Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone deliver shopping up north to Galway?

Options
  • 24-04-2009 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭

I see smartsavers only deliver to dublin and surrounding counties
    the same applies to recessionbustours

I rang smartsavers and asked if they would soon be delivering
    to galway and surrounding counties and they said there hadnt
    been any interest thus far and that i was the first to ring them
    from galway.

http://smartsavers.ie/contact.html
    www.recessionbustours.ie

I want my shopping delivered to the door and Im sure there's
    lots more who want this service
    Email them, ring them
    We might be able to get something going here if there's enough interest
    As mentioned by someone else "It might provide a business idea for someone already living in Galway too".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

There was a thread in bargain alerts (under Biz at the top) about having a courier pick up goods for you. Worth mentioning if you really want something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭scottledeuce

My Parents live near Enniskillen and I usually do an alcohol and Canned food shop every few weeks...If there was interest I'd nearly take a shopping list.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I'll do it for €1,000 a trip.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

galwayrush wrote: »
    I'll do it for €1,000 a trip.;)

You're too kind

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you really need the stuff, do the drive? It's not that far, well about 3 hours.
    Or get that border bus.

• Advertisement

Magnus wrote: »
    If you really need the stuff, do the drive? It's not that far, well about 3 hours.
    Or get that border bus.

6 hours on the road is a lot in one day
    did it in dec and it nearly killed me
    my problem is that i work late
    and getting up early means very little sleep
    It's to my door or nothing tho ill still make the
    trip 3/4 times a year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

My Parents live near Enniskillen and I usually do an alcohol and Canned food shop every few weeks...If there was interest I'd nearly take a shopping list.

I don't think that you even have to take a shopping list. One of the services that the OP mentioned allows you to do your own shopping online with tesco.com (the online uk store rather than the Irish one) and have groceries delivered to the address of their warehouse in the north. Then the company deliver your order down to the Republic to you for €20.If you had an address you could use in the North for this you could have the grocery shopping done for you and delivered there and then you could bring it down in a van once a week or something. You could the same with Argos in the North who sell online and are much more competitive than their Republic branches.

You'd make money if you even got 5 interested people per week. I'd have thought it'd be likely to be an operation plagued with hassles like people complaining about not getting everything they ordered etc but it seems to be working out for the Dublin businesses doing it.

EDIT: I'm not nominating you for this task btw incase it sounded like that. I'm sure your parents would love it though if you took to using their address :D

You would hope smartsavers or recessionbustours or
    somebody else will hopefully do a couple of runs a week
    and take it from there.
    While theyre up and running they should act now before
    someone else does.
    I hope a few people from the county start something soon
    and make a decent living out of it.
    Surely sooner rather than later given how many have
    lost jobs.

True, it'd be very very handy indeed to get it delivered.
    We always go to Belfast so I like to make a weekend out of it, drive up on the Saturday and do the shopping, go out that night. Sunday get the last stuff and head home. Good excuse to get out of Galway for a night too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 callagh

Hey Mailburner,

I know a company based in Galway that do deliveries from the North, don't know their position with delivering groceries, beacuse I just bought large kitchen applicances from them.

But sure contacting them wouldn't do any harm.

They have a website, www.borderbargains.ie

Callagh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭dougie ward

i am off to dundalk in 2 weeks,heading over to newry,would be happy to pick up stuff for anyone if my petrol money was covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cowlove

Hi Dougie,

I would be really interested in you bringing me stuff back from the North. I am planning to have a bbq soon so want to get beers and spirits and some electrical goods I have seen cheaper in the north.

I have pm'd you!

thanks cowlove i got that pm,i will call you later this eve!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭celtictiger

I'm taking names. Been thinking of doing something like this for awhile now but wasn't sure if there would be a market for it. I spoke to a few people who would like their shopping delivered to them from the north and the response has been positive so far. I still require a few more people to commit and I will do a weekly run - maybe even twice weekly if demand is high. I'm thinking 15-20 euros per delivery. PM me to register your interest.

i have had a great response also, i am based in galway but from dundalk so i have a mate who drops a lot of purchases to mullingar, with the bbq season upon us i can arrange great bargains on booze and anything else that the major retail outlets in the north have to offer!

pm if interested! competitive rates!

p.s. the celtic tiger is dead! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I'm taking names. Been thinking of doing something like this for awhile now but wasn't sure if there would be a market for it. I spoke to a few people who would like their shopping delivered to them from the north and the response has been positive so far. I still require a few more people to commit and I will do a weekly run - maybe even twice weekly if demand is high. I'm thinking 15-20 euros per delivery. PM me to register your interest.

Put a notice up on the noticeboards in Tesco :D

I don't do enough shopping to justify it, if you can target young families somehow the interest is there

snubbleste wrote: »
    Put a notice up on the noticeboards in Tesco :D
    lol - I bet they'd love that :)

Your right about the young family thing - nappies are scandolous down here. Noticed two jumbo boxes of pampers for £20 in Asda - buying them down here would make your eyes water :eek:

Still PM when you do need something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Sounds good lads, we could definitely do with a service like this in Galway!

One thing though - now perhaps I'm being overly cynical but how do we know we're not going to either pay you for goods in advance, or else order goods online and pre-pay for them and never see you or any sign of our goods again?!

I don't think too many people will be too trusting of new-ish posters and send them off with wads of cash to do their shopping for them!

How exactly is this gonna work?

I pay for the groceries and then receive payment on delivery - No risk to you. Hope this helps :)

I feel bad for banning this guy now (had similar post here) since everyone else is doing the same thing.

Until I get told off by my superiors , feel free to post anything here to do with NI shopping.
    There's also http://borderbus.net/ but then you have to travel yourself.

Remember to deal safely, boards will not take any responsibility if you're scammed - we do not vouch for anyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Magnus wrote: »
    I feel bad for banning this guy now (had similar post here) since everyone else is doing the same thing.

Until I get told off by my superiors , feel free to post anything here to do with NI shopping.
    There's also http://borderbus.net/ but then you have to travel yourself.

Remember to deal safely, boards will not take any responsibility if you're scammed - we do not vouch for anyone!

Actually I was in touch with the guy you banned. Seems like a decent type (now do you feel worse:D)

Anyway, he gave me a good quote to deliver two couches Belfast to Galway. It'll be a month or two until I use him and if it's ok (boards rules etc.) I'll post how I got on using him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Tesco?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

dunnes should do it,
    seeing as they source all of there store supplies from there nothern warehouse, they make me laugh! when they print on your receipt how many irish purchases you have made.
    then they have a handful of stores in england and spain..
    i run a small catering business, and i get my bread from dunnes, i was told when i first started by the manager i have too be at dunnes at 10pm, as thats when the lorry comes in from the northern run,
    they should do a shopping service as well!! lol ( can see that happening not!)
    just have too see what ikea come up with for paddy prices that will give me something else too moan about lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I pay for the groceries and then receive payment on delivery - No risk to you. Hope this helps :)
    i have had a great response also, i am based in galway but from dundalk so i have a mate who drops a lot of purchases to mullingar, with the bbq season upon us i can arrange great bargains on booze and anything else that the major retail outlets in the north have to offer!

pm if interested! competitive rates!

p.s. the celtic tiger is dead! :D

Great to see there's a few people with the initiative to offer a service like this. If either of you really want to do it you should set up a web site. You might get more interest that way.

Also if you had an address you could be at on a particular day in the North you could really use online shopping to your advantage. You could ask people in Galway who want groceries to buy them online on www.tesco.com and have everyone chose the same delivery slot on the same date. Then theoretically when the tesco delivery man arrives you could just unload groceries from their van into your own van. It could save alot of time going around doing loads of grocery shopping .It would also save having to exchange large sums of cash with a consumer. It could protect you and them. Just a thought!

Also,there have been so many complaints about the crazy sterling conversion rates charged by M&S in the republic. You could allow Galway customers to buy online in M&S and have the stuff delivered for collection to one of their stores in the North.Then you could collect it all together and bring it down. It seems like there's savings of €20 on nearly every item of clothing if you're buying in sterling. I think that would be a popular and easy to manage service too.

Good luck with anyway. I'll give you a try sometime!

chilly wrote: »
    Great to see there's a few people with the initiative to offer a service like this. If either of you really want to do it you should set up a web site. You might get more interest that way.
    A website will be available soon :) Thanks for the words of encouragement.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭redmissb

I've been lurking here for a while but decided to sign up so I could register my interest in this! I've been on to Niall at recessionbustours.ie too to see if there's any chance they would be extending the service to Galway. If you get this set up I'll definitely be ordering, so would loads of members of my family, sick of getting ripped off down here.

hi red, i am there the weekend after next to newry,feel free to order from me! i can collect almost anything within reason of course! my prices are very reasonable!
    pm me and we can discuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Northern-Shoppe

Hi

I am Starting a sourcing and delivery service for all Retail goods bought in Northern Ireland, I will be operating the service in the West of Ireland region Galway, Sligo, Leitrim etc.

If you need goods from MAKRO cash and carry, ASDA, Tesco, ARGOS OR IKEA ETC please contact me on the contact info below.

I am launching a website at the end of the month, and I am working in partnership with Invest NI.

Please contact me for details.

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

paddy prices that will give me something else too moan about lol

Could you call it ROI Prices or something else along those lines. I for one don't like being called a 'Paddy'.

• Advertisement

hi guys,
    you can contact me at www.shopnorth.net (hope this not seen as advertising Mod) but it ties in with the topic.

Thanks

Advertisement