Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shame on Tesco - Removing Irish Brands from its Stores

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it was on the radio this morning as tesco are cutting prices in border stores after a slump in sales against their border competitors like asda etc. by stocking more 'international brands' and there are fears that this means less irish produce and loss of irish jobs etc. etc.

fair enough, so the consumer has voted with their feet and tesco have to shape up to compete which makes sound business sense to me.

is that not a sign that irish producers ned to look to heir own house and shake things up so they can offer a competitive product?

we're supposed to be part of europe, how come we can't compete with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I complained in my local Tesco because they didn't have Lá Breá bread - Irish-made and good bread - and it arrived back on the shelves. I don't know if it was my complaint, but I complained at the information desk, and made sure to ask them to write it in the book, and asked them to make sure the complaint (polite and nice, by the way) went up to headquarters.

If customers do that - say "Sorry, I'm not shopping here if there aren't (specific) Irish goods", they'll have an effect.

Otherwise, go to Lidl, who do buy Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

luckat wrote: »
    Otherwise, go to Lidl, who do buy Irish.
    Very good - I didn't realise that. In what areas? Dairy & meat, or across the board?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hagar wrote: »
    Would you not have the good grace grace to concede the point when the OP's point has been shown to be valid? The full extent of the changes will become obvious before too long.

Well, Tesco statement is out, and the main point of the OP is still denied, main points are below (quoting from RTE.IE/news).

Remember the OP mentions that he has a vested interest in the matter, working for one of the irish food producers (or was it a distributor?).
    • Dozens of Irish produced brands in Tesco stores are set to come under significant price pressure from today as they face fresh competition from cheaper imported equivalents
    • Tesco says the stores will carry the same groceries but they will be sourced from the UK rather than through local Irish distributors because of new international purchasing arrangements.
    • Tesco vehemently denies it is cutting ties with Irish producers, and says today's initiative is about its Irish customers

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Interesting that it's only the Border Stores that will experience the price changes but what's the betting that Eddie Hobbs and other muppets will be on shouting about how great it is that Tesco are dropping prices...

Shop around, shop around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

• Tesco vehemently denies it is cutting ties with Irish producers, and says today's initiative is about its Irish customers
    Today's initiative is about safeguarding profit, nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Tesco vehemently denies it is cutting ties with Irish producers, and says today's initiative is about its Irish customers
    Their real focus is stopping those euros going to Sainsburys and Asda. How they acheive that is their business. Rest assured if that means shafting Irish distributors so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭celt262

It's about keeping these stores open. I know that the Tesco in Monaghan was/is under threat of closure because of people going over the border shopping, and the Cavan store isnt doing a lot either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

parsi wrote: »
    Interesting that it's only the Border Stores that will experience the price changes

I'm guessing that's just the begining, I doubt somewhere with so many stores could have closed them all and reopened them over the weekend.

If Tesco can source Irish products cheaper via the UK, and I've no doubt they can, I can't see the problem here. It's the suppliers that are either making a tidy profit or operating very inefficiently. People have been whinging on this forum about 'rip off Ireland', when someone tries do anything about it, they still whinge, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

And those talking about shopping in Dunnes rather than Tescos, next time you're there ask where all their chicken you buy from the hot food counter comes from ? And then ask Tescos.

celt262 wrote: »
    It's about keeping these stores open. I know that the Tesco in Monaghan was/is under threat of closure because of people going over the border shopping, and the Cavan store isnt doing a lot either.
    And who's fault is that? You can hardly blame people for shopping in NI when the retailers in the republic are taking everyone for a ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭celt262

Bond-007 wrote: »
    And who's fault is that? You can hardly blame people for shopping in NI when the retailers in the republic are taking everyone for a ride.

That is why they are changing there stores, to become more competitive. God some people are very jumpy this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pat Kenny just had a feature from Bandit Country and the prices are reduced 20% in Tesco, they vox-popped a customer who went North to grocery shop and who was pleased as punch and sees no reason to bother making the trip to Newry now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

has anyone here been to one of these stores today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

Plan on heading to one now in a while, purely to price some goods. Andrex toilet rolls will be my first point of call, usually €8.50 in there compared to €5.50 in NI, if it's a small price more i'll give it the thumbs up, also hair product i use was €6.30 in Tesco compared to €3.30 in NI.

mike65 wrote: »
    Pat Kenny just had a feature from Bandit Country and the prices are reduced 20% in Tesco, they vox-popped a customer who went North to grocery shop and who was pleased as punch and sees no reason to bother making the trip to Newry now.
    They sure are out fighting the propaganda war this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

I'm late into this thread but I just heard some of the feature on Pat Kenny this morning.
    One of the examples the shopper in the border counties mentioned was Tropicana and a massive saving on that compared to its earlier price in Irish Tesco stores.
    So - how does Tesco manage to bring that price way down. Loss leader ?
    or is it the Irish wholesaler/distributor who was having us for lunch ?
    Or is this all smoke and mirrors and really Tesco are cutting back on their own margins to increase their market share ...

perplexed...

