Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sub 1:40 half marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

Very sorry to hear that OI, but better to not do any serious damage running 26 miles. Good luck with your new goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

In the same boat myself. not as disappointed as you tho, im more than happy to wait until i can do myself justice. dont want to do it and risk never wanting to do another again.

sorry to hear of your troubles, but enjoy the shorter stuff, i know i will. once you get your legs right, build up a base mileage slowly and then get back to the level of miles or just shy you were at for teh marathon training. thats why you ve improved so much so far. dont go easy on yourself now (injury, rest and all that exluded - be sensible but not soft)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

That's it for me folks. In the words of Duncan Balantine (of dragons den fame), "aam oot". My legs and heart are just not in it anymore.

I went to the Physio this morning and he did a great job getting me back on the road again, I've also had two days rest. But I could only manage 12.5 of the 20 I was aiming for. My legs just don't have it in them anymore.

My IT leg wasn't sore after the Physio but it felt heavy, like I was dragging it behind me, my other leg is compensation big time and is picking up niggles behind the knee. The whole run was a struggle from start to finish and evetually my legs just gave in.

If I continue, I feel like I might hurt myself in another area so the sensible thing is to knock it on the head. I've given it everything and I'm really sorry if I have disappointed anyone. I feel like I've let some people down particularly in the mentored group. Why would one get so attached to an Internet forum, it's downright bizarre.

The best of luck to everyone doing dcm for the first time, I know how hard it is and what a massive achievement it will be. I'm taking 4 weeks off and then I'm launching a full assault on a sub 140 half marathon.

I will be keeping an eye on everyones progress and I look forward to reading everyones race reports from the day and I will probably shed a tear wondering what could have been and I will be absolutely green with envy. Good luck. OI
    Sorry to hear it ,but its the correct call if your body isnt upto it right now, Have a little break and set yourself some medium term plans, there is more to running then marathons :) . Lots of 5k -half marathons around the country during the winter too

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

You haven't let anyone down and well done on making a brave, brave decision. Was looking forward to meeting you on the day but not if that involved wondering who that strange man curled up in a ball in agony was at the 18 Mile marker or paying a visit to the First Aid tent.

(That said, if you do get a last minute reprieve....)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Tough break OI :(.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Brave decision OI, I know how much this meant to you. I was looking forward to having a few pints with you after Dublin. Maybe see you down in Waterford for the half in december, I am thinking that 1.48 didn't do me justice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

OI, fair play to you for making what must have been a very hard decision. Good luck with the new goal, I reckon you'll have no problem considering all the hard work you've already put in. (If there was a hug smiley, I'd add it now...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Feel really bad for you OI, must have been an awful tough decision

But like mentioned elsewhere, why not set your sights on Waterford Half on 12th December?
    Still a full 9 1/2 weeks away

I'm gonna be there dying a death around about mile 10 / 11 I reckon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

God OI dont even think for one second you have let anyone down. Well done on making a very wise decision. Its a pity you cant make it but totally not the end of the world. Best of luck with your recovery x

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Wilbury

Let people down..... No way, quite the opposite as your log and posts have been an inspiration to us all!!! Really tough luck O.I. and I genuinely hope that you have the best of luck in you future challenges.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

that's sh1t OI, on the bright side - it'll give you an opportunity to take the pressure off, enjoy some regular life (just not too much) and come back with a real appetite for training again.

You've proven with your training and races you are a good runner. It might do you good to concentrate on the 10K, 10m and half marathons for a year and then have a good go at a marathon. With the shorter races, you have the same intensity of training, your long runs aren't as long and disruptive, and you'll be able to race more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Jaysus lads, I never expected that kind of response, thanks to everyone for their really supportive words. I've said it before and I'll say it again - a/r/t rocks!!

When I say I felt I left people down, it's more the case that I was looking forward to the day so much. The mentored thread has been great and I really wanted to meet everybody. We've been following and supporting each others progress since May really. Everyone has overcome obstacles, from extreme climate conditions on the other side of the world to personal and injury problems and it's been inspirational to follow and be a part of. Also the fact that boards were providing the pacers this year would have made it more special. Everything is set, including the après marathon pints. It's just disappointing and it was a tough decision.

Ok, some really brilliant stuff said there by you guys. To use another Duncan balantine phrase, "let me tell you where I'm at". As was said above I'm gonna concentrate on smaller stuff for 2010 in it's entirety, build a good base and tackle a marathon programme again in 2011, I will run a marathon in this lifetime.

Re: Waterford, would love to do it, I'm from there originally, but I'm giving up running cometely for 4 weeks to allow the itb to heal properly which only gives me 5 weeks to prepare having lost fitness so I don't think it will happen. I will be looking at races into the first quarter 2010. Thanks again, I really appreciate it and look forward to reading all of the race reports. This a/r/t does funny things to ya. I'll be over the disappointment quickly, now if I can just stop real life people saying "what, after all your hard work?" etc. They are only being nice, I know.

