Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boycott chinese imports and save irish jobs

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

eamonnm79 wrote: »
    They manufacture phones in Bray on the southern cross road for a major manufacturer, They make Processors in Leixlip They make the plastic mouldings for laptops in Nypro in Bray, and they put them together in Limerick in dell and in apple in cork. These are only the ones I know about. If we can make the laptops we can make the rest too

We are overestimating the benifits of chinese manufacture big time.

The main barrier to irish manufacture is that large multinationals have the patents sown up. Because they have the patents sown up they can manufacture where it suits them. However their big mistake is that they are impoverishing the working classes in Europe and the US.

dell is closing its limerick plant and moving to poland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭eamonnm79

dell is closing its limerick plant and moving to poland

I know, whats your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I know, whats your point?

I see that Nypro has access to cheap labour in Hungary. I wonder if they're thinking of getting access to some more in Poland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭ongarite

They manufacture phones in Bray on the southern cross road for a major manufacturer, They make Processors in Leixlip They make the plastic mouldings for laptops in Nypro in Bray, and they put them together in Limerick in dell and in apple in cork. These are only the ones I know about. If we can make the laptops we can make the rest too.

They don't make processors in the way your thinking about it in Leixlip or any Intel site in USA or Israel.
    They only finish the wafer and then they are sent off to Vietnam, Philippines (extremely low cost ecomomies) to be made into the product you see in your PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,023 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The main barrier to irish manufacture is that large multinationals have the patents sown up. Because they have the patents sown up they can manufacture where it suits them. However their big mistake is that they are impoverishing the working classes in Europe and the US.
    We have failed as a country to develop research and design. We could be designing and patenting these things ourselves but we don't. So we're stuck competing against the likes of China for bottom of the barrel manufacturing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

An open policy is the only way forward out of this mess but it must be done on an equal basis. Forums such as G20,GATT and WTO should be used to combat such abuses as child labour, slavery and restrictions on labour bargaining which might give some countries a short-term unfair advantage.
    Unions need to become transnational and world wide in their operations and scope in order to act as a counterforce to the international and global reach of large corporations.
    Governments also need to club together more in standing up for the rights, pay and conditions of their citizens and act as a counterforce to the tendency towards lower pay, more onerous conditions and erosion of existing benefits which have become known as the race to the bottom.
    If we close off our borders and try to make everything for ourselves we will lose out big time. As a child of the 60's I remember well the crap shoes, clothes and cars produced in Ireland and contrast that with the cheap and good quality clothes, cars etc coming from the East. Clothing and shodding children was a huge issue when I was small and cost the family considerably more than today. We used to hear of neighbours getting parcels from America and England with clothes and shoes in them for the large families of the West of Ireland. Families could not afford school uniforms, often Irish made and from one source and therefore dear and had to go begging of their relatives to get the money together to get them. Cars were dear and prone to break down more often than the brilliant Japanese cars we have today.
    TV's radios etc were also crap and prone to break down.
    I for one would not welcome a return to that system as I find the Chinese etc too useful to ignore. Instead we should be looking to see what we can sell to them from our own resources and tailor our economy that way.
    Not enough time or money has been spent on science and innovation in this country and now we are paying big for that mistake. I'd say that alot of males came to rely on construction too much for a decent high paying job and now are in deep trouble career wise. Females on the other hand concentrated on their education and are now set to continue to dominate in growing fields such as education (80% of new primary teachers are female...)
    and administration.
    Because of the underlying globalisation of the trading in the earths resources, expenses in China will rise, they have to pay the same as us for oil,metals, etc. It is inevitable that over the long term their costs will also rise as people will demand more and better housing, food, transport etc and the governments of those countries will have to respond to meet that demand.
    Europes wages and expenses will have to fall to some half-way point in order to compete. Americas will also fall a bit but they have an Ace up their sleeve with a superbly equipped and unified military which limits the ability of the rest of the world to force down their costs and wages too much.
    It is no doubt a huge challenge which hopefully will be met without a war this time round. It must be borne in mind that the last Great depression was not finally solved until WW2 came around and all the unemployed were given jobs killing each other and making the weapons with which to do so. Fear was the great unifying element that time. After the war you had Bretton Woods and the IMF etc to restructure the world economy. We need something similar now but without the intervening war, hopefully..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭eamonnm79

doolox wrote: »
    the last Great depression was not finally solved until WW2 came around and all the unemployed were given jobs killing each other and making the weapons with which to do so. Fear was the great unifying element that time. After the war you had Bretton Woods and the IMF etc to restructure the world economy. We need something similar now but without the intervening war, hopefully..............

Good post.
    But Very scary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

It was called the Smoot Hartley Tariff act when the Us had the idea of saving American jobs by imposing huge tariffs on imports. Hoover was said to be against it as was the likes of Henry Ford who realised the advantages of International trade for America's long term prosperity.
    The act caused retaliation by other countries and lengthened the depression. Ireland suffered as well with similar sentiments regarding the payments of annuities for land purchase to Britain leading to tariffs imposed by Britain on agricultural produce from Ireland leading to the economic war in 1932.
    Germany adopted a policy of non trading and self sufficiency known generally as Autarky, basically a closed society. This strengthened tha hands of the Nazi's as any trans national trade or contact became regarded with suspicion and fear and mistrust...leading to War.
    Tragically the US imposed sanctions on Japan for its militarism in China and the former Far East colonies of Holland and France, the home countries already having been invaded by Herr Hitler. Soon the Americans and the British were embroiled in a War on both Oceans which took 6 years to fight and changed the economic face of the world.

Advertisement