Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shame on Tesco - Removing Irish Brands from its Stores

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭cfcj

Guaranteed irish = Guaranteed Expensive.

If you want cheap groceries then there is no way that it can be sourced from Ireland. If you want quality products yeah I agree that Ireland is secind to none in providing such products. But for those who complain about rip off Ireland cannot expect to get Irish products at a cheaper price.

Why do you think Dunnes Stores is fu**ed? It cannot avail of the vast discount s available when buying for an international firms like Tescos, Aldi or Lidl.

So if you want cheap produce then don't expect to buy Irish, if you want to buy Irish then don't winge and moan about being ripped off.

What an absolute dumb comment, maybe investigate how Tesco, lidl and Aldi are able to charge such cheap prices before you come out with a generalisation about Irish products.

K-9 wrote: »
    OK, the latest figures I could get was 06:
    http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1011514.shtml

In 05, tax as a % of GDP was 30.6%, to GNP 36.2%. I take it your 34% figure is more recent so it is probably closer to 40% now. Obviously in a time when both GNP and GDP are falling and tax increases, that isn't going to get any lower soon.

We are a low tax economy by European standards especially when it comes to direct taxes and that is true. However it hides what the politicians don't want to tell you, our indirect taxes are in the higher half of the EU15. You'll be aware of the differences in VAT rates and car prices from your time in the UK. It's the main reason our tax take has drastically reduced. It's nothing personal, just pointing out a common misconception.

Bear in mind too that Health Insurance is nearly a necessity here, not in the UK. Another indirect tax not counted in calculations.

Don't know how you got the idea I only shop in Tesco. I shop where the best bargains are. Don't think anybody is arguing Tesco are whiter than white but there move has put pressure on the competition. Dunnes and Super Value announced cuts of up to €30 a week recently, which begs the question, why so long? Maybe Musgraves aren't that innocent?

There is a strong independent sector here, mainly because of RGDATA and Musgraves.

The taxation figures I gave were both direct and indirect and together, comparible, we are still one of the lowest taxed countries. I think its misleading to say that the politicians are hiding something when you are clearly taxed on your wages/declared income and detailed on each receipt you get after purchase. There is no hidden taxes.. what are they hiding? The information is freely available about other nations and lots and lots of Irish travel and see goods tax/VAT in other countries for themselves.

I don't believe I have expressed that I think you only shop in Tesco. You asked for an alternative. I can't understand how you have the ability to decide what I think.

As for why the other supermarkets haven't lowered their prices before, well I'm sure its obvious because they could charge the higher price and people were prepared to pay for it, such are the markets.

What I find particularly objectionable with Tesco have entered into a price war and without taking any hit to their profits they have turned to the Irish suppliers and demanded a 15% cut in milk cost and 20% in other produce. Then they have been slowly phasing out the Irish produce in favour of suppliers in the UK that will drop their prices to suit. They had denied and denied they are doing this yet the IFA say they are cutting suppliers and Ballymaloe have announced last week they were told by Shamrock foods that some of their products were not being selected by Tesco any longer. I haven't heard of any other supermarket chain doing this but I would be equally annoyed if this was the case in Dunnes Stores etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭murpheous81

cfcj wrote: »
    What an absolute dumb comment, maybe investigate how Tesco, lidl and Aldi are able to charge such cheap prices before you come out with a generalisation about Irish products.

I know full well how Tesco, Aldi etc can charge a lower price for goods, its basic common sense. Granted some Irish products maybe priced cheap, but at what cost, in terms of quality of ingrediants.

Let me some up it up like this - Irish products sold in Ireland = Expensive, Irish Products sold every where else = expensive

And yes I know the vat and customs duties skew the prices, especially comparing prices of irish alcoholic products when on holidays

I know full well how Tesco, Aldi etc can charge a lower price for goods, its basic common sense. Granted some Irish products maybe priced cheap, but at what cost, in terms of quality of ingrediants.

