Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car for America for the Summer

• 24-04-2009 11:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭

Going to California for the summer and planning on buying a cheap car between a couple of us and going on a road trip to New York. The car is most likely to be a piece of crap... only need it for a week.

My question is whats the story with insurance. Could we just get insured for the week ? And any ideas on what to do with it when we are leaving ? Presume we can just sell it or give it to someone when we get there ??

Thanks,

DM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭duckmusic

Anyone ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

Firstly, it seems highly unlikely you'll drive the width of North America in a week! :eek: It's a very ambitious timeframe - you might want to rethink that.

Secondly, renting a car would probably be a lot cheaper and a lot less hassle/paperwork.

Arcee wrote: »
    Firstly, it seems highly unlikely you'll drive the width of North America in a week! :eek: It's a very ambitious timeframe - you might want to rethink that.

Secondly, renting a car would probably be a lot cheaper and a lot less hassle/paperwork.

Google says it should take about 43 hours of non stop driving so i dont think a time frame of about 8 or 9 days is to unreasonable. Its no big deal if it take a bit longer. The problem with renting a car is I wont be able to drop it back because Iw ill be over the other side of the country.

We are leaving from NY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

most rental firms allow you to drop the car back at a branch in a different state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

duckmusic wrote: »
    Google says it should take about 43 hours of non stop driving so i dont think a time frame of about 8 or 9 days is to unreasonable. Its no big deal if it take a bit longer. The problem with renting a car is I wont be able to drop it back because Iw ill be over the other side of the country.

The fastest coast to coast ever was by Gumball144 in a shade under 32 hours & 7 minutes with an average speed of 93 mph. You'll get there in a week but won't have any time to stop or to come back. Plus a huge fuel bill.

Maybe plan for two weeks?
    I wont be able to drop it back because Iw ill be over the other side of the country.

Most hire companies eg Hertz will allow you drop it back at any hire location.

I presume your old enough to drive in all US states and old enough to hire a car? It can be 21 or 25 in some places.

EDIT: Beat me too it :)

Ha, I dont plan on setting any records for it.. 2 weeks might be the better option ! It might be worth looking into renting a car. It just seemed like a good idea to spend about $1000 on a car drive across the country and then sell it the other side of the country for maybe $300 or $400 before I go home. At least that way I would have a car for the whole summer and I dont think I could afford to rent one for 3 months.

I will be 22 so I presume I will be ok to drive. I have a full license for 3 years so have loads of driving experience.

Thanks for the replies. You have given me something to think about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

Yeah, you want to be able to at least see a bit of the country along the way. I know someone who did it in 3 weeks. They got to see a good bit but still felt a little rushed.

Rental companies should have no problem with you renting in one location and returning it to another but you might have to pay a bit extra for being under 25. Check it out with a few companies.

Have fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

duckmusic wrote: »
    Ha, I dont plan on setting any records for it.. 2 weeks might be the better option ! It might be worth looking into renting a car. It just seemed like a good idea to spend about $1000 on a car drive across the country and then sell it the other side of the country for maybe $300 or $400 before I go home. At least that way I would have a car for the whole summer and I dont think I could afford to rent one for 3 months.

I will be 22 so I presume I will be ok to drive. I have a full license for 3 years so have loads of driving experience.

Thanks for the replies. You have given me something to think about.

You might pick one up for $1000 but it won't be great. I don't think America's second hand market is great at the minute and American cars are, not wishing to cause offence, absolutely sh*te. You might also have a hard time selling it in time.

Don't know what the story is with getting the ownership details changed over and how long that takes. Tax etc along with insurance. Its a lot of paperwork if you ask me, made much more difficult as I presume you arn't US resident?

As said before, I'd rent. Much less paper work but a class idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Fabio

Nice idea to buy the car but if I were you I'd rent...check prices online with the rental companies and yeah you can drop the car back to another rental place of their's with no real hassle plus if you have a tip, they're insurance covers it. Less hassle for you overall.

• Advertisement
Advertisement