Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Money Saving Tips For Building A House

• 24-04-2009 4:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hey

I'm thinking of building a small 2 bed house at the back of my current house in Kerry.

I'm looking for a good finish but at the same time getting it done as cheap as possible as it will be mainly used as a guest house.

I've a good friend who is going to dig out the site and prepare the ground works for the foundations to be laid, so that won't be a cost.

I've been looking at ikea online and can see making some good savings.

In regard to light switches and plugs I'd like to but some fancy ones, i've read somewhere on boards before of people getting them in the states for a third the price over here. Does anyone have any recommendations on suppliers in the US.

As regard windows and doors, i've heard that munster joinery have a warehouse that you can but windows and doors for about half the origionally, obviously i'd have to plan my house with these in mind.

If anyone has any other advice and money saving tips please let me know.

Rgds, Brian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

briman1983 wrote: »
    Hey

In regard to light switches and plugs I'd like to but some fancy ones, i've read somewhere on boards before of people getting them in the states for a third the price over here. Does anyone have any recommendations on suppliers in the US.
    HEY

Most domestic elec gear in the US is designed to work on 110 volts 60 Hz
    so it will not work here at our 220/240 50Hz without a transformer

May be well worth looking at auctions and buyainsell etc, as there are plenty of surplus building materials around.

Do as much as you can yourself, but builders quotes should be very competative right now.

Don't scimp on quality, it'll come back and haunt you!

Advertisement