Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adam Carroll possibly moving to F1

• 24-04-2009 12:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭

Has anyone heard anything about Adam Carrol's possible move to F1.It is reported that he has been in talks with a few F1 teams.

How do ye think he would cope if he was to move to Formula 1?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

yeah heard this,

Great news if it happens. It's hard to know how well he'd do. He's been pretty impressive in A1Gp and has won his fair share of GP2 races also.

Fingers crossed. Don't want to get political or anything, but what nationality will he race under?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

british as thats what the FIA see the north.. also they have to use the union jack... he could do like a lot of rally drivers from the north and maybe use the european flag?

if i remember correctly he used the union jack in gp2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Eddie Irvine was a tricky one though. He had a British passport and held a racing license issued by the Rep of Ireland but the FIA don't recognise that so he raced under the British flag. At his first podium the Union Jack was raised and at his third podium the Irish tri-colour was raised, after which his family received threatening phone calls so he agreed to have a neutral shamrock flag to be raised and the non-sectarian Londonderry Air to be played to mark a victory.

So after that I'd guess Adam Carroll will race under the British flag:( But we still claim him to be ours if he is successful.

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Eddie Irvine was a tricky one though. He had a British passport and held a racing license issued by the Rep of Ireland but the FIA don't recognise that so he raced under the British flag. At his first podium the Union Jack was raised and at his third podium the Irish tri-colour was raised, after which his family received threatening phone calls so he agreed to have a neutral shamrock flag to be raised and the non-sectarian Londonderry Air to be played to mark a victory.

So after that I'd guess Adam Carroll will race under the British flag:( But we still claim him to be ours if he is successful.

I think Irvine requested that he could raise a shamrock flag (as was on the side of his car) but the FIA refused and insisted on a union jack.

Maybe they could play Irelands Call if Carroll wins!

Expect a backlash for saying "Londonderry air" by the way!!!!

I'm just quoting Wikipedia:p

Supposedly is was mistakenly flown by the race organisers of the Argentine Grand Prix.

Ralph Firman was an Irish Formula 1 driver. He was a British citizen but his mother was Irish I think so he raced under the Irish flag scoring 1 point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Well since Carroll is a Nordie he can get a passport down here. Fairly sure he'll be able to wing it to be recognised as an "Irish" citizen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

It depends on the car he gets.

Look at Hamilton this year, if the car is a dog its game over.

Then look at Button, not a brilliant (but he is a good) driver, and he is winning. Dont kid yourself Jenson... its the car.

But winning is winning .

Carroll would win in this years Brawn/Red Bull/Toyota, but not in a Ferrari.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

smooch71 wrote: »
    yeah heard this,

Don't want to get political or anything, but what nationality will he race under?

Usually depends on where/who issues his super licence; MSA or MSI.

Really hope he gets a run, t'would be good to have a national interest in the sport again.

Certainly would especially if he got into talks with a good team with a good car.

They are all good drivers so it's the car that is the main factor. A new driver would usually take a season or two to get used to the pace and everything. Lewis was an exception and he had a very dominant car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

in regards to nationality same thing happened in world super sport when Eugene laverty won in Qatar his form the north but races on an Irish passport so when he won the race the tricolor was raised and the national anthem played much to the surprise of the British Eurosport commentators who insisted he was British

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

It would be great to see him in F1 regardless of which flag he races under.
    Did Ralph Firman have to change to an Irish racing licence from a British one in order to race under the Irish flag in F1?

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    It would be great to see him in F1 regardless of which flag he races under.
    Did Ralph Firman have to change to an Irish racing licence from a British one in order to race under the Irish flag in F1?

I think he raced under an Irish passport. Like Eddie Irvine, the nationality is decided by that rather than the licence.

I think he raced under an Irish passport. Like Eddie Irvine, the nationality is decided by that rather than the licence.
    So why did he change to an Irish licence?

So why did he change to an Irish licence?

Don't know to be honest but from what I can gather (including from some of the posts on this thread) the nationality is decided by the passport the driver carries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

From GPUdate http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/04/23/lola-could-open-doors-to-f1-for-carroll/

A1GP driver Adam Carroll is still hoping to become a Formula 1 driver one day. On Wednesday Lola Racing Cars has said they might want to enter the sport as of next season, which could be a perfect match for Carroll as Lola is owned by fellow countryman Martin Birrane.

Adam Caroll and Team Ireland is currently leading the A1GP championship ahead of next week's round at Brands Hatch. After bringing his A1GP season to a successful end Carroll eyes a role in Formula 1 next seeason. "I'm looking at my options for next year," Carroll told Irish newspaper The Independent. "This has been a great season, but I'm also looking at other opportunities and there may be options for me in F1, especially with new teams expected to come into the series."

