Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shame on Tesco - Removing Irish Brands from its Stores

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Quinnsworth

:confused: Do you not realize that Quinnsworth are not trading anymore? - they were taken over by Tesco, about ten years ago, so what are you on about? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

They're not just removing Irish products now. It seems that after a visit from their UK price coordinator a couple of weeks back they are increasing the prices on some stock that other retailers do not carry.

As an example, Cravendale filtered milk was €2.45 for 2lt. Ok, it's a little expensive but it does taste better and lasts longer than other offerings.

Current price €2.45 for 1Lt and 2Lt bottles are no longer available.

Now that's Tesco at their Finest

It does seem odd importing milk from England.

Coals to Newcastle.

"Cravendale is the number one branded fresh milk in the UK. Unlike ordinary fresh milk, Cravendale undergoes a unique filtration process prior to pasteurisation which removes more of the bacteria that can cause milk to sour, but lets all the nutrients and goodness pass through.

Cravendale, as a result of its purity, keeps fresh in the fridge for up to 25 days and our consumers tell us that it has a delicious, fresh and creamy taste."
    http://www.arla.com/products/milk/cravendale/lactofree-whole-2l/

25 days that is a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

cfcj wrote: »
    As for your other uninformed drivel then please go and understand how Tesco has treated its suppliers both here in Ireland and in the UK. I don't see any reports claiming that any other supermarket chain have demanded the same cuts in prices from suppliers.

So you get all your 'facts' from newpaper reports and t.v. ? Just because you haven't seen any newspaper reports doesn't mean it doesn't happen. If you have ever worked in the industry you'll realise they're all the same. You think Dunnes just gives the suppliers the first price they're asked for ? Not a chance in hell, Dunnes are probably one of the most ruthless out there. But that doesn't suit your agenda does it.

And as I said in another thread, ask yourself why Boots in Ireland use Coca-Cola in the UK to keep their fridges stocked rather than from the local supplier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭cfcj

Jip wrote: »
    So you get all your 'facts' from newpaper reports and t.v. ? Just because you haven't seen any newspaper reports doesn't mean it doesn't happen. If you have ever worked in the industry you'll realise they're all the same. You think Dunnes just gives the suppliers the first price they're asked for ? Not a chance in hell, Dunnes are probably one of the most ruthless out there. But that doesn't suit your agenda does it.

And as I said in another thread, ask yourself why Boots in Ireland use Coca-Cola in the UK to keep their fridges stocked rather than from the local supplier.

And what is my agenda??

No, because I can't present any evidence means I cannot accuse Dunnes of something, even if I know it is true or not. This is a basic rule of the site. And if there was evidence be sure I would be gunning for Dunnes also.

I have worked for 14 years in retail and never worked for a company that engages in forced or child labour. The suggestion that retailers must and always put suppliers over a barrel is nonsense.

I don't need to ask myself anything about Coca Cola, in general saying 'well they are doing it too' is a poor excuse. There are other places to get your groceries... well hopefully unless you live in a 'Tesco Town'.

I wonder what needs to happen before you would boycott a company, for me the child labour was enough. Maybe you find that acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Dark Stanley.

dh0661 wrote: »
    :confused: Do you not realize that Quinnsworth are not trading anymore? - they were taken over by Tesco, about ten years ago, so what are you on about? :confused:
    Don't be so pedantic, you knew what I meant.

Try Londis and Mace...............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

One of the guys at work bought a pack of Tetley tea bags in Tesco Dundalk. Inside was three free tea bags of another variety and a coupon for 30 pence off the price of a pack of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

One of the guys at work bought a pack of Tetley tea bags in Tesco Dundalk. Inside was three free tea bags of another variety and a coupon for 30 pence off the price of a pack of these.

Oh my god, the humanity !!!!!! Eh, this happens all the time with products that's produced in the UK, nothing to see here, move along now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

dh0661 wrote: »
    Probably superquinn, I get them mixed up the whole time aswel

1huge1 wrote: »
    Probably superquinn, I get them mixed up the whole time aswel
    DOH! Yep 'SuperQuinn', Super meaning extortionate prices.......

Thank you for bringing it to my attention. My memory's shot, I think it's an age thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Don't be so pedantic, you knew what I meant.

