Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sub 1:40 half marathon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

my plan is exactly that, not 7:50, 8 min miles bang on and hope that I can hold it and maybe have something in the tank for the final 3

see ya in 4 weeks

cool man, see you at the start line- don't charge off on a 7 minute mile like the last time!! (in saying that the first mile and a half is downhill so maybe an oping 7:50 is in order).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Well done OI. Great running!

Cheers KC, I see you are tapering for Berlin, best of luck, it doesn't seem that long since you came back from injury, fantastic achievement

menoscemo wrote: »
    cool man, see you at the start line- don't charge off on a 7 minute mile like the last time!! (in saying that the first mile and a half is downhill so maybe an oping 7:50 is in order).

Down the ruddy kyber, neeeyoum, no way man, 8 min opener, gotta reserve that energy, no such thing as free steps in running an' all that jazz.

I'm slowly beginning to make amends for my bad pacing decisions in the past.

Ok took on board amadeus suggestion in the dcm mentored thread and did 4 with 2 LT, actually 4.63 with 2 LT.

Splits were:

1. 8:55
    2. 8:12
    3. 7:34
    4. 7:58
    .63. 5:33

I'm getting really pissed off with Joe public. There is some bunch of dickheads out there. Today on my run, a drunken eejit was walking in the opposite direction to me and stuck out his foot whilst shouting "am gunnar trip ya waaah ha ha ha", uurgh dick, do which my eloquant response was "go **** yourself" and gave him the two fingers.

On Sunday I got shouted at from a car window.

On Friday I was cycling home from work up a steep narrow road, the cars were getting awfully close to me so I jumped up on the footpath (it was completely clear of pedestrians), I kept going for a bit and them I came across a bush that hadn't been cut back. I went to cycle through it but got a bit caught and stumbled off the bike and to a halt. At this point a van comes flying up the road and some young dude has his head out the window roaring laughing at me. OK I kinda deserved that one but I gave him the finger none the less.................4.6

it is I, captain pillowcase

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31670380@N07/3876170036/

from the 10k on Saturday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 KILMOREAC

There are more photos being added this week. You will get them at

http://www.kilmoreathletics.com/index.php/photos/116-kilmore-ac-10k-photos

Hope you enjoyed the run.

Kilmore AC

KILMOREAC wrote: »
    There are more photos being added this week. You will get them at

http://www.kilmoreathletics.com/index.php/photos/116-kilmore-ac-10k-photos

Hope you enjoyed the run.

Kilmore AC

thanks, yeah I really enjoyed the run, it was a lovely route and my first 10k proper so automatic pb.

Congrats to all involved in the organising of it. See ya next year!

Ok 17.6 mile lsr this morning, 2:40:10, avg hr, 157, 9:06 min miles.

They are tough, there is no denying it. And I'm not sure I like them that much, those lsr's. The time included a stop off at my house to re vas the nips and grab my water and nutrition belt, so that would have added another 2 mins approx so I might have ducked under 9 min miles. So, I'm happy. Nothing major to report, legs are very stiff and a little sore, and I had a fairly bad stiffness in my upper back just between my shoulder blades that lasted from about mile 8 to the finish. I need to relax a little more maybe. There was a huge difference in the way I felt on this run and the lsr last Sunday. Last Sunday was hell. I took the last two days off running so that may have helped........................................... 17.6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

They are tough, there is no denying it. And I'm not sure I like them that much, those lsr's.

With you all the way on that one! :D

Cracking run OI, bang on PMP I reckon?? I told you it was probably just the fact that you ran a 10k race on saturday. There is definately no harm taking a few days off even missing a shorter session or two, as llong as you get the LSR in. I am missing a session this wek, but my other two 'short sessions' have been quality and I will be doing my LSR on saturday.

• Advertisement

Cracking run OI, bang on PMP I reckon?? I told you it was probably just the fact that you ran a 10k race on saturday. There is definately no harm taking a few days off even missing a shorter session or two, as llong as you get the LSR in. I am missing a session this wek, but my other two 'short sessions' have been quality and I will be doing my LSR on saturday.

hey menoscemo, thanks, yeah I think you were right about last Sundays lsr, I mean what a difference today. I also agree with you about getting the lsr's in. I have to be happy with that run tbh.

Best of luck with the lsr on Saturday, I really think we are both now good for sub4, fingers crossed, really don't think I'll be stupidly ambitious about this, my first marathon. The thing I'm constantly learning is marathons are hard, really hard, this mornings run was ok until mile 14, then it became really hard, and I've been wrecked since!

5 mile recovery cycle, nothing too taxing

Ok, went out for a tempo (punishment) run, quite warm and rainy. 5.7, 43:33, tough............... 5.7

7.9 miles today, perfect evening for it 64:40, quickish tempo.

Encountered some problems today, right leg, very hard to pin point but pain is all up the right hand side of my right leg. It feels like a trapped muscle or something. It kinda started out in the knee area and then spread through leg.

I don't think it's anything serious and could be gone tomorrow. Particularly sore running up hills and now when I walk up the stairs. Was feeling pretty dodgy afterwards aswell tummy wise. I'll see how I feel tomorrow............. 7.9

5.7 miles, 47:30, grand except that I set out to do 13 cause in college this weekend. May do it when I get home on Sunday :cool:

Turns out the stiffness in the leg thing is a touch of runners knee. Went to see my physical therapist today and he explained what was causing it. He's a bit of a miracle worker really. After 20 mins of him battering the sh1t out of my right leg, I was good to go. Felt a little twingy as I set out but as I said he just beat the crap out of my leg (had my eyes closed the whole time, tWas really embarassing actually how many little girly shrieks I made).

