Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sub 1:40 half marathon

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Best of luck with tomorrow B!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yes, best of luck. No wine tonight. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Cheers men, no wine tonight Krusty. Just got ate by a "friend" in work for drinking last night ahead of the race. How dare he look out for my best interests. ;)

1:50:14 today in the dublin half Mara, 15 seconds away from goal, it was the bottle of wine, it was the bottle of wine

Yesterday I felt my left IT band at around mile 8 or 9, just before we turned down past the soccer pitches. My left Ham string was also really tight at that point. I kept going but nothing was as comfortable as what went previous. I was also starting to get worried. It was the right it band that was giving me trouble last year but then running the Marathon shifted the problem to my left leg. Right one is actually ok now.

Anyway, took a couple of neurofen last night and everything seems a lot better today. I'm also happier with my performance today than I was yesterday.

I didn't enjoy the race yesterday. There were too many people and getting through them was a nightmare. In the first three miles, my mind was shifting between going for it and taking it easy and it was impossible to find a rhythm. People were cutting across me without looking behind and I nearly tripped a couple if times.

A lot of this comes down to my attitude on the day aswell, when the day came, I just wasn't that up for it. Couldn't wait to get on the road after it either. Just one of those days I guess. Thats my 5th race in Phoenix park and I reckon I'm just getting a bit fed up of racing in the same place. I need to race at other venues. I doubt ill sign up for these next year. Bring on Barcelona.

• Advertisement

5.6 miles, slow, Saturdays race still in the legs. Best thing about that run was there was no itb pain. Been rolling a stretching a lot since Saturday. Have bad pain in upper back, it's tension or something, not too worried about that though. Really need to lose weight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

You shouldn't be down on yourself about saturdays race. It is way better than McMillan predicted based on your 10k from the week before and on a much tougher course.
    You have improved a lot over the past few months on little training, you are only 5 minutes off last year. Loose a bit of weight and get decent training in and asub 1:40 should be on the cards come december.

Cheers man, a jaysus no I'm delighted with the time. It kind of proves to me that in my case less is more when it comes to training. I can only handle 4 days a week or else ill get injured.

Saturday was bitter sweet though, I spent the rest of the day dragging my left leg around after me so I was thinking here we go again. That's why today's training run was so pleasing. Ill be doing things a lot easier this time and hopefully still improve the times. I'm happy with how things are progressing. I know I've spoken about this before and I'm not sure others experience this but I have serious downers after races, its all the endorphines on the day. That's where Sundays post came from.

Marathon training officially started yesterday at 5:00pm and came to an abrupt stop about 45 minutes later. I went out for a 5.6 mile run and the left IT band which had been giving me trouble after the Race Series Half Marathon started giving me problems so I pulled over to the side of the road, stretched and walked the last .6 of a mile home.

I have only run once before yesterday since the half marathon. This is inexcusable I know. Partly it was due to the fact that I wanted a decent rest because of the IT Bands and partly because my upper back is giving me awful jip. The back seems ok now but I need to stay on top of exercising it and stretching it. As far as the IT bands go, I remember heading out after a prolonged break before and having pain in them so I actually think they don't respond well to rest and I'm better off to stay running regularly and keep stretching and rolling. A couple of visits to a physio may work wonders aswell.

Anyway, the big part of training this time around for me is going to be nutrition. I have had to have a strong word with myself. I think I am actually addicted to junk food at this stage, my diet is shocking and has to improve. To this end, I have started planning out my meals on a weekly basis. Yesterday went well and I am actually quite proud of myself. I erview the plan each day then and see whether or not I adhered. The only additions yesterday were a few crackers and cheese so not bad.

I am not going to post on this log as regularly as I was doing. I see no point to posting "5.6 miles today, nothing to report" - why did I report it then, so weekly updated will do fine. I am also not going to worry about a sub 1:40 half marathon until after Barcelona as I plan on doing all of my runs very slowly to avoid injury and to stay fresh. Best of luck to anyone else undertaking training for this Marathon and best of luck to everyone doing DCM.

Cheers
    OI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Sorry to hear about the ITB OI. I know what a total pain that is. Best of luck with diet and recovery

• Advertisement

Monday 27th December - 4 miles
    Tuesday 28th December - 4 miles
    Wednesday 29th December - 4 miles
    Friday 31st December - 5.1 miles
    Sunday 2nd January - 5.6 miles

Total week 1 - 22.7 miles

Monday 27th December - 4 miles
    Tuesday 28th December - 4 miles
    Wednesday 29th December - 4 miles
    Friday 31st December - 5.1 miles
    Sunday 2nd January - 5.6 miles

Total week 1 - 22.7 miles

Welcome back (from the dead). Is Barca still on so?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Welcome back (from the dead). Is Barca still on so?

No I don't think so, my body (and mind) is not able for high mileage, don't have enough time now to prepare either. I just want to enjoy it now and prepare for Wexford half marathon. Still going to Barca though, just on the piss though

Still going to Barca though, just on the piss though

That's the main thing :pac: You'll be able to hold us a nice table in a a bar near the finish line. I'll be doing Barca but I won't be taking it too seriously, especially since I'll be doing a 50k race the week before :eek:

Resurrect this bad boy for tomorrow. Made a deal, apparently, with RQ to run 7.5 min miles for Cork relay. Better start training then. First run tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

71226288_4bed47b736.jpg

tbh. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

htfu:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Welcome back:)

Advertisement