Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with a little Flash game

Options
  • 24-04-2009 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Been toying with Flash mocking up a few basic little games for a friend of mine who is a teacher. I'm a complete Flash newbie just doing this out of interest to see what it's like.

Anyway, take a look at the attachment and you can see the game. So it works fine. Basically, the kids have to hit the word of as it flashes on the screen. If they hit off they lose a point. So that works fine.

But as you can see I have a restart button in the bottom corner. How can I set it so that clicking that button, at any time, will restart the game??

You can see the code that I have already tried entered into the Action for the button. Tried a few things and nothing has worked.

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

Anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

A quick fix, can you not just tell the button to reload the page when you press it?
    on(release) {
    getURL("game.htm", "_self");
    }

Thanks Gordon. Help is appreciated. I was about to try this, but now I've another problem...

If you go to;

http://helpwithwords.joscv.com/gameofsandoffs.html

You will see that it is asking for an update of Flash player. The thing is that I have the latest version, and every time I do the update anyway, the message still appeared.

Any idea what is causing this?? Doesn't happen with any of the other games as you'll see.

Thanks in advance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Just use SWF Object to put the SWF in the page, that's more reliable.

p wrote: »
    Just use SWF Object to put the SWF in the page, that's more reliable.

Sorry now for noobishness, but what do you mean??

• Advertisement

Anyone? Can't see why this won't work....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Anyone? Can't see why this won't work....
    what version of flash are you using?

what version of flash are you using?

I used Flash 8 to do that so I did. I also did a little game in Flash CS4 but the same problem arose. Yet no problems with viewing any other Flash on my browsers.

What is the url to the raw swf?

Gordon wrote: »
    What is the url to the raw swf?

This is the url the page should be on;
    http://www.helpwithwords.joscv.com/gameofsandoffs.html

I am uploading the games using Dreamweaver. Putting them on the page and uploading them. They work fine when I test them in a browser locally.

• Advertisement

What is the url to the raw swf file? Viewing the source of the page it shows
    <param name="movie" value="[color=red]ofsandoffs.swf[/color]" />
          <param name="quality" value="high" />
          <param name="wmode" value="opaque" />
          <param name="swfversion" value="6.0.65.0" />
          <!-- This param tag prompts users with Flash Player 6.0 r65 and higher to download the latest version of Flash Player. Delete it if you don&#8217;t want users to see the prompt. -->

<param name="expressinstall" value="scripts/expressInstall.swf" />
          <!-- Next object tag is for non-IE browsers. So hide it from IE using IECC. -->
          <!--[if !IE]>-->
          <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="[color=red]ofsandoffs.swf[/color]" width="550" height="400">

Gordon wrote: »
    What is the url to the raw swf file? Viewing the source of the page it shows
    <param name="movie" value="[COLOR=red]ofsandoffs.swf[/COLOR]" />
          <param name="quality" value="high" />
          <param name="wmode" value="opaque" />
          <param name="swfversion" value="6.0.65.0" />
          <!-- This param tag prompts users with Flash Player 6.0 r65 and higher to download the latest version of Flash Player. Delete it if you don&#8217;t want users to see the prompt. -->

<param name="expressinstall" value="scripts/expressInstall.swf" />
          <!-- Next object tag is for non-IE browsers. So hide it from IE using IECC. -->
          <!--[if !IE]>-->
          <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="[COLOR=red]ofsandoffs.swf[/COLOR]" width="550" height="400">

Aaaahhhh. You've solved it for me Gordon. I hadn't uploaded the .swf file itself. You're a gent. Been trying to figure that one out for a fortnight :o

Heh. Incidentally, you might want to put a "Start Game" button on that as it starts straight away.

Very true. Will do. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Sorry now for noobishness, but what do you mean??
    SWFObject is a piece of software for embedding Flash movies. I find it easier and generally better than just using the normal method the you get when you use the 'publish movie' with Flash.

Advertisement