Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samuel Beckett Bridge under construction in Holland

• 24-04-2009 3:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

First pictures of the structure from Holland

20090322kinderdijk2bord.jpg

Hollandia_08042009.jpg

Hollandia_0804200902.jpg

"- Transportation date on 2 or 3 May (from the yard)
    - In May It will be placed on the concrete column in the river
    - Completed in November 2009. Then it also gets its official name: Samuell Beckett Bridge"

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I thought we'd have to wait a bit more for it to show up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Nope - it's arriving next month:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

:D nice one robbo best laugh i've had on here in ages!

Just cause Galway can't have a bridge like that ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Bit dissapointing that we couldn't have had it manufactured in Ireland. Nice bridge though.

• Advertisement

At least we see it now - and we have dates. It is being built in Rotterdam btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

murphaph wrote: »
    Bit dissapointing that we couldn't have had it manufactured in Ireland. Nice bridge though.
    About the only people who could have built it are Harland and Wolff and they aren't what they used to be.

calatrava3.jpg

calatrava1l.jpg

The pontoon about to take it to sea

calatrava2.jpg

It will leave tomorrow.

Video here - but - in Dutch

http://player.nos.nl/index.php/media/play/tcmid/tcm:5-511715/

BTW, and like the Dutch are saying, I don't think the pics do the size of the bridge justice. It has a very wide deck and is bigger then it looks. It should look good in a Dublin context when it gets here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Celtic Warrior

Weather permitting it'll take 6 days to get to Dublin. I watched that news Clip the dutch are pretty proud they built it.

A real eye catcher for Dublin in the form of a Harp. I'm fluent in dutch so it was easy to follow......:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Rawr

Is it just my imagination, or did it look like there were slots for tram rails built into the bridge surface on each side of the middle?

• Advertisement

Rawr wrote: »
    Is it just my imagination, or did it look like there were slots for tram rails built into the bridge surface on each side of the middle?
    god bless your eyesight cos I can't make anything out.

The plan was to have this bridge carry the Luas over alright but that was a long time ago (DTO, Platform for Change). I imagine tram tack sleepers can be attached to it later but this would be the 'right' time to do it, maintaining proper deck waterproofing and protection (this bridge will be near enough the sea to suffer from rapid salt corrosion if not properly protected).

There's a fairly new bridge near me in Berlin which is nowhere near a tram line but which has tram tracks embedded into it as a line is projected to cross it in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Rawr

god bless your eyesight cos I can't make anything out.

The plan was to have this bridge carry the Luas over alright but that was a long time ago (DTO, Platform for Change). I imagine tram tack sleepers can be attached to it later but this would be the 'right' time to do it, maintaining proper deck waterproofing and protection (this bridge will be near enough the sea to suffer from rapid salt corrosion if not properly protected).

There's a fairly new bridge near me in Berlin which is nowhere near a tram line but which has tram tracks embedded into it as a line is projected to cross it in the future.

Check out the video in darkman's post. At about 00:07 you'll make out the two sets of groves going up each side of the bridge. Nice bit of forward planning if it is the case.

Oh yeah, I didn't look at the video. Definitely tram track ready methinks. This is on a par with the R136 junction with the embedded tracks! Is ireland finally learning some lessons?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭rameire

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0504/liffeybridge.html

just an article on rte.
    The main structure of the new Samuel Becket bridge has left Rotterdam on its way to Dublin.
    The cable-stayed bridge currently is to join Macken Street on the south side of the River Liffey to Guild Street and North Wall Quay in the Docklands area.
    The architect is Santiago Calatrava, who also designed the James Joyce bridge, which is further upstream.
    AdvertisementConstructed by the Graham Hollandia Joint Venture, the main span of the bridge is supported by cable stays from a doubly back-stayed single forward arc tubular tapered spar, with decking providing for four traffic and two pedestrian lanes.
    It will also be capable of opening through an angle of 90 degrees allowing ships to pass through.
    The shape of the spar and its cables is said to evoke an image of a harp lying on its edge.
    The bridge left Rotterdam yesterday, and is expected to arrive in Dublin on 9 May.
    The bridge is expected to open early in 2010.
    The total cost of the project is estimated at €48.8m, which will also include a major upgrade of the approach roads.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭steve-o

Rawr wrote: »
    Check out the video in darkman's post. At about 00:07 you'll make out the two sets of groves going up each side of the bridge. Nice bit of forward planning if it is the case.
    I'd be curious to know how the overhead power supply would work on a bridge that opens. Or would the trams need a battery to provide power for that stretch?

steve-o wrote: »
    I'd be curious to know how the overhead power supply would work on a bridge that opens. Or would the trams need a battery to provide power for that stretch?
    Good question. The trams won't be equipped with a battery anyway-that would be a massive capital cost. It'll be a solution at the bridge itself. it is normal that sections of overhead catenary can be electrically isolated (for maintenance, emergency etc.) so the bridge section will likely be one such section. The overhead supply along the bridge and approach section would likely be a solid slimline rigid rail, rather than a flexible wire. It should not be difficult to engineer a solution to get the sections of rail to line up, no more difficult than getting the running rails to line up.

Edit: A solution was found for a swing bridge in 1915 in Glasgow so it's been done before....http://www.semple.biz/glasgow/dalmuir%20bridge.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I have heard elsewhere that the plan is to extend the red line to Poolbeg via another bridge further east.

I don't think that putting a red line extension south over the new bridge at Guild as this be an inefficient division of the line. At the same time, I can't see a new bridge being built as it would an expensive proposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

We're starting to understand forward planning here, its scaring me. First the Outer Ring Road with its tram crossing now this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

darkman2 wrote: »
    calatrava3.jpg

calatrava1l.jpg

The pontoon about to take it to sea

calatrava2.jpg

It will leave tomorrow.

Video here - but - in Dutch

http://player.nos.nl/index.php/media/play/tcmid/tcm:5-511715/

BTW, and like the Dutch are saying, I don't think the pics do the size of the bridge justice. It has a very wide deck and is bigger then it looks. It should look good in a Dublin context when it gets here.

It's a beautiful bridge. Seems to have some influence of the Erasmusbrug in Rotterdam. I imagine in time it will become a symbol of the increasingly vibrant Docklands area. Let's give credit where credit's due!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭walzer

I watched the video and I don't think they are tram tracks at all - if you look later in the video there's all sorts of stuff on the place where eventually the road surface will be.

Anyway, the Luas red line is being extended down to the O2/Point Village, so there will be no need to cross the river where this bridge is going.

Incidentally, the video got the location wrong - they have it aligning directly with Macken St., whereas it will actually be slightly closer to the city centre. I know because my apartment looks out onto the Liffey nearby - I'm looking foward to its arrival!

The Dutch boards are very compimentary about this bridge, they think it's really beautiful and some were asking if they couldn't keep it:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

How much is this going to cost exactly?

tech2 wrote: »
    How much is this going to cost exactly?
    The total cost of the project is estimated at €48.8m, which will also include a major upgrade of the approach roads.

My understanding is that there is NO accomodation in the design of this bridge to carry trams. If you look at the routing from the red line it would require a very tight turn from Mayor St. onto Guild St. Once it crosses the bridge you would have to have a very tight turn left onto the quays (and a tight right if it was going down Macken st.)

I just can't see why such a route would be needed. The south quays are within easy walking distance of the red line via either the Sean O'Casey Bridge or the new bridge. the south quays are within easy walking distance of Barrow St., Pearse or Tars St. DART stations.

The new bridge will be a welcome addition for those of working in the North Wall Quay area. It will greatly improve access by foot, bike or car. One hopes that it will also allow a few new bus routes as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Jimicito

BrianD wrote: »
    My understanding is that there is NO accomodation in the design of this bridge to carry trams. If you look at the routing from the red line it would require a very tight turn from Mayor St. onto Guild St. Once it crosses the bridge you would have to have a very tight turn left onto the quays (and a tight right if it was going down Macken st.)

I just can't see why such a route would be needed. The south quays are within easy walking distance of the red line via either the Sean O'Casey Bridge or the new bridge. the south quays are within easy walking distance of Barrow St., Pearse or Tars St. DART stations.

The new bridge will be a welcome addition for those of working in the North Wall Quay area. It will greatly improve access by foot, bike or car. One hopes that it will also allow a few new bus routes as well.

Sorry BrianD but you are wrong about this. Dublin City Council included the requirement for a tram crossing on the bridge in the original brief and then DDDA, RPA Engineers worked with Calatrava's team to ensure that provision was made in the deck for the tram tracks to cross the bridge and for overhead fixings to be accommodated. This was debated at the public inquiry which I attended. The grooves are filled until required then opened up and a tram track inserted. The tram reservation works as a normal traffic lane until then.

Its correct to say that the route was proposed tentatively as a link in Platform for Change but is not the RPA's preferred route ( which may end up being a bridge next to the East Link ). There are issues with the curve off the bridge on the south side but I know that an alternative straight route was also considered.

As for the overheads a solid rail with a gantry system ( as used on many bridge crossings in Amsterdam ) was proposed. However this would have a detrimental effect on the aesthetics of the bridge. Tram battery technology has advanced since the design was done so using battery power to cross the bridge is now feasible.

JJsmile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

SBB_02052009.jpg

SBB_0205200903.jpg

SBB_0305200904.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

When is it due to arrive?

Due in next Sat or Sun, probably depends on the weather.

Would anybody know exactly how the bridge is being transported by sea? Looking at the pontoons that it was on in Rotterdam harbour, I can't imagine those being used out on the high seas.

Would the bridge get transferred onto some big ship?

I'd say it'll make the whole trip on that barge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I now absolutly nothing about maritime transport but lets hope for good weather, don't want to see €48 million on the bottom on the Irish sea

Looking at those photos I'm concerned about it on the open sea, just from a first impression

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Oh yeah, I didn't look at the video. Definitely tram track ready methinks. This is on a par with the R136 junction with the embedded tracks! Is ireland finally learning some lessons?!
    Yes! I noticed that too! Great to see.

Jimicito wrote: »
    Sorry BrianD but you are wrong about this. Dublin City Council included the requirement for a tram crossing on the bridge in the original brief and then DDDA, RPA Engineers worked with Calatrava's team to ensure that provision was made in the deck for the tram tracks to cross the bridge and for overhead fixings to be accommodated. This was debated at the public inquiry which I attended. The grooves are filled until required then opened up and a tram track inserted. The tram reservation works as a normal traffic lane until then.

Its correct to say that the route was proposed tentatively as a link in Platform for Change but is not the RPA's preferred route ( which may end up being a bridge next to the East Link ). There are issues with the curve off the bridge on the south side but I know that an alternative straight route was also considered.

As for the overheads a solid rail with a gantry system ( as used on many bridge crossings in Amsterdam ) was proposed. However this would have a detrimental effect on the aesthetics of the bridge. Tram battery technology has advanced since the design was done so using battery power to cross the bridge is now feasible.

JJsmile.gif

So what we have is another case of "green line built to metro spec" where the design spacing of the tracks is at metro specification yet the reality is that other factors mean that the line will never become a metro line.

I suppose there'll be many a debate of a tram route over this bridge. Which is not impossible if a few buildings are taken out either side of the river!!

The only reference to a tram line that I can find on Google is on the Spencer Dock property sales site - "4 lanes of traffic with reservation for Luas Link bus" Are they referring to a Luas tram or a busway linking to a the luas tram?

I suppose that given that this is a steel deck bridge that it does make sense to future proof it in the event that a suitable tram routing is found that will use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

BrianD wrote: »
    The only reference to a tram line that I can find on Google is on the Spencer Dock property sales site - "4 lanes of traffic with reservation for Luas Link bus" Are they referring to a Luas tram or a busway linking to a the luas tram?

the DTO's platform for change plan (parts of which were nicked for T21) proposes: A new east-west line will be constructed from Lucan via Ballyfermot, Drimnagh, Dolphin’s Barn and the South City Centre to Docklands via the proposed Macken Street bridge. - the map shows this line travelling via the South Ring along the Grand Canal, obviously a different route is now proposed for the Lucan Luas.

Future proofed or not, there's plenty of activity outside the window on the river! We have river views from North wall Quay. A new pontoon is moored on John Rogersons Quay and the Dublin Port Tugs have been in and out. There's also a new crane in on the south side of the bridge.

On the northside the road surface has been raised at Guild St. and the outline of the bus and cycle lanes have been marked on North Wall Quay from Guild St. to the O2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Anyone know the name of the carrier, or the tugs?

www.shipais.com

• Advertisement

I checked pictures on a Dutch forum, but can't make out the names of any tugs. Nice website though:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Anyone know the name of the carrier, or the tugs?

www.shipais.com

Cool site:)

I think I might have found it...

Don't know much about shipping, but this is a tug (called RT Magic), status restricted manoeuvre, heading for Dublin from Netherlands. Due in on May 8th 11:00 which suggests it's quite slow. It's currently just near Plymouth. And looking at its history, it just came from Rotterdam, departed last Sunday.

http://www.shipais.com/showship.php?mmsi=245464000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Here's a high-res picture I found on someone's Flickr account .. http://www.flickr.com/photos/breuls/3497966026/sizes/o/

The names ofthe two tugs on that photo seem to be "En Avant 4" and "Sirius".

walzer wrote: »
    I think I might have found it...

Don't know much about shipping, but this is a tug (called RT Magic), status restricted manoeuvre, heading for Dublin from Netherlands. Due in on May 8th 11:00 which suggests it's quite slow. It's currently just near Plymouth. And looking at its history, it just came from Rotterdam, departed last Sunday.

http://www.shipais.com/showship.php?mmsi=245464000

Good Spot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 DrBB

A tug and a barge type thing (not a bridge carrying one) arrived, with a tug, I think called En Avant7 about mid-day today, didn't have my camera phone on me :(

I think its this ship as listed on that website:

21m x 8m x 3.2m Tug En Avant7 [NL] Dublin May06 15:00

Yes I see En Avant 7 is already in Dublin. My guess is that this is a special tug that takes over or helps for the last bit coming through the bay and up the river. It seems to have come over from Rotterdam in advance of the bridge.

The two tugs En Avant 4 and Sirius are nowhere to be seen on the shipais website, I suppose they've done their job in towing the bridge out of Rotterdam harbour.

I'm sticking with RT Magic for now, until I see better theory:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

I'm sticking with RT Magic for now, until I see better theory:)

The shipais website shows RT Magic's current speed as 0.4kts. Which would indicate its towing something...why go at snail speed to Dublin - its listed max speed is 12.5 kts.

Actually from what I've seen this afternoon, Rt Magic has stayed in roughly the same position for a few hours. Maybe sheltering from the weather? Or maybe it doesn't want to arrive in Dublin until the weekend, when everything is ready for sailing up the Liffey? Just guessing at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Actually from what I've seen this afternoon, Rt Magic has stayed in roughly the same position for a few hours. Maybe sheltering from the weather? Or maybe it doesn't want to arrive in Dublin until the weekend, when everything is ready for sailing up the Liffey? Just guessing at this stage.
    Looks like it moved a good bit tighter to the coast alright as there is a gale force warning in place on the Irish Sea at least.
    Southwest winds will reach gale force for a time this evening on all coasts of Ireland and on the Irish Sea. West winds will reach gale force tonight on coasts from Slyne Head to Malin Head to Fair Head.
    Issued at 16:00 on 06-May-2009
    Cool site:)
    It's good alright, mad how busy the English channel gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

found sirius with a different destination,

img attached.

rt magic has also changed destination and timeframe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

m1bzqtlab11s.jpg

Now i am homesick:)

rameire wrote: »
    found sirius with a different destination,

img attached.

rt magic has also changed destination and timeframe.

From what I can see, Sirius has destination Ijmuijden (in Holland), whereas RT Magic still has destination Dublin. My guess is that it's still RT Magic, even if its ETA has change drastically (maybe it's auto-calculated from its speed/direction?)

• Advertisement
Advertisement