Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest place to buy contact lenses?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Thanks for that warning Squiggle! lucky i hadn't ordered! they wooed me with their free delivery! I'll check out another option i think!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Squiggle

No problem. If you read through the whole thread you will see plenty of alternatives and personally I have had positive experiences of dealing with Yourlenses, Lensbase, Daysoftlenses and Optical Institute, all of whom are based in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

lilmizzme wrote: »
    Ordered a batch of daysoft lenses last week and am absolutlely delighted with them...wore them the last two days and not so much as an itch with them in for most of the day! I did notice their texture seemed a little different to my usual focus dailies, they seemed a bit more flimsy or thinner somehow. Just have to be careful handling them I guess. I also love the strip method of packaging, saves so much waste! I ordered a one month supply as a tril run for 15 euro, but I'll definitely be back to get my 6 months supply for over 50% cheaper than what I was paying!

Thanks for bringing my attention to them boardsies! :D

I'm a focus dailies user as well and am now tempted to switch over!

I used to buy from lensbase.com, 3 months supply of focus dailies is €79 with shipping, as opposed to my local optician which was €110 for three months and i wear mine pretty much everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Nari85

has anyone ordered from daysoft?how long was delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Yes, was six days, but that includes a Sat & Sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

To be honest guys, I moved from acuvue advance fornightly contact lenses to daysoft, and I unfortunately don't think I'll be doing it again. I just found the dailies a pain to get in, and they oftentimes dried up/became really uncomfortable if I went from one hot room to a cold room, or vica versa.

What also turned me off was that if I started wearing them during the day, and wanted to go out that night, it required two changes. And even if I did change, the above would happen (they would become very uncomfortable in a night club, or warm environment, etc)..

a couple of my daysoft lenses were un comfortable after i put them in... so i took them out... on examining them i saw that there were couple of tiny bits missing... maybe they are more delicate than other lenses and i damaged them with my hand.

Have had no problems with them other than that, so will be getting them again.

Went for an eye test the other day and the optician was saying that focus monthly lenses are called optilens or optrex or something.... he was wondering was i getting lenses that could be out of date... Anybody know if this is just a branding issue in different countries (got my lenses from germany i think) or was the optician jus trying to con me into buying lenses from him!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

a couple of my daysoft lenses were un comfortable after i put them in... so i took them out... on examining them i saw that there were couple of tiny bits missing... maybe they are more delicate than other lenses and i damaged them with my hand.

Actually had the same problem myself, the edges from some of them were missing. I must say I do have astigmatism, so that may have aggravated the daysoft lenses.

However, on the plus side, I'm after finding out that 12 pairs (that's 24 weeks - 6 months) of Acuvue Advance are €60 on accuity.co.uk and €65 on getlenses.ie.... BARGAIN! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Hey all...going for my aftercare contact lens exam today...also picking up my first months supply of Focus Visitint Dailies...

I know nothing about contacts..has anyone used them? Would anyone recomment a different lens instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

I use monthlies and just ordered 12 months supply of Air Optix for €133, incl solution.

www.123optic.com

I used to use getlenses.ie but now they've changed to UK based, and are ridiculously more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Squiggle

I use monthlies and just ordered 12 months supply of Air Optix for €133, incl solution.

www.123optic.com
    That's a very good price for Air Optix and I see they're EU based ( Belgium ) - I'd be interested in hearing how you get on with these guys !

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭yelselseivad

I got stung like many others ordering from Eurolens.ie As I used a link from Pigsback (Thankfully they've now removed it so might prevent some others falling into the same trap) and because it had .ie and free postage to Europe on their site I presume I was ordering from Ireland. I contacted Visa who said I had to wait a month before they could refund me and low and behold on day 29 the lens arrived along with a request from the delivery guy for €50. Wish I'd read this post before I ordered. We were waiting so long for the delivery that I had to order more as my son ran out so got them in double quick time from Yourlenses.com who I'd used before and deliver from Sweden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Idina

Any updates on 123optic.com Chocoholic?
    I want to place an order with these guys today - did you get your lenses yet? I like the fact that you can order 1 box to try them out - Im the same perscription in both eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Got my first pack of daysoft lenses. My brand is focus dailies

I find the daysoftlenses version is nowhere near as comfortable and a bitch getting them into the eye.

Perhaps there's a more suitable style I should choose off their website?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Bakharwaldog

Got my first pack of daysoft lenses. My brand is focus dailies

I find the daysoftlenses version is nowhere near as comfortable and a bitch getting them into the eye.

Perhaps there's a more suitable style I should choose off their website?

I thought that when i furst got them. Found them hard to get in as the instructions were dodgy enough and then they were kind of tight but i got used to it. There as comfortable as my focus dailes were now and the price is so much better. Highly recommend them

c_k_m wrote: »
    I thought that when i furst got them. Found them hard to get in as the instructions were dodgy enough and then they were kind of tight but i got used to it. There as comfortable as my focus dailes were now and the price is so much better. Highly recommend them

Yeah I found them harder to get in when I got them too... I also got used to them... more economical packaging too, so just take it a bit slower when opening!

I also used to use focus dailies... Now i use these and focus monthlys. The cost saving is definitely worth the adjustment!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

Idina wrote: »
    Any updates on 123optic.com Chocoholic?
    I want to place an order with these guys today - did you get your lenses yet? I like the fact that you can order 1 box to try them out - Im the same perscription in both eyes.

H Idina, yes received them and all in order!
    Takes about a week and a half to get them from date of order - I will definitely be ordering from these guys in future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

yes im delighted i managed to order contact lenses from the mainland, sooooooo much less hassle than the rip off crap in ireland, no more having to order the lenses in store than come back days later for them, no more " contact lens fitting charge" what a rip... i buy my solution in tesco waaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than the pathetic opticians here..... i lived in holland before so i didnt even have to make an "appointment" there, was only charged for lens there, my lens are in germany now and should be here soon ( sooner, only for the drug obsessed idiots working at the portlaoise sorting office ) :D:);):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

charlemont wrote: »
    i managed to order contact lenses from the mainland
    :eek:
    charlemont wrote: »
    the drug obsessed idiots working at the portlaoise sorting office ) :D:);):)
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 GalwayMarion

I feel the opticians in Ireland are a total rip off as well!! I have been wearing contacts for over 30 years now, without problems. You just order them online, at a fraction of the price these guys in Ireland charge you, and that is it, no hassle with prescriptions you need to send in or anything.

The other day my son had to have his eyes checked after wearing contacts for 4 years, as he felt they needed to be adjusted in focal strength. So we went into Specsavers, as we used to do in Holland (we lived there) to get a lens power eye check for free. Boy, was I wrong....

No way I could get an eye check just like that, no, I had to make an appointment and hand over his original prescription. Oh, and the 'for free' doesn't count in Ireland. They charge you 20 euro just to get a simple eye focal-strength check. Any idiot that is able to turn knobs and use a keyboard can handle those machines once instructed, but no, the opticians charge 20 euro

So we went to an independent optician. Even worse!! If we could not hand her the original prescription she certainly would have to start from scratch, even when I told her the prescription!! Cause I know it by heart. Starting from scratch was 70 euro. Insane!! I asked her why, and she told me that SHE was responsible for my sons eyes and this was the law, and she was an optometrist so she would know better. Well, I could tell her the following:

1) I find it a disgrace that opticians in Ireland treat their work like it is some medical profession. Because it is NOT! They are not even allowed to diagnose people or prescribe medication, they are only allowed to refer people of whom they think they have a problem with their eyes to a proper eye doctor and for the rest do nothing but little eye tests on peoples focus, no more. So she is totally NOT responsible for my sons eyes, he is. And if he wants to mess them up, it is his good right! Regardless her feeling important cause 'she is an optometrist'.

2) In Holland you can walk into any specsavers and they will give you a free of charge eye test!! Once you know what power your lenses should be you can order them online, at way cheaper prices than those absurdly insane charges at opticians here. It is almost even worth taking a plane from Dubs to Holland and get an eye check there cause that is even cheaper than when you do it in Ireland.

I know it is the law in Ireland that makes things so complicated here, but it is unnecessary to go through all this once a year, and waste a lot of money on regular eye checks. So until they change that stupid law just order your lenses online, at some supplier that does not ask you to send in a prescription. And whenever you are on holidays on the mainland pop in to any optician and get a prescription for free!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

thanks for the above thread...i used to live in bunschoten spakenburg and getting eyes tested there was as easy like going to the shop for milk....fcuk ireland.. ****hole

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

If only Daysoft knew the new business it was getting from this thread alone. I just ordered another 4 months supply of lenses from them today for €47.92. Aside from that amazing price, their website is super easy to navigate and their service is prompt and professional.

