Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

canon 50e film slr

• 24-04-2009 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

OK, I've done a search on film SLRs here and i've found enough that i've been reading for the last hour.

I think i'm going to order a canon eos 50e from e-bay.

i just want a cheap camera thats compatable with my eos lenses. i've never shot film before and just want to try it out. is this camera OK for what I'm looking for?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

well, in the deafening silence i went ahead and ordered this camera off e-bay. hopefully it'll arrive soon.

so, is gunnes the place to go for film and for processing film?? you cant really do any post processing so with film if you leave it in for development?

have never used a film camera before, haven't a clue about film cameras but dying to get out and shoot on a full frame camera with the 50mm lense:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

It sounds great:

http://www.robnunnphoto.com/scl-photo-podcast-35-canon-eos-50e-and-film-responses/1374/

Here's wishing you all the best with it.

Looking forward to seeing your photos.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I would NOT hit Gunnes just yet Werzal for either film or processing. Plenty of cheap (even free) film about,1 euro for 36 exp. and plenty of cheaper alternatives to Gunnes for processing for starting off.
    Have a look at the thread going for cheap processing. It's on this forum a few pages back (I'll bump it for you).

If it's your first outing then it's far better to take the cheap and cheerful route. You could go off and take nearly 200 pics (5rollsx36exp) for 8 quid or go to Gunnes, Dublin camera ex etc. and pay 75 quid. That's quite a difference for starting off.

You'll need to get used to the camera. Find out what it can do for you. Experiment. Push yourself and the camera and the film and all three together. Therefore I think it's far better to start off in-expensively, otherwise after 3 rolls and 45 quid lighter you'll only want to kick the cat and feck the camera out the window.

If you see my photos on the Random thread and they're marked iso200 then it's more then likely they've come from the cheap end of the total process.

Spending more money can and will exentuate your final product but only when you know what you're doing.

I'll bump that thread up for you and any questions more throw them on here as it could be a good thread as there are a lot of people going to film.
    Advice I would give is pop into a few charity shops and pick up some 2nd hand books on 35mm photography. Easy reading and really imformative...and again: cheap as chips (well even cheaper as a bag of chips in my local are a rip off 2.40!)

PS I didn't comment on your camera choice as I know nothing about it. I use an older model.

thanks humberklog.

yeah i've noticed your pictures in the random pics. they look, to me anyway, very obviously film - which i like. nice pics. your recent shots of howth inspired me to get up off the internet and go out to howth yesterday and take a few shots - which i posted in the random pics as well.

and yeah you're right about learning. but i think i've learnt a bit on the digital slr over the last two years or so. i used to go out and typically shoot 300 pics in a day - and about 298 of them would be rubbish. now i tend to shoot maybe 40 pics and about 30 of them are keepers! so hopefully i'm ready for the film!

thanks again for the reply. will read that thread alright.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Another thing is the cheap route is having the film developed to CD with no prints. So you get your negs and your disc and then put them up on your lap top and then you can 'shop them etc. I use Picasa myself as it's free.

You're right re-Dslr teaching a lot.

Those ones from Howth, Cork and Grand canal were all done on the one CD. 5 rolls for 8quid.
    (Oh thanks for comment by btw).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭jlang

I have a 50e and I'd say it's a great choice. Very solid camera with great viewfinder and good old-fashioned knobs/switches to give easy access to all the controls. The eye-control is a bit of a gimmick but it actually works really well with the three focus points. Haven't used it in a while (got a 400D so digital took over), but really enjoyed using it when I did. Must pull it out again before all my film gets too old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

If you plan on shooting B&W then you could consider learning how to do it yourself. That will be the cheapest option of them all if cost is an issue for you.

thefizz wrote: »
    If you plan on shooting B&W then you could consider learning how to do it yourself. That will be the cheapest option of them all if cost is an issue for you.

thanks the fizz. i'm not sure what you mean though? i should consider what, learning how to shoot in black and white or learning to develop photos myself???

thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

Sorry I meant the developing part. You don't need much equipment and a darkroom is not neccessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭eshortie

I have a 50E also, it's a great camera and I love it but processing is a pain. Could someone link me to that cheap processing thread? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement