Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sub 1:40 half marathon

Options
  • 24-04-2009 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

right then, last Sunday I did the Wexford half, my first race, in a time of 1hr 54 mins. So thats the benchmark! I started strongly, about 8 min miles for the first 7 - 8 but then faded over the later half of the course. I'm blaming the good weather on the day which I think made me dehydrated (I ended up walking for a few minutes aswell in the last couple of k's). I started running in Jan but missed a couple of weeks training due to illness, I never did any running before then. Anyway I'm a relative novice but now that I have a time to beat, well I wanna beat it.

My goal is 7.5 minute miles for a half marathon sometime in the future, to get in in under 1:40. I haven't trained this week yet and the stomach feels a bit crook but hope to get out for runs on Sat and Sun. I'd like to see if I can reach my goal and how fast I can do it so this is my log.

By the way I am a 29 yr old male. I've posted a couple of times in boards recently and love the atmosphere of the community here so I've deceided to do this training log. All advice is more than welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Best of luck with it.

One piece of advice I can give - if you feel something hurting, even if it goes away after a while, but returns on further training runs - DONT ignore it, get to a doc/physio.

I ran through the pain for about 3 weeks too long, thinking it would be ok, but eventually had to concede it wasn't good & needed to seek professional help.
    Requires a few weeks off & now I'm missing the start of main goal of the year, the Galway 5k series.

If I'd gone and had it looked at 3 weeks earlier, I'd be back training now and able to make all the races (maybe not in PB time, but at least fit to run them).

Training specific advise, I'll leave to the experts. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

welcome to the logs,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hi osonola ivax
    best of luck with your training and log
    only advice i can give you is be consistent and sebsible with your training and you will improve.
    the beauty of running is that you will get back what you put in.
    and of course..enjoy yourself:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

quick update: training has been going terifically well, clearly if I am to attain my goal then nutrition is going to be key - plenty of complex carbs and protein. So before I start in to the training I want the ole temple to be stocked with the right foods. To this end I drank 7 pints of hops and barley on Friday night and followed this up with a plate of fried rashers, sausages, pudding, eggs and beans providing me with the required protein. Now obviously all of this, and the chicken curry will need time to settle into the system, as will the corrot cake so I thought it foolish to run today. I'll be lightening tomorrow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

you score some peach of a goal today osnola !

• Advertisement

Sosa wrote: »
    you score some peach of a goal today osnola !
    a proper footballer, what about man u though, I thought the thing was blown wide open again today after half time in old trafford, but losing hope now

ok first post half marathon run today, 6.7 miles - 58.5 mins, 8.7 min miles, bit disappointed in truth, seem to have lost a bit of fitness in the last week, good to get the miles under the belt though, first 20 mins were tough but grew into it after that, think i'll have to be doing some speed work at some stage, right foot is niggling at me again, I had about 4 - 5 treatments on it with physio leading up to half last Sunday, can't afford to be seeing him again so hopefully its just a twinge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Hi Osnola, not too long running like yourself (nearly a year) so a couple of things that i found useful when i started off.

What half marathon are you aiming for? Pick one and give yourself a target to run toward. This way your training will have a focus as will you.

Run a couple of 10 kms races before your big day. Very useful way (i find) to know how the training is going and also get you used to running in races such as ignoring the rush at the start and pace yourself to your goal.

Limber and stretch the temple like it was going out of fashion.

If you run a slow training session, don't worry. Most of my training runs compared to races are usually a minute a mile slower. Save yourself for the big day, not for the training.

Happy running and hope you achieve the aim.