Let me some up it up like this - Irish products sold in Ireland = Expensive, Irish Products sold every where else = expensive

And yes I know the vat and customs duties skew the prices, especially comparing prices of irish alcoholic products when on holidays

So another generalisation.... and you have contradicted yourself in the process saying that "some irish products maybe priced cheap" and "Irish products sold in Ireland = Expensive" which is it? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The taxation figures I gave were both direct and indirect and together, comparible, we are still one of the lowest taxed countries. I think its misleading to say that the politicians are hiding something when you are clearly taxed on your wages/declared income and detailed on each receipt you get after purchase. There is no hidden taxes.. what are they hiding? The information is freely available about other nations and lots and lots of Irish travel and see goods tax/VAT in other countries for themselves.

I don't believe I have expressed that I think you only shop in Tesco. You asked for an alternative. I can't understand how you have the ability to decide what I think.

As for why the other supermarkets haven't lowered their prices before, well I'm sure its obvious because they could charge the higher price and people were prepared to pay for it, such are the markets.

What I find particularly objectionable with Tesco have entered into a price war and without taking any hit to their profits they have turned to the Irish suppliers and demanded a 15% cut in milk cost and 20% in other produce. Then they have been slowly phasing out the Irish produce in favour of suppliers in the UK that will drop their prices to suit. They had denied and denied they are doing this yet the IFA say they are cutting suppliers and Ballymaloe have announced last week they were told by Shamrock foods that some of their products were not being selected by Tesco any longer. I haven't heard of any other supermarket chain doing this but I would be equally annoyed if this was the case in Dunnes Stores etc.

http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1014052.shtml
    http://www.worldwide-tax.com/index.asp#partthree

There is two other links on tax. The original point you made was that we are a low tax economy. While that is generally true compared to EU averages it hides the fact that our taxes on consumption are the highest in Europe, barring the Nordic countries. That is an important point in this thread as it is part of the cost base of Retailers. Its like saying why is wine expensive here, sure aren't we a low tax economy!

Even low labour taxes is offset by a high minimum wage.

As for what you think, well your posts tell alot, eg.
    cfcj wrote:
    I totally agree, but you'll find there is a lot of protection from Tesco fans on here. Possibly ones with hidden agendas...

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1014052.shtml
    http://www.worldwide-tax.com/index.asp#partthree

There is two other links on tax. The original point you made was that we are a low tax economy. While that is generally true compared to EU averages it hides the fact that our taxes on consumption are the highest in Europe, barring the Nordic countries. That is an important point in this thread as it is part of the cost base of Retailers. Its like saying why is wine expensive here, sure aren't we a low tax economy!

Even low labour taxes is offset by a high minimum wage.

As for what you think, well your posts tell alot, eg.

Since when has vat been a cost to trade? My understanding was that this was for the end user to pay. Its semantics using your wine analogy. Most EU countries work off a 19% vat rate, Ireland has 21.5. Against the UK's vat cut sure we look like it is massively high but in European standards its not that much off.

Maybe you would love to tell me what I think? Truth is that you can't. I have no idea what the point of your last statement is.

Since when has vat been a cost to trade? My understanding was that this was for the end user to pay.

Eh, Yes, the end user pays it.
    cfcj wrote:
    Its semantics using your wine analogy.

Yes, to illustrate the point. Just because we are relatively a low tax economy does not mean we aren't high tax in certain areas.

cfcj wrote:
    Most EU countries work off a 19% vat rate, Ireland has 21.5. Against the UK's vat cut sure we look like it is massively high but in European standards its not that much off.

The finfacts article showing the average tax on consumption in the EU15 of 21.6 and our rate being 26.9 is a more inclusive method.
    cfcj wrote:
    Maybe you would love to tell me what I think? Truth is that you can't. I have no idea what the point of your last statement is.

So what you post on this thread isn't what you think? :eek: Anyway, it's getting ridiculous at this stage.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

Shame on Irish from buying british brands from ASDA!. I mean business in Business and you adapt and lower costs and prices or die. Irish were happy to pay well over the odds for goods for years!!. We were ripped off. I don't blame tesco, I blame us as a nation. (although I am sad to see irish brands disappear)

Eh, Yes, the end user pays it.

