Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sub 1:40 half marathon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Wah wah wah, my knee is sore, wah wah wah my legs hurt. By the way did I tell you that I'm a little girl.

Not really, menoscemo can vouch for that, but I've been behaving like one. Moaning here, there and everywhere. Bollicks to that. Ran 5.7 today, 46:15. Felt strong. Leg wasn't too sore when I got back. I coils feel the knee niggling alright but might be ok with plenty of strething and icing. Going to see another Physio on Thursday aswell as mentioned before.

If it doesn't work out, feck it. I gonna do my best to make sure it does. I reckon I'll be ok for Saturday aswell. .............. 5.7

edit: just need to mention in here that I put on a new pair of runners today. Didn't realize I had 450 clocked up on the other pair. Methinks I may have gotten to the source of all my problems.

7.9 tonight, 63:07, 8 min miles bang on. Half marathon pace perhaps?

Right leg fairly stiff and sore right now. Gone back to stretching and I think I'm better for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

That's a hell of a run. Looks like you are back to form.

menoscemo wrote: »
    That's a hell of a run. Looks like you are back to form.

thanks, it took a good bit of effort but I enjoyed it.

I was at physical therapist today, or should I say physic-hell therapist. My god, those guys are sadomasachists. He "worked" on my right glute, calf and it band. The pain was unbelievable or maybe I'm just a little girl. But I was a ball of sweat on the table. Then he took out fire and some sort of crystal balls and started vacuuming my leg with hot crystal bowls. Sorest thing ever.

Now I've got big bruise up right leg, is that normal, but the leg feels great and he was really positive about marathon. Showed me some pretty cool stretches aswell. He was telling me he did the marathon last year in 3:39, but the amount of mileage he said he did was crazy. He was running like at least 60 miles a week, with one week peaking at 67. When I told him how much mileage I did in the last three weeks he said it would be remarkable if I got in under 4 hours but I actually feel good about that now. 1 month to go. He said I could do the half on sat, followed by 1 x 18 and 1 x 20 with a two week taper, I'm not sure he's the marathon expert. I would actually like to do those two long runs but there is pretty strong views against anything other than a three week taper from this very community and the experts alike.

Peace out OI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

Thats great news. Best of luck tomorrow. The forecast is for nice weather.

• Advertisement

Domer wrote: »
    Thats great news. Best of luck tomorrow. The forecast is for nice weather.

Thanks domer, are you running tomorrow?

4.6 lunch time run, ...... 40 mins ...........niggly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Hey OI,

Just been reading the last few pages of your log and I see you are nearly back to full health.

As I type this I sit with an ice pack on my right ITB! It is such an annoying injury but like you I'm starting to manage it a bit better through physio, stretching, anti-inflamms and ice.

I think I remember you posting a while back that you got a bike (could be wrong here) but just so you know I've hit the cycling on the head until after my marathon as it was making the ITBS worse (read this on runnersworld and physio confrimed it).

Best of luck tomorrow!

Hey rigal, yeah it is very annoying and niggly. But as you say it isn't completely debilitating and can be managed. All the same sorry to hear you have the dreaded runners knee aswell.

Yes I bought a bike recently, love it. I didn't know for definite that it could be making things worse although I did read that on t'internet somewhere else but my commute is a 3 mile round trip only so I just kept ploughing on, might give that a rest until after dcm aswell.

I've also read that stretching the itb can make it worse aswell but again others have said it works for them and it certainly seems to be working for me at the moment.

Thanks for the good wishes for tomorrow. I've just arrived in Dublin and already I'm feeling a great buzz from here and getting excited about tomorrow. I'm gonna set out at 8 min miles and see if I can hold it for 13.1 to come in just under 1:45. I would really like a good performance for the confidence boost with 4 weeks to go to dcm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Based on what I've read in your log that'll be no probs to you. If the knee gets very niggly a quick stop"n"stretch usually helps me.

Not long until your taper now so get yourself to that point in one piece and you'll be grand. Mine starts Monday! :D

Wow, what a great day. Arrived in the park at around 8:30. I got a good nights sleep last night so felt fresh. I drove in listening to Simon and garfunkel, and I was very chilled out, unlike my usual wide eyed excitable self.

I had loadsa doubts about today, didn't know what to aim for, what pace to set out at, what endurance levels were like. Those doubts were still there at the start line so I just stood there waiting for the off. I'm usually bouncing on the start line.

B4 hand, I met up with menoscemo, he was in high spirits regardless of the little sleep he got the previous night. We chatted about the race and met Gerard65 who was aiming for my log title, got it too, fair play.

I dropped my free gear bag down to my car and proceeded to the start line. Off we go. My first mile 8:15, mostly due to congestion but I also deliberately held myself back. Then I settled into my pace 7:50 - 8:02. Come miles 6, 7 & 8 I felt great. As meno said it's because they were downhill. Then up the kyber and I still felt strong, passed menoscemo, who asked did I come from behind, I told him I did, and he said he couldn't have that but then told me to go on. I was looking around for him cause he had the same target as I did. I thought we could pace each other home but he shouted to me to go on which I really appreciated at the time.

So bar a blip on the bastard mile 11 a bang on 8 min mile half to finish 1:44:50. Feckin thrilled and a real confidence boost, also 10 mins of my Wexford time I April. Feel really good a out dcm now. I must text my Physio.