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Chopper888

It would be good for Carroll if he got a drive in F1 but I cant see it happening as he had his chance with Honda F1 a few years ago when he was on their young driver programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I don't mean to pi$$ on anyones parade, I think its a long shot. Adam is a very competant driver, but I think in "modern-day F1" its unlikely that an F1 team would take a gamble on a driver with limited F1 seat time, especially when they are just entering (or re-entering ) the series. Would be great for him if they did, but its a longshot IMO.

I think at least another year as a test driver for Lola might be mutually beneficial if they are entering F1.

To my knowledge, as far as FIA is concerned, he is from UK, thereby he will race under that flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything about Adam Carrol's possible move to F1.It is reported that he has been in talks with a few F1 teams.

How do ye think he would cope if he was to move to Formula 1?

One thing that hasnt been noted is that Caroll was a test driver for BAR a few ago. End of the day any driver that has sucess in GP2 should be able to get a chance and when you see what he's done in A1 im not suprised to see teams interested in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Now that we know the provisional list of teams for the F1 grid next year, and that Lola aren't on the list! Where do people think Adam Carroll will be ending up? Does anyone know of any ties with any of the 3 new teams, or perhaps a potential race seat with an existing team (Brawn)?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    Now that we know the provisional list of teams for the F1 grid next year, and that Lola aren't on the list! Where do people think Adam Carroll will be ending up? Does anyone know of any ties with any of the 3 new teams, or perhaps a potential race seat with an existing team (Brawn)?

If he can't get an F1 drive I'd love to see him spend a year in IndyCar, getting to do the Indy 500 has to be near the top of a lot of drivers' wishlists.

• Advertisement

USF1, just a guess :p
    To be honest i haven't a clue, if he doesn't get into F1 i think he should stick with A1GP and try to be the first nation/driver to retain it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

USF1, just a guess :p
    To be honest i haven't a clue, if he doesn't get into F1 i think he should stick with A1GP and try to be the first nation/driver to retain it.

USF1 is going to be 100% American from what I understand.
    Wasnt there talks of A1 being dead due to the recession?
    or was I dreaming :D

vectra wrote: »
    USF1 is going to be 100% American from what I understand.
    Wasnt there talks of A1 being dead due to the recession?
    or was I dreaming :D

Yeah but they have said they will consider other drivers. To be honest I'm not a fan of USF1/Force India trying to represent their nation in F1 thats A1GP.

As far as i know A1GP have liquidated there English operations and are setting up in Portugal. Next seasons calender has been approved by the FIA so it seems to be going ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

As far as i know A1GP have liquidated there English operations and are setting up in Portugal. Next seasons calender has been approved by the FIA so it seems to be going ahead.

Pheew
    Thank god :cool:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

So kind of them to liquidate and avoid any of them pesky "paying your suppliers" problems. Who would have thought that the plaything of a middle Eastern courtier may have been lacking in financial fortitude once the money tap was turned off?

Robbo wrote: »
    So kind of them to liquidate and avoid any of them pesky "paying your suppliers" problems. Who would have thought that the plaything of a middle Eastern courtier may have been lacking in financial fortitude once the money tap was turned off?

I dont think there ever was a money tap its made losses since it began.
    Yeah its totally dodgy what they did Liquidating to avoid paying there debts.
    It cant be good for the teams when sponsors read stories about liquidation and there asking for money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 AC4 F1

Great to see you on here chatting about Adam's drive for F1! I read your thread with interest and you are very warm! Adam will of course be in F1 next year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

I dont think he will make it to f1, He tested b4 some yrs back as some one mentioned earlier so you hav to question if he were good enough why he wasnt snapped up:confused:. The other thing is his age he will be 27 nxt season and for modern f1 i think that too old to be making ur debut. If he were 21/22 id say maybe but i think his missed his chance.

enzo7 wrote: »
    I dont think he will make it to f1, He tested b4 some yrs back as some one mentioned earlier so you hav to question if he were good enough why he wasnt snapped up:confused:. The other thing is his age he will be 27 nxt season and for modern f1 i think that too old to be making ur debut. If he were 21/22 id say maybe but i think his missed his chance.

Hi - there were massive issues with the Honda test and serious politics as always in this sport! As I understand it, Adam is in final negotiations with 3 teams, has serious backing in place and will make the 2010 grid...wouldn't that be fantastico!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Slightly off-topic, but who does everyone think would make the USF1 team next year?

