Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this Ok?

• 24-04-2009 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Running since the Start of January from fairly unfit state.
    Have been running every 2nd day pretty much without fail(Except for a 1 week break.)
    Did a month of 2.5miles (Jan)
    Then spent most of Feb/March building up to 5 miles.
    Since then ive built myself up to 7 miles(In just under an hour)
    Really love getting out every 2nd day, look forward to it. Have a bit of a pain in one leg (day after i run, think its shin splints). Pain seems to go away when i run on it the next day though.

Feel like i could do a half marathon no problem if i eventually build up to 9 miles every 2nd day. And from then ill build myself up to having a go at the Dublin marathon in the October.

My questions are,

Is that too an intence way to train(with just a one day break in between runs that are getting longer each month)?

Is it too hard on the body to train that long (January to October) for a marathon? Will i end up damaging or exhausting the body?

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Hi pipelaser

Do you vary the runs much in terms of distance or intensity? 9 miles to 13miles (21.1km!) isn't such a big jump for one day, but it might pay to get a training plan for half or full marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

You sound as if you're doing a great job there - building up the distance slowly but with good rest and recovery. However like MrCreosote says it might now be a good idea to look at a structured half marathom programme. This will introduce variety in tempo and distance, easy and hard days, and typically one long run per week leading up to your race. (Longford might be an idea?).

I'd be inclined not to reach for a marathon too soon - it's a different animal and can wait until you've got more miles and experience in your legs.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Yeah, you're getting on fairly well for someone who says they were quite unfit 4 months ago. Hope you keep enjoying it, am sure you will, it's a bit addictive :D

6 months until the Dublin marathon will be a challenge for you alright but perfectly do-able (in my opinion). But I would recommend not to rush yourself and not risk injury. Training for my first marathon also, running in Cork in just over 5 weeks, in my opinion that hardest thing about training is not the running but the injury prevention, I'd say every part of my legs have been injured in some way or another since I started my training programme :mad:

Have a look at some of the 6 month marathon training programmes and see what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭pipelaser

OP here,
    Im not varying the distance. Just the same distance every time im out.
    Thats the question though, is it ok to run say 11 or 12 miles(when i build myself up to that i a few months) every two days(that is

Monday-12miles
    Tuesday- No run
    Wedesday-12miles
    Thursday-No run
    Friday-12miles
    Saturday-No run
    Sunday-12miles
    Monday- No run
    Tuesday-12miles
    ........etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

It would be unusual, and a heavy workload for a comparative beginner. That's why we're saying look at a structured programme which will balance out the workload and introduce shorter, faster runs plus maybe a bit of cross-training. As well as giving your body a chance to recover, avoid injury and remain fresh and motivated for each session.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

There are others here who will give you more specific training advice and the benefits of same, but from what you intend to do (ie 12 miles, rest, 12 miles, rest etc.) I think it is a recipe for:

a. running a long distance slowly (nothing wrong with that).
    b. injury (shin-splints [whateverthat is] etc.

Get a programme or modify one to suit you.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

No I don't think its alright as the others have said you need more structure.
    If I was you I would be building towards.
    Tue - 5 miles, 2/3 miles at tempo pace
    Wed - 30 mins gentle
    Friday - 5 miles, to include 4x 90 second bursts and try build them up to 8x90 seconds
    Sunday - 7 miles but try bring this up slowly towards 10/12

Theres a rule of no more than 10% increas in weekly milage and with every 4th week being a step back week. I think you've accelerated a bit too quickly with your build up and that could be why your starting to feel niggles, your muscles do not improve at the same rate as your aerobic system, so although you feel you can run longer your body might be telling you otherwise. Best of luck though and its a great buzz to be enjoyed when your improving

Advertisement