Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you play football?

• 24-04-2009 2:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

So, i saw that ad on the tv of the lads playing football on their sofas, the one encouraging people to play as apposed to just watch.

So thats my question, do you play football? Be it league or astro with your mates etc

I used to play league football but i just play astro once or twice a week now with my mates.

Do you play football? 85 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 85 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Play twice a week at the moment, used to be 3 but go to the gym too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

On the other end of it, one of my mates who plays league football (and would be one of the best defenders in the league their in) doesn't follow football at all..

Never supported a team, couldn't tell you who's left in the champions league, doesn't watch football at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

I use to play a lot before I hurt my back, hoping to get back playing a lot more over the summer.

Well i've been out for that past few months with a knee injury, but come next season i'll be back playing regular league footy:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Play every Thursday at lunchtime with work lads. Would love to play more but I don't think im quite fit enough for a full pitch :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Astro twice a week. I'd play more if given the chance!

Who's the no? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

There used to be about a dozen of us who played every week, but college got less laid back and people started leaving the country and we all stopped playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I voted no. Not because I don't turn up for indoor / astro / five a sides etc, but because I wouldn't be comfortable labeling such contributions as 'playing football properly'. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Train twice a week, match on a Sunday, indoor once a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No, not since I lost a leg in a bowling accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,135 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

On the other end of it, one of my mates who plays league football (and would be one of the best defenders in the league their in) doesn't follow football at all..

judging from the shortlist for the PFA award, neither do most professional players...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Play 11 a side, on grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

play astro turf at least once sometimes twice a week, train once and a match once a week aswell.

It would be more but the GAH comes 1st for me so try to balance both as best I can but any clashes and the soccer comes 2nd best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Does managing count?

I can't play because

1. I'm shíte

2. I have dodgy knees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i used to

was a pretty handy keeper too, but broke my foot a couple of times in the space of a week, and then it set wrong so they had to break it again and i havent kicked a ball since. likelihood is that id break it again if i go over on it at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

No because I would make Des look like Pele :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

tribulus wrote: »
    Play 11 a side, on grass.

imagine how much better you would be if you weren't stoned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Play indoor football once a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Five-a-side (astro), once, sometimes twice, a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Twice a week in the JJB soccerdome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Can't play any more, because of dodgy ankle. Last time I was in casualty with it, I was told I'm not getting any younger and was advised to give up the kickabout.

Used to play on the astro twice a week and f*ckin' loved it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

yea i play gaelic football for rosmini. in my 2nd season at the mo/ love it. also have the odd kick about with friends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

4 times a week atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I use to play a lot but stopped in my mid 30s ,playing the odd game now and again .

Attacking full back was my thing and and I nearly always got the ball , not the man ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I voted no. Not because I don't turn up for indoor / astro / five a sides etc, but because I wouldn't be comfortable labeling such contributions as 'playing football properly'. :)

you upset me so much... :rolleyes:

my guess is you probably play more than most here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I think it'd be interesting to cross-reference people's claims with the times they post on here....:P

though I suspect the statistics-quoting-haven't-got-a-breeze-how-to-play-but-passionately-support-a-club-to-compensate-for-dearth-in-masculinity-or-personal-life-success football nerds are just going to avoid posting in this thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Can't play any more, because of dodgy ankle. Last time I was in casualty with it, I was told I'm not getting any younger and was advised to give up the kickabout.

Snap - will see you one dodgy ankle and raise it to two, in addition to the not getting any younger bit.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I retired from competitive soccer at the grand old age of 16. knee problems. always meant to return, but college life, general lethargy, smoking and drinking too much all got in the way.

still play a bit of astro with friends back in Galway whenever i can, but don't get as much opportunity as i used to.

was ok back in the day, used be a utility man for a relatively sucessful school team and the local underage team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Play on one amateur team, two competitive co-ed teams and train twice every week.

I co-manage a high school team and I'll be running a soccer camp for sick children during he summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Jeez GY, you're like a footballing heroine!

I play every chance i get. Just coming back from a long groin strain injury that i had kept playing on and just made worse and worse. Played my first game back last week, but hoping to increase to 2 games this week, then hopefully back up to 4 by the week after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

have played astro at least twice a week since i was 13 or 14. played at that age with guys between 18-40 or so..bad idea. used to dance around them with ease, they didnt like it so i got fouled ALOT!! then went over on my ankle once or twice...leading to dodgy ankles. went over 3 times in the space of 8 months or so when i was about 20 with the 3rd one coming from such a maliciously bad challenge from the bigges tguy on the other team..just thought fook this!! its only meant to be a friendly game so gave up for a year or so...missed it too much so went back, havent rolled the ankle since, touch wood but then cam to oz and havent even kicked a ball since ive been here.

I miss playing football SO MUCH!! Absolutely love playing the game!!!

Snap - will see you one dodgy ankle and raise it to two, in addition to the not getting any younger bit.:(

Ouch, snap, wrong choice of word :pac:

Me left ankle ain't much good either :(
    Went to a physio a few months back and recommended some simple balancing exercises to strengthen them up. Also recommended some supplements, like glucosamine[sp?] and a few others.
    It's just that I've gone over on my right ankle so many times the past 2 years, the Doc was probably right that it's best to stop.
    Really miss it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

Used to play, played in tolka against Ajax youths in front of a couple of thousand. highlight of my career really:D

Gave it up and now I ref. Im still shocked at how many players dont actually know the laws of the game. Listening to Andy Gray too much I reckon.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Twice a week, but out with an ankle injury for 5 weeks, but about to go back :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

If I can I play football 3 times a week but work and injuries occasionally get in the way. The games are handily spaced out on Monday, Wednesday and Friday so I can be guaranteed at least a day of recovery time between the games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Anyone out of the game with an ankle injury has no excuse, one of the most recoverable!

Do your knee or back - different story.

quarryman wrote: »
    Anyone out of the game with an ankle injury has no excuse, one of the most recoverable!

Not when your told there's a lot of damage done over the years.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Nope, got dodgier knees than Paul McGrath. Plus there's the small matter of me being absolutely shíte when I did occasionally play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Ouch, snap, wrong choice of word :pac:

Me left ankle ain't much good either :(
    Went to a physio a few months back and recommended some simple balancing exercises to strengthen them up. Also recommended some supplements, like glucosamine[sp?] and a few others.
    It's just that I've gone over on my right ankle so many times the past 2 years, the Doc was probably right that it's best to stop.
    Really miss it though.

None of the people I went to recommended supplements. :(
    They did give me the balancing excercises and they work ok.
    Swimming helps a fair bit as well.
    If the Doc said to give it up I really wouldn't risk it though.
    Once you start going over on an ankle, chances are you are going to go over on it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Play for my local club every sunday but leagues finished for the winter now. Crippled with a groin injury for over a year now, still have it and its got worse and playing with it hasnt helped. Got to the point of kicking the ball feels like im over stretching my stomach every time now :(

Play as much as I can though. Hoping this summer to sort of the groin problem and get fit for next season so Benitez will come calling.

• Advertisement

None of the people I went to recommended supplements. :(
    They did give me the balancing excercises and they work ok.
    Swimming helps a fair bit as well.
    If the Doc said to give it up I really wouldn't risk it though.
    Once you start going over on an ankle, chances are you are going to go over on it again.

Glucosamine helps the joints. Think folk who suffer with arthritis are recommended to take it. Tumeric was another supplement, has an anti-inflammatory quality.

I'd say almost all the injuries I've had with my ankles, they were all self inflicted :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Played in local league (decent quality) last year until tore tendons in my foot. Was out for rest of season and due to college and general laziness haven't played since. Dreading having to go back and get fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

I used to play in the college league but the season is over for the minute. I'd really like to play a big more, but none of my friends are into football, unfortunately. Hopefully I'll find a group of lads to play with on astro over the summer or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Played in local league (decent quality) last year until tore tendons in my foot. Was out for rest of season and due to college and general laziness haven't played since. Dreading having to go back and get fit.

In a similar situation to you mate, i play league football but not going back until i finish my college finals in two weeks. I've been playing for about 12 years now, since i was 9, at a fairly good standard, been through a league academy but just play because i love it so much these days.

Can't wait to get back playing but haven't played in about four months, played in last league game of the season in January, we won the league but i wreaked my ankle. Like you dreading the getting back fit bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Played competitively for 11 years right from the thrillfest of under-8's.

Gave it up and playing hockey now, thinking of going back to playing football for a midweek astro team once i'm done with college.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Used to play tonnes of footie growing up. I remember we had a league with all the local estates. No prizes or anything just see which area had the best team. Most of the lads were 15+, I was about 11. Never conceded a goal.
    Played footies out on the field with the lads every spare minute we got. Never bothered to sign up for a team. Then went off and played GAA for a few years. Had to stop that because I ended up in hospital (Collapsed lungs... in and out of hospital over the next six months and had 5 operations.) but about 2 years ago when I moved down here I got a team started in the job. Play astro once or twice a week and get a few matches off local teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Frisbee wrote: »
    Gave it up and playing hockey now, thinking of going back to playing football for a midweek astro team once i'm done with college.

Join me, join me :D

I'll be calling on you if we're short during the summer season, and there'll always be space for you at Boardeaux full time if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Des wrote: »
    Join me, join me :D

I'll be calling on you if we're short during the summer season, and there'll always be space for you at Boardeaux full time if you want.

Cheers man :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

I've only recently got back to playing in a 7-a-side league in college. Enjoying it so next year I'll be playing a few matches per week hopefully. I end up getting a similar amount of exercise to the amount of exercise I'd get in the gym, for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I voted no since I havent played for a team in avery long time.
    I do try to get a kickabout going with the lads when i can, but thats rare, since its so bloody hard to get a decent number of people free at the same time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement