Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cornish pasties

• 24-04-2009 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I have a hankering for these for some reason, but I've been spoiled recently and can't bring myself to buy the p*xy denny's ones. Anyone got any tried and tested recipes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

I like this one.

Cornish Pasty

The following makes two large pasties.

Ingredients:
    · 0.5 lb skirt or chuck steak
    · couple of potatoes
    · small swede
    · medium onion
    · ready made puff pastry (I get that in Dunnes Stores in rolls)
    · some suet
    · salt and pepper
    Cut up the beef into small pieces. Chop the onion. The potato and sweede need chopping into small pieces too.
    Roll out your pastry to about eigth of an inch thick and use a dinner plate to cut a couple of circles out of it, if you are not expert enough to roll out your pastry in a circle. On one side of your circle of pastry put a layer of potato, then turnip, then onion, then meat. Sprinkle a little suet on for extra moistness and season with salt and pepper.

Then put it into a pre-heat oven. Sorry, I cannot say for how long exactly. I usually do mine till the pastry is crisp and golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

there is a range out called taste a memory they are minimum 40% meat and are delish!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

MJOR wrote: »
    there is a range out called taste a memory they are minimum 40% meat and are delish!:)

Never heard of em, MJOR. Are they sold in all good grocery departments?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

corblimey wrote: »
    Never heard of em, MJOR. Are they sold in all good grocery departments?

yeah they are along the lines of cully and sully but wayyyy nicer. Less trouble than making your own but have that artisan feel to them.... think the website is taste a memory .ie

superquinn defo have their stuff anyhoo i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I have a hankering for these for some reason, but I've been spoiled recently and can't bring myself to buy the p*xy denny's ones. Anyone got any tried and tested recipes?
    Good Eats strikes again!

(And I've tried and tested that dough recipe using a basic mince filling and it's very yum)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

"pocket pie"??? oh, those wacky americans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

"pocket pie"??? oh, those wacky americans!
    True, but quite descriptive! The Cornish pasty was originally designed to be carried down the Cornish tin mines by miners, possibly even in their pockets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_pasty#History

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Alun wrote: »
    True, but quite descriptive! The Cornish pasty was originally designed to be carried down the Cornish tin mines by miners, possibly even in their pockets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_pasty#History

and, I believe, traditionally there would be a dessert filling (apple or something) in one end .

Advertisement