Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samuel Beckett Bridge under construction in Holland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

I live in the south east inner city and having examined the various routes around the bridge today have come to the conclusion that it is completely irrelevant to any journey I may wish to make. Like the Celtic Tiger, it's something that's only for other people.

At least I could find this all out over a weekend. Judging by the number of people who were directed up blind alleys and into car parks by the RIDICULOUS traffic restrictions while I was trying it out today and yesterday, there is going to be MAYHEM during rush hour for the next week or so.

A pity. It could have been such a useful addition to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

Can one turn right for example, from East Wall Road into Sherrif St and from there left into Guild St?

No, Spencer Dock Bridge is for trams only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

i live in ringsend and work in the dublin port area, when the bridge was gettin built i said brilliant that will save me the toll everytime i go to work but to my amazement i can neither use the bridge going to work or coming home from work ..... absolutely ridiculous restrictions and typical of this backward litle country to not use the such a spectacular structure and amenity that is the samuel beckett bridge , also a shame people going the o2 cant use it either:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can one turn right for example, from East Wall Road into Sherrif St and from there left into Guild St?

No, Spencer Dock Bridge is for trams only

Spencer Bridge (aka Sheriff Street Bridge) does not have a turn onto Guild Street.

The new Luas bridge is on Mayor Street and has limited turns to avoid conflict with Luas. For motorised traffic, it is only for access to /from Spencer Dock.

dekbhoy wrote: »
    i live in ringsend and work in the dublin port area, when the bridge was gettin built i said brilliant that will save me the toll everytime i go to work but to my amazement i can neither use the bridge going to work or coming home from work ..... absolutely ridiculous restrictions and typical of this backward litle country to not use the such a spectacular structure and amenity that is the samuel beckett bridge , also a shame people going the o2 cant use it either:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Yes. It's like a kid coming down on Christmas morning, seeing this fantastic shiny new toy and saying "Oh great! Can't wait to play with that!" only to be slapped sharply on the wrist by a parent and told "No! Not for you! Only for good children!"

Except in this case the kids who can't use it have paid for it as much as the kids who can.

crocro wrote: »
    The direct route to the airport is to continue up Seville Place and on to the NCR and the N1/M1 to the airport. If you want to use the tunnel you can cross the east link.

Well I won't. :p

I live about equidistant between Butt Bridge and the East Link bridge. Why should I go out of my way to pay a toll? I will continue to use the Butt Bridge route for my journeys to the North Side. It would be nice if I could use the bridge that is nearest to me, ie the SBB, but the planners have made that impossible.

The bridge is hardly meant to encourage cross city airport commuters to enter the city centre. Through traffic does nothing for the city - it just brings noise and air pollution and congestion.

What an illogical statement. There is a huge catchment area of people who live north of the Merrion Gates and West of the Merrion Road for whom getting to the East link is a tedious and congested trip down some of the narrowest, residential roads in the city. Frequently reduced to a de-facto contraflow especially at peak times.

Such people (eg me) see no reason to endure all that to pay a toll at the end of it so they (we) simply drive into Butt Bridge and up the quays. We'll happily pay a toll to use the tunnel and avoid North inner city traffic, but not to endure the unnecessary pain of a detour to the East Link.

The SBB could allow us to shave some time off that AND keep us from going further into the city centre than necessary. But the planners know better....:confused:

[
    There is no policy that revenue raised from drivers should be spent on drivers and no policy that wide streets in a city should always be filled with car traffic.

Far better to keep narrow residential streets "filled with car traffic"? :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

mackerski wrote: »
    That'd be a bit out of the way. Seville Place?

Woops! That would be it.

I crossed the bridge this morning and noted another daft positioning of a VMS by DCC. Really somebody needs to go in and sort their road sigange dept out.

The VMS is located on Macken St. between Pearse and Misery Hill. One presumes that it is there to provide advance warnings about the bridge status. If so what is it doing on at the location? the logical choice of location would be before the intersection of Macken St and Pearse St. This would enable motorists to turn left onto Pearse St and use Tara St. in the event the bridge is closed or they are heading to destinations that are not accesable from the bridge e.g. The O2. Wht do they get it so badly wrong?

I thought trucks were already banned from going down the quays.

Plus the bridge isn't much use to trucks. There's a height restriction off 4.38m going under the bridge on Cardiff Lane. Most could squeeze under by going in the centre of the road. I would guess that many truckers would avoid it (even there was no HGV ban).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Walked over the bridge the night before it was opened to traffic and drove over it for the first time today.

First off: it is a beautiful structure and one which, in aesthetic terms, I am glad we shelled out the money to pay for. A public monument such as that improves the city for everyone.

But.....this is not just a monument, it is supposed to be a functional item. One that has a utilitarian purpose, and on first examination, I am at a loss to know what it is.

I drove from the south inner city to the airport. Down Macken St and over the bridge. No right turn on to the north quays. OKayeee. Go straight on and take the next right. Encouraged by the prominent filter lane encouraging everybody to do so. Then you come to a big dead end. I was not the only person so deceived. Everybody else that made that turn ended up doing a youeee and heading back to the quays.

Coming back from the airport I came down the east wall road and right on to the quays. No LEFT turn on to the bridge. Helloo!! So I turned right and ended up in Seville Place which from what I can gather after consulting a map is the ONLY place you can drive to heading from south to north. A very residential area and hardly a suitable place for a major traffic artery.

All of this is compounded by the god awful signage or rather the complete lack of same. What is it with the "Ah sure Jaysus everyone knows that" attitude of the people with responsibility for our roads?

Tomorrow I will take out the old gluaistean and check out a few more absurdities. Can one turn right for example, from East Wall Road into Sherrif St and from there left into Guild St? If one can't then there would seem to be no alternative to driving through heavily residential areas to make use of the bridge.

I must confess to having little sympathy for people who say of the streets in which they live that the very people who pay for their upkeep, ie those who tax their cars legitimately, should not be allowed use them, but at the same time, if there are wide thoroughfares in the area then these SHOULD be the ones which motorists should be encouraged to use. It's only common sense.

Please let this wonderful new structure not become another victim of blinkered governmental small mindedness.

I can only assume that you used the Port Tunnel to/from the airport? Then yes the new bridge will be of limited use to you. However, it is possible to access the Port Tunnel from the bridge.

The route to the Port Tunnel is:
    Samuel Beckett Bridge - Guild Street - Seville Place - Portland Row - Summerhill - Ballybough Road - Poplar Row - East Wall Road and left to Port Tunnel.

From the Port Tunnel the route is:
    Right onto East Wall Road - North Strand - Seville Place - Guild Street - Samuel Beckett Bridge

Alternatively you could continue straight on from Ballybough routing through Fairview, Malahide Road, N32 and M1.

Seville Place is already a major traffic artery.

There are however many other journeys that will benefit from the bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Walked over the bridge the night before it was opened to traffic and drove over it for the first time today.

First off: it is a beautiful structure and one which, in aesthetic terms, I am glad we shelled out the money to pay for. A public monument such as that improves the city for everyone.

But.....this is not just a monument, it is supposed to be a functional item. One that has a utilitarian purpose, and on first examination, I am at a loss to know what it is.

I drove from the south inner city to the airport. Down Macken St and over the bridge. No right turn on to the north quays. OKayeee. Go straight on and take the next right. Encouraged by the prominent filter lane encouraging everybody to do so. Then you come to a big dead end. I was not the only person so deceived. Everybody else that made that turn ended up doing a youeee and heading back to the quays.

Coming back from the airport I came down the east wall road and right on to the quays. No LEFT turn on to the bridge. Helloo!! So I turned right and ended up in Seville Place which from what I can gather after consulting a map is the ONLY place you can drive to heading from south to north. A very residential area and hardly a suitable place for a major traffic artery.

All of this is compounded by the god awful signage or rather the complete lack of same. What is it with the "Ah sure Jaysus everyone knows that" attitude of the people with responsibility for our roads?

Tomorrow I will take out the old gluaistean and check out a few more absurdities. Can one turn right for example, from East Wall Road into Sherrif St and from there left into Guild St? If one can't then there would seem to be no alternative to driving through heavily residential areas to make use of the bridge.

I must confess to having little sympathy for people who say of the streets in which they live that the very people who pay for their upkeep, ie those who tax their cars legitimately, should not be allowed use them, but at the same time, if there are wide thoroughfares in the area then these SHOULD be the ones which motorists should be encouraged to use. It's only common sense.

Please let this wonderful new structure not become another victim of blinkered governmental small mindedness.