I had a very different reply before I read your last post :o (reason for edit) - anyway this thread has gone way off the "shame on tesco"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

we all buy too much ****e nowdays...we should grow our own veg,have our own chickens and the corner shop would do for everything else we need
    Then we all wouldn't have to worry where Tesco are buying their goods :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tesco already putting up prices in their new pricing stores

tesco value teabags 80pk was 44c now 59c an increase of 34%

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Harolds+

I can't believe Irish people are still shopping there.

Why don't people just boycott the store and get on with it. That goes for Marks and Spencer.

I personally wouldn't consume anything made in England as they have the highest levels of oestrogen in its water supply and sorry but I don't want to be a Bee Gee or have male bosoms in the late future.

Please support your local stores or Lidl and/or Aldi whereby most of their food is sourced in mainland Europe and Ireland.

Yes, I am aware that Irish people work there but I don't care and would never shop there :P

PS In case you don't know or can't remember but the Brits were smart to boycott Irish products during the Troubles so don't feel anyway ashamed

Harolds+ wrote: »

Why don't people just boycott the store and get on with it. That goes for Marks and Spencer.

I personally wouldn't consume anything made in England as they have the highest levels of oestrogen in its water supply and sorry but I don't want to be a Bee Gee or have male bosoms in the late future.

Please support your local stores or Lidl and/or Aldi whereby most of their food is sourced in mainland Europe and Ireland.

Yes, I am aware that Irish people work there but I don't care and would never shop there :P

PS In case you don't know or can't remember but the Brits were smart to boycott Irish products during the Troubles so don't feel anyway ashamed

so if you ran out of petrol beside a tesco forecourt and nowhere else was open and you had no phone???

benj wrote: »
    so if you ran out of petrol beside a tesco forecourt and nowhere else was open and you had no phone???

You mean people don't carry petrol cans in the booth?

Of course there are times when you have to do these things but alot of things are avoidable in life and Tesco is one of them

Superquinns might be expensive but its far better quality than Marks &
    Spencer

Tesco sells muck and if anyone can tell me they sell decent generic items then they need to cop on.

And I never plan to consume petrol unless I want to protest against An Bord Snip's plan to ruin the public service ;)

You mean people don't carry petrol cans in the booth?

Of course there are times when you have to do these things but alot of things are avoidable in life and Tesco is one of them

Superquinns might be expensive but its far better quality than Marks &
    Spencer

Tesco sells muck and if anyone can tell me they sell decent generic items then they need to cop on.

And I never plan to consume petrol unless I want to protest against An Bord Snip's plan to ruin the public service ;)

Tbh i don't really care that much for Tesco allthough
    i bought some nice fairtrade tea there last night...
    i think most of these grocery giants are clones of each other,
    if i could afford it i'd shop in the local corner shop :)

p.s only certain type of ppl carry cans of petrol in the boot :D

Aldi
    Lidl
    Mace
    Supervalu
    Spar (you deserved to get robbed going here)
    Superquinn (for luxury and Irish sourced products and equally as extortinate as the British inferior products )
    and other local stores would do.

and I would rather get caught with a can of petrol in the booth than a bag of tesco or Marks and Spencer products :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,046 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Irish goods were sold in UK stores before, during and after. I was there and I was buying it, and I wasn't hallucinating.

Tesco isn't the only supermarket chain supplying UK manufactured goods. Musgrave and their franchisees, Dunnes, Superquinn, and every other grocery shop in the land is selling stuff manufactured in the UK.

There must be so much oestregen kicking around, I'm surprised bra sales haven't sky-rocketed in gents outfitters.:eek:

If possible I try to buy Irish and I am fully aware that Dunnes (don't shop there) and Superquinns sell British products but choose to avoid it.

Not everything in your shopping trolley is made in England (unless you buy in Dunnes, Tesco etc).

I'm sure its even possible to buy Primrose Oil in Superquinn/Aldi/Lidl that is not made in Britain :P

If possible I try to buy Irish and I am fully aware that Dunnes (don't shop there) and Superquinns sell British products but choose to avoid it.

Not everything in your shopping trolley is made in England (unless you buy in Dunnes, Tesco etc).

