Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sub 1:40 half marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Lunchtime run. 4.6 miles. 38:24. Quite warm out there. Found it tough going after the weekend and I'm still not the Mae west, delightedcto have done that run though. .............4.6

Great session this morning in the lashing rain. Was out the door by 7:20 to complete and 8 miler. Dirk diggler says 7 for today but it's a 8 mile loop so what you gonna do? Well 7.9 really. Anyhoo it was like three different sessions in one, the first two miles were warm up, around 9 min miles. They were tough enough.

Then I did 2 miles LT, that was a bas***d this morning, those miles were 7:33 and 8 bang on. The next mile was a pain aswell. 10:07, the I loved the last three and felt really strong coming home, running at perceived effort.

Final stats, 8 miles, 69:07, avg 8:45 miles, avg hr 161 (wore hrm but set watch to time and ignored hr and pace).

Anyway, I'm delighted that I could do 8 miles mid week without too much of an adverse reaction.

4.6 tomorrow
    14 on Friday / saturday
    7 @ pmp one other day this week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

I also think I'll try and shed a few pounds before this race, so I can really put in a good performance. I'm gonna try and lose half a stone over the next three weeks.

Careful there osnola.
    Losing half a stone in 3 weeks would not be generally recommended. By all means continue your programme and rather than "dieting" just eat a "balanced" healthy diet (easier said than done :rolleyes:).
    Losing such weight in such a short space of time could have adverse effects as regards your strength & stamina - both of which are handy when facing a 10 mile race.
    Good luck.

Ok maybe half a stone is pushing it a bit. I was just thinking that I eat so many takeaways and rubbish that if I cut them out entirely and replaced them with more nutritious meals and consume less alcahol then the weight would come off quite fast.

Anyway, 4.56 miles this morning, really slooow, 9:58 miles, avg bpm 144, that's the bit that pleases me the most, I think I'm getting more efficient

Went out to do 14 mile lsr this morning. Had my gels and water ready. Ended up being half that - 7 miles. Major lessons learned.

Too big a breakfast

went out too soon after big breakfast

run didn't go well from the start, had a stitch from mile one, then my stomach started. I struggled through miles one to 7 but just couldn't really get going. Then on mile 8, I just had to stop, and walked the last mile home. It's a good thing I factored home as a pit stop on the 14 mile run. The walk was torture, I honestly didn't think Id make it. But thankfully I got there before complete disaster. Couldn't face the last 6 after that, I'll attempt it again tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Thats a pity about this morning oi. I suppose as you said lessons learned. I think a lot of our marathon training is about learning whats good to do on the day and whats not. I intend to treat all my long slow runs from now on as a dress rehearsal for the big day so what ever I learn from each one will be a big help.

Best of luck with the re-run tomorrow.

Bally8 wrote: »
    Thats a pity about this morning oi. I suppose as you said lessons learned. I think a lot of our marathon training is about learning whats good to do on the day and whats not. I intend to treat all my long slow runs from now on as a dress rehearsal for the big day so what ever I learn from each one will be a big help.

Best of luck with the re-run tomorrow.

Thanks Bally8. And very nicely summed up in relation to training and lsr's. I was up this morning at 6:00 and went straight down to hydrate and get some breakfast, I will be doing the same thing on the day (fingers crossed). But the real race wont start until 9, and I was out the door today at 7. Won't be doing that again tomorrow.

Only problem with tomorrow is I am going out for pints tonight and an Indian. Its a kind of stag night but I have made a preemptive strike and made it explicitly clear that I will be going home after the meal. LSR is the priority. Now.... lets hope I stick to that plan. Should be ok, I never feel like drinking after eating when I've been drinking b4 eating, if you know what I mean.

Nights out are very difficult. I have decided to be the driver tonight so there is no chance of drinking too much. I'm still going to be up till about 3 though so that wont be so good for my lsr tomorrow. Its better than being hungover I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Bobby04

I suppose as you said lessons learned. I think a lot of our marathon training is about learning whats good to do on the day and whats not. I intend to treat all my long slow runs from now on as a dress rehearsal for the big day so what ever I learn from each one will be a big help.