Go allstars ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Tough break dude. Unfortunately life throws these things at us but they're what makes us stronger. I know you've enjoyed doing this training and being part of A/R/T, the important thing now is to get over the injury and get back into it all again. You've provided great support for everyone on this forum so far and hopefully you'll keep pushing us on to the finish line on the 26th :) In a few months we'll have to get together for a run in Wexford some weekend too!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sorry to hear you're out OI, enjoy the rest and recuperation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Ouch, just found out now that you've called it a day. I knew it was tough but I didn't realise it was that bad/

I am absolutely gutted for you. Especially after the sheer amount of guts and determination you have poured into it - you really have won your heart on your sleeve through this and we've all gone through it with you.

You will be back. You're too tough and too determined not to. And if it's not too painful I am sure that HW would appreciate an extra pair of hands on the day. Though if it was me I'd be several hundred miles away with a pint in my hand. Or two pints... Wait, you can drink pints now! See, a silver lining!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sorry to hear man, but better to make a tough decision now than to be left rehabbing an injury for months. I'm sure you'll do brilliant next year after you've recovered properly, and I really hope you obliterate that sub 1:40 half! ;)

*pours out a drink for our fallen comrade*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Bad luck OI - really disappointed for you. I'm expecting to see you come back faster and stronger very soon though :)...

thanks again everyone, it's not the end of the world, best of luck to everyone with DCM and the 'Dam, I'll be back ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Really sorry to hear that OI.
    Rest up and get back on the road soon. No doubt whatsoever that you will beat the 1:40 half and there are 100s of marathons whereas you only have one set of knees so better to get it looked after no. With your attitude you will be back smashing again in no time.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

OI, I mustve had my head in a fog, cos Ive only just heard that you are out. Im gutted for you. You were so encouraging to me when I went through a low phase a while ago. Your attitude is brilliant though, you are not settling for half measures. Sub 4 or nothing. Thats the spirit. The hardest thing with this lark is knowing when to stop. You do, and I know with your attitude youll get what you want next year.

I look forward to hearing about your plans for next year. Better, harder, faster, stronger in 2010.:)

Good luck xx

• Advertisement

Thanks again lads, fantastic messages of support, I'm grand about it honest.

Just go and do me proud on the 26th

Been stretching the bejaysus out of my ITB, also been on the foam roller a bit and doing some improvised leg strengthening moves, I.e I don't have any weights so been squatting and lunging without weights. also been doing side kicks and other weird yokes.

Anyway the problem with going from loadsa running to zero running is you can't actually do it. So I went out on Monday to see if I felt better, got 3.3 in but wasn't great, a bit sore, got home rolled about on the floor with a piece of foam, threw all sorts of shapes stretching in the landing and took the next day off. So today I spent ages stretching again, all the muskels, and tried again, 4.7 miles and less pain than last time until I got to the end of the run.

Long story short, I think ITB is reponding well to treatment and I may still have a career in running. :)

Nice to see you're back at it. What are you short to medium term goals?
    I am already trying to think of what I will do after the marathon. Don't want to give up the running because with my diet I would be a blimp in a few months :pac: but would like to target a half marathon and some short races next year. I recon I will be have your log title as my goal next year.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Nice to see you're back at it. What are you short to medium term goals?
    I am already trying to think of what I will do after the marathon. Don't want to give up the running because with my diet I would be a blimp in a few months :pac: but would like to target a half marathon and some short races next year. I recon I will be have your log title as my goal next year.

hey there menoscemo,

in fairness you put in a great half marathon time in the park, but imagine you had a full nights sleep and didn't have to travel in the morning and you had a proper breakfast, I'd say you could knock a good few minutes off that time.

I might consider doing Waterford now and I really want to go sub 140 in Wexford next April, if it's the same as last year so that's my A goal. Only problem is I am completing my degree this year so I will have a lot of study to do, not easy to fit it all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Long story short, I think ITB is reponding well to treatment and I may still have a career in running. :)
    Great news OI. Keep up the good slow work. Remember, you can't hurry recovery.

Great news OI. Keep up the good slow work. Remember, you can't hurry recovery.

Thanks kc, yeah I'm thinking 3 - 5 miles every second day with leg / core strengthening and stretching every other day. I want to get a really good base behind me this time.

hey there menoscemo,

in fairness you put in a great half marathon time in the park, but imagine you had a full nights sleep and didn't have to travel in the morning and you had a proper breakfast, I'd say you could knock a good few minutes off that time.

I might consider doing Waterford now and I really want to go sub 140 in Wexford next April, if it's the same as last year so that's my A goal. Only problem is I am completing my degree this year so I will have a lot of study to do, not easy to fit it all in.

Wexford in April sounds like it might be a goer, not sure about waterford now myself, it is a bit soon after the marathon but for April I could get some good training in. Hmmm

8 miles tonight in 67:40, little discomfort, my legs seem to have made a recovery of Lazarus like proportions, thoughts of dcm are creeping back in, I just haven't been able to let it go mentally, fluck the time, I have to at least give it a go or I think I'll regret it forever, it's now or never, other people are doing this with less training than me, what fluckin roller coaster

8 miles tonight in 67:40, little discomfort, my legs seem to have made a recovery of Lazarus like proportions, thoughts of dcm are creeping back in, I just haven't been able to let it go mentally, fluck the time, I have to at least give it a go or I think I'll regret it forever, it's now or never, other people are doing this with less training than me, what fluckin roller coaster

lol i did'nt think it would be the last we'd hear from you about the marathon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Wilbury

I like what I'm reading O.I. Take your time on a decision!

Advertisement