Yes, to illustrate the point. Just because we are relatively a low tax economy does not mean we aren't high tax in certain areas.

The finfacts article showing the average tax on consumption in the EU15 of 21.6 and our rate being 26.9 is a more inclusive method.

So what you post on this thread isn't what you think? :eek: Anyway, it's getting ridiculous at this stage.

I think it was ridiculous how long it took you to come round to the fact that we are a low tax economy. Now your telling me that you think that the vat rate is 26.9%.... hmmm, seems like you need to re-evaluate your sources. 21.5% is the highest and most common vat rate you will get charged in the Republic of Ireland.

Glad you agree that vat has no baring on the cost of doing business here.

Shame on Irish from buying british brands from ASDA!. I mean business in Business and you adapt and lower costs and prices or die. Irish were happy to pay well over the odds for goods for years!!. We were ripped off. I don't blame tesco, I blame us as a nation. (although I am sad to see irish brands disappear)

Like you I am very sad that Irish brands will disappear and going on from that the knock on effect that will have on suppliers and jobs.

I think everyone is entitled to buy British, Polish, French or whatever brand or nationality they feel like. We are part of the EU and free to do so. We rely heavily on other countries buying our produce but are increasingly reluctant do buy our own. There is shame to be felt I agree. I agree people are paying over inflated prices for goods. I think the Irish were only too happy to open its doors for the British brands and yearned for the big names off the UK high street to come here. Trouble is that we're losing the ones that were Irish. Its actually increasingly difficult to tell the difference between Ireland and the UK, a sad day to see that our retailing business is now controlled predominantly out of the UK.

I notice that the media here don't seem to interested in people being ripped off but were first to advise people to go to shop in Northern Ireland. Consumer affairs in media is a very important topic in the UK and rigorously pursued with programmes e.g. BBC Watchdog, along with countless inches in newspapers and magazines. How come that doesn't happen here?

The problem with Tesco isn't so much in this area, although their recent strategy has drawn them into this arguement more and more. If you look at Tesco's business practice world wide, production and relationship with suppliers and a business model to monopolilise small pockets of areas as opposed to whole countries. They failed in France because a law was passed about floor space. Therefore they couldn't compete with the same business model that they are using in Ireland and the UK. In other words they couldn't compete unfairly so were forced out. I keep reading of issues the stakeholders have had with Tesco, from planning to suppliers, advertising and employee relations. What seems to come out of all of this is one line "we didn't intend to mislead" that seems to have no meaning to me now after seeing it multiple times attached to 'Tesco spokesperson'. Yet they are misleading and have denied and denied they are withdrawing Irish products from the shelves. I don't see the point of having them here anymore. Time to send them packing again, reality is they aren't going to change their stratagy.

Just yesterday I read how they were claiming that the carrots on sale were from an Irish supplier and even named the gentleman. However as pointed out to Tesco that Irish carrots were not in season and couldn't be supplied from an Irish farm. Tesco's response was that the supplier of carrots when they were in season in Ireland was the named person but hoped that people would realise that. hmmm

The true shame is that people have embedded that a supermarket is the only place to get food. Its not and there is plenty of good and decent businesses out there that won't rip you off. There is of course an element of greed, laziness and pseudo convenience in this whole situation. I question these people who drive hundreds of kms into Northern Ireland and the money they spend on fuel if they truly have exhausted all other avenues.

• Advertisement

I think it was ridiculous how long it took you to come round to the fact that we are a low tax economy. Now your telling me that you think that the vat rate is 26.9%.... hmmm, seems like you need to re-evaluate your sources. 21.5% is the highest and most common vat rate you will get charged in the Republic of Ireland.

Glad you agree that vat has no baring on the cost of doing business here.

Huh? Tax on consumption is different from VAT. Really if you don't know the distinction it isn't up to me to teach you! It's similar to the difference between GNP and GDP being important.

VAT has a bearing on making us one of the most expensive economies in Europe. Again, there's a difference, but unfortunately I don't know if you'll see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭rameire

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0630/competition.html

Tesco Update

Tesco has said it is moving its border price reduction programme to Dublin.

