Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast / Lunch in Carrick....please help!!

• 24-04-2009 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭

I wonder if anyone could help me with a little query….we’re off to carrick in a couple of weeks for a bit of a hen-night-bash and we’re going to be meeting up on the Saturday at about 11 to have a bite to eat before all the messing begins! ;) Would any of you experts be able to recommend a nice spot for a bit of breakfast/lunch for a big gang. It doesn’t matter if it’s a pub or a café, we’d just like a nice spot to kick off the weekend - somewhere big enough (there’ll be nearly 20 of us) that does nice grub! And if you happened to know if they would take a reservation or not that’d be great

Thanks a million Leitrm-ites……..lookin forward to our weekend up there!! :D:D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

cryans bar/hotel,
    carrick on shannon
    great local food, and a good clean bar/reception/restruant,

they have just opened the new end of it in the last year-18 months and they are doing up the old bar,

you wont get better food anywhere else and its the only place in town that can source the food right back to the pig/cow

family run business with friendly staff and they would be glad to give you a few tips on where to go in the town on your tour,
    francis cryan is who you want ,shes the boss,

my family has held every event there for decades now and we have never been let down,

there are a few other places that arrived in the last few years, but the food is still walking and the service would make you think you were dealing with yupees from america/england with the accents they put on, and that normally puts people off

cryans always has a friendly service and you will always be welcomed with a smile,, lots of trad music there aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭becah

Hi there,

Cuin House does breakfasts but you might need to call them to book, I've never had breakfast there, but I have had lunch and it was nice, the only thing is it's about a 5min walk out of the town centre, here's the number: 071 9671488, check out www.ciuinhouse.com.
    Oh and here is their breakfast menu:http://www.ciuinhouse.com/downloads/ciuinhouse-breakfast-menu.pdf

The Landmark hotel does breakfast too, call them on 071-96-22222 for details, check out http://www.thelandmarkhotel.com/dining.html#aromas.thelandmarkhotel.com.

I'm pretty sure the Larder cafe in the Market Yard does breakfast, space is limited inside, but there's really nice outdoor seating if it's a nice day, call 071-9650525 for info.

If you fancy bringing breakfast back to where your staying or if the weather is nice, bringing it as a picnic to forest park in Boyle, or the small park in carrick beside MBNA, there's a really nice deli called the Good Food Hall beside the Bush Hotel on Main Street. They do fresh juices & smoothies, breads, salads, cakes and sandwiches. I don't have a number for it handy, but it's beside and run in association with the Bush Hotel, so call them for info: 071 96 71000

Hope this helps, let us know if you need any more carrick info, enjoy your weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭becah

cryans bar/hotel,
    carrick on shannon
    great local food, and a good clean bar/reception/restruant,

they have just opened the new end of it in the last year-18 months and they are doing up the old bar,

you wont get better food anywhere else and its the only place in town that can source the food right back to the pig/cow

family run business with friendly staff and they would be glad to give you a few tips on where to go in the town on your tour,
    francis cryan is who you want ,shes the boss,

my family has held every event there for decades now and we have never been let down,

there are a few other places that arrived in the last few years, but the food is still walking and the service would make you think you were dealing with yupees from america/england with the accents they put on, and that normally puts people off

cryans always has a friendly service and you will always be welcomed with a smile,, lots of trad music there aswell

Don't get me wrong, Cryans is a nice spot with good service, but as a 20-something, I would personally find it a little too traditional for somewhere to go with a big group of girls, it's a meat & 2 veg/irish stew kinda place, good food, but not very adventurous, more of a place that you'd go for sunday lunch with grandparents, but still a nice place!

I would really have to disagree with your comments
    "there are a few other places that arrived in the last few years, but the food is still walking and the service would make you think you were dealing with yupees from america/england with the accents they put on, and that normally puts people off"

I come down to Carrick regularly with groups of friends, relations etc from all over the country, Dublin and from abroad, and we have experienced great service and food in pretty much every place to eat in Carrick, e.g. anywhere in the Landmark, Victoria Hall, the Oarsman, the Good Food Hall, the Larder, Shamrat Indian, Ciuin House etc.
    Any guests that I have brought down with me have always been commented on the fact that there are loads of great dining options in Carrick, so I really wouldn't agree that cryans is the only place to go and everywhere else has bad food and service

fair enough becah,

your entitled to your opinion

but i live in the locality im a local born and bread as is all my previous generations of family and i know certain people who work in other eating houses ,and i will not mention names ,but i cant tell you that other than cryans ,i would not be eating anywhere else in carrick apart from the anchorage chipper,or cryans

when certain people come into the local and get a few drinks in to them the truth spills about ,
    1. where they source their food,
    2.how many days its been cooked,pre heated and pre heated
    3. how many times it fell on the floor and i could go on for years

now i do not drink my self only the very very odd time but i still socalise and i remember all of these statments the next day when i get up .

another good place for a breakfast is gills in leitrim village

there are a few longstanding family run houses dotted around the county but i would not be in a hurry to book a table in ching chongs, or what ever they want to call themselves,

i would also have to agree that coffees do good food as do the bush, and the soda fountain used to be great aswell but i think thats a clothes shop now

if your just looking for the breakfast roll ,kennedys on the dublin road wont be beat ,best roll in the county for over 10 years now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭godihatethehils

thanks a mill for the advice guys, will look into them and make a few calls!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Murtaghs is a great spot for food - especially to start the night off.

fair enough becah,

your entitled to your opinion

but i live in the locality im a local born and bread as is all my previous generations of family and i know certain people who work in other eating houses ,and i will not mention names ,but i cant tell you that other than cryans ,i would not be eating anywhere else in carrick apart from the anchorage chipper,or cryans

when certain people come into the local and get a few drinks in to them the truth spills about ,
    1. where they source their food,
    2.how many days its been cooked,pre heated and pre heated
    3. how many times it fell on the floor and i could go on for years

now i do not drink my self only the very very odd time but i still socalise and i remember all of these statments the next day when i get up .

another good place for a breakfast is gills in leitrim village

there are a few longstanding family run houses dotted around the county but i would not be in a hurry to book a table in ching chongs, or what ever they want to call themselves,

i would also have to agree that coffees do good food as do the bush, and the soda fountain used to be great aswell but i think thats a clothes shop now

if your just looking for the breakfast roll ,kennedys on the dublin road wont be beat ,best roll in the county for over 10 years now

The anchorage chipper has been muck since it was leased.There is no really nice resteraunts in Carrick.They are all just "grand".The only top class restaurant we had was Manfreds out in Cootehall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

For breakfast/lunch for a hen party there's nothing wrong with Cryan's. It's a nice enough spot and it's at the right end of town. And it serves alcohol! ;)

As an aside, Frances Cryan represented Ireland in the Olympics.

She was interviewed many years ago by my father. The interview is here:

http://www.carrickrowingclub.com/frances.htm

jhmeg your a geenius

thanks ,atleast someone else appreciates the good food, friendly service, the cleanlyness ,the hospitality

and its the only longstanding family run business still remaining in the town,

a credit to the cryans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

It is a credit to the Cryan's, they always ran a nice business there, even when it was a pub. I was talking to Liam recently. Very nice chap.

It must be said tho that Carrick for its size has a fantastic amount of good eateries, most within walking distance of each other.

• Advertisement

jhmeg your a geenius

thanks ,atleast someone else appreciates the good food, friendly service, the cleanlyness ,the hospitality

and its the only longstanding family run business still remaining in the town,

a credit to the cryans

Seriously lad, you are starting to sound like a shill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

i am from the area too and Cryans is good, but it's true, the restaurant is old-fashioned.The food is good and reliable but it's nothing exciting, it's safe. And family and old people full. I'm a fan of the pub for drinking in though - its my favourite pub in town.
    For food I really don-t like the Italian on the corner beside the Tower clock- good space but service isn't great and food is just okay. Not really a great atmosphere. Sure they're always giving away free bottles of wine, etc. to entice business.

The Landmark for a group could be the best option. Great fun, lovely decor, great atmosphere and the food is divine... I go there a lot of Sundays with friends just for a bite to eat and a chat. It's cool. For a group of girls starting their night off I honestly think it's your best option! Tis right at the heart of things too.

Have a great time in Leitrim :)

Advertisement