Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sub 1:40 half marathon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

5.13 miles, 43.5 mins - 8.5 min miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭thirstywork

the 405 is pure class.bit of a shock when i first started using it as my perception of a 7min mile was more like 7.30ish haha.No shortcuts anymore.what half are you training for?

the 405 is pure class.bit of a shock when i first started using it as my perception of a 7min mile was more like 7.30ish haha.No shortcuts anymore.what half are you training for?

Just had a similar experience, my regular 5.2 mile route is actually 5.13 miles. It also shocked me how much my pace changes when I'm running up hills. I'm not actually training for a half as such anymore, though I will do the one in the phoenix park in September, my main aim now is the full marathon in October, i'm not sure I'll get to sub 1:40 half this year, but next year I hope to, for Wexford my home town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭wizwill

hmmmmmm, wexford is a tough hilly course, did it this year, not sure if it PB material

wizwill wrote: »
    hmmmmmm, wexford is a tough hilly course, did it this year, not sure if it PB material

I've never run anywhere else, I wonder how it compares in terms of hills to say the Dublin Half in the park or indeed the full marathon course. I do a lot of training up and down hills, I imagine this will help if I ever get on to a flatter course, I'm kinda hoping the Dublin Marathon course is fairly flat and I will maybe find it a tad easier on the legs and to maintain a consistent pace of, hopefully 9 min miles to get in sub 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Well there's very little in Phoenix Park that would compare to the climb up Sinnottstown Lane and to the top of Whiterock Hill in Wexford - that nearly killed me even though I knew what was coming ;) Don't think the full marathon has much that would come near it either...

Yeah that's a tough hill alright, gave it a go again tonight, 5.7 miles, guess what 8:30 min miles! Stuck in a pace twilight zone

5.7 miles last night, 49 mins and 4.7 today, 40 mins

Today was ruddy tough, couldnt get going at all, actually wanted to stop and walk for first time ever, i'm sure this happens from time to time but its weird when it does. I'm sure heat and an impact and then the 6 pints last night couldnt have helped.

Gonna try a slow 7 miler tomorrow at marathon pace 9 min 10 sec miles, and see how I get on. Have put up a few pounds cause diet isnt great at the moment, I really need to imrove that, lose a bit of weight and get in good shape to start marathon training proper.

total mileage last week was 25 miles...

plan for this week is as follows:
    Wednesday.. 5.7 miles
    Friday..........5.7 miles
    Saturday......5 miles approx
    Sunday........7 miles

Total...........23.4

I'm just making a note of this because from tomorrow I want to start taking the training up a notch and really concentrate on my diet. In fact from this moment going forward, I think I will log what I eat as well as my weight on a weekly basis. It will act as a log for me where I can see exactly how bad / well i'm eating and improve as I go along. It might also generate some feedback from some more experienced on the nutrition side of things.

Ok, did my 5.7 miles today, 47mins20, 8 min 20 sec miles, it was warm, pushed it a bit today, did consistent mile splits. Today I ate:
    2 x weetabix with milk
    Orange juice
    Muffin + coffee
    Chicken, cheese, tomato and pesto ciabatta
    Vegetable soup
    Cheese bagel and coleslaw
    4 pineapple rings
    Bag of fruit and nut mix from aldi

Could do with cutting out the muffin but it's nice for elevenses
    Weighed myself this morn and I was 12 st 9,
    I am aiming for 12 st 4 come 5 miler in the park in July

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

just out of curiosity, what height are you?
    Dublin is pretty flat with only a couple of hills. Here's an elevation profile. It's flatter than it looks in that profile!

Oh yeah, I'm 6 foot 1, that elevation profile looks good, no gain greater than 160 feet and over a 5 mile period, I imagine that's like a fairly slight incline, and there is some long slight declines aswell, so all in all very doable. I run up sinnotts town lane most nights, you'll know it from wex, the mile which included that hill took 9 mins 45 secs last night, should b good training, I know there is an equivelant mile downhill aswell which last night I did in 7mins23secs

Total mileage last week a rubbish 5.7 miles, it's ok I have a new plan going forward.

3.3 miles today, 28.5 mins

3.3 this morn, 29mins36, easy but hard

3.3 miles at lunch 28 mins, noice....................3.3

5.7 this morn, easy, legs never woke up, 50 mins 50 secs, ........5.7

50 mins.............. 5.7

49 mins 50 secs, ok run, not helped by brekky roll, lunchtime Indian food and slice of tart, happy enough though, didn't have iPod with me but couldn't get the song "invaders must die" by prodigy outta me head, check it out you'll c wot I mean...............5.7

Lsr this morning, bloody hell it was warm out there, I sweat buckets. I was really pleased with run though considering the heat. Felt strong in parts, some fair hills around though, Planned to do 10 miles going out but I was passing my house and it was just too warm. Anyway 76 mins, so just over 9 min miles and that was taking it fairly easy, heart got goin on the hills though............8.5

total mileage this week ......28.9

Right first things first... Damn u garmin and your accuracy, I was much happier going by the cars odometer. My 3.3 mile route is actually 3.2, not a huge difference I know but still about 16 secs per mile slower pace wise. Ok, this is the first day of marathon training proper, I've decided to keep my own log because then I can ramble as much as I want and I'll have the permanent record of my endeavours in chronological order.

