Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lampard calls into radio show

• 24-04-2009 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/chelsea/article6161967.ece
    The full transcript of Frank Lampard’s appearance on James O’Brien’s LBC 97.3 radio show:

James O’Brien: The contention is that you’re painted as a bit of rat in the papers...

Frank Lampard: I’m not sure about being painted in the papers as a bit or rat. The reason I’m calling in is my sister just called me up and said she had been listening to the show and she was slightly distressed particularly by your comments calling me weak and scum. Is that right?

First of all you’re incorrect to say that anyway, my situation is where is I’ve split up as a lot of people do that across the board, regardless what profession you are.

Unfortunately I have split up with my girlfriend and my kids will never ever live in inferior circumstances.

I just caught the end of your conversation with a gentlemen then and you said that, about people that are working and about their kids and it should be all about their kids.

And that’s exactly how I live my live now, everything do in my career in football terms, before I had kids it was all for myself and since I’ve had kids, every penny I earn and every ounce and every yard I run on the football pitch is for my kids.

Unfortunately I’ve split up with my girlfriend so they’re now living in a temporary flat in Fulham Chelsea and it’s not a bad flat at all and I’m actually buying a house at the moment which is of equal living standard if not more to mine.

James: But they’re not waking up in bedrooms that they’ve known all their lives?

Frank: Unfortunately you’re wrong because you don’t know the terms of my thing but when I split up with my girlfriend… let me explain to you what happened she was actually out in a club or a bar and someone came up and approached her and didn’t actually say they was a journalist and actually got her talking after she’d had a few drinks and caught her at the wrong time.

Unfortunately when you spilt up obviously you’re not going to carry on living in the same place, that’s a fact l life. Unfortunately that means, and it hurts me every day when I wake up and my kids are not there, but when you split up, as anyone will tell you, you’re not going to carry on living together.

Luckily I have a relationship with my ex-girlfriend where we have decided where we’re going to share custody of them. So for three nights of the week, half the nights of week, and I’m away probably two to three nights with my football anyway, the kids wake up in my house.

I look after my kids solely, I have a nanny that comes but I spend all he time with my kids. I wake up if my kids wake up at three in the morning, if they wake up at six in the morning regardless of if I have a football match or not. They wake up in the bedrooms I decorated for them and that’s what I always do.

James: But not at the moment, but that’s the plan for the immediate future?

Frank: No that’s what they’re doing at moment, I don’t know what made you think that they’re not.

James: I’m only going by what has been printed in the newspapers.

Frank: Where did it say they’re not staying with me anyway?

James (reads Elen’s quotes): She said: “I’m in small flat waiting for my own flat with our two daughters, he is in our house which he has turned into a batchelor pad”.

Frank: Where did it say they are not staying in our house?

James: If you describe something as a bachelor pad, Frank, the general assumption is going to be that it’s not a family home.

Frank: That was her description when she was drunk, yes, the problem is you read the papers now, if you’re going to be a man that reads the papers and takes everything as gospel truth and start calling people weak and scum that’s a sign of how you are, that’s not a sign of the reality.

Luckily enough the last caller heard there shows there are some genuine people out there.

James: That is the nature of what I do, my phone lines are wide open and people can call up and call me an idiot people can call me what ever they want. You’ll accept that the 60 million people in this country don’t have the privilege of calling up Frank Lampard for his side of the story, they’re going to read what they see in the papers and draw up their own conclusions.

Frank: That doesn’t make it right that they draw the conclusion you are making, which is a completely negative one. You are calling me weak and scum.

James: I was asking questions to which you are providing some answers. For me if you’ve got little girls and this is going to sound awful, I have little girls of three and one, I can’t conceive of any circumstances in which I wouldn’t fight tooth and flipping nail to hold my family together.

Frank: Excuse me, what do you think I’ve been doing for the last two years? Let me tell you something now, my mother died a year ago today, which has been a huge impact on my life, my family’s life and my sister’s life. And unfortunately that’s had a huge impact on my relationship at home.

And there is nothing, I wish I could do a lot about, but unfortunately I can’t do nothing about that. But I find it insulting that you’re telling me you would fight tooth and nail and insinuating that I wouldn’t fight tooth and nail. That’s what I’ve spent my time doing.

You don’t know anything about me and you’re insinuating I’m weak and scum because I haven’t fought tooth and nail. The hardest part of this whole break up for me is not waking up with my kids every day.

So before you start insinuating and calling people weak and scum on a radio station, getting on a high horse which you are, cos I hope one day that your wife or your girlfriend doesn’t come to you and say I don’t want to be with you anymore and unfortunately that means you wont see the kids for a few days a week. That will hurt with you as well but you’d have to deal with it.

Advertisement

James: It would break my heart Frank.

Frank: Yeah and it’s breaking my heart, do you think I’m happy?

James: Of course I don’t think you’re happy that’s why I’m delighted to take the opportunity to have your say.

Frank: Then you should stop insinuating...

James: I’m not insinuating anything Frank, I’m merely describing a news story my friend and I appreciate you...