The company also said it will introduce the programme to all of its Irish stores by August.

It joins Marks and Spencer, Dunnes Stores and SuperValu in a massive pitch for the newly value-conscious shopper, as lower-cost operators Aldi and Lidl gain market share.

AdvertisementIn May, Tesco said more than 12,000 prices were being reduced by an average of 22% in the border stores.

Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, Tesco Ireland Chief Executive Tony Keohane said that the border initiative had gone well and rejected suggestions that the company had moved some prices back up.

Tesco and other retailers came under fire from Irish food producers last week over what producers claimed was reduced shelf space for Irish products.

Mr Keohane denied Tesco had reduced its reliance on Irish producers, saying it was a 'massive supporter' of Irish agri-business.

But Mr Keohane said the company looked at all product lines it carried - Irish and international.

He said the products customers were buying remained, but those people were not buying were removed.

Mr Keohane said it was 'completely erroneous' to suggest that Tesco did not carry Irish products that people wanted to buy.

Asked about calls by a food industry body for a supermarket ombudsman and a code of practice in the sector, he said he would support anything that would reduce costs, but the last thing we needed was more red tape.

The Competition Authority is to publish the findings of a study examining higher prices in Ireland later today.

The study focused on areas such as food, clothing and pharmaceuticals.

The study has reportedly found that food prices in the Republic were 30% higher than in Northern Ireland.

Head of the Competition Authority Bill Prasifka said strengthening competitiveness would be the means by which to deal with the economic crisis.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Huh? Tax on consumption is different from VAT. Really if you don't know the distinction it isn't up to me to teach you! It's similar to the difference between GNP and GDP being important.

VAT has a bearing on making us one of the most expensive economies in Europe. Again, there's a difference, but unfortunately I don't know if you'll see it.

lol, the arrogance of you is astounding. Believe me you don't need to teach me anything. What was being talked about was vat. Similarly with GDP and GNP you are still banging on about that one.. well I don't think I indicated any opinion on the difference between them.

Again its off thread....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Tesco Roselawn in Blanchardstown, Clarehall, Clearwater(Finglas), Artane, Jervis were closed on Sunday and Monday for 'refurbishements for a better Tesco'.

Those are the ones i know of that were closed, probably more in Dublin. They are all big stores. Small ones(or Express) like Tesco Sandymount, Ringsend, Baggot St were untouched.

I suspect the larger stores were having the Drogheda affect applied to them.

Now if Tesco after 'reducing prices' due to this operation, will not put them back up later on like always in the past after previous 'reductions' is another question..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Just seen this, Tesco increases prices again on hundreds of products after reducing them last month! (some have still decreased though)
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0630/1224249781219.html
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0630/1224249781200.html
    IT wrote:
    TESCO HAS increased prices on hundreds of food items just over a month after they were reduced as part of a heavily-promoted price-cutting campaign in some stores.

The country’s biggest retailer confirmed yesterday it had increased prices on about 200 lines in its “change for good” stores, which stock large numbers of products directly imported from the UK rather than sourced from Irish suppliers.

However, it pointed out that some 300 items had fallen further in price since the new store layouts, or planograms, were introduced in stores near the Border and then Connacht.

Of 50 products reduced in price for the “change for good” strategy in early May, six had risen again to the previous level while five had been reduced further, according to a price survey by The Irish Times in Tesco’s Drogheda store earlier this month ( see panel ).

At the time of the revamp in early May, the retailer said the new prices were long-term structural changes, not promotional prices, aimed at stemming the flow of shoppers across the Border. It stated in newspaper advertisements that prices had been reduced “for good”.

A spokesman said most of the changes were necessitated by increases in supplier prices, but there were also some errors in which prices were either under- or over-stated, as well as “adjustments” to take account of local competition in some stores.

Tesco’s strategy has provoked a price war among retailers with most of the main players dropping their prices, especially on international brands, to retain market share. However, suppliers have complained that the space allocated to Irish brands and produce has reduced significantly, leading to job losses.

