Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andy's powerlifting log

Options
  • 24-04-2009 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Bench
    60 * 10
    80 * 6
    100 * 5
    120 * 3
    130 * 3
    140 * 3
    140 * 3
    140 * 2
    120 * 8
    100 * 15

upright rows

50 * 5
    60 * 8 * 3

facepulls

40 * 8 * 3

chinups

treadmill

3 miles

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Good man Andy!! Back training hard already!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Hey, what are your stats? (age, weight, height)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

bam! and some more reading material for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Skull

BossArky wrote: »
    Hey, what are your stats? (age, weight, height)

Im 38,93kg,5 9", been powerlifting competitively for about 4 years now, but was always a member of some gym or other.

I trained in Hercules Gym from 1994 to 2002 then in Total Fitness Blanchardstown for a few years. I moved back home to Wexford and have been training in Ace gym Gorey with my friends Eddie, Davey, Stephen & Sue. Other members come and go like all clubs I suppose.

I compete at 90kg and to say I was disgusted with my performance last week in Belfast is putting it mildly. As a result i'm changing everything

This log will be another way of putting pressure on myself to make sure that kind of performance doesnt happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Hay Andy, this is Hanley's girlfriend, Lucy. I've seen you at a load of the competitions, didn't see you lift last week tho - we didn't get up till the very end on the Saturday.

Good luck with the log, I can't wait to see how you get on!! :)

• Advertisement

26th April 09

Still cant squat or deadlift due to achilles tendon injury while jogging last saturday morning in Belfast trying to make weight.

I weighed 92.1kg on the morning of the comp, I thought I'd lose more weight overnight, the sauna wasnt open for another hour and a half so I went running down the Milltown Road and injured my Achilles tendon.

Anyway I have to work around this as its taking its time to get better.

Training is a local Hotel gym as Ace is taking a break till wednesday.

Shrugs
    100 * 6
    120 * 8,8,8

Shoulder press

40 * 5
    50 * 5
    60 * 6,6,5

Chins

Close grip bench

60 * 5
    80 * 5
    100 * 5
    120 * 8,8,5

Bike

15 mins

Sort of threading water till leg heals

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I can't believe how much weight you cut for the comp.... That was just unreal. Do you normally take that much off?? It was like 6-8kg wasn't it???

Hanley wrote: »
    I can't believe how much weight you cut for the comp.... That was just unreal. Do you normally take that much off?? It was like 6-8kg wasn't it???

Yeah I was 98.5kg 3 weeks out.

Thats the most I have ever cut usually I'm 93/94kg. I have to say I got it all wrong and should have given myself 2 or 3 more weeks. The sauna definitely takes any chance of putting in a good total away from you, it saps your strength like nothing else and is a real amateurish way of making weight (for a 3 hour weigh in). As a result I lifted ****e.

I went up to 98 kg out of pure laziness and I dont think the extra weight suited me. I was real sluggish and tired all the time. The aim now is to drop bodyfat and keep up the cardio. Im actually enjoying the running.

I see you are looking to come down to 100kg, thats a good decision as you will probably feel a lot better.

Also my missus & kids say they are going to divorce me if I try to lose weight like that again as I was a narky, grmpy fcuker for 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Howya Andy. I remember cursing you under my breath when I saw your bench in Belfast. Impressive stuff. I'll be keeping an eye on what you're doing on it here.

kevpants wrote: »
    Howya Andy. I remember cursing you under my breath when I saw your bench in Belfast. Impressive stuff. I'll be keeping an eye on what you're doing on it here.

Hello yourself, fair play to you on your last squat. I thought it was going to crease you but shows how wrong you can be.

• Advertisement

Skull wrote: »
    Hello yourself, fair play to you on your last squat. I thought it was going to crease you but shows how wrong you can be.

I think you, everyone in the room and the guy under the bar thought it was going to crease me. I guess I just have a really big fear of getting killed under a pile of weight and that's all that got me through.

Ace Gym

Bench

100 * 6
    120 * 6
    130 * 3
    135 * 5,5,4

Chinups

dips

decline situps with medicine ball

No strength at all at the minute so another "treading water" session

The leg is still very sore so hopefully I'll be able to do a light squat or legpress on Friday. I've never hurt my achilles tendon before so trying to be sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

the achilles tendon is one to watch out for, can leave you with a limp if your not careful around it. Have u seen anyone about it?

6/5/09

Bench

100 * 5
    120 * 5
    130 * 5
    140 * 3,3,3
    120 * 10
    100 * 18

Dips

bw * 10
    bw + 20 *10
    bw + 40 * 6

Upright rows

60 * 5
    70 * 5,6,6

Situps

Pissed off with this leg so I'm going to the Doctor if not better by Friday

18/5/09

Back training as the leg is much better.

Bench

120 * 3
    130 * 2
    130 * 8 pb
    120 * 8
    100 * 5

Hammer curls

30 * 10 * 3

Upright rows

50 * 6
    60 * 8 * 3

Squats

60 * 5
    100 * 6 * 3

The rest seems to have done my bench a bit of good if nothing else. It was nice to get back squatting too.

My training partner davy was there last night for the first time since the nationals in Belfast as he was injured too. He squatted 260 for 2 by 2 in a loose suit. The depth wasnt there as the suit wouldnt let him down but not bad for someone who hasnt squatted for 5 or 6 weeks. Eddie did some dumbell curls.

Glad to hear you're back man. Did you end up at the doc?

Didn't realise Davy got hurt in Belfast too!

kevpants wrote: »
    Glad to hear you're back man. Did you end up at the doc?

Didn't realise Davy got hurt in Belfast too!

Thanks, no I didnt go to the doctor I just rested it so I'll be taking it nice & easy for a while.

Davy hurt his knee jumping over a wall the week after the comp. He was only getting back to full health after a JCB bucket landed on his back (true story) a month before Belfast. He was a bit worried about the damage as it was his favourite JCB.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Wow!YOu're almost exactly the same height,weight and age as me..i need to pull my finger out on the benching so!

Skull wrote: »

Davy hurt his knee jumping over a wall the week after the comp. He was only getting back to full health after a JCB bucket landed on his back (true story) a month before Belfast. He was a bit worried about the damage as it was his favourite JCB.

LOL. No better man to handle a jcb bucket on his back.

Quick update on the last 3 months, crashed my jeep and couldnt train for a month, decided to give up on 90s and compete at 100kg. Feel much better as a result and going to Bradford next week aiming for 220/225kg raw squat.

• Advertisement

Friday 4th Sep 09

Squat

60kg * 10
    100Kg * 8
    120Kg * 5
    140kg * 3
    160kg * 1
    180kg * 1
    200kg * 1
    170kg * 8

Situps with medicine ball 3 sets

Last training session on Monday and then looking forward to Bradford. This will be the first time I'll be able to eat the night before a comp.

7th sep 09

Last training before squats in Bradford

Squat

60kg * 10
    80kg * 8
    100kg * 6
    120kg * 4
    140kg * 2
    160kg * 1
    160kg * 6
    160kg * 8