Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sub 1:40 half marathon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 rapidoe

Good luck with it if you do it. Ice after every run till the marathon should help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

I think everyone on here knows what the final decision is going to be :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Woohoo, Woohoo, woohoo! *

*no pressure, if your not up for it dont do it, but if you are yippie!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Just back from 13 miles 1:56, legs are a bit stiff and sore but I think that's from the leg strengthening exercises, my left calf is actually the main culprit but............... Practically zero itb pain.

Count me in WOOHOO !!!!
    <dances cautiously>

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Look after yourself this week and you can make it to the start line, best of luck next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Great to hear OI!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just back from 13 miles 1:56, legs are a bit stiff and sore but I think that's from the leg strengthening exercises, my left calf is actually the main culprit but............... Practically zero itb pain.

Count me in WOOHOO !!!!
    <dances cautiously>
    Yippee!

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

Good to have you back fella.

you big tease ;)

Just back from 3.3 ,lovely run, back of left knee a little niggly still so that's it for me now until Monday, PT session on Friday for more itb work plus look at back of knee. I'll keep stretching and strengthening in the meantime but no more running.

Been foam rolling the calves over last couple of days, it's very sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Just back from 3.3 ,lovely run, back of left knee a little niggly still so that's it for me now until Monday, PT session on Friday for more itb work plus look at back of knee. I'll keep stretching and strengthening in the meantime but no more running.

Been foam rolling the calves over last couple of days, it's very sore.

Rest up well OI.
    Last year I was suffering with shin-splints (I know that covers a miltitude, but it's the only diagnosis I could give it) for the three weeks leading into the DCM. It was quite painful at times and I did 90% of my running on grass for those 3 weeks. Did the whole RICE thing ad naseum for the three weeks and rested as I saw fit (not enough maybe :rolleyes:).
    Even the day before the marathon I remember crossing the street into thr RDS and thinking what the fvck I was doing there with the pain I was experiencing!
    Short story long - Spoke to a physio at the Expo and she reassured me that the pain I was experiencing shouldn't prevent me from running the marathon. Pain almost disappeared on the spot. Come marathon morning I was experiencing very little pain all of which evaporated once the race started. So, I say go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Great to hear you're back in the game OI. Have a good rest over the weekend and roll on Monday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Wannabe!

WOW OI, just been reading your thread.. it made me register with Boards just to say Fair Play to you.. thats taken some strength and determination.. Good luck on Monday!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

8 miles tonight in 67:40, little discomfort, my legs seem to have made a recovery of Lazarus like proportions, thoughts of dcm are creeping back in, I just haven't been able to let it go mentally, fluck the time, I have to at least give it a go or I think I'll regret it forever, it's now or never, other people are doing this with less training than me, what fluckin roller coaster
    This made me laugh. I was in EXACTLY the same state of mind a while ago, and you were partially responsible for talking me around.

Glad to hear you might take to the start line after all. Wooohooo OI is back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Hey OI - just catching up on your log here. Great news that you're still planning to run DCM. Best of luck with the PT on friday!

@ eliwallach, that's a great story, you must have felt great when you crossed that line at the end, I am just gonna go for it

oryx, thanks a million, you have shown you are a very good runner and I'm glad that I helped change your mind at that time, I think you are gonna have a ball Monday, hope to meet you for a pint with the rest of the sub 430 novices

thanks wannabe!, you'll have to start your own log now that you are registered

Rigal, fellow ITB sufferer, you have shown the way ;)

Racheljev, the very best of luck to you Monday, you deserve it above all of us I think and I'll see you at the finish

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

Welcome back OI. Glad to hear that you are going to be running on Monday. Focus on objective #1... get to the start line. When you get there, focus on objective #2... get to the finish line!!!

Good luck on monday!!!
    Domer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Best of luck with Monday, you know you're gonna hobble away with your head held high!
    You'll have to change your name to Lazarus after this. All behold the magic of a foam roller and a bit of determination.

Thanks Domer and DustyBin. I'm actually a little embarassed by the high drama a few pages back. But in my defence, I was running in pain at the time and, not having had any experience with itbs, I didn't know it could be managed with Physio, self massage, stretching etc., even though people were telling me this, it just seemed to be getting worse at the time.

Anyway, that's all in the past, and although the itbs hasn't gone away, I would crawl around to finish this marathon. Ran almost 30 miles last week though so it seems to be ok. I'm actually feeling really positive about Monday now.

I'm just back from the Physio who told me my calf muscles and hamstrings are in good nick. He also said the pain behind my left knee is an aggravated popilitius muscle and won't stop me from completing the marathon. I've also sorted out a little mini crisis I was having about in-race nutrition. Got myself a gel belt, it's pretty cool actually, even has a little container for asprin or vasaline or something like that, and a pouch for jelly babies or a bar or something. So I'm glad I have that sorted. At this stage, just bring it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Don't be apologising for the drama, the drama means you care, well at least thats what I think but I'm one of the biggest drama queens out there, I reckon there are still a few boardsies who are expecting me to run :D
    Best of luck

Oh and mensocemo has your singlet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Eek Im so excited!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Best of luck Osnola. Really hope things go well for you....and they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Best of luck! Hopefully meet you on the morning...

Thanks to everyone for their continued support and good luck wishes. I know I've said this loadsa times but I wouldn't be preparing to line out if it wasn't for the support here from ART.

I'm actually feeling pretty good tonight, I've completed 4 sets of lunges and 4 sets of squats and loadsa stretching. Also the foam roller wasn't as sore tonight so :D.

Best of luck to everyone, I hope you all get what you want. This is it from me until the race report so hopefully I'll see you guys after for a pint or two. OI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Best of luck OI. So glad to see you making it to the start line. Look forward to reading your race report..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Good luck OI, hope it all goes well for you :)

let's not talk about the football though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

I've also sorted out a little mini crisis I was having about in-race nutrition. Got myself a gel belt, it's pretty cool actually, even has a little container for asprin or vasaline or something like that, and a pouch for jelly babies or a bar or something. So I'm glad I have that sorted.

Snap OI. I got one too ;). Best of luck in the morning.

4:32 is the official time, I think chip time was 4:30 bang on. I couldn't have given anymore, I gave everything. I know this because I had to sit down on the road after the finish line and wait for the world to stop spinning. My legs are so so sore. Hunny monster, enduro, all you other endurance athletes out there, I salute you. I got a glimpse of what you go through, albeit on a much smaller scale and for me it was a living hell.

I enjoyed it really but I was not fit enough for it. I had ITB pain from mile 6 but I could live with it until about mile 14 when I had to consistently stop to stretch it, and hams and calfs. I did a lot of walking aswell, those missed lsr's were coming back to haunt me. I experienced weird sensations, kind of quivery yolks in the calf for the first time coming down nutley lane, and then I started to stitch, I didn't have the endurance.

THEN, I raced my marathon, the last three miles meant more to me than any other miles I have ever done in my life.

As far as I was aware, my wife and 15 month old son were staying at home but as I turned on to merrion, there they were, with my mam and dad and my two sisters, I nearly cried, am nearly now at the thoughts of it. I ran over and kissed my son and wife and felt a huge upsurge of energy, amazing.

Right OI, this is it, you have 30 mins to run the last 3 miles to hit 4:30, so I put my head down and just went for it. I caught the 4:30 pacers and said to the lead guy, right fella, take me home, and he repiled ok guy you're coming with us. But I forgot that they had started about 2 mins after me so they were abviously a little off my target, so I went on ahead of them. I though I would die on the home straight but I made it and I am thrilled, I fought for it.

Met with my oul mucker menoscemo after the race, who ran a great time today, but he can tell you about that. We proceeded to the Conrad where we met Amadeus, Krusty, Robinph, honeymonster, rainbow kirby and there were more boardsies there who I didn't meet. Hi, if you guys are still there, had to leave due light headedness. Can I just give a special mention to rainbow Kirby, who ran an absolutely cracking race, well done to you, fantastic, you have done all us allstars proud.

I also met xebec and jenfer out on the course, all lovely people, jenfer, hope u kept sight of those black baloons!!

Great day, thrilled, this one is for you kiddo, cheers OI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Brilliant OI, absolutely chuffed for you, and great report as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Jenfer

:):)OI, fair play to you for keeping going with the legs the way they were- you did so much training this year and I am full sure you can do a sub 4 or way way less next time out- this marathon fever is contagious!!

It was lovely to meet all the boards crowd out there- and put faces to names- as for the black balloons- i lost them in clonskeagh, but was well pleased to get that far! I found clonskeagh tough but came home garmin time in 4.04.40 so am pleased- the holy grail of sub 4 is there for the taking for us all next year!
    I hope you have a few beers tonight to celebrate- your training log has been great to follow this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Good man yourself I'm so delighted that you ran today. There were a few casualties on the course being tended to by first aid and I was praying that your legs had held up and that you weren't among our fallen comrades.

Woo hoo! Go OI!

Advertisement