I also want to be as honest as I can here in an attempt to stay consistent and to modify what I currently consider to be a bad diet. In other words, when I see that I've eaten scrambled eggs and bacon on toast, lasagne & chips, ice cream, chicken jal frezi and pilau rice with onion bhaji and popadums, and three cokes all in the one day, it might just pursuade me to cop on. By the way that wasn't what I ate on Saturday, honest!

Anyway a good start runwise today, because I ran on the first day really. I ran my 3.3 route, ok 3.2 in 27 mins 9 secs, 8.5 min miles. Because it was a short run, I tried to push myself but the legs didn't respond. Maybe it was the long run yesterday or maybe the energy sapping heat, by jeepers it was warm out there this evening, my t shirt was embarassingly wet with perspiration. I kept going though and was pleased enough.

Diet wise I started really well, bowl of porridge and oj, Anita bean would be proud of me. Then, I went down to shop to get a banana at 11ses today and ended up taking a detour to coffee shop and got sausage, bacon & scrambled egg on toast and a black coffee......., what the hell? My first day of the programme and falling of the rails by 11 o clock, bill o herlihy would tell me I was the architect of my own down fall. I had a sambo for lunch followed by kit kat chunky (love them), and grilled chicken, new spuds and beans for dinner so not too bad after that. Will defo have a banana for 11ses tomorrow, no. 1 fitness food according to ms bean.

Onwards and upwards................. 3.3

• Advertisement

Sweet jeepers it's warm out there, did my 5.7 mile route at lunch time, 52 mins or thereabouts, felt like I was crawling at one stage, and the perspiration was pouring out through me, pretty tired now aswell. Found it tough goig today, not sure if it was the heat, the fact that it's my 3rd run in a row or didn't get much sleep last night.........5.7

Beautiful evening, 3.2 miles today........ 26 mins 55 secs (still think it's 3.3) tough going again in the heat.........3.3

Just put a really good run, 5.7 miles, 46 mins 26 secs, really happy with that, felt good so I pushed it a bit.

That's given me a bit of confidence to go sub 40 in the park for 5 miler.............5.7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

You'll get sub-40 mins in the 5 mile race no problem with training times like that!

xebec wrote: »
    You'll get sub-40 mins in the 5 mile race no problem with training times like that!

Thanks xebec, hope you are right, bit of work to do yet

Haven't updated this since last thursday, lsr 8 miles on Friday, really easy 9:45 min miles, I'm contemplating going out this evening for 5 miles easy but I feel really dodgy, might b the best thing for me though. Drank loads of pints, vodka red bulls, jaeger bombers, scotches And those
    little apply yokes, also smoked 40 fags and ate the greatest pile of ****e u could imagine, bloody stag do.

Anyway that is it for me in terms of debauchery, Ive just had a long chat with myself and it's here that the dedication really begins, ok hardest 5 mile training run in the history of man mind coming up, should b ok as long as I can avoid the trots........ 8.2

Jaaayyssuussssss, 43 mins 17 secs............5.13

copied from sub430 mentored thread

i did my strides today aswell, in fact I was 4 minute miling for 12 seconds at one stage, wink.gif. Garmin went a bit weird on me today. Did a 5.7 mile run but I think I inadvertantly stopped the watch whilst trying to lock the bezel. Averaged 9 min 5 sec miles with an average BPM of 159. I think thats ok cause thats marathon pace for me. A decent tempo run. Max today was 179 but that included uphill climb. Did my 3 sets of strides and loved them. That was cool.

I don't know about anyone else though but in this humid weather I am sweating profusely, its a bit embarassing. Weekend of debauchery could not have helped there either. Feel much better now though. cool.gif..........5.7

3.2 miles today, pushed it, 25 mins, 54 secs, my fastest time for that route which I always thought was 3.3. It is actually 3.2 though, I thought I had reached the milestone of under 8 min miles, which wouldn't be bad cause it includes a .5 mile tough hill and a good mile of fair drag, it also contains .5 coming down the big hill and the return leg of the mile of drag. Anyway I make it out at 8 min 5 sec miles, I will get there some day. Actually gmap pedometer calculates it as 3.235 miles which is bang on 8 mins per mile..........3.3

• Advertisement

All credit to odometers, I did my 3.3 mile route again with the Garmin and it is exactly 3.3 miles, I knew it. I have looked at the route on connect for when it measured it 3.2 and the satellites didnt kick in until I had just left my estate. This is significant enough because it mean yesterdays run was 7 min 50 sec miles. This is the first time I have broken 8 min miles for any of my runs even though I know that this is only a 3 miler. I am absolutely thrilled with myself.

Anyway today, 3.3, 8 min 43 sec miles. ....................3.3

Advertisement