Met woddle after and we had a good chat about boards ac. I will run dcm under the boards banner, so woddle, where do I sign. I won't let ye down.

OI

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Congrats again and a pleasure to meet you.
    http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dftkgnn6_7gr4nj9c4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'll pop that into you next week as well woddle. Do you accept cash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

menoscemo wrote: »
    I'll pop that into you next week as well woddle. Do you accept cash?

I do, do you trust me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

That's a great run OI, and a super time, richly deserved for all the effort you've put in.

asimonov wrote: »
    That's a great run OI, and a super time, richly deserved for all the effort you've put in.

Thanks asimonov, it's actually a piece of advice that you gave me that has led to improvements in my recent races. i.e. Run the first mile at or even better, below your planned pace. It takes discipline but it is the clever way to go, without a doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Well done on your race.

ULstudent wrote: »
    Well done on your race.

Thanks UL, as for you, bloody marvellous, I'm a long way of that kind of time but I'll get there. Fair play to ya fella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Cheers OI. I think it was the rest that helped me. I have a hard time letting myself rest but i made myself do it.

I'm having a serious re think of Dublin now. Ill decide next weekend and see after an lsr.

Might be no harm starting a log here.

ULstudent wrote: »
    Cheers OI. I think it was the rest that helped me. I have a hard time letting myself rest but i made myself do it.

I'm having a serious re think of Dublin now. Ill decide next weekend and see after an lsr.

Might be no harm starting a log here.

yeah, I feel much better about dcm now, so hopefully I'll stay injury free and give it a good belt. You know yourself.

As for the log thing, I'd be lost without mine. It's such a good motivational tool, and recently I could add up how many miles were on my last pair of runners so you do look at the history quite a bit. I must copy and paste mine into non web based format.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done OI. Great result and off an injury too! Im about to head out for my first lsr since my injury. Fingers crossed and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Some serious improvement from you OI thanks to all the miles you ve done! fair play

Thanks bally8 and kennyb3, i'm still on a high.

That's me in front 7766, I'm ruddy winning, cheers krusty

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37099457@N04/3956470715/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Congrats on the great time! I knocked over 10 minutes off my Wexford time too :) Fantastic day for it yesterday...

Good run OI.. particularly coming off injury.

4 weeks to the big one... actually 4 weeks and 4 minutes!!!

I did run Saturday. 1:44:30. Found the last few miles tough, but got there.

Domer

Good run OI.. particularly coming off injury.

4 weeks to the big one... actually 4 weeks and 4 minutes!!!

I did run Saturday. 1:44:30. Found the last few miles tough, but got there.

Domer

Cheers Domer, same as that

Great time, I was just behind you it seems, are you doing the full marathon aswell?

I am indeed. Number 8958!!!

It will be my second marathon. Ran 3:42 in 2006. but not in as good shape this year. Still to decide on race strategy. 8:30 pace may be ideal, but need to see how training goes for the next 2 weeks.

Domer

I am indeed. Number 8958!!!

It will be my second marathon. Ran 3:42 in 2006. but not in as good shape this year. Still to decide on race strategy. 8:30 pace may be ideal, but need to see how training goes for the next 2 weeks.

Domer

as tempting as it would be to head out 8:30 pace, that could be hari Kari for me, I'm gonna go out 9 pace and see how it goes. It's my first marathon so don't know how I'm gonna react to the distance. I suffered with legs on previous lsr's, though usually on the back of a hard run the previous day.

Anyway, back to the bread and butter stuff this evening. 5.12 very chilled out miles 46:36 or that. Right ankle a bit twingy heading out but that resolved itself. But, could really feel the right itb on the hill today, got in, iced it, stretched it and now lying on the bed.
    If I successfully negotiate the 20 mier at the weekend, I will gladl enter taper mode and visit physio as often as is necessary to see me through. Rest day again tomorrow.

In other news, I got owned in a bicycle commuter race on the way home today. Ragin', went up on footpath to pass this fella out and as soon as I jumped off the footpath again he went round the outside of me and left me for dust. Lesson learned, pedaled home red faced, tomorrow is another day, I'll make sure my chosen competition is on a high nelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Wilbury

That is lovely running O.I. Isn't it a great feeling when a plan starts coming together after all the hard work and setbacks. Kinda makes it all worthwhile.

Wilbury wrote: »
    That is lovely running O.I. Isn't it a great feeling when a plan starts coming together after all the hard work and setbacks. Kinda makes it all worthwhile.

Thanks Wilbury. Yeah it felt great on Saturday and the training really is paying off. It was great to still feel strong in the later stages. But, must not get too complacent, still plenty of work to be done over the next few weeks.

How is your training going? What are you up to on your lsr's and are you happy enough with how things are going. Is this your first marathon. You might get a log going yourself sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Wilbury

How is your training going? What are you up to on your lsr's and are you happy enough with how things are going. Is this your first marathon. You might get a log going yourself sometime.

I did my first in 97 and then got lazy and came back to it in 07 and 08. Training went much better this year since I discovered this forum. Honestly, I probably would have quit were it not for the logs on here. The memories you will have on this day four weeks will stay with you forever, though you will probably spend a week avoiding the stairs it will be worth it!!!

Advertisement