Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

while im having a rant..that youth centre on henry st

Options
  • 24-04-2009 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

any time i walk past it you see nothing but lowlifes hanging around outside.good job its across the road from the garda station.ive been told people on this youth schemes get paid to bake,lads get paid to be on a "soccer scheme" wtf?
    most young people i know are busy either working or studying or trying to look for work
    if they want regeneration to work they should include the youth from all areas not just give all the money to scobes.out in u.l i hear you can get a scholarship for being from a tough area.....places arent bad areas just have a few bad people but some people will milk it.i mean if your going to college surely your a decent person while put a bad area chip on your shoulder or is that good for th c.v and street cred.i wouldnt know im posh being from dooradoyle shur:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Once I had a dealing with the youth centre there. It's true that it is full of scummers. I wouldn't send my one there! But that place is the only place that would give them a bit of eductation and something to do. No other school would take them (back)...

They are getting payd AFAIK only if they attend their "courses". So the money is an incentive that they attend those courses. Not sure if this is right or wrong...

And I have the utmost respect for the teachers dealing with that clientele!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Dont they go to the red tech in O'Connell Ave too? Or am I mistaken?
    Also i dont understand why they have to pay them to get them educated!

And its true what the OP said, some people from disadvantaged areas will always try and milk the system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

i doubt their doing a 40 hour week for their "wages"...god the poor things getting paid to learn baking,play soccer and get bought on day trips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Pshan

i doubt their doing a 40 hour week for their "wages"...god the poor things getting paid to learn baking,play soccer and get bought on day trips

Is it not better to pay them while increasing their skills than giving them hand outs from the SW office for lounging around?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

This sort of thing is common enough. 1 disadvantaged area in Limerick pay youths to study for their group cert and leaving cert. I know 1 teacher there. I even think they get their meals free. They have to turn up of course and don't get paid if they don't. I guess we have resorted to bribing young scummers now to stay in education or learn new skills in the hope they don't leech off society in the future and/or become criminals, while the rest of us pay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Pshan wrote: »
    Is it not better to pay them while increasing their skills than giving them hand outs from the SW office for lounging around?

Their parents should enforce discipline and make them go to school!

But thats for a whole other discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Dont they go to the red tech in O'Connell Ave too?

No, that's different there and not as worse as Henry St. I know someones kid going there. The kid is just a bit difficult but definately not a scummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

that place is just good practice so when they're old enough to draw the dole they wont feel bad taking money for **** all

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The majority of them are in there to avoid a criminal record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

This should really be in the definitive restaurant thread tbf...

The Michelin Star can't be far off now for the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Flaccus wrote: »
    They have to turn up of course and don't get paid if they don't.

That puts them on a level above TDs, so.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

This should really be in the definitive restaurant thread tbf...

The Michelin Star can't be far off now for the place.

They do a mean ham cheese and coleslaw sandwich, one of the cheapest ones in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Berty wrote: »

What do you mean by that?

phog wrote: »

whilst i'm not berty i reckon he means they'd be acting the ballox if they weren't in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

No try again...

More along the lines of "My client has enrolled in a youth program and is on the straight and narrow since he <insert offence> blah blah blah horse****."

What number offence is that now...must get my calculator :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

phog wrote: »
    Iang87 wrote: »
    whilst i'm not berty i reckon he means they'd be acting the ballox if they weren't in there

What I meant was:

The courts would give some of them the option of working there instead of having a criminal record.*

*Not all of them of course. Everyboys situation is different.

What I meant was:

The courts would give some of them the option of working there instead of having a criminal record.*

i see apologies bertie for my previous assumption

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

What I meant was:

Thanks for clarifying that because I would think from my knowledge of the centre that your first post would NOT be close to the truth if you feel they're there because of a court appearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭FredH3as

Owning a Daniel O'Donnell LP isn't that bad....

thats untrue thats punishable by death in some parts of the world including here. Its just the majority that own these cd's are so close to death anyway its normally overlooked and nature takes course

• Advertisement
Advertisement