Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sub 1:40 half marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

In other news, I got owned in a bicycle commuter race on the way home today. Ragin', went up on footpath to pass this fella out and as soon as I jumped off the footpath again he went round the outside of me and left me for dust. .
    :eek:
    Passing someone by going onto the footpath!! I think that automatically disqualifies you from the commuter race.

Anyway i've been following your log because we're at about the same level. Good stuff on saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

nomadic wrote: »
    :eek:
    Passing someone by going onto the footpath!! I think that automatically disqualifies you from the commuter race.

Anyway i've been following your log because we're at about the same level. Good stuff on saturday.

thanks nomadic, I know you should use the footpath as a cyclist but it was completely devoid of pedestrians as far as the eye could see and it was just to get past him. anyway dq'd it is.

10 miles today, 84:20, av hr 164, heavy run. I felt like I was carrying my right leg around with me, itb kicked up on hill on miles 3-4 but then settled down again until I got home. Was very sore when I got home though.

Think I may be able to manage it until the big day however. 5 tomorrow, then maybe call the Physio again and 20 on Sunday after 2 days rest, then count the days. Was kept going today at the revalation by asimonov that the Danish for pacesetter is fartholder, brilliant, that craps all over the term fartlek and conjures up all sorts of imagry.

Come on Wolfsburg!!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭TJC

thanks nomadic, I know you should use the footpath as a cyclist but it was completely devoid of pedestrians as far as the eye could see and it was just to get past him. anyway dq'd it is.

10 miles today, 84:20, av hr 164, heavy run. I felt like I was carrying my right leg around with me, itb kicked up on hill on miles 3-4 but then settled down again until I got home. Was very sore when I got home though.

Think I may be able to manage it until the big day however. 5 tomorrow, then maybe call the Physio again and 20 on Sunday after 2 days rest, then count the days. Was kept going today at the revalation by asimonov that the Danish for pacesetter is fartholder, brilliant, that craps all over the term fartlek and conjures up all sorts of imagry.

Come on Wolfsburg!![/quote]

1. Is That true??

2. Let downs!!

1. Yes it's true, upon further research, fart is the Danish word for pace/speed, apparently there are speed checks on the motorways in Denmark which are sign posted 'fart control', there may be more equally hilarious examples, the Danes seem intent on keeping a lid on flatulence, that much is clear

2. Gah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

I was told that the German word for nipple translates to 'breast wart' in English. I don't care if its not true......it is!

• Advertisement

I was told that the German word for nipple translates to 'breast wart' in English. I don't care if its not true......it is!

If it's funny, it's true

Went for a lunch time run today. 4.6 miles. 39:23. Really surprised when I got home, did the math and got 8:36 miles. Cause at times it felt like walking.

Legs felt really heavy and itb was sore, for the first two miles anyway and then it chilled out a bit. But the legs still felt really heavy and tired and so did I. Im not worried about todays run though. I've asked a lot from my legs over the last 6 days, gonna give them two days off now and ask another 20 of them on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

The race last saturday could be still in your legs. If you have access to get a good deep sports massage, that may help revitalise your body.

Good luck on Sunday. I am doing my 20 on Saturday.... then bring on the taper!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

nervous myself about the 20 miler. i am doing it this evening....My physio also recommended a Sports massage, I will be hoping to get one in the run up to the Big one..

@ meno and domer

best of luck with the 20 milers guys, gonna try and do it at mp, any slower is just too long, so 9 min miles / 3 hours.

Believe it or not I have booked in for a sports massage for after the 20 miler, did so a couple of weeks ago. Just to let you know, I'm having second thoughts about the pacer thing, if I'm ok after Sunday I'm thinking of splitting the difference and going out on the day at 8:45 pace, we'll see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Looks like everyone's going out for 20 miles this weekend, including me and the mrs. Best of luck to all of you. Feeling good about it myself, if not a little apprehensive....

Looks like everyone's going out for 20 miles this weekend, including me and the mrs. Best of luck to all of you. Feeling good about it myself, if not a little apprehensive....

I feel good about it too, best of luck to you guys aswell, fantastic that you and the missus are doing this together :D:D

... I use the 20 miler to get away from the missus and the kids!!!! Its my form of escapasm!!!!

Good luck on the 20 this weekend.

Went out to do 20, pulled up after 6 and walked 2 miles home. ITB was more painful than it ever has been.

