Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post postage rates

Options
  • 24-04-2009 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭

I went in to the GPO at lunch to send a Ps3 game to someone I sold to on adverts. I handed it in and he said '2.70' and I queried it and he said that was the rate and handed me a 'guide to postal rates brochure.' I paid the price and decided to query it and went to the information desk and was told that the 'large envelope' rate was for flat items only. I said this was the rate I have been given in the past for games and she said it couldn't be.

I'm now back at my desk and I checked the guide more thoroughly and there is a description page which denotes a large envelope having max dimensions of 400mm length, 300mm width and depth of 25mm all of which are greater than the dimensions of my packet. I didn't have any bubblewrap or such inside it either. Just to let you know and be warned. I rang customer services but I have no receipt or anything so will put it down to a lesson learned :o

(I know I shouldn't have paid the price without reading the guide but was in a hurry)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

This happens quite a lot - staff aren't trained in sizes.

Standard envelope is 5mm and they seem to think this applies to large envelope too.

Next time just tell them that large envelopes can be up to one inch thick according to their rules and that the item you are sending is less than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

darc wrote: »
    This happens quite a lot - staff aren't trained in sizes.

Standard envelope is 5mm and they seem to think this applies to large envelope too.

Next time just tell them that large envelopes can be up to one inch thick according to their rules and that the item you are sending is less than that.

for sure I will, and the woman at the info desk will be informed also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 springo

Once tried to post a box to Denmark (the second from largest size in easons, but is still actually classified as a packet not parcel) and was told it would be the parcel rate which is about three times the price.

Ended up refusing this and taking the box home. Took down exact measurements (9cm under allowance) and got the box sent at the cheaper rate.

This isn't the first time it's happened either......I recommend measuring everything up before sending if you think there could be some doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Its not just the dimensions, the weight is also a big factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I was charged the packet weight rather than the large envelope weight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

sorry sweetie was replying to springo, in your case you should have been charged the large envelope rate.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

It's not all bad - it only costs a tenner to post a golf club...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭championc

Sounds like the best solution is to buy stamps and bung it in a postbox. Souldn't be a problem for items like DVD box sizes or packets up to A4 size

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Bluebirdstudios

I find that most off the time its the weight that really matters when posting packages and like other posters have said my experience has been mixed with different staff even in the same PO. I know that sucked a bit your experience but try use the other couriers out there and you'll feel a good bit better when they give you their prices !!
    Cheers
    -Dec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

like other posters have said my experience has been mixed with different staff even in the same PO.

me too, one particular member of staff in mine post office charges standard dvds/games as a packet, and all the rest charge for a large envelope. I have had to let someone go ahead of me before rather than be served by him and get ripped off

• Advertisement
Advertisement