Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sub 1:40 half marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

7.9 miles this morning, 1:11:37, 9:04 min miles avg hr 153 bpm.……........7.9

I ran my first 10 k race this morning, 46:47, I'm delighted. I heard last night that there was a 10k in curracloe this morning so I googled and right ya be 12 noon kick off. Now I had 6 pints last night and was feeling a bit seedy this morning, but I thought feck it I'll chance it, it's a beautiful morning.

So I threw on my gear and head off to register at 11, I text the organizer and she told me to be there at that time. It was a great morning and a lovely run through the forest and then on to the beach. Mile 4 was hard because the was an short uphill section followed by a soft sand beach section, but other than that it was wonderful.

I paced myself well for a change, starting out with a 7:50 mile and finishing with a 7:36 mile so I was really pleased with that. Then we got a goody bag, tshirt, and a bbq'd burger. Best day ever............ 6.2

actually, those figures don't make sense do they, my garmin said the route was 5.98, but I thought it might have lost some signal in the forest, must check it out. Still a great morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭aero2k

Sounds like fun Osnola, I presume you had great weather there too.
    I love those races where it's your first time at the distance, guaranteed PB!

aero2k wrote: »
    Sounds like fun Osnola, I presume you had great weather there too.
    I love those races where it's your first time at the distance, guaranteed PB!

Yeah, the weather was fantastic. I'm afraid all I can really do though is regard it as a 6 mile tempo run, is was a good .2 of a mile short of a 10k. I have another on Friday though in kilmore so providing that's accurately measured I'll definitely be setting my 10k pb. I had great fun this morning though, and met some really nice people. And I finished 22nd woohoo out of 150 people .... Result. I'm sure it wasn't a top class field but tell that to the record books

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I have another on Friday though in kilmore so providing that's accurately measured I'll definitely be setting my 10k pb.

Eh, Saturday... You gave me a fright there cos there's no way I'd make it down for a race on Friday evening...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Good stuff OI, well done. Gives you a good target for next week as well.

xebec wrote: »
    Eh, Saturday... You gave me a fright there cos there's no way I'd make it down for a race on Friday evening...

oh yeah, sorry

thanks asimonov, I have a 17 mile lsr next week, so i'm just gonna treat that 10k as a good tempo run, something under 50 would be fantastic.

Went out again this morning for 11.15 miles 1:42:30, avg bpm 153, 9:12 min miles. Yea it was tough going this morning. I feel very tired now and I'm definitely taking a rest day tomorrow. I've put in a good few miles this week and I'm happy with how things are progressing. I didn't have too much fuel on board this morning just one glass of water and the remains of the club energizer from yesterdays race. I was out last night aswell again, and had a fair bit to drink which couldn't have helped.

I have a wedding in two weeks time and bar that I am now knocking the drink on the head for the next two months, probably. ................ 11.15

total miles this week .........42.73

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hey OI, just catching back up with your log. Really surprised with the 10 mile time, since like you I had a 37.5 min 5 miler I would have expected us both to have done a sub 1h20m 10 miler easily, now I am not so sure. What went wrong? was it purely pacing? Do you think you would have been able to keep up 8 minute miles ok if you hadn't sprinted out from the traps? Or like I have been suspecting recently, is it all about the legs over the longer distances?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Hey OI, just catching back up with your log. Really surprised with the 10 mile time, since like you I had a 37.5 min 5 miler I would have expected us both to have done a sub 1h20m 10 miler easily, now I am not so sure. What went wrong? was it purely pacing? Do you think you would have been able to keep up 8 minute miles ok if you hadn't sprinted out from the traps? Or like I have been suspecting recently, is it all about the legs over the longer distances?

hey menoscemo, welcome back, hope you had a good time. Sorry to hear about your toe, I hope its ok and wont hinder your training in any serious way.

What went wrong in the ten mile? Thanks for dredging that one up again. A number of things were wrong I think, they are really not worth discussing at this stage but seen as you asked get ready for excuse fest!

I ate too much that week (on holidays)
    I didn't train enough since the 5 miler and didn't do enough tempo sessions
    I thought I was better than I was and set out too fast
    I just didn't feel that great from the off
    My pacing was all wrong
    I listen to too many people

or.................
    Or like I have been suspecting recently, is it all about the legs over the longer distances?

I think someone posted here at some stage that you can bluff a 5 miler but the 10 should sort the men from the boys, well basically, I was found out. Lesson learned, goals revised.

I really enjoyed my training this week though so onwards and upwards, I'm really positive about the running again.

• Advertisement

5.12 miles 40:19, oh and an 8 mile cycle before hand.............5.12

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

Hi there.

I ran that 10k last Saturday and I got it at 5.98 miles on my Garmin too. I had put it down to the loss of signal in the forest. Are you sure it was short, or assuming that based on your Garmin? I ran just over 46 mins, but I fell at the 6k mark... no idea how, just seemed to catch my foot on something in the sand. Messed up my last 4k.

Good luck with your training, and good look in Kilmore this weekend.

Domer.

Domer wrote: »
    Hi there.

I ran that 10k last Saturday and I got it at 5.98 miles on my Garmin too. I had put it down to the loss of signal in the forest. Are you sure it was short, or assuming that based on your Garmin? I ran just over 46 mins, but I fell at the 6k mark... no idea how, just seemed to catch my foot on something in the sand. Messed up my last 4k.

Good luck with your training, and good look in Kilmore this weekend.

Domer.

hi domer, that's a pity about the fall, the course was very trail like in parts. I had a great day though and really enjoyed the run.

Yeah I'm basing the 5.98 miles on my garmin, but also my pace wasn't 46 min territory I don't think. It felt like and I aimed for 8 min miles not 7.5 mins

7.89 miles 1:11:21, avg hr 154 + 3 miles on bike…..............7.89

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

good luck tomorrow OI, remember to start at or below target pace and to leave something in the tank towards the end. enjoy.

Good luck tomorrow, I'm still planning on making it down to Kilmore too so might bump into you... I'll have a red adidas t-shirt and grey/blue nike shorts on, say hi if you spot me :)

Good luck tomorrow, I'm still planning on making it down to Kilmore too so might bump into you... I'll have a red adidas t-shirt and grey/blue nike shorts on, say hi if you spot me :)

Certainly will do, I'll be in all black myself, Nike top, see ya there and good luck

thanks for the best wishes asimonov, gonna treat this one as a good tempo session though cause have a 17 miler lsr on Sunday so I'll need to stay relatively fresh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Thanks for the support oi in my training log. Best of luck tomorrow and with the 17 on sunday:)

Hi guys, just back from the kilmore 10k, this was a proper 10k, 6.2 mikes as per garmin so I can now post my official first 10k time of 47:08.

I said before hand that i was treating this as a tempo run and I started out that way but it's difficult to maintain that pace in a race. I still felt I had something in the tank though when I finished so I'm really happy with the run tonight.

Nobody overtook me again so finally I'm beginning to get the pacing right. Actually one guy overtook me. On the home straight I went hairing by two fellas at the line, but the second guy was having none of it and sprinted past me again. He had loadsa support too so he was obviously local. I'm raging I gave him that moment, I should have run a bit faster.

It was a nice course, relatively flat with a few drags on it. We had to share the course with tractors, and we ran by some lovely country scenery including a field with some fabulous horses. We ran down a laneway at one point that was really nice aswell. I overtook a guy there on mile 4 who was really struggling. Hope he was ok! Is it just me or is mile four always the toughest in a 10k.

Splits: 1. 7:48
    2. 7:46
    3. 7:48
    4. 7:40
    5. 7:32
    6. 7:26
    .2. 1:09

Anyway nice evening and happy with the time. .....................6.2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Congrats, I would have liked to have done this one. Great pacing you got quicker with each mile. Have you thought about the Pearl izumi 10k, it'll give you a chance to meet a few fellow boardsies and a quick course also.

• Advertisement

Woddle wrote: »
    Congrats, I would have liked to have done this one. Great pacing you got quicker with each mile. Have you thought about the Pearl izumi 10k, it'll give you a chance to meet a few fellow boardsies and a quick course also.

Thanks Woddle, the pearl izumi sounds like a great gig. Unfortunately I have college that weekend. I'm doing a distance education degree with about 5 weekends of lectures in lansdowne road. One of the weekends is that one. I would like to meet a few boardsies at some stage though. I'd say there will be a bit of a meet up b4 the marathon.

But maybe we could indicate a meetig point for the half in September aswell. I never seem to see any boards ac singlets when in Phoenix park. When they asked me if I was with a club today, I was very tempted to say boards ac, but I'm not subscribed so don't want to disrespect it either. I think I would like to subscribe at some stage. TBH, boards is invaluable to me and my training.

I am going for the pearl izumi 10k in a fortnight. I never knew what my target was before this, but now I know that under 47 minutes is my target. I am drunk but **** it. I also fancy myself for a sub 1:45 half marathon but don't tell anyone (bit drunk). cu soon.

Oh yeah and well done!! how do you find doing the LSR the day after the race? I think the week of my 10k I will do the LSR midweek and have th day after the race off.
    BTW I see mcmillan has you down for a 37:36 5 mile based on that Time. Pretty accurate isn't he? (still a 3:41 marathon too!!!)

16.18 lsr this morning, meant to be 17 but could drag my sorry ass through another mile. 2:34:02, 9:31 min mile, avg hr 156.

That was one of the toughest runs I have ever done. An absolute slog. Maybe it was due in part to the quick 10k yesterday evening. If ever you wanted a stark reminder that marathons aren't easy, that was it. My legs are stiff and I actually feel a little nauseous. I picked up my nutrition belt from home after 8 miles nad wanted to stay there.

I reckon it was just the race, was goping to say it would probably be better to do the LSR in the week with a race on the weekend.

I reckon it was just the race, was goping to say it would probably be better to do the LSR in the week with a race on the weekend.

Yeah, I hope it was the race cause that has nearly turned me off lsr's for life.

You are going extremely well, based on my time this morning, you are almost a full minute per mile faster than me on the long ones, and at a more efficient heart rate aswell. I think you are definitely on for sub 4 with a good 8 weeks to go. In fact you are well on for a sub 3:45 based on that last training report.

I had delusions of sub 3:45 at one stage but I'm gonna reign myself back now big time, sub 4 is the target, and I'll be lucky to get it. The shorter stuff is fine but my legs just don't seem to have the distance in them. Slow and steady wins the race and all that.

Actually things are getting pretty hectic for me now. I'm at a wedding for the entire weekend next weekend and then I'm away at college for the weekend after so I have to get my lsr's in during the week.

Have you ever done a lsr on Sunday followed by a longer one on the Wednesday, cause I think that's how I'll have to work it this week. Q for the overlord amadeus methinks. Good to see you have joined our little experiment aswell meno. :cool:

Yeah, I hope it was the race cause that has nearly turned me off lsr's for life.

You are going extremely well, based on my time this morning, you are almost a full minute per mile faster than me on the long ones, and at a more efficient heart rate aswell. I think you are definitely on for sub 4 with a good 8 weeks to go. In fact you are well on for a sub 3:45 based on that last training report.

I had delusions of sub 3:45 at one stage but I'm gonna reign myself back now big time, sub 4 is the target, and I'll be lucky to get it. The shorter stuff is fine but my legs just don't seem to have the distance in them. Slow and steady wins the race and all that.

Actually things are getting pretty hectic for me now. I'm at a wedding for the entire weekend next weekend and then I'm away at college for the weekend after so I have to get my lsr's in during the week.

Have you ever done a lsr on Sunday followed by a longer one on the Wednesday, cause I think that's how I'll have to work it this week. Q for the overlord amadeus methinks. Good to see you have joined our little experiment aswell meno. :cool:

No never have done LSr's that close. I hate LSR's too, but I am happy that I did a good 15 and 18 before I went off and will now repeat them. I reckon it will hold me in good stead in the long run. Last weekends 15 miler was a shocker I didn't expect it to go well. When I did my 18 miler a month ago, I felt like you today. Thought I was going to die and that my legs would fall off:p I don't bother much about HR on the LSR's. I reckon mine is a bit lower than your naturally (You have a higher max me thinks) so I wouldn't say I am more efficient- at the end of the day it is about whether or not the legs can cope with the distance. I certainly don't intend to go any faster on the big day. I reckon if I can get to mile 20 in under 3 hours it will give me a bit of leeway on the home stretch. I will be happy with 4 hours and certainly do not plan negative splits!!!

Like you I am busy coming up. It is my sister's wedding the day before the half in the park, I will probably be coming down from fermanagh at 6am that morning. What's you plan fo the half? I am thinking to start out on 8 minute miles and see how long I can hold it....see you there anyway.

Hey OI, congrats on the race! I didn't make it down in the end, my weekend's plan changed very quickly on Friday when I got caught late in work... Oh well...

Hey OI, congrats on the race! I didn't make it down in the end, my weekend's plan changed very quickly on Friday when I got caught late in work... Oh well...

that's unfortunate mate, bloody work eh? Thanks, it was a good evening. I finished 109 out of 180 I think so i think it was a fairly strong field. Good few clubs there and some that made the trip from dublin. I kept an eye out for you but knew fairly early on that you didn't make it. Anyway next race is the half in the park so should be a good few boardsies there.

Like you I am busy coming up. It is my sister's wedding the day before the half in the park, I will probably be coming down from fermanagh at 6am that morning. What's you plan fo the half? I am thinking to start out on 8 minute miles and see how long I can hold it....see you there anyway.

my plan is exactly that, not 7:50, 8 min miles bang on and hope that I can hold it and maybe have something in the tank for the final 3

see ya in 4 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done OI. Great running!

Advertisement