Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crushing egg shells and throwing them on the soil - is it ok?

Options
  • 24-04-2009 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

Ive heard its ok but is it bad if plants are presently growing nearby?

Is it ok to dig in and then plant veg in that soil within days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

hedgeh0g, eggshells can be used as a soil amendment, to deter pests, and as a liquid feed.
    Here's a piece on it... Eggshells in your garden, the benefits for growers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

hedgeh0g, eggshells can be used as a soil amendment, to deter pests, and as a liquid feed.
    Here's a piece on it... Eggshells in your garden, the benefits for growers.

Only thing I'd do is rinse them before you crush them as any egg residue can attract rats.....

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Andip wrote: »
    Only thing I'd do is rinse them before you crush them as any egg residue can attract rats.....

Already covered in the piece....

"The way to go about harnessing this is to firstly remove the membrane from inside the shell of raw eggs (no need on boiled ones), wash them out well with warm water, and then leave them to air dry." ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Quartet

Alternatively add them to your compost bin so that they break down more easily...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Quartet wrote: »
    Alternatively add them to your compost bin so that they break down more easily...

Yep - that's what I do. I usually crush them first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

crosstownk wrote: »
    Yep - that's what I do. I usually crush them first.

+1 on that

Advertisement