I'm sure its even possible to buy Primrose Oil in Superquinn/Aldi/Lidl that is not made in Britain :P

Primrose oil?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭rameire

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Primrose oil?:confused:

yes, did you not know that it is now part of the staple diet of the irish, you can boil it you can filter it, you can rub it, you can drink it, you can drown in it, its just the best.
    and everyone buys it.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

"sell British" "made in England". What and burn everything except their coal. Send a slate home for the roof Michael........
    If your brain was made of SEMTEX there wouldn't be enough to blow the snot out of your nose.......

rameire wrote: »
    yes, did you not know that it is now part of the staple diet of the irish, you can boil it you can filter it, you can rub it, you can drink it, you can drown in it, its just the best.
    and everyone buys it.

Alarmingly enough, Evening Primrose oil is used by the wimmins to combat the effects of PMS. Sometimes they have too much and sometimes not enough.:eek:

My point or joke with Primrose Oil was that you don't have to buy the English version to grow [EMAIL="t@ts"]t@ts[/EMAIL] :P

Re Dark Stanley

Well Brits are a strange lot and you're joke was typical of the anti-Irish rant stating and/or comparing the Irish being stupid and with the IRA during their campaign

Some things never change, eh!

PS Stanley is a real give away ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

now you're just trolling, rather than saying buy irish, you're saying buy nothing that has anything to do with the UK

now you're just trolling, rather than saying buy irish, you're saying buy nothing that has anything to do with the UK

BUY IRISH :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Hangsangwich

benj wrote: »
    we all buy too much ****e nowdays...we should grow our own veg,have our own chickens and the corner shop would do for everything else we need
    Then we all wouldn't have to worry where Tesco are buying their goods :D

Aaaah, the good life! Lovely in theory. And I agree with you in principle. But the majority of people in Ireland could not be bothered with all the effort involved. Have you ever killed a chicken yourself, and then plucked all the feathers off before preparing it for the oven/pot? It's a lot of effort, and definitely not for the squeamish.
    If there was a worldwide economic collapse caused by something like the collapse(fall in confidence) of the US dollar which would drag all other currencies down with it, (not so far-fetched as many might think), then businesses would simply shut up shop, and the scenario you mention would become a matter of survival. We would be back to the proverbial "trading goats". Wouldn't that be fun?

BUY IRISH :D

It seems to me that you would still buy Irish, or "think" that you were buying Irish, even if your enemies in the grocery trade offered you free UK sourced goods.

In this situation, the only one ripping you off is you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

I've probably said this a million times but at this stage I don't care what Tesco/Dunnes/Supervalu etc etc etc sell in their shops because I'll never set foot over their doorsteps again.

As far as I'm concerned these companies made excessive profits when people were happy to pay insane prices for their goods. Now that the customer isn't willing to pay - they try to squeeze the supplier and anyone else for that matter to keep their profits up and god forbid the share price falls in the face of consumer decline.

To use a quote from star trek - "good customers are as rare as latinum, treasure them" - the multiples in this country don't give a toss about their customers

I hope they enjoy the money they got from me but they'll never see another penny. I now do all my shopping in Lidl/Aldi and anything I can't get there I'll source elsewhere - quick run to NI every couple of months :)

Riv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

RiverWilde wrote: »
    I've probably said this a million times but at this stage I don't care what Tesco/Dunnes/Supervalu etc etc etc sell in their shops because I'll never set foot over their doorsteps again.

As far as I'm concerned these companies made excessive profits when people were happy to pay insane prices for their goods. Now that the customer isn't willing to pay - they try to squeeze the supplier and anyone else for that matter to keep their profits up and god forbid the share price falls in the face of consumer decline.

To use a quote from star trek - "good customers are as rare as latinum, treasure them" - the multiples in this country don't give a toss about their customers

I hope they enjoy the money they got from me but they'll never see another penny. I now do all my shopping in Lidl/Aldi and anything I can't get there I'll source elsewhere - quick run to NI every couple of months :)

Riv

I like your actions :)

Up North for us as much as possible, Aldi\Lidl for weekly stuff and boycott the remaining rip off multiples.

Advertisement