Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP - All Programs not working

Options
  • 24-04-2009 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

hello, first time post, unfortunately it is with a question, and i hope someone can help! Ive never really been this stumped before.

I've googled and searched the hell out of this, but cant get anywhere, its difficult to even come up with search criteria for the problem.

Its a problem to shake the very pillars of hell!

Here goes.
    Dell Precision M90 Laptop - Windows XP SP3 boots up as per normal. BUT.. Only volume and "USB eject" show in system tray.
    No AVG, ZONE ALARAM, Internet connection etc. in system tray.
    CTRL ALT DELETE doesnt work - cant view task manager.
    No programs - NONE - work. I double click but no window opens.
    All my files are intact , so i havent lost anything. I can open folders - but NOT "my computer" for which the window opens-but it stalls then.

In safe mode, I can use my progs- Ran AVG /SBYBOT,LAVASOFT, nothing shows up.
    SYSTEM RESTORE from safe mode does not work - I just dont know why. After running the restore "process it just says cannot restore to this point".. Ive tried it at about 5 restore points- no luck.

So anyone experienced anything like this? Is it something simple?
    Is there a way you can use your safe mode settings for a regular boot?

My best bet at the moment (to my knowledge) is a windows repair install, but dont really want to go there.

Thanks alot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

If you have Zone alarm installed it sounds like it has locked down your machine, Uninstall Zone alarm in safe mode then reinstall if you need it.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Sorry should have said, a good way of knowing if it's Zone alarm is go into your service applet and if most of your services are stopped then that's what's wrong

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 RJBaracuda

Now your talking uch, in work now, but will try this later - Im banking on this one - it sounds about right.. best suggestion i've got. I'm hoping its something simple like this.
    thanks alot- will let you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

uch wrote: »
    If you have Zone alarm installed it sounds like it has locked down your machine, Uninstall Zone alarm in safe mode then reinstall if you need it.
    Woa, don't do that - Zone Alarm would never prevent the All Programs menu from showing. Something is messing with the computer, maybe it's Active Desktop or a Web Page locked to the desktop or some soft of spyware.

What changes have you made recently to your computer? Any new software / tweaks / changes done at all?

no new installs, no updates, unless a windows update slipped by me, ran a tune-up utilities clean up about 3 weeks ago- computer has been working perfectly, cant understand it.
    About a year ago my internet stopped for no apparent reason, it took me a couple of days to find out that this was Zone Alarms fault,... so i naturally jump at the oppertunity to blame it for anything now!

• Advertisement

RJBaracuda wrote: »
    no new installs, no updates, unless a windows update slipped by me, ran a tune-up utilities clean up about 3 weeks ago- computer has been working perfectly, cant understand it.
    About a year ago my internet stopped for no apparent reason, it took me a couple of days to find out that this was Zone Alarms fault,... so i naturally jump at the oppertunity to blame it for anything now!
    I assume you can still use the internet in Safe Mode?

If so, download and run Hijack This and post of the log of it.

http://download.hijackthis.eu/HJTInstall.exe

Thanks cpu-dude, such a pain in the a*rse when things like this happen. will post the log, as soon as i can. Cant wait to get to the bottom of this. Just to get myself in gear for the unavoidable though, in the meantime -does anyone know if i do a repair windows install, will my progs still work, or will i have to uninstall then reinstall all progs?

Thanks cpu-dude, such a pain in the a*rse when things like this happen. will post the log, as soon as i can. Cant wait to get to the bottom of this. Just to get myself in gear for the unavoidable though, in the meantime -does anyone know if i do a repair windows install, will my progs still work, or will i have to uninstall then reinstall all progs?
    You need an XP install disc. You can boot from it and once it get's to the Install Menu, there is an option to Repair a Windows Installation. Not sure if this is the problem in this case but it's worth a shot.

xp%20recovery%20Invalid%20partition%20table%202.gif

thanks, doing the reapir install is no prob, but just wondering if all my installed programs and drivers which have components rooted in the registry/system folder etc, will need to be reinstalled also. If so, I may aswell do a full wipe... anyway, hopefully it wont come to this, just wondering, and thanks again for your replies.

thanks, doing the reapir install is no prob, but just wondering if all my installed programs and drivers which have components rooted in the registry/system folder etc, will need to be reinstalled also. If so, I may aswell do a full wipe... anyway, hopefully it wont come to this, just wondering, and thanks again for your replies.
    Your applications etc. will be fine, it just reinstalls Windows. A full wipe is always more so recommended but I'd try the Repair first, just in case it does sort the issue - it will save you reinstalling everything. But as I said, Hijack Log first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

I had a simulor problem but when i tried the repair option the XP sp2(i fought like hell to get from Dell,as they had not shipped it or the utilitys&drivers cds)the message i got was sorry you have a newer version of windows and only offered a clean install:(

I am not sure if installing sp3 or installing net framework 3.5 on feb 2nd is the newer version?

I know it makes no sense but i tried everything you did without sucess.
    I switched off the desktop in disgust for over a day and all was back to normal next time i booted up:confused::confused:

I have my settings to notify me of updates but dont download them now,I wait a while after fresh updates and check around the net before installing any major ones now as microsoft updates often caused me problems

cpu-dude- will defo try the hijack this log.
    ynotdu...i only wish that this would just go back to normal. Yes I too am very vigilant about major updates also, and also wait a good while, and check up before letting them through. thats why problems like this are annoying. At least if i installed a new windows update the night before it stopped working etc.. then id have some way of easily pinpointing the problem. my XP disk is up to date for SP2. I think theres a way of making a new CD, and slip streaming SP3 onto it, but what a hassle. Urgh, may switch off PC forever in disgust!

Ok guys, case closed!
    So, First thing i did was create a new user login, while in safemode.
    This was before i even try to uninstall ZA or go through msconfig.etc, etc. Lo' and Behold.. New user account worked perfectly. Hmmmm.... Ran AVG Full scan, as well as a host of antispyware apps etc...And A virus was found, by AVG no less.
    Trojan Horse PSW. Agent ZQN. - Sounds pretty scary, like a bond villain/code name for a biological weapon.
    So im putting it all down to the virus, thank you all for the help. very informed, very useful.

Advertisement