Hmm! I could not agree with you more.

Only a moron, an idiot or obviously a DCC "traffic engineer" could possibly imagine that the traffic flow is correctly engineeered from this bridge.

Whoever organised the signage (what signage?) presumably ran out of crayons and art paper. It's needs to be resolved now not later.

Put as much pressure on your loacal TD's to have the traffic flow redesigned in an appropriate manner and not in the moronic DCC manner.

KC61 wrote: »
    I can only assume that you used the Port Tunnel to/from the airport? Then yes the new bridge will be of limited use to you. However, it is possible to access the Port Tunnel from the bridge.

The route to the Port Tunnel is:
    Samuel Beckett Bridge - Guild Street - Seville Place - Portland Row - Summerhill - Ballybough Road - Poplar Row - East Wall Road and left to Port Tunnel.

Well thanks for that. Who needs GPS eh? :D

But seriously, do you not think my current route (ie Pearse St, Butt Bridge, Custom House Quay, North Wall Quay to roundabout makes a lot more sense?

Why would you go as far as Summerhil and then turn back INTO the city to get to the tunnel? If you get that far out, you're as well heading on to Dorset St and straight on out.

I reckon anybody from Ballsbridge, Ranelagh, Donnybrook etc who would be heading for the airport or the M1 would go that way except at times of peak traffic when they might consider that the journey to the toll bridge might be a little less congested than heading into the centre of town.

Of course, you mightn't want to pay the premium toll on the tunnel at such times anyway.

See how it all pans out in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭pauld

Hi, working in Sir John Rogersons quay, I hope to use the bridge tonight for the first time drviing home to Clontarf. Hvaing read through the thread I am not sure if I can get to Clontarf by going over the bridge, can anyone advise the route (if any) using the SBB.

Well thanks for that. Who needs GPS eh? :D

But seriously, do you not think my current route (ie Pearse St, Butt Bridge, Custom House Quay, North Wall Quay to roundabout makes a lot more sense?

Why would you go as far as Summerhil and then turn back INTO the city to get to the tunnel? If you get that far out, you're as well heading on to Dorset St and straight on out.

I reckon anybody from Ballsbridge, Ranelagh, Donnybrook etc who would be heading for the airport or the M1 would go that way except at times of peak traffic when they might consider that the journey to the toll bridge might be a little less congested than heading into the centre of town.

Of course, you mightn't want to pay the premium toll on the tunnel at such times anyway.

See how it all pans out in the future.

To be honest it's about 6 of one half a dozen of the other, especially if the north quays are full of traffic.

You're not actually heading towards the city from Summerhill. You are heading East Southeast along Poplar Row and East Wall Road.

pauld wrote: »
    Hi, working in Sir John Rogersons quay, I hope to use the bridge tonight for the first time drviing home to Clontarf. Hvaing read through the thread I am not sure if I can get to Clontarf by going over the bridge, can anyone advise the route (if any) using the SBB.

Samuel Beckett Bridge - Guild Street - Seville Place - Portland Row - Right onto Summerhill - Ballybough Road - Straight onto Fairview Strand and then onto Fairview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭pauld

kc61 thanks - sorry I should have mentioned via east wall and turning right onto alfie byrne road, I assuming that is not possible?

paul

• Advertisement

You could also go:

Samuel Beckett Bridge - Guild Street - Seville Place - Portland Row - Right onto Summerhill - Ballybough Road - Right onto Poplar Row - straight onto East Wall Road - left to Alfie Byrne Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

I live about equidistant between Butt Bridge and the East Link bridge. Why should I go out of my way to pay a toll? I will continue to use the Butt Bridge route for my journeys to the North Side. It would be nice if I could use the bridge that is nearest to me, ie the SBB, but the planners have made that impossible.
    Crossing Butt bridge is not entirely free. You have to pay with your time while waiting in traffic and burning fuel. The eastlink toll is a fraction of the tunnel toll so I'm not sure why you're so keen to avoid one toll and not the other smaller one (perhaps you are in a commercial vehicle that gets free travel in the tunnel).

The tolls in Dublin at the moment are all levied on people avoiding the city centre (eastlink, westlink and tunnel). It would be better to levy a congestion charge on entering the city rather than avoiding it.

There are two bus lanes on the bridge, so I wonder what bus routes are planned.

Just because bus lanes are there does not mean that bus routes are planned.

Local councils have been known to design new roads with full bus lanes in the hope that bus routes will use them without actually asking the bus companies if they plan services along those routes.

An example of this was DLRCOCO implementing bus lanes along the Wyckham Bypass, despite the fact that the 14, 14A, 48A and 75 all operate along Ballinteer Road where all the housing is. They subsequently expressed disappointment that DB did not route any buses along that road!!!

Given the restrictions on traffic I would be very surprised if DB use the bridge at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

you will find that it is not the council but the QBN office that requests to have bus lanes on new roads and bridges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

A lot of this stuff was specified in the EIS when the bridge was being planned and concerns of people who actually have to live on Macken St and Guild St were being taken into account. It's not as simple as just ignoring all that stuff now.

See for example

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2000/07/02/story864745928.asp

• Advertisement

you will find that it is not the council but the QBN office that requests to have bus lanes on new roads and bridges.

In the case of the Wyckham by-pass it was DLRCOCO and not the QBN office that specified it, as at that time the QBN office was not in situ.

I have a real problem with the signage and the utter stupidity of the positioning of the sole VMS sign that was erected. It is absolutely useless as an advance warning sign for a bridge that can open. Whoever decided it should go there is negligent and should be out of a job for wasting public money. Then again, we should be used to a paucity of signage. DCC don't seem to think it's part of their roads department brief. Anybody seen the new Parking direction signs they have been putting up?

However, I'm not sure why people think that the bridge is not serving them (apart from those working in the immediate environs north and south of the bridge). It seems to me that the SBB will give an option to the East Link and reduce the traffic on the Pearse/Tara St corridor.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

BrianD wrote: »
    I have a real problem with the signage and the utter stupidity of the positioning of the sole VMS sign that was erected....

Dublin City Council erected more than just one new electronic sign in the last few weeks. They are for general use and not just deigned for the new bridge.

monument wrote: »
    Dublin City Council erected more than just one new electronic sign in the last few weeks. They are for general use and not just deigned for the new bridge.

The one I'm referring to seems to be linked to bridge operations and is located on Cardiff Lane. It also has flashing amber lights on it.

I've seen the other ones around town as well. Poorly positioned, no ambient adjustment on the LED brightness and they just look scrappy. It's ironic that DCC would have problems with Dublin Bus putting up bus shelters on the quays and can still put up these VMS. I'm all for VMS but there's nothing aesthetic. Great free advertising for DCAL FM though. Local knowledge is also required to understand that the numbers refer to car parking spaces. Not every motorist driving through Dublin might understand that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The eastlink toll is a fraction of the tunnel toll so I'm not sure why you're so keen to avoid one toll and not the other smaller one

Eur1.70 vs EUR3.00 almost all the time.
    one gets you from the M1 to the port, one gets you across the Liffey in parallel with a bridge that you can't use.

Crossing Butt bridge is not entirely free. You have to pay with your time while waiting in traffic and burning fuel. The eastlink toll is a fraction of the tunnel toll so I'm not sure why you're so keen to avoid one toll and not the other smaller one (perhaps you are in a commercial vehicle that gets free travel in the tunnel).

Like I said earlier. I live about equidistant between Butt Bridge and the East Link. Furthermore, as I said earlier,for most people living in Ballsbridge, Donybrook, Ranelagh it is actually easier and less time consuming, in all but the heaviest traffic, to drive to Butt Bridge rather than take the massive detour through such goat tracks as Bath Avenue and Londonbridge Road to get to a bridge you have to pay a toll on. And OK, so it's cheaper than the tunnel in absolute terms but nowhere near as good value for money. Plus, all those tolls add up after a while.

Anyway I'VE CRACKED HOW TO GET TO THE TUNNEL VIA THE NEW BRIDGE!!!

Coming from the south side, cross the bridge, turn LEFT down Custom House Quay and then take a right into Commons Street. After a little you bear right into Upper Oriel Street and then take a right into Seville Place. Then bear left into Upper Sherrif Street and that will take you to the East Wall Road.

It's still a bit of a palaver and you might not save that much time compared with going all the way into Butt Bridge and taking the more direct route out along the quays. But it's a damn sight better than the Grand Tour of Summerhill suggested by KC61.