The multiple is due to announce a further rolling out of the “change for good” stores to other parts of the country today. The price cuts will be extended to another nine stores: Artane, Ashbourne, Balbriggan, Blanchardstown, Clarehall, Clearwater, Prussia St, Santry, Jervis St and Parnell St.
    Some 12 per cent of the sample items quoted by Tesco at the launch of its “change for good” strategy early last month have increased in price again, while 10 per cent have had their price reduced further, according to a survey carried out by The Irish Times .

At the time of the launch on May 5th, the company provided journalists with a list of 62 sample price cuts from the overall number of 12,500 it said it was reducing as part of the new strategy to stem cross-Border shopping and steal a march on its rivals.

Last Sunday week, The Irish Times revisited the Drogheda branch where the strategy was unveiled and checked the prices on the list. Some items were not in stock or could not be located, leaving 50 items for comparison.

Among those which had gone up in price again were Kelloggs Special K, back up to €3.81 after being reduced to €3.32, Crisp’N’Dry vegetable oil, now at €3.99 after being reduced to €3.19 and Ryvita Crackerbread, which had been reduced to €1.05 but are now back at their earlier level of €1.55.

Other products on the list which had increased in price included a pack of red onions, back to 99c after a spell at 79c, Country Store chips, which were reduced to €1.29 but are now back up at €1.75. Johnsons babywipes were reduced from €3.59 to €2.79 but now cost €2.89.

A number of other products which were not on the list have also increased in price to their original levels. These include some Maxwell House and Nescafe coffee brands and Ocean Spray cranberry classic drink.

However, a number of products show significant further falls in price. A pack of X Large Pampers nappies had been cut from €17.99 to €14.65, and have been reduced further to €9.82. Cow and Gate follow-on milk was reduced from €10.99 to €8.39, and is now selling at €7.28.

A tin of Pedigree loaf dog food was reduced from 95c to 68c and is now on sale at 66c.

What are they playing at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No surprise, all supermarkets do this. The trick is to pay attention and buy when prices are cut (esp dry/canned products)

mike65 wrote: »
    No surprise, all supermarkets do this. The trick is to pay attention and buy when prices are cut (esp dry/canned products)

I agree that most supermarkets do this and thats their prerogative to do that. Still it draws questions on the statement from Tesco detailed above about how they are rejecting suggestions that some prices have gone back up. Clearly from what people are noticing is that this is the case. Also if Tesco were absorbing any of this price cutting as a result of the price war they have initiated then it would be a different picture. Truth is they are not and have demanded that the suppliers take the cut. The IFA and other supplier groups are not saying Dunnes Stores or other supermarkets are doing the same even though their prices are also going down.

Tesco also described the Irish market as a 'drip' recently, however a leaked document to the Irish Times has described buoyant figures from Tesco in Ireland. They have denied this also but refuse to publish the true figures for Ireland. This is a PR exercise, the strategy is the less we know the better. As most of their suppliers are controlled by either confidentiality agreements or the threat of discontinuation there very few willing to give the true picture of Tesco's relationship with suppliers, (source http://www.independent.ie/business/small-business/big-supermarkets-putting-squeeze-on-their-suppliers-1504209.html).

lol, the arrogance of you is astounding. Believe me you don't need to teach me anything. What was being talked about was vat. Similarly with GDP and GNP you are still banging on about that one.. well I don't think I indicated any opinion on the difference between them.

Again its off thread....

Nope it isn't.

I clearly stated tax on consumption was 26.9% that the Finfacts article shows, you kept going on about VAT. High taxes on consumption directly affect prices and make goods more expensive, one of the reasons we are one of the dearest countries in Europe.

Tesco reduced their prices and others have followed. That is a good thing. Nobody has to shop in Tesco but this move has put pressure on the competition which was much needed, especially in border areas.

Nope it isn't.

I clearly stated tax on consumption was 26.9% that the Finfacts article shows, you kept going on about VAT. High taxes on consumption directly affect prices and make goods more expensive, one of the reasons we are one of the dearest countries in Europe.

