Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Krakow-Suggestions

Options
  • 24-04-2009 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

Hey. I'm heading to Krakow next Tueday for four nights with my girlfriend.

I've not done too much research yet but just wondering if anyone has any ideas or things that should not be missed in your opinion.

I know Auschwitz is nearby so probably will make a visit.
    Any good restaurants/bars?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

go to the salt mines well worth a visit also get a private tour of the camps its only about 20 euros xtra and well worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

+1 on the Salt Mines, probably the best thing to do in Krakow. The size of them is incredible and the sculpture of a church made out of salt has to be seen to be believed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭shipwreck

Was in krakow recently, Auschwitz is an amazing but little depressing experience, wasnt mad about the salt mines. Thought it was ok but I would have prefered to do one of the communism tours they have available. there are a few different different types and they sounded really good! They are advertised in all the tourist offices.

The Jewish quarter is also brilliant. Schindlers List was made there and you can see the ghettos almost as they were 65 years ago and schindlers factory. We visited a jewish cemetery also. There are loads of tours of the area and trails around to visit.

Wawel castle is also worth a visit and look out for the Krakow dragon breathing real fire!!!

As for food, the best we ate was at an Irish bar called the Irish Mbassey....food was incredible, huge potions and sooo cheap! There is also a very cool cafe bar beside it! They are both down in the old town.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

The castle is fun. Make sure you get a decent bus to Auschwitz though, as standing for an hour in a hot, crowded van was not fun... Also, there's a really nice, cheap Tex-Mex place in the old square that I loved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

mailto:taxi@cracow-life.com

i forgot about this i used it last year it cost 70zloty or 25€ when you come out of arrivals there is sombody waiting for you with your name on a sign wife was very impressed ,its your private taxi to the city if you get a nice bloke use him to see the sites privately my fellow thought he was on a race track all the time but he was nice. Food in kracow is very good and cheap i found the shopping centers the same as here people were either very nice or very rude but mostly very nice enjoy your trip

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭SuperStarHoney

Auschwitz is a must.

We also did one of the communist tours, think it was called crazy tours or something like that. Anyways they pick you up in an old clapped out banger communist car and bring you to the outskirts of Krakow where there is a large purpose built communist town. We found it very interesting although I thought I was actually going to die driving round in the car as it didn't seem to have any breaks.

We did the jewish museum too which was great, especially combined with Auschwitz.

I didn't think the castle was great, not really much to see or do there compared to other castles like Prague, Budapest etc.

The shopping is very good and there's a huge shopping centre just on the outskirts of the old town.

We didn't really have any memorable meals there but there are tons of good pubs.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 atmmusa

so how was the trip cashback???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

atmmusa wrote: »
    so how was the trip cashback???

Thanks for asking, it was great.
    Weather helped a lot, hot and sunny every day. Beautiful.

In fact we didn't really do many 'activities'. We did go to Auschwitz on a nice bus. The tour was good but a little rushed. Also the tour guide was a little over the top in her delivery, obviously a former drama student.
    But it was well worth seeing, Birkenau was very chilling.

Spent most of the time just walking around the city, drinking at cafes etc. The Jewish quarter is very interesting and there's loads of good cafes and bars.
    The food in general was very good and cheap compared to here. Ate at a top class French restaurant called Cyrano De Bergerac which was lvoely and the bill came to around 50euro for two. Some very good Italian restaurants too and a nice Greek (I think) called Mezze just north of the square.
    Stayed in a great hostel called Mama's doubles whcih I'd definitely recommend.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 irwin

mailto:taxi@cracow-life.com

i forgot about this i used it last year it cost 70zloty or 25€ when you come out of arrivals there is sombody waiting for you with your name on a sign wife was very impressed ,its your private taxi to the city if you get a nice bloke use him to see the sites privately my fellow thought he was on a race track all the time but he was nice. Food in kracow is very good and cheap i found the shopping centers the same as here people were either very nice or very rude but mostly very nice enjoy your trip

haha, i think i had the same taxi man, got him on the way back to the airport....i thought i was going to die on more than one occassion, some of his double/tripple car overtaking on roads with cars coming down the opposite side just as fast was crazy, an experience in itself! nice car tho!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Anyone go to the Salt Mines without paying for a private tour i advance? Like got public transport out and payed for one there? Was it cheaper?

Advertisement