Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sub 1:40 half marathon

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Stop eating koka noodles :) theyre awful! And i didnt know you were local to me. We prob know each other. Must catch ya for a jog someday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Jesus OI, sorry to sound harsh here but your diet is truly awful. I hope the last two days is not indicative of your normal diet?
    You must be packing in 3000 kcals a day and very little nutrition. Good job you are a skinny lank to start with :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

OI wrote: »
    Diet today:
    breakfast
    bowl porridge
    glass oj

bacon & egg mcmuffin, hash brown and coffee from mcdonalds

From the sublime to the ridiculous :) though I must admit the McD's double sausage and egg McMuffin breakfast with many many extra hash browns was my ultimate hangover/still drunk cure for several years.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

menoscemo wrote: »
    Jesus OI, sorry to sound harsh here but your diet is truly awful. I hope the last two days is not indicative of your normal diet?
    You must be packing in 3000 kcals a day and very little nutrition. Good job you are a skinny lank to start with :pac:

In fairness I put it up there to be criticized, might give me the kick that I need so that's ok.

Just for comparison sake OI, here's what I had yesterday.

Breakfast
    Bowl of Tesco Blueberry shredded wheat (love these)
    Orange
    Banana

Lunch
    Bagel with southern fried chicken pieces, ham, tomato, onion, lettuce, mayo.

Snack
    Handful of nuts
    Bowl of cheerios

Dinner -
    2 bratwurst hot dogs, German mustard, onions.
    Glass of red

Snack
    Glass of milk
    Kit Kat chunky

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    Stop eating koka noodles :) theyre awful! And i didnt know you were local to me. We prob know each other. Must catch ya for a jog someday :)

Yeah, it seems like there would be more nutrition in cardboard tbh. Yeah, I figured you were Wexford alright, thought maybe enniscorthy. :) . Defo be up for a run sometime although you're a girl and going joggin with a girl might take a bit too much explaining, if you are doing enniscorthy or Wexford though we should defo meet up, I like the carnation idea, although I have my boards jersey now.

Sub430 wrote: »
    Just for comparison sake OI, here's what I had yesterday.

Breakfast
    Bowl of Tesco Blueberry shredded wheat (love these)
    Orange
    Banana

Lunch
    Bagel with southern fried chicken pieces, ham, tomato, onion, lettuce, mayo.

Snack
    Handful of nuts
    Bowl of cheerios

Dinner -
    2 bratwurst hot dogs, German mustard, onions.
    Glass of red

Snack
    Glass of milk
    Kit Kat chunky

Cheers sub430, I appreciate that, yeah I think I'm taking on too much food, mmmmmmmmmm hot dogs, I'd love a hot dog, I see a cheeky glass of vino aswell, I like your style fella!

Yeah, it seems like there would be more nutrition in cardboard tbh. Yeah, I figured you were Wexford alright, thought maybe enniscorthy. :) . Defo be up for a run sometime although you're a girl and going joggin with a girl might take a bit too much explaining, if you are doing enniscorthy or Wexford though we should defo meet up, I like the carnation idea, although I have my boards jersey now.
    Im an old girl. Less explaining required, lol.

Im doing both Enniscorthy and Wexford, so will be gravely insulted if you dont give me a nod those days. :)

You do love your choc chip muffins too, dontcha? Look up the calories sometime, itll scare ya!

3.3 tonight 32:07, nice and handy, cold one out there but an enjoyable run, had the ole Aldi gloves and hat on ............... 3.3

Welcome back OI,
    Your goal still sub 1:40 in Wexford?
    I have the same one myself but in May (Kildare or Limerick)

• Advertisement

Hi sub430, yeah hopefully Wexford but I'm very out of shape at the moment, still feelin a bit of itb pain aswell, so just gonna take it slowly, just to run Wexford is my goal really.

I saw your log, well done on setting one up and best of luck with the goal. I think 100 mins for a half is a tough barrier to break through, but you will get there providing things go your way, avoiding injury and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Welcome back OI. Missed you around here. Hope the itb holds up. I get nervous before every run praying mine will behave.

Bally8 wrote: »
    Welcome back OI. Missed you around here. Hope the itb holds up. I get nervous before every run praying mine will behave.

cheers bally8, just taking tentative steps at the moment, confidence is shattered if I'm honest but the 1000 mile challenge has spurred me on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Welcome back budddyyyyyy!

Your lack of presence was deffo noted.

ULstudent wrote: »
    Welcome back budddyyyyyy!

Your lack of presence was deffo noted.

Cheers UL, I'll check in on everyones log as I go

Welcome back, I was actually gonna text you to see if you were alive!!
    Don't worry about being a bit outta shape, I Know I definately am, I really haven't done anything for a month and put on a fair few pounds, and now got a head cold. But They say all those miles from last year will start us off from a higher base, so we should be smashing PB's within a few months!!