Tesco reduced their prices and others have followed. That is a good thing. Nobody has to shop in Tesco but this move has put pressure on the competition which was much needed, especially in border areas.

Ohhh so if Finfacts says it therefore it must be gospel. 26.9% of what? You are taking a generalisation of indirect taxes which span everything from tax on moving money to tax on cars, all of which are non compulsive taxes Even vat is only a semi-compulsive tax. Then you are using that to argue that Ireland is one of of the most expensive countries but you don't take this into context of the low income tax we pay or the higher wages that are generally paid here. Plus there is the corporation tax which is one of the lowest in the world. I think its expensive if you are visiting from the UK to Ireland the same as though you were going from Ireland to any of the Scandi countries. But the reality is that people have more per capita than a lot of our european counterparts. Selective facts can do this I'm afraid. The fact is that Ireland has one of the highest disposable income percentages in the OECD.

The only pressure Tesco has induced was onto its suppliers who have to shoulder the cuts they have alleged in their stores. I say alleged because they seem to go up and down more times than a hookers knickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭rameire

im just wondering if this thread is still the

'Shame on Tesco - Removing Irish Brands from its Stores' thread

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

I always try to support local shops and that's why I have gone to my local greengrocer for years. So this week I went to my local shop to do my weekly shopping as per usual

Onions - New Zealand
    Apples - USA
    Tomatoes - Spain
    Strawberries - Holland
    French Beans - Ireland - woohoo, something local at last
    Potatoes - Ireland
    Cabbage - UK
    Cauliflower - UK

So I bought the beans and potatoes and went on to Tesco to do the rest of the shopping. All the same vegetables, all sourced from Ireland and all cheaper.

Then I looked at the cheese. Dubliner cheese - made in UK. Charleville cheese - made in UK. Mitchelstown - made in UK. So I bought Tesco Value cheddar for just over €6 per kg - made in UK. Just because the brand is Irish doesn't mean it's actually made here. Check out the manufacturing stamp on the back.

I'm not a Tesco advocate, but at least give them credit for selling Irish fresh produce, because very few other shops do.

Ohhh so if Finfacts says it therefore it must be gospel.

Well you are free to check their sources and come up with alternatives if you doubt them.
    cfcj wrote:
    26.9% of what? You are taking a generalisation of indirect taxes which span everything from tax on moving money to tax on cars, all of which are non compulsive taxes Even vat is only a semi-compulsive tax.

It doesn't include taxes on moving money. I see your point on it being semi compulsive but statistics are generalisations! The average shopping basket is going to have goods at 0%, 21% and goods that have excise duties.
    cfcj wrote:
    Then you are using that to argue that Ireland is one of of the most expensive countries but you don't take this into context of the low income tax we pay or the higher wages that are generally paid here.

Indeed, fair point. Of course those high wages are a cost to businesses too and are passed onto the consumer.
    cfcj wrote:
    Plus there is the corporation tax which is one of the lowest in the world. I think its expensive if you are visiting from the UK to Ireland the same as though you were going from Ireland to any of the Scandi countries. But the reality is that people have more per capita than a lot of our european counterparts. Selective facts can do this I'm afraid. The fact is that Ireland has one of the highest disposable income percentages in the OECD.

Yes, but back to square one again, we have one of the highest consumption tax rates to counteract this. Taking income and our low tax on labour to argue we have high incomes, then ignoring taxes on what we spend that very income on, is being selective.

So in summary and getting back to the thread, we have high wages which are a cost of business passed onto the consumer, though the low direct taxes help to have higher disposable incomes. Those high disposable incomes are then affected by high indirect taxes.

Both the high wages and high indirect taxes affect the prices people pay. Perfect example being your one of ROI and the UK/NI.
    cfcj wrote:
    The only pressure Tesco has induced was onto its suppliers who have to shoulder the cuts they have alleged in their stores. I say alleged because they seem to go up and down more times than a hookers knickers.

That is your opinion. Personally I don't think Super Value, Dunnes, Aldi etc. would have introduced price cuts if Tesco didn't reduce theirs. They are all happy to charge what they want until they fear losing share.

Maglight wrote: »
    I always try to support local shops and that's why I have gone to my local greengrocer for years. So this week I went to my local shop to do my weekly shopping as per usual

Onions - New Zealand
    Apples - USA
    Tomatoes - Spain
    Strawberries - Holland
    Potatoes - Ireland
    Cabbage - UK
    Cauliflower - UK

So I bought the beans and potatoes and went on to Tesco to do the rest of the shopping. All the same vegetables, all sourced from Ireland and all cheaper.

Then I looked at the cheese. Dubliner cheese - made in UK. Charleville cheese - made in UK. Mitchelstown - made in UK. So I bought Tesco Value cheddar for just over €6 per kg - made in UK. Just because the brand is Irish doesn't mean it's actually made here. Check out the manufacturing stamp on the back.

I'm not a Tesco advocate, but at least give them credit for selling Irish fresh produce, because very few other shops do.

YEP, I've bought what I thought was Irish produce in both Tesco and Dunnes and when I checked the labeling it was only packaged in Ireland. Didn't buy them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

YEP, I've bought what I thought was Irish produce in both Tesco and Dunnes and when I checked the labeling it was only packaged in Ireland. Didn't buy them again.

Well I know Tesco's Irish Cheddar actually has a UK stamp - although it could be Northern Ireland in fairness. But are you talking about fresh produce like 'Irish Strawberries'?

If they are doing that I would be most annoyed!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Digi_Tilmitt

Onions - New Zealand
    Apples - USA
    Tomatoes - Spain
    Strawberries - Holland
    Potatoes - Ireland
    Cabbage - UK
    Cauliflower - UK

Why are you only buying Irish products regardless of price or quality? This type of protectionism is disastrous for the economy, as well as your own financial well-being.

Why are you only buying Irish products regardless of price or quality? This type of protectionism is disastrous for the economy, as well as your own financial well-being.

Explain that one for us all...

Well I know Tesco's Irish Cheddar actually has a UK stamp - although it could be Northern Ireland in fairness. But are you talking about fresh produce like 'Irish Strawberries'?

If they are doing that I would be most annoyed!

No, it was one of those pre prepared vegetable things! Not a Tesco brand but many would assume the produce was Irish.

On the other side of this, I can get Clonakilty sausages in Tesco, can't in Dunnes or Super Value. There are other examples of Irish suppliers using Tesco to their advantage and getting big contracts.

Well you are free to check their sources and come up with alternatives if you doubt them.

It doesn't include taxes on moving money. I see your point on it being semi compulsive but statistics are generalisations! The average shopping basket is going to have goods at 0%, 21% and goods that have excise duties.

Indeed, fair point. Of course those high wages are a cost to businesses too and are passed onto the consumer.

Yes, but back to square one again, we have one of the highest consumption tax rates to counteract this. Taking income and our low tax on labour to argue we have high incomes, then ignoring taxes on what we spend that very income on, is being selective.

So in summary and getting back to the thread, we have high wages which are a cost of business passed onto the consumer, though the low direct taxes help to have higher disposable incomes. Those high disposable incomes are then affected by high indirect taxes.

Both the high wages and high indirect taxes affect the prices people pay. Perfect example being your one of ROI and the UK/NI.

That is your opinion. Personally I don't think Super Value, Dunnes, Aldi etc. would have introduced price cuts if Tesco didn't reduce theirs. They are all happy to charge what they want until they fear losing share.

