Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John McGuinness on the Late Late

Options
  • 24-04-2009 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭

Eh, anyone else see that!? Pulling a Dessie o Malley or what!?? Make for some good headlines in the morning i think.......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Woger

Anything worthwhile or sour grapes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ccmac98

Biffo will be going nuts...he'll be hittin the pints tonight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Seemed very much like a chap venting the chip on his shoulder. Another session of telling us the problems and not a solution anywhere. Whether this chap has the clout to rock the boat in any way, I'm sceptical to be honest. If he walked from the party and someone else followed then it'd get interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

Stumbled upon it there.

Really put the boot in on Coughlan, you get the impression that a lot of the backbenchers think she is an idiot.

But he's looking after himself isnt he? I dont think he would be there if he wasnt sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

He is nothing but a self serving, conniving, Fianna Failer. The Irish people wont see through his act of trying to play opposition while in government.This man voted in favour of abolishing the medical cards for the over 70's as well as the *10 budgets we have had in the last 3 months.

FF are incompetent, all of them.This guttersnipe amongst them.

*maybe a slight exaggeration:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If he found FF so bad, then why didn't he quit his junior ministry and FF?

nothing wrong with trying to abolish over 70s medical cards...they only came in in 2002 anyway....why should wealthy people over 70 get free medication while younger people who are struggling to get by ,have to fork out for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Really put the boot in on Coughlan, you get the impression that a lot of the backbenchers think she is an idiot.

I think it is the proverbial "Elephant In The Room" that she is not capable. Very strange choice as second in command I thought. Jumped a lot of good people to get it.

As far as McGuinness, like was said above, if he hated FF so much he never resigned his Ministry as a protest. He seems bitter over the fact that he was dropped when someone like Mary Coughlan is a full Minister. I cant imagine him staying in the party after this outburst (whether jumping or pushed). An opportunist five seconds of fame, wonder what he is gonna do with it?

ccmac98 wrote: »
    nothing wrong with trying to abolish over 70s medical cards...they only came in in 2002 anyway....why should wealthy people over 70 get free medication while younger people who are struggling to get by ,have to fork out for it.

I agree with this, it was a good idea but very very badly introduced to much confusion and mass hysteria. And the amount of money the government spends on PR..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Stumbled upon it there.

But he's looking after himself isnt he? I dont think he would be there if he wasnt sacked.

FFS she' bloody useless. WAS a half decent Minister for Agriculture

• Advertisement

There's a difference between Fiannia Fail and parliamentary Fianna Fail...while being out of favour with the Parliamentary side of the part is inevitable after this solo performance , he's hedgeing his bets that he'll gain support at a grass roots level...and then win favour within the parliamentary party again at a future date under a new leadership which is looking sooner rather than later...a probable shrewd move....also , he never said he hated Fianna Fail, just that he thought the leadership of the parliamentary party had lost touch with fianna Failers around the country at a local level.......he's trying to distance the local level party members form the parliamentary party Fianna fail coz they're afraid they will get hammered in the local elections coming up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Woger

I think we should have a vote, anyone got any machines?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

We don't need the likes of McGuinness to tell us how bad FF are. He stuck with them long enough and is just sore because he was dispensible.

I agree she's totally useless...there coz she's half presentable as a politician goes....while minister for agriculture , a heckler asked her of she knew the difference between a cow and a hefer....she declined to answer.....

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I think it is the proverbial "Elephant In The Room" that she is not capable. Very strange choice as second in command I thought. Jumped a lot of good people to get it.
    A "lot of good people" in the Fianna Fáil parliamentary party? They're well hidden.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

I'm a bit weary of any Fianna Fáil politician who is talking about how we have to focus on the needs of the business community (as McGuinness is on the Late Late tonight).

Maybe after all the cost this alliance between FF and these "businessmen" has cost us it is time to focus on the needs of Irish society, rather than some little clique within our society.

I don't trust him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gnxx

This is the start of the end for the government.

I very much doubt that McGuinness is acting alone. Who will be next to speak out?

Brian Cowen has an interesting problem now. Will he support the disaster that is Mary Coughlan? Will he try to have McGuinness kicked out of the party?

I wonder if we will see phase 2 of a campaign in the Sunday newspapers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Nothing p*sses me off more than someone who will talk the talk but won't walk the walk. Why on earth would you stay in an organisation that you feel is badly run, badly led and basically utterly incapable???