The right turn into Seville Place could be a bit tricky in heavy traffic as there is an inconveniently sited pedestrian crossing just there which might curtail your movements. Leave it to trial and error.

A lot of this stuff was specified in the EIS when the bridge was being planned and concerns of people who actually have to live on Macken St and Guild St were being taken into account. It's not as simple as just ignoring all that stuff now.

See for example

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2000/07/02/story864745928.asp

Interesting passage from that article.

"The bridge is designed to take traffic away from the O'Connell Street bridge, Butt bridge and Talbot bridge and also further open up the docklands area. The bridge will play a central role in linking the IFSC development and the recently launched #1.5 billion Grand Canal Quay development."

The traffic management currently in place acts AGAINST those design intentions. It is clearly intended, in practice, to facilitate people coming from the southern and eastern parts of the city and heading right through the Docklands Area to the north western part of the city.

Also, that article is nearly 10 years old. In the interim much of the environment has changed. Two major changes include:

1. There is now a ban on heavy goods vehicles entering the city, so that would remove at a stroke much of the legitimate concerns of residents who feared juggernauts thundering down their streets.

2. Much of the long distance traffic that used to stream through to the north west is now diverted up the M1 and port tunnel.
    Ten years ago, if you were travelling to Monaghan, Donegal or Derry you would be heading through Glasnevin and Finglas on to the Ashbourne Road. The bridge and its current traffic flows would certainly have helped facilitate journeys originating in South East Dublin along that route.

Only that is no longer the route one takes to those destinations. With the upgrades to the M1 including the Boyne Bridge and the Drogheda bypass, not to mention the tunnel, you head straight up the motorway and cut across to pick up the N2 north of Ardee. I know this journey well. I make it frequently.

The only irritating part of it is the two tolls you have to pay for the tunnel and the Boyne Bridge. But they are worth the savings in journey time they deliver. For people in my part of the city, the East Link bridge is a toll too many.

So we don't use it.

I think the traffic management people should do the decent thing, fairly quickly, and just allow traffic to and from the East Wall to turn directly to from the new bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If you were going to the N2 from South East Dublin the best route would have been via Bride St/Christ Church, not through the city centre.

That's the thing - the EIS was written 10 years ago. Things have changed, but that's still the EIS, and for now the findings stand.

It's still a bit of a palaver and you might not save that much time compared with going all the way into Butt Bridge and taking the more direct route out along the quays. But it's a damn sight better than the Grand Tour of Summerhill suggested by KC61.

Thanks - I was only trying to help.You had implied that it was impossible to do and I was merely pointing out that it was actually possible to do.

Out of curiosity you might just time the three routes and see how they compare?

Thanks - I was only trying to help.You had implied that it was impossible to do and I was merely pointing out that it was actually possible to do.

Please don't think I was sniping at you. I said thank you at the time and I meant it. :)

In point of fact I have to make a weekly off-peak trip to Sherrif St so I will time out both those routes (via Butt Bridge + Quays) and via SBB + Commons St and post my findings after a few weeks. But this trip does NOT take place in peak traffic hours.

• Advertisement

Please don't think I was sniping at you. I said thank you at the time and I meant it. :)

In point of fact I have to make a weekly off-peak trip to Sherrif St so I will time out both those routes (via Butt Bridge + Quays) and via SBB + Commons St and post my findings after a few weeks. But this trip does NOT take place in peak traffic hours.

No problem, but it would be interesting to see how the three routes compare in peak traffic.

I somehow think that the "grand tour" might actually not take as long as you might expect!!!

If you were going to the N2 from South East Dublin the best route would have been via Bride St/Christ Church, not through the city centre.

Nope. Never ever went that way in 30 years. Always up Gardiner St, Dorset St, Whitworth Road, Finglas Road. That was the same route the CIE buses used to follow until the tunnel was built and now they go out to the airport, and up the motorway to cut across beyond Ardee as described.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I think the traffic management people should do the decent thing, fairly quickly, and just allow traffic to and from the East Wall to turn directly to from the new bridge.

I have little doubt but that after a period of reflection the relevant Minister(s) will use their executive powers to commission a feasibility study into the Economic and Social impact of amending the original EIS.

Then,they will put the commissing of the report out to competitive tender and after a suitable interval the successful tenderer will be announced.

Following receipt of the completed report at some future date,the Minister(s) will appoint a 5 person implimentation group with executive powers reporting directly to the Cabinet....

Alternatively....one could cycle down there with a small bag of spanners and....... :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

Someone told me yesterday that you can head towards the o2 from SBB by "going around the block" by taking a right to Common St, right to Mayor St, right to Guild St and left to North Wall quay. Are these all legal turns? the right to Mayor St from Common St is the one I've doubts about.

Someone told me yesterday that you can head towards the o2 from SBB by "going around the block" by taking a right to Common St, right to Mayor St, right to Guild St and left to North Wall quay. Are these all legal turns? the right to Mayor St from Common St is the one I've doubts about.

It is! From the southside, I would cross bridge, turn left onto Northwall Quay westbound, right on lights onto Commons St., right onto Mayor St., then right onto Guild, left onto Northwall.

There's also a handy shortcut from Northwall Quay to avoid the left turn onto the bridge. PM me if you want it. I'm afraid that DCC will close it down!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

There's also a handy shortcut from Northwall Quay to avoid the left turn onto the bridge. PM me if you want it. I'm afraid that DCC will close it down!!

BrianD...they Know where you live !!!!! :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Jip wrote: »
    They need to sort out the lanes on Grand Canal Street where the new lights are at the Macken Street junction. There's a couple of parking spaces just before the new lights heading towards the city so what's been happening since they were put in is that traffic waiting for the filter to turn right onto Macken Street hold up traffic trying to go straight if there's cars parked in the spaces leading to bloody tailbacks, there's no room for traffic to go straight as the parked cars and the right turning traffic hold it up. The 2 or 3 spaces that are there need to be removed, otherwise traffic is going to be pretty bad there.

Looks like they sorted it out sometime between last Thursday and Monday morning as the parking spaces in question have now been removed and fresh double yellow lines have replaced them so traffic is able to flow better now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

BrianD wrote: »
    There's also a handy shortcut from Northwall Quay to avoid the left turn onto the bridge.
    That is very pushy, you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Huh? Are you mad ? :)

I do travel from the South East(Ringsend direction) to the N3 and have to get to the N2 first using the bridge.

Would love to know how your route beats Snickermans one(and mine!).

Jip wrote:
    Looks like they sorted it out sometime between last Thursday and Monday morning as the parking spaces in question have now been removed and fresh double yellow lines have replaced them so traffic is able to flow better now.

Can they sort out the parking at Hanover St East to Misery Hill crossing as well?

As traffic now do a right turn onto Misery Hill from Macken St direction, those going on straight for the bridge move left to pass this traffic and encounter parking at start of Cardiff Lane(around the corner from Hanover St E). The street cannot cope with '3 lanes' in one direction so its a free for all and coupled with traffic trying to cross from Hanover St E itself to Misery Hill, its damn dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Are there solid white lines in the centre of the road preventing U-turns on after these no-right-turn areas?
    like can you head up the north quay, past the bridge, u-turn then turn right onto the new bridge?

or head South to North across the quay, uturn and left on the the north quay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Are there solid white lines in the centre of the road preventing U-turns on after these no-right-turn areas?
    like can you head up the north quay, past the bridge, u-turn then turn right onto the new bridge?

or head South to North across the quay, uturn and left on the the north quay?

Havent noticed any on the North Wall quay westside. Taxi's do the u-turns so why not everyone else :P

It was congested at Seville Place this morning, alot of people must be learning about the new route now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

...walked the bridge this morning and no, it didn't wobble very much as one or two suggested - it's nothing like the Sean O'Casey Bridge although I do enjoy walking that particular bridge. The Beckett Bridge itself feels much more ordinary for walking on, but one does get a sense of scale when it comes to the arched pylon (and cables) - it's magnificent looking when viewed from the South Bank. :) The bridge also looks really well at night - I regularly passed it on my return commute. :) They only criticism I'd have would be the surfacing on the walkways/cycleways - it's rather cheap looking! :(

Regards! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I work in town around grand canal mostly and now I get home much quicker and easier compared to having to go down Pearse street.