Hi chinguetti, that's really sound advice, I would like to start running 10 k races and I don't give enough time to stretching at all, I'd say realistically based on my progress so far, that I'm aiming for the sub 1:40 for Wexford 2010. In the mean time a mate of mine and I are planning to go to Achill in July. I believe that's very hilly though so won't be setting any records there. I also plan to do the Dublin adidas series half in phoenix park in September so I hope to see improvement there. Just need to keep running and watch the right foot

5.2 miles today, found it a real slog, thats the last time I wear a running jacket aswell, it was just too warm. It felt like I was going really slowly but I was surprised when I measured it at 8:21 min miles. I think I gotta start treating those as tempo runs from now on and slow my regular runs to about 9 min miles and also to a fartlek run in the week. Foot was niggling me during the run again but its not stiff when I get home and its grand to walk on the next day. It a pain on top of the foot around the big toe area. I've had it checked by a physio and he reckons its not a stress fracture of the metatarsal. He says that the foot just gets "locked up", has anyone experienced this kind of injury. I think i also need to do some miles on grass just to take some pressure off. I'd say i'm quite a heavy runner - not very elegant.

Not sure about the achill half now, €60 plus accom is a bit steep and really its not a run to set a time, it'd just be for the laugh and the bbq after so need to assess the priorities. I'm also away the weekend before so don't think missus would be too happy. Defo gonna aim for Dublin Half in September though. Also I notice today that its exactly 6 months to the real thing.......... holy contemplation batman

• Advertisement

need to change the name of this thread to DCM Training '09. I've decided to go for it - the big one. 6 months training - no problem with a little help from amadeus and Hal Higon. Haven't trained for last two days due to commitments but can't wait to get out tomorrow. I'm just feeling slightly paranoid about doing all my training on the roads because of potential injuries. I think I should be doing some training on the grass but I dont fancy doing laps of a pitch or similar. Anyway, I am excite.

Just back in from easy run, what a lovely evening, 5.7 miles - 50.5 mins, 8:51 miles, felt grand, and foot felt ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

need to change the name of this thread to DCM Training '09. I've decided to go for it - the big one. 6 months training - no problem with a little help from amadeus and Hal Higon. Haven't trained for last two days due to commitments but can't wait to get out tomorrow. I'm just feeling slightly paranoid about doing all my training on the roads because of potential injuries. I think I should be doing some training on the grass but I dont fancy doing laps of a pitch or similar. Anyway, I am excite.

Best of luck with the training for your first marathon. I wouldn't be too worried about the roads, just watch the camber and try to avoid concrete paths! Look forward to reading your updates.

Thanks asimonov, I am dead excited about it, I purposely held back today and tried to run a bit lighter so I was delighted to be under the 9 min miles, I felt like I could have gone 13 miles at that pace and that's where I need to be to go sub 4, I'm gonna continue in that vein for a while bar maybe 3 milers when I think I'll push myself a bit harder, I was thinking about following one of the hh intermediate programmes because of the extra mileage in the long runs, but maybe that's reaching too far for my first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

I used hh intermediate 1 for my first in march for the same reason. I enjoy the mileage and you get a good feeling of confidence from doing the extra long runs, just build slowly!

Sounds good to me, yeah I am gonna really pace myself with training for this one. By the way, well done in my home town of wex, that's an inspirational time for a novice like me. My mate came in 1:31 and he was thrilled, and it was very warm, crackin time though mate and good story about centra and water

Up early this morning out for run at 7, 3.3 miles, 27.25 mins, 8:15 min miles, tough

6.7 miles this morning, 57.3 mins, 8 min 33 sec miles, went out nice and easy and finished strongly, nice run

Last weeks tally - 20.9 miles, today I ran 5.2 miles, it was tough going, really warm night, 44 mins, 8.5 min miles approx, few aches in right foot and knee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Good work on entering. Hoping to do the DCM myself.
    Getting pumped thinking about it even 6 months out :D

• Advertisement

Thanks mr. Creosote, really looking forward to the challenge

Ran on grass for first time today, really enjoyed it actually, easy on joints and will do more, 4 laps of local race course which is apparently 1.25 miles a lap, so that's 5 miles in 47.5 mins, or 9.5 min miles, serious head wind on half of course, and maybe it's slower on grass, easy recovery though

i'm just back in from my yasso 800s, goldarn it, I didn't time the splits properly, I was stopping the stop watch at the end of each 800 and then just starting it again, theres a smell of rage off me. Anywho, I did the 10 yassos and the total time for these was 39 mins, 40 secs.

