Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samuel Beckett Bridge under construction in Holland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Some pictures here:

http://www.thedailystuff.ie/beckettbridgearrival.html

Whats the deal with the manholes sticking out of the Liffey? 6 in total, 3 either side. Anyone know what they are for? Are they permanent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Winters wrote: »
    Whats the deal with the manholes sticking out of the Liffey? 6 in total, 3 either side. Anyone know what they are for? Are they permanent?
    Look like bumpers to protect the bridge structure from collisions or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭walzer

Yea I think they're to protect the bridge structure, and I think they're permanent. If you look at the East Link bridge there are also some things sticking out of water, to stop boats hitting the bridge.

picsattachment.php?attachmentid=83074&d=1245352698

picsattachment.php?attachmentid=83075&d=1245352724

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You should have posted the other pic, the one looking towards the point. Much nicer with the sun on it :p
    just appeared now,,,
    Hast to be the nicest looking bridge in the city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭rgfuller

From the other side:
    83100.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

What ship is that with the 3 masts on the south quay?

It's the Libertad, an Argentinian tall-ship. It's been here before.

A slightly different bridge view...
    attachment.php?attachmentid=83111&stc=1&d=1245409226

walzer wrote: »
    It's the Libertad, an Argentinian tall-ship. She's been here before.

fixed that for you ;)

Cool photo, and a more normal sky colour.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭pampers1

Anyone know what the opening date of this Bridge is and if there will be a special opening ceremony or anything like that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 East Link rep

I read in the paper last week that it was opening officially on 10th December and then open to traffic from 11th. Not sure if its Dublin City Council or NRA though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Defo Dec 10th http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1030/dublin.html

And pedestrians can walk it the day or 2nd last day before its opened as far as i remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭trellheim

Cycled past last night, the collision lamps for marine traffic are active now, and the fences have gone to chickenwire type so you can see what's there. Still no traffic plan though but lots of traffic lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

the road barriers for when the bridge is open to river traffic are quite impressive. They look like giant teeth!

Lot of traffic light work going on including up on Macken St.

Will there be a right turn allowed at the 5 lamps for traffic heading North?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Heart

Not sure if this has been mentioned... but here's a link to a pdf of turning restrictions associated with the new bridge...

http://www.freeflow.ie/documents/Samuel%20Beckett%20Traffic%20Arrangements%20%20.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

i walked over it on friday night, after the kasabian concert in the O2 hundreds of people passed through openings in the fences on each side and walked over it.. it was a bit shaky (as you'd get with the ha'penny bridge) which i didn't expect but was great fun to break the rules with so many other people and cross the bridge before it officially opens..

Heart wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been mentioned... but here's a link to a pdf of turning restrictions associated with the new bridge...

http://www.freeflow.ie/documents/Samuel%20Beckett%20Traffic%20Arrangements%20%20.pdf

Just looking at that map. No left turn from North Wall quays onto the bridge? Thought they would have had an incentive to get southbound traffic from O2 direction to not get near the core city!
    And no right turn from the bridge onto SJR quay. That sounds strange!

Guess we'll find out how traffic movements will be with these new flows. A new spacious right hand turn from Pearse st onto Macket st was created over the last few days, that should help ease Pearse st traffic.

I's say the residents of Seville Place will not be happy with new heavier flows in their area. :)

It's an interesting map... there's no right turn from Cardiff Lane on SJR Quay... the only way to get to the section between Cardiff Lane and Forbes St. seems to be by coming over the bridge itself... or am I reading that wrong???

Isn't this the turn the 74, 74a buses take???

You're right. Only way to go in that scenario is to go all the way down to CHQ from Pearse st direction, cross over the river to the northside and go all the way down CHQ and then turn right onto the bridge to get to Forbes St/East SJR quay. Ridiculous.

Seriously, that must be a misprint. The whole docklands area east of Macken st/Cardiff Lane has been cordoned off from local southside traffic by that traffic plan!!

• Advertisement

Phew! It's not just my reading of it so... Seems a bit odd alright!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,164 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

gurramok wrote: »
    You're right. Only way to go in that scenario is to go all the way down to CHQ from Pearse st direction, cross over the river to the northside and go all the way down CHQ and then turn right onto the bridge to get to Forbes St/East SJR quay. Ridiculous.

or go via Misery Hill, Hibernia Rd, Lazer Lane? Not sure what those streets are like (narrow I'm guessing - they're not even marked on google maps).

The no left turn off the the north quays onto the bridge can only be there to preserve toll income for the East Link, I can't think of any other reason to ban that turn...

loyatemu wrote: »
    or go via Misery Hill, Hibernia Rd, Lazer Lane? Not sure what those streets are like (narrow I'm guessing - they're not even marked on google maps).

The no left turn off the the north quays onto the bridge can only be there to preserve toll income for the East Link, I can't think of any other reason to ban that turn...

For Misery Hill...You can't turn right(or left in other direction) from Cardiff Lane onto Misery Hill as Misery Hill is one way coming onto Cardiff Lane. You need access to Misery Hill/SJR quay before you can access Hibernian Rd & Lazer Lane which ain't there. (check map)
    Of course if Misery Hill is 2way from Cardiff Lane to Hibernian Rd, problem is solved. But it ain't 2way now(is blocked) and was never 2way in this section before it was blocked off. It can accomodate 2way traffic though as street is wide enough. The map doesn't say if its one way or 2way, its guesswork!

Guess its a waiting game until the new directions are in place to see what happens as the map is ambiguous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I am informed that the no left hand turn on NWQ is to prevent HGV's from using Macken St. It arises from the EIS that was done 10 years ago, before the cordon. It could be changed at some time in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

I am informed that the no left hand turn on NWQ is to prevent HGV's from using Macken St. It arises from the EIS that was done 10 years ago, before the cordon. It could be changed at some time in the future.

Couldn't they just put a HGV ban on Macken Street? It seems daft to force traffic further up the quays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

MiniD wrote: »
    Couldn't they just put a HGV ban on Macken Street? It seems daft to force traffic further up the quays.

+1. This ban on left turns makes absolutely no sense to me. It will mean traffic continuing to use to Matt Talbot bridge which, as was discussed on another thread, is already struggling to cope with volumes. I can only agree with Loyatemu's assessment that it is to encourage port traffic to continue using Eastlink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Hey, don't look at me, you should have written in when comments were invited on the EIS in 1999!

This will get changed, I'm sure.

Hey, don't look at me, you should have written in when comments were invited on the EIS in 1999!

This will get changed, I'm sure.

Who gets the toll income from the East link now? shenanigans I'd imagine as the new bridge will cut the legs from under the toll bridge now. EUR 1.70 is a bit of a rip off. It's only EUR1.90 for the N25 bypass of Waterford, and that's a wee bit longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Who gets the toll income from the East link now? shenanigans I'd imagine as the new bridge will cut the legs from under the toll bridge now. EUR 1.70 is a bit of a rip off. It's only EUR1.90 for the N25 bypass of Waterford, and that's a wee bit longer.
    NTR get the bulk of the toll money, but I think Dublin Port and the city council get a cut also. Contract expires in 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

bmaxi wrote: »
    +1. This ban on left turns makes absolutely no sense to me.
    It makes as much sense to me as this post by jxbr
    The Mackin Street bridge in the second of a pair. The story goes back further - to the James Joyce Memorial Bridge at Queen Street.

This little known, little used and very expensive bridge (and its sister bridge at Macken Street – see http://www.dublincity.ie/services/mackenbr2.htm) has an interesting story. It demonstrates Dublin City Council’s incompetence and arrogance.

The story started when Owen Keegan, the former well loved controller of traffic and now head of DLRCC - the man who put a bus lane down a road with no buses, decided that he wanted a monument to his own arrogance.
    Note that at this stage, Dublin City Council had a working budget of just over €5 million to build the bridge................
    Professor A. Hamilton in a report states that the Bridge project had not been "well planned, constructed or administered". Some of the Professor’s conclusions are:..................

and there is more.........

What is going on with our local government?

It makes as much sense to me as this post by jxbr

What is going on with our local government?

Good post by JXBR. I'd be astounded if this was an isolated incident but, as I've said often before, an indictment on us, the people of this country, for allowing the powers that be to walk all over us. Apathy is a major crime in my book and we're guilty of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

I would hardly call the James Joyce bridge little used. It is actually at Blackhall Place and not Queen Street. It is used by the 37 and 39 buses outbound (two very busy routes) and always has a volume of cars passing over it in either direction. Building it meant that buses now save time making the turn from the south quays outbound - previously they used Watling Street bridge which is really in no means suited to buses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Yip, as KC61 says, it's far from a little used bridge, in the evenings there's regularly queues from the quays to try get over it as both lanes on it are full of traffic waiting to cross to the north side and a queue of traffic waiting to get onto it coming from the north side.

I wouldn't have a problem with the bridge per se. It's more to do with corruption and low standards. The "it's only taxpayers money" attitude that seems to permeate Government at all levels.

The problem with DCC is that they're not explaining the stragegic pupose of the bridge. If they are creating a North-South corridor then there is no point in clogging it up with local traffic trying to access the north and south docklands. Working in the area, I would prefer if the turns didn't restrict traffic in and out of the north docklands but I can see how they would cause tailbacks.

However, I can't see how having these turns would favour the east link. Traffic heading south can't access the south docklands (Grand canal sq) from the East Link. Traffic travelling north will actually be facilitated by the new bridge as they can bypass the eastlink. Very little traffic actually enters the north docklands east of guild st as there is nothing of note apart from The O2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The objective of the bridge is to divert through traffic away from the O'Connell Bridge area and to connect the north and south docklands. If it ended up with all the East Link traffic, would it just become congested?

Victor wrote: »
    The objective of the bridge is to divert through traffic away from the O'Connell Bridge area and to connect the north and south docklands. If it ended up with all the East Link traffic, would it just become congested?

Doesn't the Roche Family bridge at the east link connect the North and south Docklands?
    Tis fairly hard to get from the M50 tunnel to the south port otherwise?

There are 2 other road bridges above this new bridge and below O'Connell bridge. Why build a bridge for certain through traffic that has to detour loads and not for the through traffic that'll need to detour less?

Did DCC think it all through Victor? They never do. It will end up with some of the Gardiner St/Amiens st southbound traffic and East Link traffic so yeh, a high risk of been congested from day 1.

Why would traffic commuting to/from the south east of the city and to/from north east of the city use the East Link now? (unless of course it was hell trying to reach the new bridge in the first place)

Doesn't the Roche Family bridge at the east link connect the North and south Docklands?
    Tis fairly hard to get from the M50 tunnel to the south port otherwise?

There are 2 other road bridges above this new bridge and below O'Connell bridge. Why build a bridge for certain through traffic that has to detour loads and not for the through traffic that'll need to detour less?

The objective was to relieve the city centre(CHQ in particular) and lets face it, it needs relieving. The bus gate mess made the congestion worse here.

Its just that the incompetent DCC never realised that the East Link drivers will also use this new bridge!
    For northbound traffic, I bet people living on Sean Moore Rd can't wait for the congestion to move from their area to Ringsend. Looking at a map for this route, that right turn from Pearse st onto Macken st will be mayhem as a result.
    BrianD wrote:
    Will there be a right turn allowed at the 5 lamps for traffic heading North?
    This is crucial to prevent congestion northbound at the bridge. Is there a ban on the right hand turn from Seville Place onto North Strand to stop East Link dodgers? (must check this later today)

For southbound traffic, is there a ban on a left turn from N Strand rd onto Seville Place to prevent East Link dodgers? (wouldnt say so as its impractical)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭trellheim

FYI :

DCC are just finishing up the move of the traffic light at Pearse St/Macken St. Junction on the Pearse St East side about 6ft north. ,

this has caused

1: The provision of an extra, right turning lane at Pearse st. to get onto Macken St.

Mayhem for eastbound drivers going to Ringsend [ where I live ] because the buslane, and normal lane are squeezed down into 1 lane now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

trellheim wrote: »
    FYI :

DCC are just finishing up the move of the traffic light at Pearse St/Macken St. Junction on the Pearse St East side about 6ft north. ,

this has caused

1: The provision of an extra, right turning lane at Pearse st. to get onto Macken St.

Mayhem for eastbound drivers going to Ringsend [ where I live ] because the buslane, and normal lane are squeezed down into 1 lane now.

Ya its a bit of a joke. Passed it last week and nearly hit the fecking thing its not very well lit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

trellheim wrote: »
    FYI :

this has caused

To be fair, there was always only one lane there going to Ringsend if there was anyone turning right (which there usually was at peak times). I'm not sure why they needed to build that obstruction in the middle of the road, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

For Misery Hill...You can't turn right(or left in other direction) from Cardiff Lane onto Misery Hill as Misery Hill is one way coming onto Cardiff Lane. You need access to Misery Hill/SJR quay before you can access Hibernian Rd & Lazer Lane which ain't there. (check map)
    Of course if Misery Hill is 2way from Cardiff Lane to Hibernian Rd, problem is solved. But it ain't 2way now(is blocked) and was never 2way in this section before it was blocked off. It can accomodate 2way traffic though as street is wide enough. The map doesn't say if its one way or 2way, its guesswork!

Guess its a waiting game until the new directions are in place to see what happens as the map is ambiguous.

Looking at the map it gives the impression that Misery Hill IS two way as far as Hibernian Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭geecee

Anyone know if this is still going to go ahead on the 10th?
    Its not getting much news these days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

Well it definitely seems finished. They've also re-opened the pedestrian lane running past the bridge which is great because it means we no longer have to walk out on the wet and muddy road, used to be awful after lots of rain. So it's getting closer and closer from what I can see to opening it up, it doens't look like they have anything left to do before opening it.

tomorrow was the original date no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭pampers1

geecee wrote: »

the official opening is tomorrow December 10th at 3.30 although I don't think it will be open to traffic yet. Maybe just pedestrians. Sir John Rogerson's Quay from the Ferryman to the O2 Building will be closed from 2 p.m. I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭markpb

geecee wrote: »

They were testing it yesterday and had it half-rotated when I went past at 4.45pm so I assume it's ready to go unless something goes wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

markpb wrote: »
    They were testing it yesterday and had it half-rotated when I went past at 4.45pm so I assume it's ready to go unless something goes wrong.

Went passed the bridge this morning and the markings are down - interestingly enough, the Southbound carriageway includes a bus lane!

Would like to walk the bridge ASAP! :)

BTW, the interconnector looks like it's definitely going ahead - looking forward to it myself - I believe there is provision for 12 carriage trains in the tunnel system! :eek: IMO, it makes perfect sense to do this project (even at the expense of roads!) as the economies of scale are massive. On top of all that, 7000 employed year on year during construction! :)

Regards!

This is crucial to prevent congestion northbound at the bridge. Is there a ban on the right hand turn from Seville Place onto North Strand to stop East Link dodgers? (must check this later today)

The reason I asked about the 5 Lamps right turn outbound is that Amiens St/North Strand would be a major routeway for a lot of people. It means that people who use this route going to destinations on the southside (and vice versa) will have to continue using Tara St.

One thing is certainly the same. The complete inability of DCC to put up directional signs. I see no evidence of a single signpost going up to sign this major route. Dublin - the city with no road signs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

BTW, the interconnector looks like it's definitely going ahead - looking forward to it myself - I believe there is provision for 12 carriage trains in the tunnel system!
    Source?

Advertisement