I live in Fairview so I drive down Macken street/Cardiff Ln to get to the bridge. Cross the bridge and go straight up Guild street and go past the NO RGHT TURN turn onto Sheriff street and at my earliest convenience do a U-turn or enter a street and turn my car around and head back towards the bridge. (NOT ILLEGAL) I then turn leftt onto sheriff street and take a left onto the East Road. From there I can cut tru east wall or go to the east wall road or wherever I want. The one thing I find particularly stupid is the Lights they have put at Johnny Cullens hill which restrict traffic to take turns at going up and down this road. :confused: This is incredibly stupid. Its stupid beyond belief. This used to be a two way road and its not like this road is choc-a-bloc with traffic. All these lights do is annoy you and hold you up for 30 seconds.

MY POINT......... No matter how smart the planners thought it would be to reduce traffic by having no LEFT/RIGHT turns I will continue to do u-turns and find ways to get into these streets. Same goes for crossing the bridge from North wall Quay. I go past the NO LEFT TURN and do a u-turn in the road wherever I can and cross the bridge from the opposite direction.

Its just stupid. But I love the bridge. The good outways the bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

You could also go:

Samuel Beckett Bridge - Guild Street - Seville Place - Portland Row - Right onto Summerhill - Ballybough Road - Right onto Poplar Row - straight onto East Wall Road - left to Alfie Byrne Road.

Open to correction but I don't think you can turn right from Ballybough Road to Poplar Row.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭candyman

GSPfan wrote: »
    I will continue to do u-turns and find ways to get into these streets.

The medal is in the post mate...

• Advertisement

GSPfan wrote: »
    I work in town around grand canal mostly and now I get home much quicker and easier compared to having to go down Pearse street.

I live in Fairview so I drive down Macken street/Cardiff Ln to get to the bridge. Cross the bridge and go straight up Guild street and go past the NO RGHT TURN turn onto Sheriff street and at my earliest convenience do a U-turn or enter a street and turn my car around and head back towards the bridge. (NOT ILLEGAL) I then turn leftt onto sheriff street and take a left onto the East Road. From there I can cut tru east wall or go to the east wall road or wherever I want. The one thing I find particularly stupid is the Lights they have put at Johnny Cullens hill which restrict traffic to take turns at going up and down this road. :confused: This is incredibly stupid. Its stupid beyond belief. This used to be a two way road and its not like this road is choc-a-bloc with traffic. All these lights do is annoy you and hold you up for 30 seconds.

MY POINT......... No matter how smart the planners thought it would be to reduce traffic by having no LEFT/RIGHT turns I will continue to do u-turns and find ways to get into these streets. Same goes for crossing the bridge from North wall Quay. I go past the NO LEFT TURN and do a u-turn in the road wherever I can and cross the bridge from the opposite direction.

Its just stupid. But I love the bridge. The good outways the bad.

That's disgraceful behaviour and hopefully the law will catch up with your selfish action. If the new bridge does not suit your routing then use your old one but do not use it to justify bad driving that at worst will cause a road accident or a best delay other motorists who can use the bridge as part of their routing. It is people like you that cause traffic delays in Dublin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

There was a guy on Mooney's program on RTE Radio1 yesterday arguing that it should have been named the Oscar Wilde Bridge because the design is so flamboyant!
    In his opinion a Samuel Beckett Bridge should have an ultra-minimal design ...

Makes sense, but then what about the James Joyce bridge?
    If its design followed the above logic you would get about 1/4 of the way across before turning back in bewilderment:D But you'd still tell everyone it was an amazing bridge and you hoped to cross it someday ...

Sorry, maybe I should have posted this in the Literature forum:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭obi604

Speaking of disgraceful, I seen your man Gavin Duffy ( from Irish Dragons Den ) in his massive car the other morning.

He was coming from the point and headin in towards town, and not a bother on him, took the left on to the Samuel Beckett Bridge when its clearly illegal

he probbaly thinks he is above the law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

obi604 wrote: »
    Speaking of disgraceful, I seen your man Gavin Duffy ( from Irish Dragons Den ) in his massive car the other morning.

He was coming from the point and headin in towards town, and not a bother on him, took the left on to the Samuel Beckett Bridge when its clearly illegal

he probbaly thinks he is above the law

€60 and 1 penalty point of caught. Hardly a deterrent if you have the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

robd wrote: »
    €60 and 1 penalty point of caught. Hardly a deterrent if you have the money.

Didn't somebody mention that to make this left is to conflict with pedestrians on a green phase? This could merit a stiffer penalty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement