Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sub 1:40 half marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Jenfer wrote: »
    :):)OI, fair play to you for keeping going with the legs the way they were- you did so much training this year and I am full sure you can do a sub 4 or way way less next time out- this marathon fever is contagious!!

It was lovely to meet all the boards crowd out there- and put faces to names- as for the black balloons- i lost them in clonskeagh, but was well pleased to get that far! I found clonskeagh tough but came home garmin time in 4.04.40 so am pleased- the holy grail of sub 4 is there for the taking for us all next year!
    I hope you have a few beers tonight to celebrate- your training log has been great to follow this year.

Hi jenfer, fantatic time, that's brilliant. you were really supportive today, thanks. I'm sure you could tell I was beginning to struggle. I'm delighted you did so well.

Speaking of support, I forgot to mention a couple of people. A work colleague who was the to support his mates, ran with me from the ucd flyover halfway down nutley, you are a legend.

Also to the two Wexford people who saw me running up the hill in training, thanks for sitting with me at the end and plying me with fluids. Well done on your perfromances. And finally to some gentleman who picked me ip off the floor and carried me on his shoulder to the first aid tent, thank you so much. I was ok by the way just looking for a rub, but it's experiences like this that makes it all worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Great to finally meet you! And well done on finishing your first marathon! Many people think about doing one, you'll always know that you have... Catch up in Wexford sometime over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Well done OI, 1 down, ? to go ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

And finally to some gentleman who picked me ip off the floor and carried me on his shoulder to the first aid tent, thank you so much. I was ok by the way just looking for a rub, but it's experiences like this that makes it all worthwhile.

:eek: You never mentioned that.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Well done oi, you had a hard race. Fair play on your time. :) Its funny how you can get a boost and keep pushing on, isnt it? Im sorry i missed everyone at the conrad. Apart from not knowin where it is, i had to go lie down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Jeez man ... some day. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Well done on finishing OI.
    There comes a time (for most normal people :rolleyes:) in a marathon when the finishing time doesn't mean a tuppeny fvck, you just want to finish the damn thing. That's where real determination and character come to the fore. Again, well done.

PS - it must have been a sweet moment to embrace your family (esp junior) on the Merrion Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

Just read report, well done on even finishing OI. Reach around and give yourself a pat on the back. Imagine your PB when you complete a full uninjured training schedule.
    Good luck with the shorter stuff, I'm sure our paths will cross, might even see you in a mentored thread sometime in 2010.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Well down OI. You should be very proud of yourself. Some turnaround from a few weeks back!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Wilbury

Powerful stuff O.I. Not only did you do well to get to the start line, that was some achievement to get to the finish line. God knows what your time would be if you were fully prepared. We will have to wait till next year to find out. Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Thanks so much guys. I've been extremely reflective today, I've gone through some serious bouts of disappointment about the time but I've come to realise, after several bottles of corona, that it's not about the time at all. It's about crossing the start line and crossing the finishing line and everything inbetween, before and after.

It's the whole experience, discovering boards, joining the the sub430 mentored group, oryx, goofy girl, sub430, menoscemo, bally8, rainbow Kirby, mr. Marenghi (we fukin did it lads), the unofficial group members we brought with us, the carnival atmosphere, the baloons, the ad hoc pa systems / djs, the unofficial water stations, the cow bells, the pacers, the support, chatting with fellow runners, the comradery, meeting your entire family at mile 23 unexpectedly, making yourself run through the pain, the guy who picked me up at the end, the work colleague spectator who ran with me down nutley, the 4 hours 30 minutes of pain / euphoria / despair / pride. DCM, I THANK YOU, and I'll see you next year you fukin beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Thanks so much guys. I've been extremely reflective today, I've gone through some serious bouts of disappointment about the time but I've come to realise, after several bottles of corona, that it's not about the time at all. It's about crossing the start line and crossing the finishing line and everything inbetween, before and after.

It's the whole experience, discovering boards, joining the the sub430 mentored group, oryx, goofy girl, sub430, menoscemo, bally8, rainbow Kirby, mr. Marenghi (we fukin did it lads), the unofficial group members we brought with us, the carnival atmosphere, the baloons, the ad hoc pa systems / djs, the unofficial water stations, the cow bells, the pacers, the support, chatting with fellow runners, the comradery, meeting your entire family at mile 23 unexpectedly, making yourself run through the pain, the guy who picked me up at the end, the work colleague spectator who ran with me down nutley, the 4 hours 30 minutes of pain / euphoria / despair / pride. DCM, I THANK YOU, and I'll see you next year you fukin beast.
    +1'd like a mofo, and I for one would be happy to have another go at this beast this time next year! What a bloody experience it has been...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

OI in the bar:
    Never again
    Amadeus:
    Ahh you say that but you will!
    DCM, I THANK YOU, and I'll see you next year you fukin beast.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

OI in the bar:
    Never again
    Amadeus:
    Ahh you say that but you will!

:D

While i was dragging my body up the baggage area i swore to myself that i would never do another marathon.
    I had not even got into the shower in the hotel when i had changed my mind.
    My legs are still aching,but i would do it again...i must be loosing it

Well done OI,great stuff

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Women have more than one kid. Allstars do more than one marathon. :) running pain, like labour pain, fades, all you remember is the result. Funny how the brain works, aint it? :) So same time same place next year OI, only faster, ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Right, time to start updating this again. I've changed the username for a couple of reasons. Mainly, it had been shortened to OI by the users here anyway and that's what I was introducing myself as. Also, it was supposed to be xabi Alonso spelled backwards, but I spelled it incorrectly. Finally, I'm a pool fan first and an Alonso fan second, now he has left us, maybe for tax reasons, maybe the Spanish waiter pushed him too far, who knows. It's still a nod to the guy, he's a great footballer, but I no longer feel the need to have his entire name, spelled incorrectly and backwards as my username.

It also signifies a new beginning, god I'm full of ****, gonna stop with this rubbish now.

Ok so where do we go from here, well I was gonna concentrate on 10k's maybe but no, my A race will be the race that got me into running, the Wexford HM. Goal - sub 1:40, like it says on the tin. I don't think running comes naturally to me so I believe this will take hard work on my part. There's also the ITB but I'm hoping that will be ok after the rest, some maintenance work, and the fact that my lsr's won't be any higher than say 15 / 16 miles.

I'm also my degree year so I'm gonna try and achieve it on 4 days running per week. That's all I really averaged anyway for DCM.

DCM took a lot out of me, mentally and physically, that's just fact but I feel like running again now so it's time to take the runners out of the DCM gear bag and start working hard for it.

Races to date:

Wexford HM 1:54:58
    adidas 5 miler 37:32
    adidas 10 82:32
    kilmore ac 10k 47:07
    adidas half 1:44:50
    DCM 4:30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Welcome back and good luck with the goals. I have a feeling we might be seeing each other next October again. I don't think that we are going to let that shambles define our marathon careers :pac:

Best of luck OI and congrats on the name change, much easier to type!

What's Wexford HM like? Is it flat (ish)? I'm looking to do a fast HM this spring.

Cheers rigal and meno,

rigal, I think the general concensus last year was that Wexford is tough enough. There is a fair hill on mile 4 followed by 1/2 mile downhill. Then it climbs again through 6 - 7.5 followed by a mile of down hill followed by longish but relatively small climb around miles 9 / 10 and a flat last three miles. There is quite a few garmin records from last year on connect so you can get a good idea of profile. Just explore activities in the Wexford area. It's a nice course and Wexford is a wonderful place ... Ahem.... People are wonderful.... Ahem.... From what I can remember though it wasn't too cheap, I'd say it may drop in price this year though with possible greater numbers. I think it is provisionally booked in for 25th April.

3.3 tonight in rain, maybe if I don't complain about stuff, it'll all go away like magic.... Good to be back ............... 3.3

Cheers for that OI. I'm a self-confessed pb hunter so I'll give it a miss and look for a flat one somewhere :D.

Damn ITB bands are at me again since I started back cycling - just when I thought that was all behind me :mad: I know you feel my pain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

welcome back OI. Your cheery disposition was missed :)

I thought wexford was tough..its was easy to push too hard on those early hills and pay for it later.

Cheers asimonov. So Wexford is set then for May 2. 24 weeks to get to sub 1:40. Also gonna go for enniscorthy 10k in February, sub 45 hopefully.

3.3 tonight, 29:51, enjoyable.……… 3.3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Good to see you're back in action! See you at the Connemarathon, be that the half or the full?

goofygirl wrote: »
    Good to see you're back in action! See you at the Connemarathon, be that the half or the full?

Hey GG, how are you keeping? Are you back in the heart of the Rockies? What a spot. Flew in to Calgary before and took the trans Canada highway to banff WOW.

No I hadn't considered connemara at all. TBH, life is extremely busy for me at the moment, so all my training is geared towards Wexford (home), just hoping to get out 4 times a week and build up to 25 - 30 miles. I genuinely don't have the time or head space for anything else. Anyway, when I looked back over my marathon training plan, I only averaged 3.7 sessions a week and something like 27 miles, so if I can manage that now until May 2010, I'll be delighted. Depending how I feel then, I may take a look at Dublin. We'll see. For the moment, I just want to enjoy it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Yup still in the Rockies but visa is expiring so will be back in Ireland by Christmas time and seeking a club to run with!

Enjoying it is the main thing, you're dead right not to jump into anything straight away. I just want to do Conn because chances are I'll be leaving Ireland again in the spring (watch this space for further details) and I like to run my races on home turf :) Did a 12 miler today and it felt great to be back doing a good stretch on the road but haven't taken my watch out with me since the DCM, just running for fun. :)

3.3 this morning, 30 mins.......... 3.3

Sub 1:40 half marathon, take 2

ah, I don't know where my motivation has gone at all, been eating all around me aswell. I just need to get out on the roads again and spend some more time stretching, foam rolling etc. So, from tomorrow, I'm changing my ways ...... Again....!!!!

I know I tried this before unsuccessfully but I'm gonna log my diet here aswell. It's shocking sometimes but if I post it in the public domain it might keep me honest. I'm currently 6 foot 1 (prob won't change too soon) and 12 stone 9 pounds. Wouldn't mind being 11.5 stone come April if it means achieving the goal. So, this is definitely me starting running again from tomorrow.

Diet today:
    breakfast
    2 x slices wholemeal toast with butter
    1 x glass oj
    11ses
    1 coffee
    half scone
    lunch
    koka chicken noodles
    cheese and tomato sambo wholemeal bread
    strawberry activia yogurt
    coffee
    2 x Jaffa cakes
    dinner
    2 x slices cheese with mango chutney
    roast chicken breast
    mixed frozen veg (peas, sweetcorn, carrotts)
    1.5 spuds
    pepper cream sauce
    2 x onion bhajee (tesco job - well nice)
    supper!?!
    thick slice of cheese with mango chutney
    bar of dairymilk fruit and nut (unbelievably nice)
    2 x glasses of wine (blossom hill Chilean Sauvignon blanc - €7.50 in tescos - noice)

running
    nada, too tired, hope to getcout in the morning. Only planning to run 4 days a week anyway so as long as I cam get them in with in the week. Falling asleep now as I write this....... Snore ...... Snore

Diet today:
    breakfast
    bowl porridge
    glass oj
    bacon & egg mcmuffin, hash brown and coffee from mcdonalds
    lunch
    toasted ham and cheese sambo on brown bread
    4 o clock
    choc chip muffin
    coffee
    three slices cheese with grapes