Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samuel Beckett Bridge under construction in Holland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 East Link rep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Went out for a quick look there and it is quite impressive.

No pics unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭novice

sam passing past east link

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DrNuyenVanFaulk

Lads, can't find any details on this: is the bridge going to be completely steadfast? Will no boats be able to sail under it? It's not going to rotate a-la that new foot bridge (Pearse?)

Seems a bit of as shame to not have some tall boats float up to their old resting spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Rics

Looks pretty decent, living very near there I can see this bridge being used quite a bit, although I'm sure it was expensive to build, errect etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DrNuyenVanFaulk

Okay, that makes sense. I presum it'll roatte asymmetrically about the centre of the river, about that pillar that's already instated closer to the south bank.

I have to travel from Donaghmede to St. Vincent's most days. If it's not Amien's Street and down the south bank, it's the East Link. But this will do very nicely indeed!

Also, phk DCC for their arse-box thinking RE traffic calming on College Green. Different topic, I know, but I don't think it should be implemented until this bridge is fully operational.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭novice

Lads, can't find any details on this: is the bridge going to be completely steadfast? Will no boats be able to sail under it? It's not going to rotate a-la that new foot bridge (Pearse?)

Seems a bit of as shame to not have some tall boats float up to their old resting spots.

Now I know our local authorities come in for a lot of criticism from time to time, but do you really think they would be short-sighted enough to open the Sean O'Casey swing bridge in 2005 to allow traffic up the Liffey ... and then build a fixed bridge downstream from it?

And if it wasn't a swing bridge, would we really be shipping it all the way from Rotterdam rather than building it on site?

Sean O'Casey Bridge
    img1.jpg

Samuel Beckett Bridge
    000150.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭walzer

pic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Closest thing Ireland will ever have to an Aircraft Carrier. :)

Sean O'Casey Bridge
    img1.jpg

Samuel Beckett Bridge
    000150.jpg
    Some seriously nice bridges along the liffey now. Knock down the railway viaduct and liberty hall and we'll be flying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

IIMII wrote: »
    Knock down the railway viaduct ... and we'll be flying

Especially Dart customers... wanting to use the busiest stretch of railway in the country. but sher if it looks nice, damn them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DrBB

Took some random photos as the bridge came in.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/brendan.boyd/SamuelBeckettBridgeNewLiffeyBridgeInDublin

A Bulmers Pint glass does make an adequate tripod! (but not for video :( )

Video of the bridge going through the east link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68bd-8ZR4iQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

ah the loop line is looking much better since the ads were removed and the it was repainted

• Advertisement

Just figured out how to put these pics inline...

[IMG][/img]79791.JPG

another...

79836.JPG

Especially Dart customers... wanting to use the busiest stretch of railway in the country. but sher if it looks nice, damn them.
    Apparently it's the only bridge over the liffey which is unnamed, due to it's uglyness. Obviously it isn't going anywhere, but that doesn't change the fact (or rather my opinion) that it is a particularly ugle bridge, like Liberty hall is a fairly ugly building, and both contrast badly with the Customs house

walzer wrote: »
    another...

79836.JPG
    Really shows the sheer size of it. Amazing..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 beckers

amazing that the new beautiful bridge has so much publicity and interest of the irish people. when we transported the bridge from our yard into to Rotterdam harbour we experienced this as well from the dutch. In general technical issues has little interest. good to experience this. i hope you all enjoy the bridge for a very long time

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭dubb

check out the Liffey and Grand Canal Basin 10 years ago - it will be different again in a few months time ...

79946.jpg

liffey_and_grand_canal_basin_1999.jpg

WME wrote: »
    No they're not, in fact, the only thing they've got in common is me I think :)

I used to work for Hollandia but work for Buro Happold now

I work right now for Hollandia and have talked to Happold a few times in the past. What's your name by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭gjim

Just figured out how to put these pics inline...

[IMG][/img]79791.JPG
    :o Is it just me or is there something very phallic about the bridge from that angle?

dubb wrote: »
    check out the Liffey and Grand Canal Basin 10 years ago - it will be different again in a few months time ...

79946.jpg

liffey_and_grand_canal_basin_1999.jpg

The not too distant future...

80050.jpg

Great pic. But would that be the Anglo Irish Bank headquarters there in the foreground? Unfortunately I don't think that building will be finished anytime soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 WME

beckers wrote: »
    No they're not, in fact, the only thing they've got in common is me I think :)

I used to work for Hollandia but work for Buro Happold now

I work right now for Hollandia and have talked to Happold a few times in the past. What's your name by the way?