Frank: You’re saying any man that let’s his kids life in inferior circumstances to him is weak and scum.

James: Yes I am saying that and you’re telling me you’re not that man, so in a way you agree with me.

Frank: Yeah, but you’re insinuating about me...

James: So I was describing a news story. Let’s not get...

Frank: Listen, at the time you were saying that statement you were talking about me. Correct or not?

The last conversation I heard was about me. My sister has been listening for the last half an hour and the conversation was about me.

James: I’m not going to apologise to you for reading out a story from a newspaper and drawing generalistic questions. For what it’s worth, you have explained yourself absolutely brilliantly.

Anything that has been said on this radio station in response to comments that were genuinely given by your former partner, there is no speculation there.

Frank: I agree with you there completely, the unfortunate thing about this is that my ex-girlfriend she didn’t grow up in this life at all.

Unfortunately I have to live this in the public eye. Now someone has approached my ex-girlfriend, pretending to be friendly, caught her at a moment where she is a little bit drunk and down or whatever and got a load stuff out of her.

At the same time you’re saying that people have a right to discuss that, unfortunately it’s what many other women have done in a bar or a coffee house or in a club or anywhere when they have split up with someone.

Unfortunately mine gets splashed across the papers and leaves it open for people like you to make accusations and innuendos and things about people, which is very unfortunate right?

My ex-girlfriend is very distressed about the situation cos she didn’t want that to come out. She can have her private thoughts about me and speak to her close friends. Someone has conned her basically. She has been conned. And by being conned and then comes out as a pure quote like she has sold her story.

She gave her story away in a moment of weakness. That’s the statement of the culture of England and Britain that someone would try to con a personal statement out of you to then be broadcast everywhere for everyone to debate.

James: I hear you. That’s an accurate description of how modern media works. Rightly or wrongly.

Frank: And you’re part of it. If you choose to earn your living like that, then that’s fair enough.

James: Well I’m not as good at football as you or I’d probably rather be doing what you’re doing. Is there no chance at all, Frank, of this relationship being rescued?

Frank: Listen I’ve spoken much too much about my private life today already – I didn’t expect to have a phone call with your this morning. So I’ll leave it there thank you.

James: So you won’t give us a quick rundown on your thoughts for the champions league semi final then.

Frank: No, I certainly won’t.

Fair play to him.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

i have gained a new respect for this man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

As have I.

Well done Frank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

He's an absolute class act. Fair play to him for not only having the balls to do that, but to not make any glaring mistakes that could be used for soundbites against him and not calling the presenter names

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Just because the bloke does his job in the public eye doesn't mean his family life should be fair game as well.

Well done Frank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

James: So you won’t give us a quick rundown on your thoughts for the champions league semi final then.

Frank: No, I certainly won’t.

lmfao

worth a try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Why the hell did you have to go and do that Frank !
    Now I actually have some respect for you, no more of this stuff, I don't want to end up liking you :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Well done Frank and he didn't fall into a trap of using explicitives to get his point of view across .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

slight overuse of "Insinuate" by fat frank ..... although as others have said ...fair play to him. (tough to go through a break-up ...especially when its all over the papers)

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Nice one Frank, came across very well.

Cant believe hes not in PFA list, top drawer footballer

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I don't really understand why he is so disliked by some folk. He seems like one of the better ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Lampard, you complete and utter legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Advantages of a good education there, he comes across as much more well spoken and thoughtful than his interviewer.

It's an unfortunate situation, we've all been through break-ups, I'd not have been able to do something like that so calmly.

Can't be easy for a guy like that to work in such a high stress environment and deal with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

That's absolute quality, well thought out and articulate.

I don't think Steven Gerrard would have done so well

[ debate ]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Fair play to Frank. Defended his patch well there. That O'Brien fella doesn't look half smarmy.
    james_close_head1667899385.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Pighead wrote: »
    Fair play to Frank. Defended his patch well there. That O'Brien fella doesn't look half smarmy.
    james_close_head1667899385.jpg

I was going to ask a question about his partner and two kids but i fear i'll be banned.

ntlbell wrote: »
    I was going to ask a question about his partner and two kids but i fear i'll be banned.

do it! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

So, absolutely nothing to do with football then.

Don't understand why Lampard is (or was) so disliked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

That James O'Brien guy sounds like filth, fair play to Lampard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

[ debate ]

No need for such debate. Its good when these trashy hacks get pulled up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Here's the call:

Good on ya, Frank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I don't really understand why he is so disliked by some folk. He seems like one of the better ones.

I agree completely, always thought he came across well both on the pitch and in interviews.

Never liked Lampard, probably never will but fair balls to him for ringing in the first place and also for doing it so well. Moves him up a notch in my estimation, even if it is only notch 1.

[ debate ]
    Why Stephen Gerrard ? Lots of footballers cant string to words together and some make better tv / radio interviewers than others .

Wayne Rooney is only young but comes across as fairly articulate in his interviews with the medja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

ntlbell wrote: »
    ah sure ya'll be fine. Please go ahead. Please

Latchy wrote: »
    Why Stephen Gerrard ? Lots of footballers cant string to words together and some make better tv / radio interviewers than others .

Wayne Rooney is only young but comes across as fairly articulate in his interviews with the medja

dont think it was a pop at Stevie MBE in fairness latchy. just that lampard & gerrard are always pitted against eachother & compared due to the talent they both posess and their place in the England team etc etc.

in other words, i'm presuming it was a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

[ debate ]
    What has that got to do with anything?

:facepalm:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭chalad07

Yup fair play to Frank. It's great to see a player who just doesnt accept that all areas of his life are up for public scrutiny.

He's a class act, and alot of players could learn a lot from him, both on and off the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Well done Frank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Not a fan of Lampard but he came across very well in the interview, fair play to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭corban

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    dont think it was a pop at Stevie MBE in fairness latchy. just that lampard & gerrard are always pitted against eachother & compared due to the talent they both posess and their place in the England team etc etc.

Ah i know ,both talented footballers who dont seem to fit together in the same England team plan . I was just thinking some footballers are quite media savy and well rounded on most non -footballing subjects .Frank Lampard's reply to that 'geezer ' on the radio is quite positive imo .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

gwan frank.
    saw it on sky today and kay burley took the piss out of that o brien fella. sounds like a w@nker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I hate tabloid journos.

Fair play for Lamps for calling up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Legend

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I was never a fan but his certaibly climbed the charts. Well done. And like des said, that's why i too hate tablods journos.

And like a tabloid journalist, you cut and paste and twist, you're awful - PD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Advantages of a good education there, he comes across as much more well spoken and thoughtful than his interviewer.

I also don't understand why Lampard is/was apparently disliked by people? Always comes across pretty well and seems a bit more intelligent and articulate than the average permiership footballer, not to mention being a top class player.

Fair play to him for doing that too, scummy tabloid hacks shouldn't be allowed to just run amok and think they can write/say whatever they like without being challenged. It just shows how so much of what is written in rags like the sun and the notw is twisted and distorted to suit the sensationalist agenda. As they say, never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Always liked Lampard. Great player and always came across as one of footballs good guys.

Good on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Well done Frank. Took balls to ring in and he expressed himself very very well. With it being so personal to him it's amazing how well he came across. He handled the radio host really well and even got an apology out of him!

Again, fair play Frank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Jazzy wrote: »
    gwan frank.
    saw it on sky today and kay burley took the piss out of that o brien fella. sounds like a w@nker

Kay Burley isn't that far removed from that guy in fairness.

Well done Frank, I thought he was going to start cursing there for a minute but he kept it together, kept his cool.

JPA wrote: »
    Kay Burley isn't that far removed from that guy in fairness.

What about the insult handed out by the female bbc interviewer ( forget her name) to the jockey, on grand national day about his teeth .? I would have sued the BBC for those comments she made ,if only to get one back on her .Other people have done it for ' hurt feelings ' and won decent sums .
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Latchy wrote: »
    What about the insult handed out by the female bbc interviewer ( forget her name) to the jockey, on grand national day about his teeth .? I would have sued the BBC for those comments she made ,if only to get one back on her .Other people have done it for ' hurt feelings ' and won decent sums .
    :pac:

Agreed, what a stuck-up bitch. That was cringeworthy, had to feel for the jockey. Talk about bringing a guy crashing down to earth in the moment when he should have been enjoying the pinnacle of his career.

Fair deuce to Frank. Those so-called journalists like the guy who got Frank's ex to pour her heart to him, and like the News of the World's "Arab Sheikh" who caught out both Sven Goran Eriksson and most recently the father of one of the child stars of Slumdog Millionaire are the lowest of the low. If they were police they'd be guilty of entrapment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I've had a new found respect for Frank since he decided to play and take the penalty against Liverpool last year after his mother died. This just adds to his general respect points..

Pity he's gonna be CL medal-less again this season though... ;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Mr Alan wrote: »

never thought I'd say this, but thank you Mr Alan
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

Of all the times to have to go back to Upton Park. Super job by Frank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Always had him down as top bloke.. Ultimate professional and he handled himself well... I hate bloody tabloid journos... They are the scum of the earth!

Well done frank!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

I've never really had a negative opinion on Lampard.
    I was quite surprised and impressed by the way he made his point there.
    The surprise is probably down to me having some stereotyped, baseless, negative image of top-flight footballers.

As another poster said, he overused 'insinuated' but that aside he
    really came across well.
    That radio guy comes across as a right slimeball.

Anywho, well done Lampard and now, back to concentrating on hating Ashley Cole.

Anywho, well done Lampard and now, back to concentrating on hating Ashley Cole.

You hear he is working on a cure for cancer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

O'Brien was on sky news, was saying that just because Frank is famous theres a big deal being made of it. But I think he's missing the point, just because he's famous he gets all sorts of horrible lies written about him in the media and he was adding to the crap and for once the person in question stood up for himself.
    He was wrong about what he said and has yet to apologise for it. I can't believe he has the neck to stand by what he said, bloody ridiculous.

• Advertisement
Advertisement