I'm not quite sure what to do now. I've been icing and streching the poo out of it, and used various forms of anti inflammatories.

I've had some brilliant support from here and I really appreciate that and I've taken on board your comments, believe me.

So I could go back to Physio tomorrow with a view to doing 20 on Wednesday and in the mean time order a foam roller (that's the one thing I haven't been doing).

Or, leave it, rest up for a few weeks and build up again with a view to next years race. It's decision time really.

Jesus OI that's bad. I don't know what advice to give you but I just think with all the training you have done, you would be mad to pull out of the marathon based on missing one long run...given your half time from a week ago and the training done you really should be fit for a 3:45 marathon, but since you (wisely) plan on joining the sub 4hr pacer group it should really be no bother to you despite missing this run. That's if you're fit of course. So get the injury seen to first and foremost, everything else is minor stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Sorry to hear that OI. I was complaining of very bad ITB pain 4/5 weeks ago and went to the physio. turns out one leg was slightly shorter than the other, one arch was flat and i pronated inwards on one foot. Easily remedied with 30e sports orthotics from boots and stretch the itb and doing side kicks. go to the physio but DO NOT drop out because of 1 missed run. you could do the marathon already based on the training you have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Sorry to hear that OI, hope itb feels better with physio, don't drop out just yet. You've done so much hard work to date, hang on for a bit longer before making the final decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

If your ITB is causing problems, it's the wrong time to be trying to do 20 mile runs at PMP. In fact if you look at your last few runs, every time you go faster than pmp, you're hitting ITB problems. You should probably be running easy at this stage, instead of pushing the pace. 1st priority - make it to the start line. Second priority, make it to the finish line.

I would hold off making any decision about whether you're going to run or not for at least another week. If you don't make this 20 mile run, it doesn't mean you're ruled out altogether, it just means that you might find it a little tougher on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Went out to do 20, pulled up after 6 and walked 2 miles home. ITB was more painful than it ever has been.

That's a pity... Was going to give you a shout this weekend but saw you were planning 9 min miles which is way too fast for me on that long an LSR... Anyways, as Krusty says, just because you didn't make 20 doesn't mean you're out of it... You're in taper time now, look after yourself for the next few weeks and hopefully you'll be able to give it a go on the day. Worst thing that happens is you realise you're not able for it, and you head to the pub before us :D

Thanks guys for all the support, I really appreciate it.

I totally see where you are all coming from in so far as I've put in a lot of miles and it would be a shame not to get to the start line and I agree 100%. it's just that I don't want to do it like this - managing a problem to get to the start line and then still not knowing whether i'm gonna finish or not. I have a funny feeling this can be cleared up with rest and rebuilding and I can give it another crack next year, be it cork, Dublin or somewhere in Europe.

It's been in my mind to do a marathon for years, but my goal was sub4 or better. I used to plod out 20 mins on the treadmill at 10kph, knowing I would have to go at 11 kph but for 4 hours. It's crazy to think I can do a half now at 12.5 kph. I've come a long way and I'm very close. I don't want to just finish, that just not my personal goal, I want to do a marathon in less than 4 hours. So, I don't want to be at the start line thinking I'm gonna struggle to get through this for the sake of finishing a marathon.

There are lots more marathons to come, so I can consolidate my recent gains in fitness, granted probably lose a couple of weeks and build a better base for next year.

In terms of lsr's, this is the third I've missed, in fact the longest run I have done is 17.6 and that was September 4, so my endurance is not what it could be. Maybe I can still go under 4 but I would need to be running regularly, if not long for next three weeks and I'm not sure the leg is up to that even.

Maybe 20 at mp was a bit ambitious today but I ran 13 at 8 min miles last week and didn't feel anything like I did today, but that was on the back of Physio so maybe that's the way to go. Also pmp is 9 min miles and I'm running them now with a good perceived effort and hr is steady at around 153 so anything slower feels like unnecessary plodding.

I'm actually off Wednesday so I would like to try a lsr again that morning. Maybe not 20 but possibly 18 or that. I'm off to the pt either tomorrow or Tuesday whenever I can get an appointment and he might be able to get me right for the lsr and the marathon. If I struggle on Wednesday with the run, I'll call it a day. Then it will be Wexford for my sub 1:40 half.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I picked up my ITB problem in Longford at approx 18-20 miles, it was horrible and I would hate to do a marathon with the will it or won't it go hanging over me. You also don't want to add to the damage and end up having a lenghty lay off, so like Krusty said lsrs are not the way to go till the problem is gone.

