Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice to stop from flipping out! (final year project).

Options
  • 24-04-2009 3:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hey guys.....

I'm not sure why Im even posting this, maybe to get some light in a some what dark state of mind I'm currently in.

I finish up college in about 5 weeks...I've 2 projects to have finished by then. I am completley freaking out at this point. I know what both projects consist of, but yet know of the finer details..(how the finished designs will look etc).

I feel, for the first time this year..being completely uninspired an unmotivated..why?. .I dont have a clue!..panic is setting in and now I'm in that paraletic fear. I havent left things to the last minute, its just taken me forever just to get where I am right now. I'm very skilled...its just things move very slow for me until I have the hook I need, once I have that..I'm unstoppable.

any advice from recently graduated design students?...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

This happens all the time to me in college. It's perfectly normal and easy to get tired out. Sometimes you just need to slog through it and get stuff done. Here's a few other tips:

- Talk to people about your project. Any ideas, sjetches, stupid ideas etc.. talk to people, parents etc... You can get inspiration from lots of people. It's why team work is so important, and also even explaining things to others can help you re-frame the problem. Trying to do everything on your own is very hard and a bad idea, even if you're talented, getting input from a variety of sources is crucial
    - Get outside, go for a swim, a cycle or a run. Do some excercise and get away from the computer and the project. Taking nice little breaks is very important to let your subconcious think about the problems.
    - I'm not sure what the project is, but fill out these two questionaires from Pixelcraft about your project and it will help shape the goals of the project. It's hard to design without a context, so this will give you some:
    http://pixelcraft.ie/documents/pixelcraft_website_quest.doc
    http://pixelcraft.ie/documents/pixelcraft_brand_quest.doc

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭going un-reg

Thanks p, I try to do that as much as possible, but I feel like I never want to break for too long.

I just need to sink my teeth into something good to go with and build on that.

I'm currently doing an identity project for a night club, trying to come up with logo's for it, for some reason I'm finding incredibly hard, even having done pages of sketches!..

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭chocolatepan

Hi there, I really know how you feel, I was in a similar boat last year and I was not the only one. It's difficult to focus when you have so much stress on board. I found it difficult to commit to the project as then you have to go with that and work with it to the end. You will get through it though, just put in what you can at this time. Eat well, sleep well, take breaks and go out with friends. However while its important to get out for a few hours, make sure you don't ruin the next day!
    It might help to set a goal for each day, but leave the last week or so open for unexpected time spent editing etc.
    Try to relax and your ideas should start to flow. Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭going un-reg

Thanks chocolate :)

Ive made a bit of a breakthrough with one of my projects which is good, now if only the other project fell together the same way :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hamstercrusher

Hey There, yeah I know what you mean about the panic, when I was working on my final project in college I was kind of stuck in the same paraletic fear and didn know where to begin or what to do until I woke up in a panic one night over it. What I did was has been mentioned already take breaks etc etc. but what focused me was the fact i made a list. I broke everything down into what had to be done and set goals for each day. No matter if i was happy with a certain part I would move on to the stuff for the next day when I got into college the next morning. This forced my brain to focus on small chunks and while i was working my mind would link up with previous parts that wernt quite finished which finally made it all gel together, doing this i was able to get ahead of myself and had everything finished mounted and ready to go with 2 days to spare. When its broken down into small bits it seems a lot easier.This is just what happened to me hope it helps, I feel your pain. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

to all students:

when there is a final year project involved in the course, start thinking about it the minute you finish first year. Get a notepad, write ideas, observations, etc. Then you can look back on your work and maybe find a genuinely interesting solution to a problem or a concept, etc.

Advertisement