-ifc

Bond-007 wrote: »
    They sure are out fighting the propaganda war this morning.

What, you saying the customer that an RTE reporter vox popped was a plant ?

ipconfig, it seems that it was option B, wholesaler/distributer having us for lunch but there's probably a bit of everything.

Jip wrote: »
    What, you saying the customer that an RTE reporter vox popped was a plant ?
    It wouldn't surprise me.

Maybe if Tesco start stocking little tin foil hats you may become their best customer.

I buys all my tin foil in Enniskillen. ;)

• Advertisement

Buy now you may not have too, everybodys happy as you know that when you cross the border people with bowler hats try catch you to make you protestant, apparently :)

LOL! :D

They must have caputured me years ago so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

As a publically traded company I would hope that's their goal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hagar do you shop at Carrefour for anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

mike65 wrote: »
    Hagar do you shop at Carrefour for anything?

Le SuperValu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭escobar

snubbleste wrote: »
    Just re-read the OP's first post
    He seems to got the news story accurate

Well done OP, shame on the rest of ye!

Maybe some journo will take up Dermot Breen on this issue?

Yeah..... point proven by the OP. A few apologies are in order............... It's all very cynical on Tesco's part.

The fact is that Tesco already charge more than both Superquinn and Dunnes on all branded goods. This is an indisputable fact .
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...breaking45.htm

So to blame it on Irish producers so that they can source produce from England is wrong. Tesco are obviously showing a bias towards their home country in this economic down turn, to our detriment.

Considering they have about 22 % of the grocery market this is very worrying and could do untold damage to our economy.

As Tesco say themselves “every little helps”.

It seems though they were talking about their own country and profit margins and not their customers grocery bills.

I for one am not going to shop in Tesco anymore.... what a shower of |*****

AARRRGH wrote: »
    As a publically traded company I would hope that's their goal...

I've seen various posts referring to a number of retailers only being interested in the "bottom line", e.g. Tesco, Dunnes, SuperValue etc etc, but it's plain that if any retailer isn't, they might as well shut up shop. I'd say that even Oxfam charity shops are only interested in the bottom line.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 The Major

Just back from Tesco in Bailieboro , they were handing out leaflets at the entrance with the price cuts (about 70 in total) , here is a sample of some of the better ones(Euro prices).

Loose Bananas/Kg from 1.49 to 0.99
    Tesco finest sirloin steak/Kg from 19.79 to 15.99
    Andrex toilet tissue white 9 roll from 8.29 to 5.79
    Tesco finest howcroft estate shiraz 75cl from 13.69 to 6.84
    Durex extra safe 12s from 11.99 to 7.25
    Evian mineral water 2ltr from 1.79 to 0.89
    Bulmers cider 8 pack 8 X 500ml from 18.59 to 14.99

There were plenty of other reductions that weren't on the leaflet e.g. washing powder and dishwasher tablets were to be half price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I've seen various posts referring to a number of retailers only being interested in the "bottom line", e.g. Tesco, Dunnes, SuperValue etc etc, but it's plain that if any retailer isn't, they might as well shut up shop. I'd say that even Oxfam charity shops are only interested in the bottom line.
    Yes but some posters (see the post above yours for example) appear to believe that they exist to prop up a food industry and suppliers who can't be competative in EU let alone the world.

• Advertisement

escobar wrote: »
    Yeah..... point proven by the OP. A few apologies are in order............... It's all very cynical on Tesco's part.

The fact is that Tesco already charge more than both Superquinn and Dunnes on all branded goods. This is an indisputable fact .
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...breaking45.htm

So to blame it on Irish producers so that they can source produce from England is wrong. Tesco are obviously showing a bias towards their home country in this economic down turn, to our detriment.

Considering they have about 22 % of the grocery market this is very worrying and could do untold damage to our economy.

As Tesco say themselves “every little helps”.

It seems though they were talking about their own country and profit margins and not their customers grocery bills.

I for one am not going to shop in Tesco anymore.... what a shower of |*****

So it's ok for people here to flood the North on shopping expeditions, but it's not ok for a retailer to buy stuff on the cheap?

I think that Tesco will do more to drive down the prices here than any government or consumer agency ever did.

Advertisement