Commission cheques payable to Squiggle.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I'm sorry but this made my blood boil and I just had to correct you

1) I find it a disgrace that opticians in Ireland treat their work like it is some medical profession. Because it is NOT! They are not even allowed to diagnose people or prescribe medication, they are only allowed to refer people of whom they think they have a problem with their eyes to a proper eye doctor and for the rest do nothing but little eye tests on peoples focus, no more. So she is totally NOT responsible for my sons eyes, he is. And if he wants to mess them up, it is his good right! Regardless her feeling important cause 'she is an optometrist'.

2) In Holland you can walk into any specsavers and they will give you a free of charge eye test!! Once you know what power your lenses should be you can order them online, at way cheaper prices than those absurdly insane charges at opticians here. It is almost even worth taking a plane from Dubs to Holland and get an eye check there cause that is even cheaper than when you do it in Ireland.

I know it is the law in Ireland that makes things so complicated here, but it is unnecessary to go through all this once a year, and waste a lot of money on regular eye checks. So until they change that stupid law just order your lenses online, at some supplier that does not ask you to send in a prescription. And whenever you are on holidays on the mainland pop in to any optician and get a prescription for free!!

In response to your first point. An optometrist IS a medical professional and is classed as one in Ireland. http://www.optometrists.ie/Pagecarrier11.aspx
    We are not just checking the "focal point" of the eye. We check the health, ensure your son isn't doing permanent damage to his eyes from wearing contacts which can happen.
    The optometrist is responsible for your son's eyes. Check the law it is the prescribing optometrist who is held responsible for the health of your son's eyes.

By all means order your contact lenses online but please do not neglect your regular eye checks. For €20 you get the health of the eyes checked and if there is the beginning of any problem it can be detected and stopped from getting to a stage where you would have to stop lens wear altogether.

If anyone has any questions with regard to the law in Ireland etc feel free to PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Decided to give Daysoft a shot after reading this thread and got my order today. At first I thought they'd messed up my order because the packaging was so small for a two month supply.
    I have been wearing them all day today and they are without a doubt the most comfortable lenses I have ever used!
    Usually I have to put in Eye Drops twice a day to prevent my Acuvue Moists from drying out. I didn't have to use Eye drops at all today.

I can't believe they are only 5.99 a box as well. I am so over the moon with this discovery as money is so tight at the mo. I paid less than 25 euro for two months, when usually I pay €50 for 1 month in my local opticians!

Thank you so much guys for reccomending them.

Im a bit worried I might be opening them wrong or something as I got an email and leaflet telling me how to open them so they must be really diffcult to open? I just peeled back the grey bit on one of the contacts,it was simple :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

panda100 wrote: »

Im a bit worried I might be opening them wrong or something as I got an email and leaflet telling me how to open them so they must be really diffcult to open? I just peeled back the grey bit on one of the contacts,it was simple :confused:

not sure why they make such a big deal about opening them either

(my optician reckoned they fit great on my eyes and he cant get any where near on price ) i've had a bout a years worth now and they are great (ive been wearing lenses for about 20 years)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

panda100 wrote: »
    Decided to give Daysoft a shot after reading this thread and got my order today. At first I thought they'd messed up my order because the packaging was so small for a two month supply.
    I have been wearing them all day today and they are without a doubt the most comfortable lenses I have ever used!
    Usually I have to put in Eye Drops twice a day to prevent my Acuvue Moists from drying out. I didn't have to use Eye drops at all today.

I can't believe they are only 5.99 a box as well. I am so over the moon with this discovery as money is so tight at the mo. I paid less than 25 euro for two months, when usually I pay €50 for 1 month in my local opticians!

What are acuvue? Maybe just the daysofts I chose are rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

What are acuvue? Maybe just the daysofts I chose are rubbish

contact daysoft tell them your problems, i found them very helpful (even saying i could return boxes of lenses when my prescription changed)

it could even be there lenses dont suit your eyes, considering over the years ive had meny different types, i've even noticed quality changes wehen they move to new factories

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

I ordered contacts from opticalinstitute.com lately. Great price but they took ages to arrive - over 2 weeks from when I ordered them. It took a full week for them to even be posted and then another 8 days to arrive. I would order from them in future because their acuvue advance are €35 (!!) cheaper than my optician but I'd order in plenty of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dolores67

Prices seem good, anyone know how long they take to deliver?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I would usually wear Acuvue Moist (used to get them from Opticians Online) and they would last maybe 7 or 8 hours. Anyone recommend any that would last all day? I'd like to try weekly ones too :)

Advertisement