Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows xp is driving me insane!!! Pls help

• 24-04-2009 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Ok so reinstalled xp sp2 onto dell laptop latitude d400. Cant get on internet so saved compatible dell drivers onto my usb key from an internet cafe. Now when ive inserted usb to laptop i got pop up that new hardware installed but no sign of new drivers anywhere. There is an icon to safely remove hardware but thats all. Ive went to folder and ensured all files are not hidden. Ive also tried updating drivers in device mgr but it just says cannot find software better than is currently installed, ive tried restarting comp, uninstalling & reinstalling usb etc. All i get is removable disk drive but with no files on it. Im completly out of ideas here and beginning to think this is impossible being trying to fix for ages. All i wanna do is get on the internet. Really appreciate any help thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭M@21

Castlerock,
    Did you get a Dell Cd with the laptop?
    If so you should be able to load most of the basic drivers from it.

Is it possible to check the usb key on another system to make sure it has the files?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

compatible dell drivers
    What does this mean exactly? What exactly are you trying to do to "get onto the internet". Your old pc may have had ip details set up in a certain way.
    Which piece of hardware isn't working? Are you using a network card for Ethernet or a wireless card? if you right click my computer, go to properties, hardware and device settings, What pieces show a "?" beside them (drivers not installed)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you have WPA2 AES WiFi, then you seem to need Sp3, most XP with Sp2 don't seem to support WPA2

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

watty wrote: »
    If you have WPA2 AES WiFi, then you seem to need Sp3, most XP with Sp2 don't seem to support WPA2

You sure? I'm sure I've used wpa2 on xp sp2 before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

Hi Castlerock,
    Looks like you may have a few different issues there.
    Firstly as xp is booting check in device manager which devices are unknown.
    If its having issues with your usb ports then that may be the problem with your usb key.
    You may need to burn the drivers on to a cd and access them from that if you dont have the original Dell blue driver cd.
    There are a couple of possible drivers for the model you have. Did you use the service tag to ID it on the dell site?
    one solution would be to get the broadcom driver for the onboard lan card as there is only one version of that and wire directly to your router. Then once you have the internet the machine should find the other wireless drivers on its own then you can switch back to wireless.:rolleyes:

Hope that is of some help.
    Coyote1 - Coyote Consultancy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 oneway

Doe that laptop have a good-old Ethernet port?

Can you get a CAT5 cable and pllug into the router. Most Ethernet cards are supported directly from XP (espoecially if it's an on-board one).

This'll get you started and then you can move back to wireless later.

have fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You sure? I'm sure I've used wpa2 on xp sp2 before.

So have I.

And even on Win2K

But I've seen four different laptops that didn't even have option for WPA2 till SP3 installed. I'd guess where it does work it's a complete 3rd party stack rather than WZC + driver only.

Advertisement