Winfried Meijer, van de tekenkamer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Great pic. But would that be the Anglo Irish Bank headquarters there in the foreground? Unfortunately I don't think that building will be finished anytime soon!
    The Luas isn't indicated in that CGI either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

God that Spencer Dock render is bland and boring. I hate all this Modern Architecture crap, its ruining this country almost as much as the Estate Frenzy has in the countryside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

I just love the way the bridge ends facing a building on the south-side(left-hand side).:D

My fear is that it would actually be opening onto a junction - be that macken street or lime street - then it might actually help traffic move more freely, at least this way, it will actually help create traffic:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

yeah they were going to stretch at angle across the river but they they didn't ,partly cos the old residents complained i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

yeah they were going to stretch at angle across the triver but they they didn't ,partly cos the old residents complained

Hold on, are you saying the bridge doesn't directly connect two roads? :eek:

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Hold on, are you saying the bridge doesn't directly connect two roads? :eek:

yes, the southside of the bridge ends at a T-junction,
    but the northside of the bridge ends at a crossroads or damn close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

I believe the priority flow will be to go down Macken Street, turn left, and then right over the bridge.

Both Macken Steet and this part of the quay are fairly wide!

Colm R wrote: »
    I believe the priority flow will be to go down Macken Street, turn left, and then right over the bridge.

Both Macken Steet and this part of the quay are fairly wide!

Yes I believe they've designed it on the Merrion Square to Holles Street junction - as that was said to be flawless - or almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭greyed

another...

79836.JPG

God I hate that PWC building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

yes, the southside of the bridge ends at a T-junction,
    but the northside of the bridge ends at a crossroads or damn close.

Sigh... I know it's relatively minor but I'd thought it was a straight through... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

I hate that tilted can building it just looks redicolous, it maybe an artectural design, but its obviously pointless for the building. God its awful.

The docklands should have a minimum height of 8 storys to 10 storys. The Spencor docks looks a little better, but stil very boxish IMO. It needs more density and height to make the area more valuable, and vibrant. It faces teh river.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

mysterious wrote: »
    I hate that tilted can building it just looks redicolous, it maybe an artectural design, but its obviously pointless for the building. God its awful.

The docklands should have a minimum height of 8 storys to 10 storys. The Spencor docks looks a little better, but stil very boxish IMO. It needs more density and height to make the area more valuable, and vibrant. It faces teh river.
    Its the The Convention Centre . The landmark building was designed by Pritzker award-winning Irish architect Kevin Roche, and features a stunning glass fronted atrium running the full height of the building - giving visitors panoramic views of the River Liffey, Dublin city centre and the Wicklow mountains.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 BanjoKelly

They've moved the bridge on to its base now. Pics: http://www.thedailystuff.ie/beckettbridgearrival.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

It looks fantastic and elegant now that it's in place.

I have heard through the grapevine that the bridge is well ahead of schedule and may be open ahead of time.

On the face if there doesn;t seem to a whole lot to do ... installation of the road surface, the commissioning of the swivel equipment and integration of the bridge into the local road network. I imagine that the latter might take the longest!

beckers wrote: »

Winfried Meijer, van de tekenkamer

aardig je hier te vinden, bij toeval ben ik op dit forum terecht gekomen en vond het wel aardig om de mening van de Ieren te lezen. En zo kom je per toeval met collega's in aanraking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 WME

Ik ook, ik was op zoek naar nieuwsberichten en fotos van de brug op reis en kwam ineens hier terecht.

Ik zag al die mensen hier tobben over hoe het werkt enzo dus dacht laat ik ze eens helpen!

BrianD wrote: »
    It looks fantastic and elegant now that it's in place.

I have heard through the grapevine that the bridge is well ahead of schedule and may be open ahead of time.

On the face if there doesn;t seem to a whole lot to do ... installation of the road surface, the commissioning of the swivel equipment and integration of the bridge into the local road network. I imagine that the latter might take the longest!

The works are on schedule, not ahead of schedule as far as the Hollandia works concerned. Roadworks etc is unknown for me.

For anyone who's still a bridge geek (like me:) ), I've been told that the Samuel Beckett bridge will be moved to the closed position (i.e. it will span the river) for the first time tomorrow, June 17th.

• Advertisement

Ik ook, ik was op zoek naar nieuwsberichten en fotos van de brug op reis en kwam ineens hier terecht.

Ik zag al die mensen hier tobben over hoe het werkt enzo dus dacht laat ik ze eens helpen!
    Zijn er een andere projecten op het ogenblik in Ierland?

OK, it looks like the bridge didn't move an inch yesterday. That's my credibility shattered then :o

Still, judging by the big crane there this morning there might be a move in the offing soon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

It's in the closed position now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

I think David Norris opened the bridge on tuesday (bloomsday). But I guess it isn't open to traffic yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

no he opened the new luas bridge behind he conference centre.built so the luas can go to the o2.

also just came home from pearse station and seen it now spanned across the river.great addition i think.its huge though, if the buildings surrounding it were higher it my fit in better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement