Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BsC Veterinary Nursing Degree

Options
  • 24-04-2009 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hi,

I'm trying to decide if I should do this new course or a general science degree with the intention of specifying in zoology. I'm not sure what area I'd like to get into you see, I'd like to work with animals and study them but i just don't know if working as a vet nurse would satisfy me.

i was just wondering if anyone could give me some information on this course, I know it's gonna be differnt from the diploma in that you don't need to have the so many hours of work in a practice and it'll be 2 years of lecturing and studying the ins and outs of nursing and then the next 2 getting to the more practical and experience side.
    But are there any other other routes which you can follow with this degree? and if you decide you want to further on your study, what can you do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'm so not stalking you....

But I got an email about an open day at Department of Agriculture and Veterinary in UCD happening May 1st. It looks really good and I'm sure they'll have students there to talk to as well. And there's free lunch! :D If you pm me your email I can pass you on the details. (Its on powerpoint so I can't upload it here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Hannahlu

:eek: oh no not this one again:p.....haha thanks i'll send you a pm now, thanks a mil

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BeebCeeb

Hi:) Im not gonna be able to make it to that open day, Does anyone know any more about that course in UCD? I have applyed but not holding out much hope as have never worked in a Vets, Its four years but does anyone know if you can get paid work expierence in the 3rd and 4th year?
    Or is it just work expierence.
    and just while im on the vet nursing subject.....:) I was kinda half thinking of goin back to St johns to do a one year vet nurse course level 6. Do you think i vet would hire with the feetac level 6?? One year sounds alot better than studying for four years, as im a mature student

Any Help would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

BeebCeeb wrote: »
    Do you think i vet would hire with the feetac level 6?? One year sounds alot better than studying for four years, as im a mature student

To answer you on this...no. Well not as a veterinary nurse anyway, possibly a veterinary assistant though. Vet nurses are incredibly skilled (but underpaid) and the training is 3-4 years for this reason. You will not learn everything in 1 year as its too intensive and you will need time to hone your skills to adequately work in a veterinary practice environment. Also, as i said as skilled as nurses are they are underpaid...so an assistant will be paid even less.

Advertisement