Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuisance calls off Pocket Money Debt Collection

Options
  • 24-04-2009 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

These guys have been wrecking my head, does anyone know where I stand legally?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Do you owe money? if so then pay it, end of debt collector problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

a bit more detail might help......

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Bomberman

I owe my last supplier money going back ages. I levelled with the guy and told him cash is tight at the moment but the fecker still got these b*stards after me, the calls are cloggin up my phone line every day - it can't be legal!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Kukamunga

... times probably tight for him too mate. did you have money to pay him when he originally invoiced you? i take it this was before the recession?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

good. pay your debts you leech.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

That's their job; to pester you in to paying.
    Where you stand legally is that you owe money and a debt collection agency have been empowered to remind you that you owe money.

But it's some kind of autodialler thing calling me that's why I'm saying it can't be legal!!

is it calling you now?? at 1am on a saturday mornin??

nah they call the office everyday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Change your number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Pay your debt. They're not doing anything illegal.

Their next step is probably to send someone to your office, daily, requesting payment for the outstanding debt. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Bomberman wrote: »
    I owe my last supplier money going back ages. I levelled with the guy and told him cash is tight at the moment but the fecker still got these b*stards after me, the calls are cloggin up my phone line every day - it can't be legal!!

So, you owe a guy money "FOR AGES" and now he has called in a debt collection company.

Whats your gripe? Any reasonable minded person would do the same. If you owe your "LAST SUPPLIER" and you have not paid, then do so now.

The guy could be at the end of his tether and struggling to stay afloat - and you are concerned about phone calls ?????

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You owe the money to someone they need the money so they are doing nothing illegal looking for the money, just pay it and they'll leave you alone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

The OP obviously doesn't have the money to pay the bill.

Have you spoken with the debt collectors and come to an arrangement for installments?

This is happening to small businesses all over the country. Stock ordered three months ago is sold and goes to pay the rent first, then other essentials, and low and behold, when the payment is due after 90 days the cash is not there. "Just pay the bill FFS" is not very helpful.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Im not au fait with the legalities, but it sound like they are not cold calling, and are within their rights to phone you. As a matter of interest, when you do take the call, what goes on? Are you telling them to stuff it, making payment arrangements, promising to pay, and then not? Without knowing any of that I cant say if they are being the nuisance, or you are.

Bottom line is, when you owe a company money, they tend to bug you for it, be they banks, credit card companies, or individuals. So id advise making a fixed payment plan with the debt collectors, or your original supplier, and sticking to it. In this climate, we all know you cant get blood from a stone, but you can make some effort. Once you are seen to play ball, they should have no reason to plague you with calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Dialogue is a very useful tool. Did you try and talk to your creditor?

Did you make any attempt whatsoever, to pay your bill?

Have you shown any interest in paying this bill?

It looks, from what you say, you have not.

Be thankful they have only got a normal debt collector onto it. Have you ever heard of Viper debt collection services? He wouldn't ring you, he would walk up to you "for a chat".

how often do they call u? have you been onto the pocket money debt collection website? says you have to listen to the call through and confirm or it'll keep callin u, could htis be the prob?

Kukamunga wrote: »
    how often do they call u? have you been onto the pocket money debt collection website? says you have to listen to the call through and confirm or it'll keep callin u, could htis be the prob?

where on the website.?

Dialogue is a very useful tool. Did you try and talk to your creditor?

Did you make any attempt whatsoever, to pay your bill?

Have you shown any interest in paying this bill?

It looks, from what you say, you have not.

Be thankful they have only got a normal debt collector onto it. Have you ever heard of Viper debt collection services? He wouldn't ring you, he would walk up to you "for a chat".

btu their not normal what im sayin!!! theres no one to talk to its an autodialler thing!! I dont have the money now but how do i explain dat??

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

where on the website.?
    Theres a link which says to click if you want to stop the calls.

The information they give says you must listen to the call in full AND agree to pay up, or dispute the payment in order to stop them calling. Details of how to pay are given onsite.

Otherwise try:
    Pocket Money Debt Collection
    18-19 College Green
    Dublin 2

E-mail us: info@pocketmoney.ie
    sales@pocketmoney.ie

• Advertisement

thanks guys, I rang supplier last wk and told him bank had stopped my overdraft dats why I cant pay now but he didnt listen

I know I owe this money seriously I know and i will pay it but i dont think it can be legal for them to keep callin like this

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

thanks guys, I rang supplier last wk and told him bank had stopped my overdraft dats why I cant pay now but he didnt listen

I know I owe this money seriously I know and i will pay it but i dont think it can be legal for them to keep callin like this

I would bet its very legal to keep calling you. Until you pay some or all of it off they will keep pestering you about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it illegal. I certainly can't think of any law they are breaking. They are calling you to remind you of your debt and encourage you to pay it.

Until you pay the debt, they won't stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

This has to be a great advert for these guys - I have 3 feckers who owe me amounts of €360 - €840 each from last year and simply refuse to take my calls or enter into any form of arrangement - I've even offered to accept payment over several months.

Court is costly but these guys look rather good!

As for the OP - make a wriiten offer to these guys that you'll pay over x months and it will be accepted. No judge will award judgement where an effort has been made. However No effort = no pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

call the guards and report these as nuisance calls and also report them to your phone service operator and also to the malicious calls bureau who will look into these autodialed calls which imo sound illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

The use of the autodialer here is what makes there actions ILLEGAL as that is cold calling, also what is the legal position on these parasites, why when the contract is not with them are they allowed to interfere.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

The use of the autodialer here is what makes there actions ILLEGAL as that is cold calling, also what is the legal position on these parasites, why when the contract is not with them are they allowed to interfere.

MC

they are in the contract now if the debt has been sold to them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

The use of the autodialer here is what makes there actions ILLEGAL

Is this true? Do you have anything to back this up? Not saying you are wrong, it's just that I can't see what's wrong with their tactics, nor could I imagine we have laws that are that specific.

OK, if they were calling 24-7 blocking the phone line and preventing a person from using their phone - then that would be an issue, but they are merely calling once a day, to remind the debtor to arrange a payment plan, and as soon as they agree/dispute - the calls stop!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

MC

Source? Sky use autodiallers I think. Dell definitely do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Debt collectors have absolutely no powers here. None. Zilch. They cannot force you to pay, they cannot come to your house/business and seize property, they can't threaten you. They have ZERO powers.

The ONLY way a "debt collector" can get money off you is to take you to the district court. There it's all legal and you can fight your case to the judge to pay a certain amount a week etc. But it's rarely used for individuals as it's simply too costly.

The only way the creditor can forcefully seize assets is through the county sheriff, who can be employed on foot of a district court order. And that is the only way he can be used.

Debt collectors are just scaremongers for the uninformed. They'll pester and try to scare you into paying, but unless they are going to take you to court, they well know there is diddly squat else they can do.

Pay what you owe. But ignore the phone calls. If they get threatening, inform the guards.

Advertisement