Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish prices

• 24-04-2009 11:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Ok so after 3 months im going to invest in a new lens. The one ive chosen is the nikon 55-200 vr f4-5.6. The problem is this;
    The cheapest i can find in ireland is €300 new, whereas online it can be got for 173 sterling. Ok so factor in 10% for currency exchange and 10% for the so called increased overheads that irelands retailers have to deal with and this puts the cost of the lens at about €215.

Can someone tell me where the other €85 has gone? I really want to buy irish but how can you unless money is no object in which case you wouldnt be buying this lens anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Some points to think about

You might want to factor VAT into your calculation we have VAT of 21.5 they have vat of 17% (open to correction)

You're not comparing like with like, it's not fair to compare an online english shop with a bricks and mortar Irish shop. Either compare online there Vs Online here or Off line there Vs Offline here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

Yeah, I saved over 600e by buying the 50D kit in the UK. Average price here is around 1600euro. I bought when the exchange rate was at 0.92 so that would explain some of the saving but not 600e worth..

Its pure greed, no other reason for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Ok so after 3 months im going to invest in a new lens. The one ive chosen is the nikon 55-200 vr f4-5.6. The problem is this;
    The cheapest i can find in ireland is €300 new, whereas online it can be got for 173 sterling. Ok so factor in 10% for currency exchange and 10% for the so called increased overheads that irelands retailers have to deal with and this puts the cost of the lens at about €215.

Can someone tell me where the other €85 has gone? I really want to buy irish but how can you unless money is no object in which case you wouldnt be buying this lens anyway.

A nice bit of holiday money for the man in the shop ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

In the CEC (current econom.....blah) I couldn't justify 'buying Irish' !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

OP,
    Just out of curiosity, did you go into a bricks and mortar camera shop to handle the lens, fit it to your camera, speak to the salesman behind the counter etc?
    If so, then therein lies a portion of the 85 euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

What about Jessops in Newry? they are brick and mortar..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

YAWN...not this tired old question again. It's almost as bad as the CANON (yay Canon) vs. nikon (boo hiss!) debate :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

In fairness there is a lot of greed in the brick and mortar.
    Be it Irish retailers or the well known price differences in the english retailers here.
    ts hard to walk a way from our own and I am sure we would all like to support an Irish retailer but in this climate they need to realise that the big profits are not to be had anymore.
    My recent purchases:
    40d - Gunnes the service was great and the difference in price was minimal.
    Sigma lens - online uk- saved over €175.00
    None of the retailers here would entertain a discount.
    Frankly there are two of those shops who will never see me again. One downright lied to my face and the other was rude beyond belief and in front of his boss. If it was one of my staff behaving that way hell he would have had his p45 before he finished the sentance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Yep,I've been into Jessops in Newry, bought some film,rubber lens hoods and a bag for my tripod. I wasn't overly impressed though as they don't hold much stock in the big ticket items.
    When you wander round the side streets of Munich, there must be at least 10 camera shops, shelved to the ceiling with new and S/H stock, its obvious to me that the Bavarians prefer to spend a fair portion of their money locally rather than online.
    I was looking for a A12 back for a Hassleblad, one shop owner picked up the phone to call a competitor to check if he had one and then gave me directions to the other shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

in fairness to the shops in Dublin - they do reward their customers (discount/deals) ..... but they have to recognise and remember you - which means you have to go there a number of times and pay (irish prices).

At least with a B&M (bricks and mortar) shop you can talk with the person/ haggle/ bring it back if theres a problem ....Yes ! you can post back to an online supplier but chances are that the B&M shop cant avoid or ignore you as easily as online service.

I think in times of recession buy where you save as much money as possible - search secondhand for the lens you have chosen and be patient - you might be able to find a bargain.

Anyways - just my two cents

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 gorilla_image

Just as a comparison. Nikon SB-900 in Dublin shops (no names) €480 incl. Vat, Calumet Belfast 329 GBP incl. VAT = about €380.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

In the CEC (current econom.....blah) I couldn't justify 'buying Irish' !!

I didn't justify it during the 'boom' either. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

YAWN...not this tired old question again. It's almost as bad as the CANON (yay Canon) vs. nikon (boo hiss!) debate :pac:

Agreed, Done.To.Death. And for the record, obviously Nikon is 100000000000000000% better. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Unfortunately I've worked in the computer/electrical/some photography equipment retail industry here.

There's an enormous amount of greed in the sector, from the salespeople to their managers, to the managers manager, to the suppliers etc.

A catastrophical amount of money left our economy at Christmas and made its way into the North, the UK and other countries through online shopping or cheap trips abroad specifically for shopping and the bigger multi-national companies here, though lost out on a lot of revenue, barely took note.

Sure, if they can be somewhat competitive then by all means support the small, Irish owned stores with great reputations for customer service like Gunns, Conns etc but personally, where possible, I will do my best to avoid giving the large electronics retailers here another cent when it can be gotten so much cheaper online or in the UK.

Also, the sheer level of ignorance in the industry is astounding, from product knowledge or technical knowledge to basic consumer laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

PCPhoto wrote: »
    in fairness to the shops in Dublin - they do reward their customers (discount/deals) ..... but they have to recognise and remember you - which means you have to go there a number of times and pay (irish prices).

I disagree, if you walk into one of the larger retailers and you've never purchased something before, you should 100% push for a heavy discount. Sales staff are generally on commission or on targets and will try their best to get your money in the door, even if it means going as low as they actually can. They will often refer to their managers, who will then go as low as they possibly can just to get your cash in as it's so "competitive" at the moment for the little bit of money that happens to be out there.

Advertisement