Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sub 1:40 half marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Yeah, 8.7 miles this evening. Up to the race course, three laps and then back, non eventful except circus was at race course, I have ethical issues with circi.

Ha young boys are two up agin spurs.

Franky goes to Hollywood

Great day today, sun was shining and I met loadsa boardsies and can now add Racheljev, Blueskye and Tunguska to the list of a/r/tists I've met in purpose.

Gotta text from menoscemo last night, he wasn't up to racing today because he was carrying a knock so he mentioned the idea of pacing 9 min miles, get in under 1:30. I woke up this morning feeling really good and ready to go. Still unfit, I put down 85 but knew 89 was a more realistic goal.

So after scabbing a bit of aqua of meno and discussing tactics with the rest of the lads we set off. We had a small pacing group consisting of memo, Racheljev, rk, and myself.

First 3 miles were ok but I really settled into it around mile 4 and found a rhythm. Banged out 5, 6, 7 and 8 and felt ok. Meno was pacing it well and we had some seconds to spare. Needed them as at around 8.5 miles I began to struggle. I don't like the sun. Recovered for the last mile and put a bit of a burst in to finish 88:55. Really happy with progress now.

Well done to everyone for finishing today. I really enjoyed the run with Meno even when he started shouting at me "COME ON, You're SLACKIng OFF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Franky goes to Hollywood

Great day today, sun was shining and I met loadsa boardsies and can now add Racheljev, Blueskye and Tunguska to the list of a/r/tists I've met in purpose.

Gotta text from menoscemo last night, he wasn't up to racing today because he was carrying a knock so he mentioned the idea of pacing 9 min miles, get in under 1:30. I woke up this morning feeling really good and ready to go. Still unfit, I put down 85 but knew 89 was a more realistic goal.

So after scabbing a bit of aqua of meno and discussing tactics with the rest of the lads we set off. We had a small pacing group consisting of memo, Racheljev, rk, and myself.

First 3 miles were ok but I really settled into it around mile 4 and found a rhythm. Banged out 5, 6, 7 and 8 and felt ok. Meno was pacing it well and we had some seconds to spare. Needed them as at around 8.5 miles I began to struggle. I don't like the sun. Recovered for the last mile and put a bit of a burst in to finish 88:55. Really happy with progress now.

Well done to everyone for finishing today. I really enjoyed the run with Meno even when he started shouting at me "COME ON, You're SLACKIng OFF.

fair play man, you did well in fairness. we are just back from the pub :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Fair play OI, great run. Good to meet you today as well :)

5.6 miles today, had a really crap day in work, so really glad to do it. Uneventful really, involved a steep climb but pace was slow enough. 10 miler still in the legs I think.

• Advertisement

5 this morn, tough, nowt to report

NEVER EVER attempt to run for 2 hours after eating an Indian at lunch time. The lime pickle and poppadoms will come back to haunt you. Horrible run 2 hours, sore legs, 11 or 12 miles. Up yours running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Few easy miles around Wex on Sunday morning? I'm doing LSR in the morning so should know tomorrow evening what I'll be capable of... Will drop you a message on here/FB to see if you're up for it.

xebec wrote: »
    Few easy miles around Wex on Sunday morning? I'm doing LSR in the morning so should know tomorrow evening what I'll be capable of... Will drop you a message on here/FB to see if you're up for it.

Could definitely meet you for a portion of it, an hour or that. Did my long run on Friday so don't want to over do it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Just on train home after 3 hours with the guys this morning... Legs are pretty sore, but I'll make a call later on and drop you a message. Wouldn't be doing any more than an hour anyway, more likely a slow 4-6 miles recovery.

• Advertisement

xebec wrote: »
    Just on train home after 3 hours with the guys this morning... Legs are pretty sore, but I'll make a call later on and drop you a message. Wouldn't be doing any more than an hour anyway, more likely a slow 4-6 miles recovery.

Well that sounds perfect, ill be doing that anyway so let me know if you are up for it. No panic either way.

5 miles around the race track, really enjoyable, there was a running group up there that asked me to join them. Nowt else report except there was loads of red admirals.

Went up to the race course, 6.25 miles. I just didn't feel great this morning. Got going after 3 miles but died again after 5. Wanted to do 7.5 but was joined on the course by a Doberman so made a sharp exit. Didn't feel great anyway. One too many glasses of wine last night. (Hence some enthusiastic posts on boards last night) :eel: :embarrassed:

One too many glasses of wine last night. (Hence some enthusiastic posts on boards last night) :eel: :o

Guilty of that so many times. Generally after a boards AC beers which seems to happen after every race nowadays.

Everybody loves jumping in muddy puddles. Went out at lunch time. I have to say that was one of the most enjoyable runs ever. I got absolutely destroyed in the rain. Soaked to the skin, running through puddles etc. Haven't run since last week cause was having a bit of back trouble but ok again now, kind of 5.6 miles with plenty in the tank at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

One too many glasses of wine last night. (Hence some enthusiastic posts on boards last night) :eel: :embarrassed:
    Is that also when you returned your phone to stock? :)
    Sounds like a great run today, and at lunch-time too, that makes it a double bonus!

Is that also when you returned your phone to stock? :)
    Sounds like a great run today, and at lunch-time too, that makes it a double bonus!

Yeah, the weather was amazing today. As for the phone, I wish I never came across the Android forum. Its like, if I can do it, then ill try it. Rooting, debranding, unrooting, flashing, its like a bad carry on film.

Anyways, used a tool from xda which kind of worked but allowed me to downgrade with a stock ruu. Now I'm rooted again and running opendesire which having tried leedroid, nextsense, neophyte, defrost, a rooted stock rom, is definitely the best for me. Its consumed me more than is healthy though. The worst is when you upgrade a rom and you find it doesn't work as well as the previous iteration. Then you have the radios.

Its basically 101 ways to fvck up your €400 phone. All's good for the moment though. Wait til they bring out gingerbread. You understand KC, tell me you understand. ;)

5.6 miles tonight, grand, tough enough though, pushed it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Yeah, the weather was amazing today. As for the phone, I wish I never came across the Android forum. Its like, if I can do it, then ill try it. Rooting, debranding, unrooting, flashing, its like a bad carry on film.

Anyways, used a tool from xda which kind of worked but allowed me to downgrade with a stock ruu. Now I'm rooted again and running opendesire which having tried leedroid, nextsense, neophyte, defrost, a rooted stock rom, is definitely the best for me. Its consumed me more than is healthy though. The worst is when you upgrade a rom and you find it doesn't work as well as the previous iteration. Then you have the radios.

Its basically 101 ways to fvck up your €400 phone. All's good for the moment though. Wait til they bring out gingerbread. You understand KC, tell me you understand. ;)

Can't say I understood a single word of that post....

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

+1

• Advertisement

Believe me, you are better off. Let me translate anyway, what the post is saying is this:

"I am a geek who is obsessed with his phone. This is not an obsession that is easily understood by people e.g. my wife, who now, when singing 'The wheels on the bus ' to my toddler son, adds the line "the daddy's on the bus go phone phone phone etc." My obsession with phones has also led to several running jokes amongst my work colleagues and generally refer to my overall geekdom.

Updated using my HTC Desire

11.2 miles, first half was fine, last third was tough. Pain at upper back between shoulder blades, very sore on last 3 miles. Left ankle twinge. Should be ok with rest. Need massage for upper back. Stomach started at me again. Must eat less on Fridays if doing long run in evening. Put muscles not usually employed during running under way too much pressure.

All in all a good run and confidence booster for next week. Not gonna race the kilmore 10k tomorrow. Gonna use the entry fee to buy corona instead. Sorry kilmore AC, ill get u again. Tired now.

Fvck it, can't resist a 10 k on my own door step. Gonna get ready to head to kilmore now.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Best of luck with the race!

Blueskye wrote: »
    Best of luck with the race!

Thanks blueskye.

50:38, gotta be happy with that after a 2 hour lsr last night. Race report to follow.

That's good going OI. You have obviously come on leaps and bounds since the 10 miler. If I were you I'd think about following the 1:50 pacers next week, not us 2hr pacers (unless you just want to enjoy yourself.)

Ok, well as u can see above, I hadn't intended racing this because I picked a 11 mile lsr on Friday eve instead. However, I knew there was a good crowd from work going and everyone was asking me was I doing it in work on Friday. Then I met a girl from work down town this morn and by the time I made it up from town the back tension that has been bothering me disappaited and my mind was made up.

So proceeds the lubing and stretching. Bit more stretching than usual cause I was a little tender after yesterdays run. Then off to kilmore with an arcade fire soundtrack, God that album is fantastic. Meet everybody out there. I doing the whole downplaying targets thing because really I'm feeling a bit stupid for being there. Legs feel wrecked tired and my tummy is giving me jip. I take comfort from the fact that last nights lsr went well.

Race starts late but we are off. I just have a stop watch because I need to empty my Garmin history so this will be ran on feel alone. I'm comfortable with that though. I set off anyway and by the time I hit the first mile marker, its 8:24. Any remote chance of hitting 50 is now gone so I just kept going. The miles ticked away and they must have been all close to 8 mins after that. Noone passed me and I passed a fair few. Nothing like a grunting panting runner to irritate you enough to spur you on passed them.

Anyways 50:38, comditions were perfect and it was a nice track. Im delighted with myself and had a huge amount of dopamine dumped into my brain on the way home. Macmillan says 1:52 for a half and I think ill follow that. I have the endurance training done I think. On a side note I think I would have broken 50 had it not been for yesterday's lsr. See ye next Saturday folks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

On a side note I think I would have broken 50 had it not been for yesterday's lsr. See ye next Saturday folks :)

Goes without saying, easily. Good run and fair play after 11 miles the night before

Went up to the race course this evening for 5 miles, ran 3 laps with some other dude who was up there. Actually surprising how quickly it passed when chatting to someone. Went over on my ankle at one stage because they have cut the whole course up for drainage maybe. Thinks its ok though.

Gonna chance 5 - 6 tomorrow, then should be ok for Saturday after a couple of days rest. Might do 3 on Friday, tis a traditional thing.

• Advertisement

Very enjoyable run today 5.6 miles. Feel some fitness returning

Advertisement