I'm not on the side of any supermarket. The whole way that supermarkets trade and the hold they have on us as consumers is wrong in my opinion. I don't agree with how Tesco have asked their suppliers to take a 15% and in some cases a 20% cut in price (this is well documented over the past few weeks/months and reinforced by the IFA). If Dunnes or any other supermarket come out and demand the same from their suppliers then I think this is wrong also. I really cannot understand how people don't have a conscience about this as it is basically Tesco has refused to shoulder any of the reduction. I think what is evident is that Tesco have a very clever PR department and are looking to be the peoples hero and cutting their prices. Why now, why not a year ago... why not country wide at the same time like Dunnes? They are misleading their consumers, i,e. the signage in their store saying that their carrots come from Irish suppliers even though carrots are not in season in Ireland. I wish there was more investigation done on this but the Irish media seem to be either very very lazy about it or afraid to upset a major advertiser. I advise everyone I meet to avoid Tesco. I believe they will cause more problems than solve in the long run. This notion that they are interested in competition is the stupidest thing I have ever heard when their track record is to stamp out competition and create 'Tesco Towns'.

There is a quote from the NFA in the UK:
    "the world has changed and that competition policy is not just about securing the lowest possible prices for consumers - it also needs to take into account the long term sustainability of the supply chain" This is a point I totally agree with and I think it is dreadfully overlooked.

I'm not on the side of any supermarket. The whole way that supermarkets trade and the hold they have on us as consumers is wrong in my opinion. I don't agree with how Tesco have asked their suppliers to take a 15% and in some cases a 20% cut in price (this is well documented over the past few weeks/months and reinforced by the IFA). If Dunnes or any other supermarket come out and demand the same from their suppliers then I think this is wrong also. I really cannot understand how people don't have a conscience about this as it is basically Tesco has refused to shoulder any of the reduction. I think what is evident is that Tesco have a very clever PR department and are looking to be the peoples hero and cutting their prices. Why now, why not a year ago... why not country wide at the same time like Dunnes? They are misleading their consumers, i,e. the signage in their store saying that their carrots come from Irish suppliers even though carrots are not in season in Ireland. I wish there was more investigation done on this but the Irish media seem to be either very very lazy about it or afraid to upset a major advertiser. I advise everyone I meet to avoid Tesco. I believe they will cause more problems than solve in the long run. This notion that they are interested in competition is the stupidest thing I have ever heard when their track record is to stamp out competition and create 'Tesco Towns'.

There is a quote from the NFA in the UK:
    "the world has changed and that competition policy is not just about securing the lowest possible prices for consumers - it also needs to take into account the long term sustainability of the supply chain" This is a point I totally agree with and I think it is dreadfully overlooked.

The only reason Tesco are doing this is because they are losing to NI border stores. Tesco have very few border stores compared to Asda and others so are losing out in over all market share. As you say they are all the same and we should be asking them all, why now?

Superquinn have been sourcing there imports from NI for months, before Tesco announced this, but sure they're Irish! Dunnes are very secretive about what they do and Super Value can probably afford to take a hit as their owners are big players in the wholesale sector too.

I doubt if many see it as them being the peoples heroes, just glad to see prices being reduced and some competition. Personally I prefer seeing the money spent in my local town rather than Derry or Strabane as other local shops will benefit too. People don't have to shop there and they are taking a gamble as Irish people are generally brand snobs and do value guaranteed Irish goods.

On the carrots point! Yes they should state it's Irish produce where possible. It depends on whether it was genuinely misleading or an oversight and it wasn't worded precisely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Onions - New Zealand
    Apples - USA
    Tomatoes - Spain
    Strawberries - Holland
    Potatoes - Ireland
    Cabbage - UK
    Cauliflower - UK
    1. Irish onions are not in season yet
    2. Irish apples are not in season yet
    3. Spanish tomatoes are defininitly out of season, they must be either Irish or Dutch
    4. There are a lot of Dutch strawberries on sale, but Irish are available in the better greengrocers
    5. Beans -IMO Irish are not in season yet
    6. Potatoes - make sure that they are queens, much nicer than home guard
    7. Irish cabbage should be available to a good greengrocer
    8. Irish cauliflower should be available to a good greengrocer
    All the Irish produce that I have mentioned above I can buy from our local greengrocers which are locally grown, along with carrots, lettuces (iceberg, lollo rosso, oakleaf, soft butterhead, little gem), broccoli, swedes/turnips, celery, gooseberries and blackcurrants

Time to challenge your local greengrocer? to start stocking/procuring local produce instead of whats on offer from the wholesaler

Advertisement