Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arc light problem

Options
  • 24-04-2009 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

I have a light over the back door, think it's a Arc light, when it works properly is illuminates when it detects motion. It also can be switched on manually by flicking switch to off and back on

Replaced bulb, so switched it off to do this.

Prob is when neither the manual on or motion detect on do not work.

It will illuminate if I flick the on switch on/off 5-6 times, it illuminates for about 10 secs

The bulb and contacts are all fine

I bought it years ago and the instructions are long gone, there was something in the instructions about flicking it on-off three times to get it set up, have done that no luck.

Thanks Folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

It's probably not an arc-light anyhow. We'd be able to see it from here if it was!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arc_lamp

I'm guessing that the detector and the bulb are part of the same enclosure or are attached physically to each other?
    Somewhat like this... http://www.lighting-direct.co.uk/500w-micro-pir-floodlight-black-p-10657.html?rn=16

Well, with what you describe, it sounds to me as if the control circuit has blown. It's not going to be simple to repair.
    If the unit like like the above link, you can pick up a replacement in any DIY shop for relatively little cash these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Hi you are right its not an Arc light, its one of those PIR lights you mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

you can get replacement PIR standalone units, they usually work out better as you can have the light somewhere different to the sensor. However 10.10.20's advice is the quickest and most likely best solution.

Advertisement