Good luck and keep it up (by the way if your routes are passable at the moment you have got one up on us dublin dwellers already.)

Alright meno, what's the craic? Yeah, tWas great to get out yesterday, that was the only real chance to get out over the last week and the footpaths are very slippy again today so don't know when I'll get a few consecutive runs in. Just gonna tip away at it and if I can build to 20 - 25 miles, 4 runs a week territory, I'll be happy. And to run the Wexford half.

Been looking at your recent race times, you're still in good shape, some impressive times there.

Hiya OI, Good luck with 2010 training. Re the itb, I have a great guy doin my physio, I wont name him here, but can pm you details. Itll prob be someone youve heard of anyway. He hurts, but by god he got me past some injury and stiffness problems.

Oryx wrote: »
    Hiya OI, Good luck with 2010 training. Re the itb, I have a great guy doin my physio, I wont name him here, but can pm you details. Itll prob be someone youve heard of anyway. He hurts, but by god he got me past some injury and stiffness problems.

Hi Oryx, I used him before the Dublin half marathon and ran the race of my life, but he is bloody sore, particularly on the itb. I remember chewing the pillow to stop from screaming, sounds kinky, not in the slightest. But it worked, so I might have to bite that bullet again. I know exactly who u r talking about.

Hi Oryx, I used him before the Dublin half marathon and ran the race of my life, but he is bloody sore, particularly on the itb. I remember chewing the pillow to stop from screaming, sounds kinky, not in the slightest. But it worked, so I might have to bite that bullet again. I know exactly who u r talking about.
    Yup. There can be only one. We have a love hate relationship, ha. I hate the session, love the feeling when its over. And I cried when he worked on my itb, I didnt have a pillow to chew on. :D It does work tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Have ya gone soft OI?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Hey OI,

You might find Stephen's advice on this thread useful:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64034606&posted=1#post64034606

rigal

Cheers rigal, that's sound. You are doing a lot of different strength training aswell. I have a funny feeling that before the marathon last year, when I ran at times with little pain, above all else it was the foam roller that was helping the most.

And yes UL, I must be soft, my pain threshold is certainly not up to this particular physios techniques. But the man gets results.

Ok, so back out there again today. 3.3 miles 30:34, have to be happy with that really, considering how little running i've done of late. But, I perceived the effort to be great, so that's the drawback of smoking, drinking and eating my way through the last 6 weeks. I started running at exactly this time last year and I ran this route in 33mins first attempt so I haven't quite gone back to square one.

I'm updating this from my iPhone, lying on the bed after showering. That's how I always do it and it feels great :)......... 3.3

Same 3.3 route tonight. Pushed it a bit. 29:03, nice to break 9 min miles......... 3.3

Nice one!! two days running in a row :eek: Good to see you're back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

+1. Good to see you back and doing some more regular running. A few more weeks, you won't even remember the excesses of xmas, as you lay down the miles. You can still enjoy the occasional blow-out, you just have to earn it first. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭steoc

Hi OI,
    Good to see you out and about again.
    It must have been those long walks home with the shopping bags during the cold spell that strenghtened up your legs.
    I did a 10 miler myself on saturday. And how my calf muscel hurts again:(. I have booked in for the Dungarvan 10 mile / my sport 10 K / Wexford half marathon.Will you be doing them?
    Might see you for a LSR sometime.
    All the best for 2010.
    Steoc

Alright Steoc, what's the craic?

A 10 mile lsr, that's great going. I'll definitely go for the Wexford half but haven't signed up yet. Enniscorthy is a bit close for me, but I might go for it anyway for the laugh. I'll see how I feel closer to the day.

Definitely be on for an lsr sometime when I get up to that kind of mileage again. Good luck to u aswell, hope that calf injury clears up.

Cheers men, one step at a time.

Went out for 5.13 tonight, one of my favourite runs of all time. Took her handy enough. There was an invigorating fog out there. 49 mins. Gotta be happy with that. Foam rolled before hand, I believe this to be the key <touches wood>........... (now to bold the mileage which ain't as easy as it seems on an iPhone, involves this craic [ b ]5.13 [/b] etc.......... 5.13

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭steoc

That was some fog alright the weather has gone mad:eek:
    Was hoping you could advise me on the foam roller thingy you have.
    Need to some thing about this calf problem. I see a few other boardsies use it to.And from what i read(love the log by the way, a great read) it works for you.
    Did you have to go to a physio to get it and to be should how to use it?
    Might talk to soon about the physio you see, i might need a good rub on it?
    You have a great way with words and you nearly brought me to tears when i read about your family turnining up to support you at DCM:o
    Good to hear your out and about again.
    Steo

Advertisement