Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xsara VTS

• 24-04-2009 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Anyone ever drove one? There is absolutely nothing on boards about them but I think they are the most under-rated hot-hatches. I had one (1998 vts 169 bhp) for 6 years and it was genuinly quick and very reliable (for a citroen) bar the usual odd electrical fault here and there.

Now I know that they look pretty awful but that was half the fun, burning people in fancy boy racers and imagining their faces when they realise its a xsara!!:D

Theres not a whole lot of them around either which is good in my opinion and you can pick them up for around €1000-1500, and the insurance is cheap on them too.

It was my first car so maybe theres a bit of sentamentality creeping in, jus interested to see what others think of them?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭eljono

I had the loan of a VTS for a few weeks back in 2003/2004. Really enjoyed driving it. I was never a fan of the styling of the Xsara, but I would have no problems owning a VTS. It was a rapid thing to go with a rorty exhaust note. Handling was pretty well set up too although I reckon a GTi-6 306 has a nicer feel to it. One thing that stuck out was that the seats were really comfortable with good side bolstering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭jimmyskank

Yeah your right, every car I have driven since I still compare the seats to that of the vts, damn they were comfy and supportive!! Same engine as the GTI-6 I think but the pug has a better rep, and looks better, and its probably reflected in the depreciation!

In fairness I think if the vts had a better exterior design it would have sold alot more cause they are crackin little motors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

When i worked in a Citroen Dealership, Gallic Disctributors had a pair of 2.0 180bhp VTS coupes with the full wide-arch body kit of the rally car, and all the livery associated with it.

Any time you'd go down to the down for your lunch, people used to think it was an actual rally car, it was that convincing.

It was a really good car to drive, fairly quick for a normally aspirated engine too. It was thirsty on juice though. There was also a massive wobble in the steering, caused by the 18" multispokes OZ's on it.

If you are looking for a cheap, fun car, and you come across one of these, think seriously about it. They're a decent car IMO.

Theres one on CBG now with the Wrc kit on it, its blue I think. I prefere them without the kit but thats jus my opinion. The one I had was awfull thirsty aswell but I was doing feck all miles so it was'nt a problem. The difference in insurance prices between the vts and say anything with a GTI badge is quite amazing also, vts is very easy to insure (my first car when I was 19). Id love to pick up another one on the cheap as a second car but not too keen on paying the 600-ish tax for the year on a car i would only occasionly use!:cool:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1088061

Thats the same kit alright, but its not one of those cars. IIRC, i used to pass that car outside that garage when i was doing my leaving cert, so he must have it at least 4 years now.

I kinda like them with the WRC kit, as long as its done right.

• Advertisement

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1088061

Thats the same kit alright, but its not one of those cars. IIRC, i used to pass that car outside that garage when i was doing my leaving cert, so he must have it at least 4 years now.

I kinda like them with the WRC kit, as long as its done right.

4 years!!!!, i reckon 5 grand would seal the deal, which in my book is a bargain.:D

Its there a very very long time. Every so often you would go by, and notice it gone so you'd think it'd be sold, but then it would show up again a few weeks later.

At 5 grand you'd be buying a very good car to drive, and something different too. It would be cheap at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Found this thread searching for something else. I have a 99 vts 1.8. Seriously quick car and very comfortable. Only problem is the workout my left foot gets every time i change gear. Here's some pics.
    7099F93E9FD44990BBCB8C59EBC637A1.jpg

827356A1EF92444283A432CC8B907BEF-500.jpg

6C67BC58F171461DA29077E47F0551AA-500.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Same car as above isnt it? It's there a long time. I'd say offer 5 grand and you'll lose your arm in the process!

EDIT -Thats a tidy looking VTS Super-Rush!

• Advertisement

The blue vts is a 2.0 litre around 170 bhp, super rush is a 1.8 L not sure on the bhp, the wheels look really well on it though. And yes the clutch is seriously heavy on them, and the steering but theres great driving in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

They are the pretty much identical to the 306 gti-6. Serious fun cars to drive with plenty of power. The xsara doesn't look as well as the 306 but its still the same care underneath. As far as I know the xsara comes with a few more bits and pieces and is slightly higher spec but I know myself I'd pick the GTi-6.

One other thing is the xsara comes with 5 speed box where as the 306 comes with the fantastic 6 speed.

Advertisement