I reckon Marco Andretti will be one of them. Couldn't think of another driver though. Return for Scott Speed maybe?

I'm really surprised Danica Patrick hasn't been mentioned, Bernie must surely be playing around behind the scenes to try to get her in.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    No thanks F1 can do without her. She has already stated she isnt interested. Thank god f1 has enough problems without adding a driver which has one of the biggest chips on their shoulders in the history of racing.

Certainly didn't mean to suggest that she was any way deserving of the drive, just that she'd be excellent money-wise. Aren't there some who reckon the IRL would've been screwed without her? I know F1 isn't in those kind of dire straits but more money is more money.
    Though I'd like to think that we Europeans would be more "meh" about a female driver than Americans, they all seemed genuinely shocked that it could happen. :P

But hey, when someone in motorsport says they're not interested we all know that's the end of it. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

She doesn't really deserve it anyway, her only win came on an oval anyway and that won't help her in F1. I think someone like Graham Rahal would be a better choice, I'd prefer to see a younger driver anyway, and he has actually won on a proper circuit as opposed to an oval. Admittedly I know very little about US motorsport but I'd prefer to see a young driver get a chance than Patrick get it just because she's a woman.

AC4 F1 wrote: »
    Hi - there were massive issues with the Honda test and serious politics as always in this sport! As I understand it, Adam is in final negotiations with 3 teams, has serious backing in place and will make the 2010 grid...wouldn't that be fantastico!?
    Ok since you seem to be in the know give us a hint :P
    Is my earlier guess warm.(one of the 3 you speak of)

Yes it would be fantastico!

dor83 wrote: »
    She doesn't really deserve it anyway, her only win came on an oval anyway and that won't help her in F1. I think someone like Graham Rahal would be a better choice, I'd prefer to see a younger driver anyway, and he has actually won on a proper circuit as opposed to an oval. Admittedly I know very little about US motorsport but I'd prefer to see a young driver get a chance than Patrick get it just because she's a woman.

Aye but if F1 worked on who deserved drives based on skill I'd guess about half the field wouldn't be there.
    Wonder if USF1 would consider Franchitti, he may as well be american now. :pac:

• Advertisement

Ok since you seem to be in the know give us a hint :P
    Is my earlier guess warm.(one of the 3 you speak of)

Yes it would be fantastico!

I can't comment on the names that Team Carroll are chatting to just yet - sorry about that (confidentiality clauses abound). Have you had a look at Adam's new site? www.adamcarrollracing.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

I can't comment on the names that Team Carroll are chatting to just yet - sorry about that (confidentiality clauses abound). Have you had a look at Adam's new site? www.adamcarrollracing.com

are you adam carroll???:D
    seriously doe if one of these teams sign him den dats fantastic hope it works out for him.

I spoke to someone recently. Can't comment on who, confidentiality clauses and all that but I'll give you all a clue.

He works for a company that builds racing cars and whose owner also owns a racing circuit in Kildare. I'm not saying any more than that so don't ask!

Anyway, I was getting the impression that Carroll was all but signed for Lolas F1 team (oops) and when they didn't get the gig, his chances of being on the grid in 2010 were dashed.

Let's hope that's not the case though.

I spoke to someone recently. Can't comment on who, confidentiality clauses and all that but I'll give you all a clue.

He works for a company that builds racing cars and whose owner also owns a racing circuit in Kildare. I'm not saying any more than that so don't ask!

Anyway, I was getting the impression that Carroll was all but signed for Lolas F1 team (oops) and when they didn't get the gig, his chances of being on the grid in 2010 were dashed.

Let's hope that's not the case though.

Mark Gallagher from A1 Team Ireland fame was LOLA F1 MD. He joined LOLA as F1 MD on May 4 - a day after Team Irl's Brands victory. Yes, I think Adam had a good shot there - but it was not in the bag, not by a long way...

The net is now closing and high above Dublin in a private jet bell ranger heli just yesterday Adam's fate was sealed.

I think it will be a week or two yet (according to my source) before camp Carroll reveal their winning hand!

Here's a clip of Adam on Tubridy tonight earlier this year...

http://www.rte.ie/tv/tubridytonight/av_20090523.html?2550301,null,228

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 scottyccfc

So no seat for Carroll then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

As I understand it, Adam is in final negotiations with 3 teams, has serious backing in place and will make the 2010 grid

D'oh. And you got me excited with that one. A huge pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭tommytoofar

andyman wrote: »
    Slightly off-topic, but who does everyone think would make the USF1 team next year?

I reckon Marco Andretti will be one of them. Couldn't think of another driver though. Return for Scott Speed maybe?

Richard Antinucci?

Advertisement