Woddle wrote: »
    I picked up my ITB problem in Longford at approx 18-20 miles, it was horrible and I would hate to do a marathon with the will it or won't it go hanging over me. You also don't want to add to the damage and end up having a lenghty lay off, so like Krusty said lsrs are not the way to go till the problem is gone.

this is exactly how I feel, thanks Woddle

Thats not good news OI. Get to the PT and get it assessed before making a decision. As you said, there are lots more marathons. You dont want to do any serious damage that could knock you out for a few months.

Good luck over the next few weeks. I really hope you get to the start line... and finish line!!

Domer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

God OI Im heartbroken for you. I really hope you get it sorted in time. You HAVE to be there!!

I think if you can get the injury to clear up, you will be fine in terms of endurance. I mean just last weekend you ran the half marathon 3 and a half minutes faster than me. You had negative splits and i blew up at the end and got two stitches...Now i got my 20 mile done and you got an injury, that doesn't mean that I now, by the grace of one LSR, have better endurance than you!!! I don't know about yourself but I am not sure i plan on doing another marathon anytime soon..I would hate to have done all this training and then not get to the line on the day....i think after this i will stick to the shorter stuff as I seem to run comparatively better times over shorter distances...I think If you can make it to the start line there is no doubt you can follow the 4hr pace group, in all honesty it is a very conservative goal time for you and I think there is no doubt you could run it tomorrow if you werent injured. If I can do it, so can you!!!

Anyway good luck with the physio and I really hope to see you on the day. I Know how passionate you are about running this marathon and I'm sure you will make the right decision. Personally I would ditch any thoughts of running that 20mile LSR if i were you though. Runing injured is not a good idea,I am sure given good physio and 3 weeks Rand R you will be raring to go.

thanks again guys, I really appreciate it.

I woke up this morning and I was ready to throw in the towel. I love running but I'm beginning to not enjoy it. Its becoming a chore and I don't want to learn to hate it by foolishly seeing through this marathon.

But....... having read through the posts again here and some other forums on runners world, I've been reinvigourated with a new steely determination.

I am going to adopt a new 7 pronged approach to this marathon as follows:
    1. I am purchasing a foam roller from a physio in town here this evening, i intend to use this as often as I can tolerate it
    2. I am going to begin a course of Glucosamine and Fish Oils, apparently brilliant
    3. I am going to the physio on Wednesday morning - 9:30
    4. I am going to stretch and Ice the sh!t out of it
    5. I am going to try to strengthen the leg with some exercises
    6. I will try taking some anti inflammatories for the longer runs and the marathon
    7. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!
    I may not make it, but by jaysus, I'm gonna give it my best shot.

:mad::mad::mad: (mad in an actively determined kind of way like an action hero - GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!)

I love running but I'm beginning to not enjoy it. Its becoming a chore and I don't want to learn to hate it by foolishly seeing through this marathon.

I have never actually enjoyed the running part. I only love running after I have done it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Thats the spirit. Good on ya.

That's it for me folks. In the words of Duncan Balantine (of dragons den fame), "aam oot". My legs and heart are just not in it anymore.

I went to the Physio this morning and he did a great job getting me back on the road again, I've also had two days rest. But I could only manage 12.5 of the 20 I was aiming for. My legs just don't have it in them anymore.

My IT leg wasn't sore after the Physio but it felt heavy, like I was dragging it behind me, my other leg is compensation big time and is picking up niggles behind the knee. The whole run was a struggle from start to finish and evetually my legs just gave in.

If I continue, I feel like I might hurt myself in another area so the sensible thing is to knock it on the head. I've given it everything and I'm really sorry if I have disappointed anyone. I feel like I've let some people down particularly in the mentored group. Why would one get so attached to an Internet forum, it's downright bizarre.

The best of luck to everyone doing dcm for the first time, I know how hard it is and what a massive achievement it will be. I'm taking 4 weeks off and then I'm launching a full assault on a sub 140 half marathon.

I will be keeping an eye on everyones progress and I look forward to reading everyones race reports from the day and I will probably shed a tear wondering what could have been and I will be absolutely green with envy. Good luck. OI

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Don't be silly, you didn't disappoint anyone, I'm sorry for you but I reckon your making the correct and brave decision. Best of luck with your next goal, maybe the Waterford half in December, there's going to be a few of us at this.

Advertisement