+1

I always try to get more out of a LSR than just improving my stamina etc. For me every LSR brings some aches or pains along the way, or maybe mind games eg. why the hell am I doing this, an extra hour or two in bed would be much more fun! etc. So yeah, it's all part of the training, which hopefully will stand to us on the big day. Put it down to useful experience and keep at it.

yeah bally8, that night out Saturday was a bit weird in so far as I was twisted after 4 / 5 pints. Made it home early but was still really hungover the following day and missed the lsr. Is it the increase in training that is responsible for me getting so drunk so quick. Sorry for the poorly constructed sentences, too tired after my lsr today.

You are spot on about the lsr's aswell bobby04, but I'm actually getting mental blocks about them, the jump to 14 / 15 mikes is freakin me out a bit.

Not an ideal lsr this morning, went with my sisters boyfriend who is a lot fitter than I am. Anyway, the pace was a bit much for me. We were out for 11.6 miles or thereabouts approx 1:40 and 8:34 min miles. I'm knackered now. That will be my last big push before the frank duffy.................. 11.6

gonna do a 15 mile lsr this week then prepare for frank duffy

we hi

• Advertisement

Bit of a tergat effort today, albeit slightly faster than it should have been. 4.6 miles, 40:30, really tough after yesterdays run. Bloody warm out there aswell. That's a good thing I suppose as it won't be as warm in October. The plan for the rest of the week is 8 miles tomorrow, rest day on Thursday (needed), then lsr on Friday. I have an 8 mile route so I'm gonna run it twice for a 16 mile lsr. Then I gonna get one more 8 mile in on sat or sun. So all in all should be close to 50 miles this week. Then serious taper for mr duffy.

7.93 miles this morning, started out nice and slow but opened the taps for the last 3 miles, splits were as follows:

Mile 1 8:39 / 140 bpm
    2 9:19 / 152 bpm
    3 9:42 / 152
    4 9:49 / 154
    5 9:57 / 158
    6 8:30 / 164
    7 7:27 / 174
    8 8:35 / 178…........... 7.93

15.79 mile lsr this morning, it was a really tough session, can feel it the legs, but at the same time I never completely crashed.
    15.79, 2:29:41, 156 av bpm.

Hr is a little too high for my liking. I took a gel at miles 8 and 12, I actually did the same 8ish mile route twice so I swung by my house at mile 8 to pick up a bottle of water. Drank 500 mls along the way. Not enough, felt a bit dehydrated, it was a glorious morning aswell so a little warm out there.

I still don't know what my marathon goal is, 4 hrs or 3:45, this mornings pace puts me 1 min above 3:45 pace but the hr was a little high I reckon. I also ran a sub 8 min 13th mile to see bow clos I could get to a 2 hour half. It was approx 2:03 for 13.1. I'm now thinking I want to train for a sub 4 marathon, running 10 min mile lsr's, and get the heart rate down. and if there are great improvements over the next 11 weeks or that, I will take aNother look. I don't really want to kill myself…….… 15.79

Really good session this morning, legs r a little sore but nothing serious at all. I ran my 7.9 mile route in 74 mins or there abouts, 9:28 min mikes avg bpm 150. I'm delighted with hr on that run. With a good 11 weeks to go, that run has made me sure of my marathon goal now. I'm going for sub 3:45...................7.9

Bit of a pace session this morning through glanmire. 6 miles 49:49. That is definitely my last tough session before the race on Saturday and was probably a bit stoopid. Done now. So just gonna do 2 very handy 3 milers before now and then. My race number arrived in the post yesterday aswell. Woohoo............6

Ran 3.3 miles this afternoon in 32mins05. Really enjoyed it. I've been on holidays so I've been eating all around me, not good prep for 10 miler tomorrow.

However, I've arrived in Dublin and I'm focused on the task ahead. It would be great to get in under 80 mins but I'm secretly hoping for sub 78, fingers crossed. Best of luck everybody. .............3.3

Best of luck oi

Best of luck oi

Thanks bally8, I think you are running an lsr equivalent to a half this weekend so best of luck with that,

I've just read your log and it's made me realize that I forgot my high5 gels for tomorrow ;), but it's not necessarily a bad thing because at the same time your post has turned me off the things for life thanks to your wonderful comparisons, ;)

Thanks bally8, I think you are running an lsr equivalent to a half this weekend so best of luck with that,

I've just read your log and it's made me realize that I forgot my high5 gels for tomorrow ;), but it's not necessarily a bad thing because at the same time your post has turned me off the things for life thanks to your wonderful comparisons, ;)

Ha ha sorry about that :D Im still going to keep trying them though- cant throw out the whole box in these recessionary times!

Frank duffy 10 miler.

Really disAppointed with 82:47, dammit I thought I was good for sub80.

I dont know what went wrong, I guess I'm not as fit as I thought I was. I was in cork for the last week and ate all around me, that was nit a good idea. I also only ran 9 miles this week before the race so maybe that's it. My pacing was crazy aswell, for some reason I thought I could sustain 7:30 min miles for 10. Fool of a took. I should have stuck with the plan and paced 8 min miles. My first was 7:23 and the second was 7:27. I actually feel less fit than I did 4 weeks ago.

I just never got going, had to take 5 walking breaks and was passed by hundreds on the last 3 mikes where I just blew up.

I took a gel at mile 6 which picked me up for half a mile but then I fell flat again.

It's made me more determined though, 6 weeks to half marathon, I'm gonna be fitter, stronger and faster. I'm gonna pace myself properly and finish stronger than I started, I'll be the one passing people at the end.

Tonight though, Chinese and maybe beer.

Well done to everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Hard luck OI, I'm feeling your pain. Still a great time, even though you're disappointed - I'd be so happy if I were you. We'll all be fit and fab at the half marathon!

racheljev wrote: »
    Hard luck OI, I'm feeling your pain. Still a great time, even though you're disappointed - I'd be so happy if I were you. We'll all be fit and fab at the half marathon!

Thanks racheljev, I've just read your log and you were hit with tummy problems on the wrong day, well done for sticking with it and finishing strongly.

The half will be a different story, disappointment can be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Frank duffy 10 miler.

Really disAppointed with 82:47, dammit I thought I was good for sub80.

I dont know what went wrong, I guess I'm not as fit as I thought I was. I was in cork for the last week and ate all around me, that was nit a good idea. I also only ran 9 miles this week before the race so maybe that's it. My pacing was crazy aswell, for some reason I thought I could sustain 7:30 min miles for 10. Fool of a took. I should have stuck with the plan and paced 8 min miles. My first was 7:23 and the second was 7:27. I actually feel less fit than I did 4 weeks ago.

I just never got going, had to take 5 walking breaks and was passed by hundreds on the last 3 mikes where I just blew up.

I took a gel at mile 6 which picked me up for half a mile but then I fell flat again.

It's made me more determined though, 6 weeks to half marathon, I'm gonna be fitter, stronger and faster. I'm gonna pace myself properly and finish stronger than I started, I'll be the one passing people at the end.

Tonight though, Chinese and maybe beer.

Well done to everyone.

Hard luck OI. Its an easy mistake to make with pacing; its just much better to make this mistake over 10 miles than 26.2 miles :)

asimonov wrote: »
    Hard luck OI. Its an easy mistake to make with pacing; its just much better to make this mistake over 10 miles than 26.2 miles :)

Thanks asimonov, I'm gutted, how did you get on pacing the oh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Thanks asimonov, I'm gutted, how did you get on pacing the oh

grand, we had abandoned the sub 80 target for just a PB before we started...and she managed to get the exact same time... i'm so fired as a pacer...

Still annoyed with myself for not breaking the 80 minute mark on Saturday. So put in a fairly quick (for me) session today in an attempt to exorcise those demons. 5.14 miles, 40:53, 7:58 min miles. Feel better now.

I think rainbow kirkby alluded to the fact that she liked running whn it got a bit darker, +1 on that, I feel great coming in after nights like that. Gonna get up early for 8 miles tomorrow before work. I'm just gonna put the weekend behind me now and concentrate on the training. The half is on in 6 weeks time where I have stated a goal of 1:44:59, I'm gonna aim for that still, 6 weeks of training with a better idea of pacing now and hopefully I will acheive that goal. .............5.14

7.94 miles tonight 1:06, a good tempo run again tonight and finished quite strongly............... 7.94

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

I'm gonna be fitter, stronger and faster. I'm gonna pace myself properly and finish stronger than I started, I'll be the one passing people at the end.

Good stuff osnola.

Good stuff osnola.

Risin' up, back on the street
    Did my time, took my chances
    Went the distance, now I'm back on my feet
    Just a man and his will to survive

etc etc. :D

• Advertisement

4.6 miles "easy" at lunch time, 41.4 mins, wasn't that easy, .................. 4.6

Advertisement