Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NZ-Not all it's cracked up to be!

Options
  • 24-04-2009 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

Sure it's got a lot.
    Great people, high mountains, wild forests, deserted beaches, wild winds, magic surf, nice place to work, pineapple lumps, pukekos.

BUT WHY DON'T I GET MONDAY OFF WHEN A PUBLIC HOLIDAY IS ON A WEEKEND!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

:)

For much the same reason that GOOD FRIDAY IS NOT A PUBLIC HOLIDAY IN IRELAND, EVEN THOUGH EASTER MONDAY IS!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

But I get to work for some of it and paid extra and earn a day in lieu :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

ha, easter monday was my first time EVER getting off for a public holiday. i can't even begin to explain the shock at my discovery that i actually got paid to not work. im still in a good mood from that, tbh, so ill live with not getting monday off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Seriously, don't get me started on the ridiculousness of today being a public holiday but not getting a day of work for it. I was absolute furious that when I went out to brunch with my OH this morning all places were charging the %15 public holiday surchage. What an absolute rip-off. It's a normal saturday as far I'm and most other people are concerned. I found a place that had no surcharge and we went there - no way was I paying the %15 extra. I was fuming. If anyone got in my way as I stomped through the streets of wellington this morning I apologise. I was very angry. I went in with my bf to get his birthday present and all the shops were closed and I was getting ripped off for brunch.

It's seriously backwards.

Even worse, Waitangi day is on a Saturday next year and you guessed it, no day off work.

Either it's a public holiday or it's not. Don't be half-assed about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

watna wrote: »
    It's a normal saturday as far I'm and most other people are concerned.

I guess you didn't join the thousands at the dawn parade, or any of the other services during the day, then.

Normal, it is not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Sure it's got a lot.
    Great people, high mountains, wild forests, deserted beaches, wild winds, magic surf, nice place to work, pineapple lumps, pukekos.

BUT WHY DON'T I GET MONDAY OFF WHEN A PUBLIC HOLIDAY IS ON A WEEKEND!!!

Because you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Because you don't.

Harsh, but so true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

JustMary wrote: »
    :)

For much the same reason that GOOD FRIDAY IS NOT A PUBLIC HOLIDAY IN IRELAND, EVEN THOUGH EASTER MONDAY IS!

That always does my head in! Especially when you've one of those calendars that show it coloured in, but with a little "Holiday UK only" faintly visible...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

same here in QLD - hence being in work today...what a rip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I worked Actual ANZAC Day/Evening so I have no sympathy.

No two up , No pots, No pies

Even Go Breatho'd on the drive to work

• Advertisement
Advertisement