Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Craic Soc?

Options
  • 24-04-2009 5:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

What is the deal with this soc? All I can find is something about it being closed down 2005-2006 and some references to it in graffiti in the UCD tunnels?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Well, you kinda hope that ever Society has its own Craic, and you wouldn't need a Society for Craic specifically. It's not as if UCD has a Craic problem, I thought.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

I think there's a pretty strong overlap between their interests & activities and those of Dutch soc...

Speaking of which... woeful weather, approximately 4000 heavies shipped in for the day. I don't think this is going to be an end of term to remember...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭r14

If I remeber correctly they got shut down after having a massive party on the playing pitch outside roebuck. Security took everyones student cards and I assume they got in sh*t.

Large overlap with Dutch soc and a very strong interest in the cultivation of certain plants. Don't think they were ever official and they got shut down pretty quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Craic Soc had its day in the early and middle part of this decade. Im not too sure of the history behind it, but it had a huge following within the CFE (Campaign For Free Education). It was a fairly lefty thing to be involved with, but in spite of my polar opposite leanings to many of these guys (chairing the Young PDs and all), they put on fantastic shindigs and I attended a few, over one or two of the more conventional college parties.

Lake 2 at the end of term was the venue du jour, and by god was it fun. Services would not touch the crowd that appeared. In April 2005, it was the most diverse members of campus who turned up there. The weather was ok, but it got fairly dull. People were being flung into the lake, which apparently contains all sorts of animal related bric-a-brac from the vet building.

But it was a mad party, and a proper two finger salute to the college authorities in many ways. I would still look back upon this as the best day I had in UCD, and I had a variety of great days.

In September 2005 a first craic soc party of the term was shut down quickly (I had fresher's flu, but that wouldnt stop me attending, or trying to), and Services had their bases covered when it came to the society's summer party in 2006, and it was quickly broken up. Since then I have heard nothing of craic soc, and I believe most of those who "ran" it have left college by now.

facebook event invites say differently... nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more...

• Advertisement

FEE ! FEE ! FEE ! FEE ! FEE !

Het-Field wrote: »
    FEE ! FEE ! FEE ! FEE ! FEE !

I'm gonna ignore the BS agenda and concentrate on my drinking...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Het-field summed them up well.

Briefly,

A group of people who viewed the college authorities (the man) as a draconian group out to zap the fun out of college decided to do something.

They were mostly friends of a left wing persuadion who know each other already.

They organised some big parties, usually at the secreat lake, usually at the start and end of term.

Some among them felt that the parties werent enough and wanted to do more to fight the man. This included several acts of vandalism.

This the man couldnt turn a blind eye to. I think one prominent member was an SU sabbatical officer. He was targeted and discipled along with others. The authorites now take a proactive approach to craicsoc and are usually informed of parties and break them up with great zeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mad lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Het-Field wrote: »
    But it was a mad party, and a proper two finger salute to the college authorities in many ways. I would still look back upon this as the best day I had in UCD, and I had a variety of great days.

By far the best day UCD had in yonks. Probably the last great hurrah before the soul of UCD got sucked out somehow.

• Advertisement

scop wrote: »
    By far the best day UCD had in yonks. Probably the last great hurrah before the soul of UCD got sucked out somehow.

I think modularisation and semesterisation was brought in three months later. Amazing, the prophecy was correct.

scop wrote: »
    Actually if you'd have been around for end of term 07 you would have loved it. Great free session in the pit, brilliant weather had everyone out on the GAA pitches from noon till midnight, I think it was my favourite end of term (5 years and counting ;))

mad lad wrote: »
    That site is full of BS, I was at most of those events. The quotes from craic soc members are so cringy and fight teh p0w3e!11! Plus the start of term 2005 "mayhem" was a week before the craic soc party, the two werent related!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mad lad

the two werent related!
    As an organiser of both, I can say that you are factually incorrect.

mad lad wrote: »
    As an organiser of both, I can say that you are factually incorrect.
    The first day of 2005, the partying and fire lighting outside the student bar? There didnt seem to be any organising to it, it looked like one of those things that just happened. I didnt hear of any plans to have the party, like most people there I was hanging out with friends in the sun and the thing just erupted - just like end of term 07. When the weather is good, and theres an excuse, students go nuts.

What organisation went into it? What role did craic soc play?

Advertisement