If that's how you feel and you think you can do better, then get out and start up a new party and go at it! Never been a better time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

It's becoming increasingly obvious that FF are deliberately pissing off more and more people in order to get voted out, so that someone else has to clean up their mess.

I mean, incompetent and all as they are, they can't be THAT incompetent, can they ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

John McGuinness is the most ignorant man Ive ever had the displeasure of sharing a room with.

And to think, usually Id sympathise with the guest on the late late show.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    A "lot of good people" in the Fianna Fáil parliamentary party? They're well hidden.

Sorry I meant to say marginally better.. not necessarily good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Sorry I meant to say marginally better.. not necessarily good.

Mary C and Biffo are the talent the rest are just hangers on.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

I agree she's totally useless...there coz she's half presentable as a politician goes...

I think she is there because she poses no threat to Biffo.
    ...while minister for agriculture , a heckler asked her of she knew the difference between a cow and a hefer....she declined to answer.....

Not so easy to answer, given the EU concept of the "Once bulled heifer" as part of a concession to Irish farmers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

kbannon wrote: »

Exactly my sentiments when I heard of his outburst on Radio 1 yesterday.
    he's trying to distance the local level party members form the parliamentary party Fianna fail coz they're afraid they will get hammered in the local elections coming up...

Well his son is running for re-election in Kilkenny...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

gnxx wrote: »
    This is the start of the end for the government.

I very much doubt that McGuinness is acting alone. Who will be next to speak out?

Brian Cowen has an interesting problem now. Will he support the disaster that is Mary Coughlan? Will he try to have McGuinness kicked out of the party?

I wonder if we will see phase 2 of a campaign in the Sunday newspapers.

He'll probably do the same as he did with the economy since it started going down the toilet, sweet fu*k all!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

FFS she' bloody useless. WAS a half decent Minister for Agriculture
    I wonder if she ever learnt the difference between liquid and creamery milk!
    danjo wrote: »
    ...and because like B. Lenihan, she supported Biffo's quest to lead the party.
    Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Mary C and Biffo are the talent the rest are just hangers on.:D
    What talent has Mary C (apart from putting her foot in it)? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

danjo wrote: »

Not so easy to answer, given the EU concept of the "Once bulled heifer" as part of a concession to Irish farmers.

dont worry she still wouldnt know!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

McGuinness has a talent for foaming at the mouth, he was in disfavour with Ahern because of it, probably would have had a Junior Ministry earlier otherwise given that he and his colleagues did pull out the electorate in Kilk-Carlow last time round.

He's probably been dropped because of some of his outbursts since he was appointed, and now he's off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

...and of course all over 70's are filthy rich - eh NO!

Older people struggle just as much as younger people. The truth be known older people have more than likely paid a lot more into the system than younger people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Nothing p*sses me off more than someone who will talk the talk but won't walk the walk. Why on earth would you stay in an organisation that you feel is badly run, badly led and basically utterly incapable???

If that's how you feel and you think you can do better, then get out and start up a new party and go at it! Never been a better time!
    kbannon wrote: »

Why would he? One can have passion and remain within a party. Look up that Paddy Hillery speech from 1971 (‘Ye can have Boland but ye can’t have Fianna Fáil.’). McGuinness appears to have a passion for the core values of FF. Not that anyone knows what they are any more but I respect that passion.

As I've said many times before, the trouble with FF is that it is a party that has been far too long in power. They are not all necessarily evil, although most of the current batch IMO are inept. From a FF point of view they will need people like him to refocus the party when they go into opposition.

FG in 2002 were in an absolute mess and the "unelectable" Enda Kenny revamped and rebuilt it. Should disgruntled FG TDs have walked at that time?

If he is really that bad why has he been in the Dail since 1997? Obviously he's doing something right locally. Yes he was playing to the crowd but would he be getting as much abuse if he were a FG or Labour TD? There is always a need for one of these in each party, Deasy is still at it in FG and Stagg used to perform that function in Labour. Whatever else can be levelled at him , abrasive personality, loud mouth, jilted minister, he answered every question posed to him. Not sure how the question of his personality comes up tbh. Politics is not about nice people and people will have far more respect for effective politicians.

Advertisement