It was on a 200 metre track, I did the first one in lane 3 starting and finishing at the same point and it was something like 4 mins 13 secs, the second was also done in lane 3 and it was a little faster, then I moved to lane 1 and it was well below 4 mins, I moved to lane two, again below 4 mins, then I did the last 6 in lane 3 again and they were all between 3 mins 56 secs to 4 mins.

I rang ahead to the track and they told me it was a 200 metre track. There were 4 lanes and no tapering on any of the lanes. Now obviously the outside lane 4 will be longer than the inside lane 1, thats why I split the difference and did the majority in lane 3. Should I take it that the outside lane is 200 metres or the inside one.

This is copied from the DCM Mentored Thread

5.2 miles tonight, 43 mins, thats 8min16sec miles, felt strong tonight and no foot pain, woohoo, had a rubbishy day in work today, prob due to heavy enough weekend of booze, but that helped, think i felt the benefits of the yassos at the weekend

back up at the racecourse tonight, 5 miles, 44.5 mins 8.9 min miles, i'd say its a little longer than 5 miles for the 4 laps, I like it up there, always meet other runners, and a quick howya acknowledges the kindred spirit :)

Just back from 4.7 miles, 37.88 mins, 8 min 3 sec miles, that's my fastest ever training run, gonna break the 8 min barrier soon hopefully, interesting thing about tonights run was I used a brand new pair of gts 8s, I have used this model of runner for a while now but these ones were the wide version, felt really comfortable and set my fastest training run, bought two pairs of these on the cheap after a tip from a fellow boardee, thanks for the tip if you r reading this Peckham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭thirstywork

Well done on deciding to run DCM.i know it can be daunting running that distance.
    Just a few points if like to add without coming across to critical.
    you have ran an average of just over 2miles per day since your half marathon and your longest run is 6.7 miles(twice)
    Have you a programme to follow?
    You have plenty of tiem to get in shape but why not get a structured progaramme and set yourself come short term goals along the way.
    Are you still planning on your target time for the half?

Hi thirstywork, thanks for the input, in terms of the dcm programme my goal is to go sub 4, the half goal may be on the long finger for the mo, but would like to be sub 1 40 for Wexford next year. In terms of my dcm programme I have taken up an offer of mentoring from amadeus who is going to mentor sub 4 sub / 4 30, and my intention is to follow the hal higdon intermediate prog which is 18 weeks long beginning last week in June, until then I just hoped to get 4 - 5 runs a week averaging 20 - 25 miles, I would like to throw in a few 10 mile long runs in the coming weeks aswell as some speed work.

In terms of racing, I think that the adidas race series will be the extent of it for me, that all 3 races.

Do u have any other ideas for a training programme, how much mileage should I be doing in the week, and to be honest, I'd love to go sub 3 45.

Sunday. Total mileage this week 20.1, just back from 5.2 miles, really slow, think I just did it to get over the 20 miles for the week, anyway took 48 mins 17 secs about 9 mins 17 sec miles. My slow runs are slower than I thought. It's was after a longish weekend though and I just ate sweet sour chick balls with chips and rice and a can of coke, had two three course meals over weekend aswell and good bit of booze, happy enough with run to be honest, it's just started lashing again aswell so did well to get out when I did.

I am really gonna start watching the diet now aswell, and I'm about one more night away from convincing myself that I near a garmin forerunner 405 in order for me to be the best that I can, www.amazon.......

• Advertisement

5.2 miles on grass at local running club - killer, first time out on a week, total time 44 mins, approx 8.5 min miles. The oul back didnt stiffen up though and feels ok now. Been trying to some work on the core in terms of back extensions, sit up, etc. Happy enough, used my forerunner 405 for first time aswell, what a piece of kit.

Advertisement