Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

submitting webpage without ftp

Options
  • 24-04-2009 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

hi
    i have a small social website i maintain for a group of friends.
    my friends send me the content and i put it in html format
    and upload it to website

is it possible for me to create a html template on my website.
    my friends can login to the page and submit the content
    and it uploads to a particular section directly.

is this possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Yes it is possible, in a near endless amount of ways.

Depends a lot on the content of the site and the capabilites of the server hosting it.

How about using something like Wordpress?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

hi
    i have a small social website i maintain for a group of friends.
    my friends send me the content and i put it in html format
    and upload it to website

is it possible for me to create a html template on my website.
    my friends can login to the page and submit the content
    and it uploads to a particular section directly.

is this possible?

You should consider rebuilding the site in Wordpress, which means they'll be adding the content directly to the site, without anyone ftping anything. It'll make it all easier to manage, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Does wordpress allow for threaded posts w/ images or is it only Blog post + Image and then comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

kevteljeur wrote: »
    You should consider rebuilding the site in Wordpress, which means they'll be adding the content directly to the site, without anyone ftping anything. It'll make it all easier to manage, too.

then will i lose my left hand menu options, top header bar menu options?
    i was looking at wordpress and it has no options for normal webpages...its like a blog am i right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Wordpress can do regular content pages too. If the main purpose of the site is not blogging, maybe look at some of the dedicated content management systems like Joomla or cmsmadesimple.

Using a CMS, the navigation system is added to when you add a page, so you will need to bear that in mind. If your existing navigation system is css based you can modify thye cms menu to match your menu, but it it uses image-based multistate buttons, you cant use this in a cms scenario. You'll need to know your way around a webserver and some php chops will be handy of you want to go the cms route.

Another option is to use something like adobe contribute which allows an editor to fill in the editable sections of a dreamweaver template and ftp it. It is overpriced, not widely used and being made redundant by CMSs. Wouldnt recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

i was looking at wordpress and it has no options for normal webpages...its like a blog am i right?

Not true, the new version of wordpress allows very easily for including static pages and then you can use the blog page for news or as a blog. So you can make a normal website quite easily with it and allow updating of pages just like a CMS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

Wordpress has, for the last 3 years or so, had static pages. It's basically a CMS, packaged as a blogging system. But I've built solid CMS sites with it too, it doesn't lack much, and will do what 90%+ of sites need.

The latest versions are really very good. The other thing is the plugin environment; Wordpress itself is pretty lean, but you can get good plugins to add functionality, depending on what you need. You might need to build your own templates to make full use of them, on the other hand there is loads of documentation to help do it. I can't recommend Wordpress enough.

Advertisement