The reason 13 didn't happen was my nipple plaster fell off. Think I need to cut a bit more hair from that region before reapplying. Either that or large dollops of vas. Ah, I wasn't really up for it tonight either, bit tired, thinking about college etc. Life is busy, thank god. Wish it would chill out for a bit though, next thing the missus will be preggers again or summit.

Oh crap, I've just realized I have itbs, leg a bit stiff again today, getting a bit worried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Oh crap, I've just realized I have itbs

Dont say that!!! Maybe you dont have it- go to your physio asap. Injuries suck!!

Oh crap, I've just realized I have itbs, leg a bit stiff again today, getting a bit worried

I am beginning to realise that injuries are par for the course for us noobs. Get to physio asap. I am going to try to keep my running to 2 midweek runs and a LSR per week from now on. Thank god My jog today seems to have had no il effects.

Bally8 wrote: »
    Dont say that!!! Maybe you dont have it- go to your physio asap. Injuries suck!!

Unfortunately, tWas the Physio who told me :eek:

Ok, went out and ran 4.6 miles, 37:53.

The first half mile was ok, then the right leg began to stiffen up. I could feel the right knee niggling away. It felt like this for a couple of miles. Then I tried to forget about it and it seemed to work. The leg loosened up a bit and I forgot about it, I could feel it on the hill home, but not too bad and I gave a good dash up it. And it feels ok now ........ Fingers crossed....... Oh dear god please let it pass, I can't go back to my pre running fat miserable self, I like oi v. 2.0, marathon

• Advertisement

If it is sore, taking a week off will clear up the injury whereas running on it will just make it worse (sorry to state the obvious). Personally, I never had any pain during the runs but certainly did the next day. This is where stretching comes into it's own (as my Physio explained to me). Chin up but don't be too perturbed if you have to take a week off (this is most likely a way of making myself feel better since I have take3 off recently lol)

7.94, 1:05:04, quick session, 8:12 min miles

right side of knee was niggly but not too bad, touch wood, the marathon dream may be back on, think I'll take a day off tomorrow

Right leg is really stiff this morning, can really feel that it band. Also pain now in ankle area around that big tendon yoke.

Seriosly OI, read what i said two posts up. You can run through an injury but you are just making it worse in the long term. Go see a physio and take a week off if necessary. Being able to run in a month is much more important than missing a few sessions.

I am feeling fine again after 10 days off, I could have kept running on the injury but I am glad now I didn't.

Seriosly OI, read what i said two posts up. You can run through an injury but you are just making it worse in the long term. Go see a physio and take a week off if necessary. Being able to run in a month is much more important than missing a few sessions.

I am feeling fine again after 10 days off, I could have kept running on the injury but I am glad now I didn't.

I think you are right, I think I'll have to take a week off. Maybe go back to Physio and get a foam roller. Thanks for the advice. :)

Ok, suppose I should update this now. I haven't had a run since last Tuesday and it's doing my head in.

So the plan is as follows. Provided I feel ok, I'm gonna do 5 this eve, 8 tomorrow and 5 on Wednesday. Then I'm going to see a Physio on Thursday. Different fella this time, who actually ran dcm last year. He has told me he will let me know the position. I'll make my decision then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Hey OI - i know how you feel. First for me it was my achilles, then my shin and now an ankle niggle. Each time a few days off and my lsrs have been cut right back to 10/11 miles instead of the 15-18 and iv been missing some midweek runs. I have been spinning to keep myself from going crazy!

I have come to the realization that for me DCM is out. Physio has helped somewhat but i think iv pushed myself too hard too quickly. Went out yday and did 10 miles and again today i not 100%. Niggles and shin. Off to the physio tomorrow. I'm gonna stay off the legs and keep them fresh for saturday. I instead am going to focus on halfs for the rest of the year. Dublin on saturday, the gauntlet in november and the waterford half in december hopefully. I have now decided to aim for a marathon next march onwards. I was looking at Paris or might hold off and do connemara or edinburugh.

I hope all goes well and that you get the clear.

Thanks ul, it's a baxtard isn't it after coming this far. Sorry to hear that you have been forced to miss out this time. Yeah, my plan is similar to yours. If dcm is definitely a no go then I will probably be off all running for a few weeks to allow this to heal properly.

Then it will be a case of building up again slowly. My main aim at that stage will be to achieve the title of this thread in Wexford in April. I'm not sure I'll do much racing before then. Then I will continue base building and give dcm '10 a proper go.

Thanks ul, it's a baxtard isn't it after coming this far. Sorry to hear that you have been forced to miss out this time. Yeah, my plan is similar to yours. If dcm is definitely a no go then I will probably be off all running for a few weeks to allow this to heal properly.

Then it will be a case of building up again slowly. My main aim at that stage will be to achieve the title of this thread in Wexford in April. I'm not sure I'll do much racing before then. Then I will continue base building and give dcm '10 a proper go.

If there is a lesson to be learned here it is that our bodies cannot go from zero to loads of training in such a short space of time. My injury happened when coming back from a period of inactivity and jumping straight into the full programme.
    Luckily I seem to have survived it this week. My ankle seems not too bad though it would be a lie to say it is 100% If i can struggle through the next few weeks I would imagine that the taper fortnight would allow my body to recover fully before the big day.

• Advertisement

If there is a lesson to be learned here it is that our bodies cannot go from zero to loads of training in such a short space of time. My injury happened when coming back from a period of inactivity and jumping straight into the full programme.
    Luckily I seem to have survived it this week. My ankle seems not too bad though it would be a lie to say it is 100% If i can struggle through the next few weeks I would imagine that the taper fortnight would allow my body to recover fully before the big day.

aye, marathons are tough going aswell. I think my injury comes from running on the hard shoulder all the time. My right itb was abviously being worked too hard.

Advertisement